Sign in to follow this  
jackjones

Why this helps me...

My perspective..

WO has population issues. You don't have to prove it to me, because I can see it. Last year, I would always find a group of newbies hanging around the Summerholt settlement token, but nowadays not a soul. (We blame summer.)  Also, I see issues with the economy telling me that the population is shrinking: Tons of cool stuff for sale, not a lot of buyers; where once you could buy silver coins, now silver coins are hard to find.

We need people.. We need new people to give tweaked out hatchets to. "Yes, you can make a house all your own to stop those wolves from one-shotting you. Cut down that tree, here's some nails, saw some planks. Yeah, yeah, you gotta right click it."

So, of course, we need an influx of newbs to WO. How would you accomplish this? Advertising a 10-year old MMORG is nothing without newness, like an expansion pack or a roman numeral. Bridges just wasn't enough of a draw. Some dormant players came out of hiding to throw up bridges, then went back under the covers. No newbs came for bridges. Bridges were just used placate the well-established player base.

We need people..

I learned about the game, from all places.. A post on 4Chan/b. WU will tell others about WO.

So, WU is a good thing for the following reasons:

• Based on everyone's reaction here or in game chat, none of us are leaving WO for WU.
  • Publicity about Wurm in general can only help the population WO.
  • Added revenue for Code Club means they won't be shutting down before I master yoyo. :)

Yours in Wurm,

JJ

• Like 7

Its quite possible that WU will bring players to WO in the long-term.

I suggested something that would allow the MMO to benefit from MU:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130580-30-days-premium-with-wurm-unlimited/

Whether that happens is another question, but its dooable. :)

Steam has millions of players, and I'm willing to be at least a few of those will be interested in the MMO.

The alternative option is a steam version of the MMO launcher.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 1

This is a good and balanced perspective, which makes sense.

Still worried.

As a dormant, on-again off-again player, I am super happy about Wurm Unlimited. I've been wanting to come back since bridges/staircases were released but the thought of having to gain my bearings and build myself up again before I can actually do what I want was too daunting of a prospect, especially since I know I'll just abandon again in a few weeks and it's sub money down the drain.

With Wurm Unlimited, I can buy it, have my server and just jump on with my friends whenever we get that urge to play a bit of Wurm, without feeling annoyed or guilty that we're wasting our own or each others time.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree that his is going to be an interesting times. I tend to play with a few friends all the time, but none of them were interested in WO as it was too demanding for them to be able to commit enough time to it. But after I have told them about WU, they are now all being really excited about playing together on a private server where we can balance the progression just the way it remain enjoable for all of us and can experiment witht he game freely.

And after that, I would not be surprised of one or the other would be interested in tackling a big challenge and community in WO.

Even if they don't, their purchase will have funneld money towards CodeClub that they otherwise would not have spent and therefore help Wurm remaining a thing.

And I was right... My location, once desolate, is now teeming with new blood.