Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullkontact

Cross Bow

1 Short Bow (Un Strung)

1 wooden Handle, 2 planks, 1 shaft, 2 bow strings.

= Crossbow

shaft + carving knife = Wooden Bolt

1 Wooden bolt + Bolt Tip = Iron tipped Bolt

Crossbows are very powerful weapons, but also very slow things, what I'm suggesting for Crossbows in wurm is thus.

You have your crossbow, and move it to your hands.

Right click Crossbow and click "Wind" This is a 30 second timer to wind the string back into place.

Then you Load your Bolt into the device, a further 5 seconds.

Then right right click the enemy and select fire. A further 10 seconds to aim and pull the trigger.

Thus in total is 45 seconds, a long time in PVP. This is a big downside.

The benefits are, they are very accurate when in optimal Range 1-10 tiles

They are very powerful

They have a maximum range of 15 tiles

Bow strings should take damage with each shot. Any strings under 10 QL should snap on first shot.

This adds a new weapon that could be deadly in numbers

sad to say it but i agree with waffles..... no crossbows please.

i hate catapults too, but we are stuck with them i suppose.

I like the idea. But it should be a re-loading time. And it should only be good in short-distance. (Only read the topic name)

sad to say it but i agree with waffles..... no crossbows please.

i hate catapults too, but we are stuck with them i suppose.

I suspose as it is mechanical object there is a 50:50 chance that when its fired it will fail and break, needing to be repaired on the battlefield, making a powerful but unreliable weapon.

How many motherfucking times do I have to explain to you people that making something rare or hard to use does not make it balanced

When did I say it would be balanced, it was a suggestion anyway, there was no need to swear. Give construction critism.

OMG it's archery it'll be unbalanced NERF NERF NERF

I see Crossbows more like a Quick-shot Small bow with a long reload timer.

Fire quick and then reload for 20 seconds. Do not need to be any more advanced than that. It would share the same stats as the Small bow but be better at penetrating armor like Chain mail and Plate.

Judging by the whining that goes back and forth every time bows are adjusted, I can't imagine why Rolf would want to implement something such as this. As soon as one person got hit with a crossbow they would start a thread complaining they are too powerful.

Im fine with crossbows personally as long as they are the more "primitive" versions which took a significant time to reset. In contrast to archers who could get off alot more shots in the same period of time, or various specialized cranking mechanisms which greatly sped up the process.

One can still have a mechanically simple crossbow that fits within Wurm's tech. The crossbow would hit harder while taking -ALOT- longer to get off another shot. One could have Wurm crossbows require two steps before being fired (akin to catapults) thus enabling a player to have a crossbow ready to fire immediately with no "shooting" timer as in regular bows.

In addition since players could then, in theory, carry a few dozen preset crossbows... make them heavy enough to discourage such. This would be perfectly in tune with a simulation as most crossbows were heavy and cumbersome. Also having the strings decay faster over time from the strain while "preset" would help as well if desired.

However, I feel there is still a bit of work to be done fine-tuning archery before introducing another long distance weapon.

I like the preset firing Klaa you could then have a slightly trained archer but more trained fighter shoot it then switch to his main weapon. MOW EM DOWNeth

How many motherfucking times do I have to explain to you people that making something rare or hard to use does not make it balanced

Where did I mention it's rare?

Where did I mention it's balanced

Get over yourself Waffles, LIFE isn't balanced, bitching and moaning about it doesn't make it balanced. Why should warefare be balanced? It all depends on numbers and weapons, that's all. There's no need for balance at all

Hey guess what? Video games are not life. I'm sure if Superjesus had the opportunity to make life balanced, he would.

And I was talking to Mollymolswafux

no mechanical objects in wurm please

So, you don't want bows? Or hammers? Tools are mechanical objects that work on the principles of mechanics.

You know very well what I mean when I say that.

You'd flame and insult and swear if anybody else made that mistake.

Nub

actually i'll accept mechanical devices like cross bows if there is a % of it misfiring resulting in the severe damage of/to the person using it.

same as it should be for catapults.

all that tension, on a damaged unit should inflict massive damage if it goes critical. a cross bow would be personal damage(possibly lethal), a catapult should be lethal area effect.

You know very well what I mean when I say that.

You'd flame and insult and swear if anybody else made that mistake.

Nub

Doubtful, I never get upset over semantics.

Crazy how you stuck "nub" at the end of that. I'm pretty sure that's a textbook flame, right there.

waffles.... seriously dude, your derailing a decent topic, take it somewhere else. yes they insulted you, and yes you should feel the need to vent, but man. do it in a pm or something(barracks is a good place too), this constant bickering in threads is bad form. It's not just you either, so im not singling you out.

i actually want to discuss cross bows and such, its a topic worthy discussing. most of fk's topics have some effort put into them. so i tend to read them a few times....

i dont accept swearing in forums where young players have access however. so try to keep it civil please.

Xbows are normally used because of lack of skill needed like there is for a bow.

I would like to see Xbows used in this way, make them heavy as they are, require bolts and not arrows and lower the range then that of a bow.

Also you should make them powerful vs plate armors as thats also what they were made for. While also making bows less effective vs plate (which I believe it already is).

I dont have a problem with Xbows in the game. I would like to see very little skill needed to use them but also make them harder to make and very heavy.

This would also find the need to make longbows and other bows better in the hands of trained people as thats the main difference with a Xbow vs a Longbow. So with a high skilled Longbowman they should do more damage then someone with a Xbow even if they are very skilled with it. However a Low skilled Longbowman vs a Low killed Xbowman the Xbowman should be able to hit more and do top end damage.

Also make STR a major factor in Bows so that if you have high STR and high Skill you can do even more damage.

Problem I see with this is that few people would take the time to train Longbow or they would be overpowered if they did make it to the top.

Actually no, this is a simulation of a fantasy world.

Real world time has no hold here

We refer to Wurm being Medieval as this is the closest we can place it in accordance to Earth's history in europe but other than that, if there were lasers fetched in, it wouldn't really fit the theme but it's a sim of a fantasy world

Well its a good idea but the timing part is not as good

Cross bows are very inaccurate but very strong.It should only take about 1-5 seconds to /pull strings to place.1-2 seconds to load a bolt.And about 5-8 seconds to aim and fire.The problem is that really if its inaccurate and longer loading time then a long bow, whats the point of using it?

[me=shangtsung]runs into battle with a cart and inventory full of loaded crossbows[/me]