Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Why This Rolf?

If this was true, how does Wurm have a player base at all?

There are plenty of instant gratification games out there, yet wurm still has a player base. ;)

As for targeting a young audience, that is debatable. Not everyone on steam is "young". None of the 44 people on my FL are below the age of 24. I'm sure plenty of steam users in WO have friends around their own age too (or much older/younger).

Saying that absolutely nobody at all will be interested in WO when coming from WU is nothing but unfounded speculation at the moment. We'll only know which way its going to go once WU is released.

Really? I thought it was about the same price as most other MMOs. Around €8/month (€16 for 2 months).

EDIT: I decided to check a few MMO prices. Wurm is actually cheaper than a lot of them. :)

It has a player base because it was not always trying to market the 9 to 15 year old age group. It also has players from a different gaming era. SO the decision has been made to ...in all respects....abandon the MMO platform in favor of a different direction.

You cant have a small dev team spread across what will now be in effect 3 different games. PVP PVE and WU. Where is all the dev time going to come from? They cant keep up now and were going to add yet another area where dev time will be needed to develop UI's and mini programs to support world building and modding.

You cant is the answer...something has to give...something has to go...or they will half ass it all and undermine thier own attempts at success.

Its completely unrealistic to assume that 5 people with a handful of volunteers can manage this, its just not going to happen, something has to give. So one then looks at whats not pulling its own weight....well that would be pvp. On the MMO version I think its gone except for a very small handfull of die hards that will never give an inch no matter what the circumstance. PVE is next as the markets suffer from a much smaller population, so those that like a robust market are going to look elsewhere. Over and over and over one can see the downward spiral in this for the MMO version....The blanket overhead in running it....this will be come a true decisive factor in any decision to keep it alive.

Every logical piece of evidence witnessed in the gaming industry and WURMs past suggest it is the beginning of the end for the MMO.

The MMO version needs a lot of work to make it viable and they simply either wont do it or my own belief -they have given up on it as a profitable platform.

When I see renewed interest by Rolf in the MMO version then and only then will I beieve other wise.....there is simply too much evidence to the contrary and its coming from everyone involved with CC.

The MMO version is in its death throws as long as CC goes down this path...and quite honestly I think its exactly what they want.

Edited by sunsvortex

Not to mention that maybe some of the players who have quit WO in the past might just have moved to WU if that had been around back then -- and some may even come back to play WU this time. I don't see anything bad about that.

Bingo

• Like 1

i have kind of a different view on this whole thing. You see i just started wurm, played for a week, loved it, and bought premium. I have friends and a alliance and all was well in the world. But i'm not biased because i'm not nearly as invested in the game as a lot you folks. I'm looking at a lot of these comments with a clear mind and to be honest, most of them make zero sense. like for example, take the original post. It talks about how people are going to play WU, have fun, then come to WO and hate it because of the grind. I think it's pretty obvious the direction this game is taking is to get away from the grind. Basically i'm picturing, assuming that this takes off, that the goal is to be a more in depth version of mine craft. Which is a pretty cool idea honestly

like picture this Wurm but with the popularity of a blockbuster game. Now you have a bunch of servers all with hundreds of people on it, AND you can choose which one to play from a server list! want to roleplay, join the roleplay server and have tons of other people to RP with. or you can have a private server and build with friends. Seem all pretty cool in theory if you ask me.

HOWEVER i do understand why some of you are upset. you've invested a lot in this game not just financially but i'm sure if your like me you all have friends and all that too on this game. But i ask you did you really think it would stay this way forever? slowly losing people until wurm was no more? isn't it better that they try and do something with this game rather than just wait till it dies?

i mean personally if i was more invested i might actually be excited for my favorite indy game to finally have a chance at going big.

it's a risk either way no doubt about it. But rather than panic why don't we try this new WU and see what happens? I mean why not? you spent all that money so you could have fun right? well now they are using your money to try and improve the game and your all complaining because they aren't doing it right? meh i just don't get it personally. 

P.S. if your complaining because of financial reasons it's your own damn fault for spending that much money on a small indy game like this. I mean personally it think pretty dumb to spend that much money on any game but it's especially stupid to spend anywhere near the amount of money it take to upset your financial situation. AND on small game like this? i mean come on you had to know this was going to happen eventually right?

Edited by TheGildedHero
  • Like 2

Really? I thought it was about the same price as most other MMOs. Around €8/month (€16 for 2 months).

EDIT: I decided to check a few MMO prices. Wurm is actually cheaper than a lot of them. :)

Its difficult to spend about 13USD per a month and experience all WO has to offer. Whereas almost all P2P games have multi month discounts that put their monthly cost at this point.

I do agree to play Wurm in its most basic form you can play for cheep. imo, you need far more extras to experience all WO has to offer: a main + at least one priest + a medium sized deed (3 or 4 silver montly ) + some spending sliver every month. This far exceed 13 usd per month. I"m sure you'll disagree as will others as whether this is needed but i think it is. Most people who think wurm is expensive agree on this point too.

Lately in WO I feel pushed to grind profitable things so I can subsidize if not pay my gaming expensive with silver. I'm very interesting in paying a single up front fee to play WU as much as I want and never pay again. I heard a rumor of 50 (not sure of the currency) which I would have no problem with at all.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 2

I also see motivation to continue playing WO tanking for many, many, many players because they can buy WU and not have to worry about decay, deed upkeep, monthly fees, griefers, etc. 

Uh... exactly. Why would anyone want to play a game to WORRY?

when i first played minecraft it was over ten years ago. i downloaded a copy from the pirate bay (because i was sick of paying money for games that sucked) even though it was a measly $5. After playing it for hours i wanted to play with others so i purchased the full version and joined a server. I feel like WU may be like that. people may enjoy playing alone but if they are like me they enjoy community and will find a server with one. Either a private or one hosted by code Club.

You mean Minecraft existed before 2006? It wasn't even released to the public as a playable, downloadable game until May of 2009... And that was the Alpha stage.

• Like 1

This news makes me so sad.  I see a mass exodus of casual WO players forsaking WO for WU.  I see many Steam players buying the game, getting excited about playing, but becoming spoiled with insta-everything and trying WO only to leave after a month because they can't handle the grind.  I also see motivation to continue playing WO tanking for many, many, many players because they can buy WU and not have to worry about decay, deed upkeep, monthly fees, griefers, etc.  

Why not just release the game to Steam to bring in more players to your existing WO and leave it at that?

Rolf, can you please open up to your players and tell us your motivations behind this decision so at least we can understand what you are trying to do with this?

Even if WO hits Steam, my friends will not play it. They're not interested in monthly fees at all. They would likely be pretty isolationist anyway, so I think we're better off just looking into WU.

I miss WO sometimes but I just can't justify the monthly fee when I can squeeze maybe 4-6 hours a week out of the game. Not worth it for me at all.

Funny.....

For pretty much all the time I played WO, if someone has griefer issues, members of the "community" will jump that person, blame him, show absolute dismay and contempt at that person for wanting the griefer disciplined, yell that "it's a sandbox and how one plays (read:steal and grief) shouldn't be restricted, now GO WALL UP EVERYTHING YOU OWN WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT!!", with the usual splattering of "If you don't like it, find another game".

WU shows up and I see many of that crowd crying to the heavens that it'll drive people away from WO.

image.jpg

• Like 4

Funny.....

For pretty much all the time I played WO, if someone has griefer issues, members of the "community" will jump that person, blame him, show absolute dismay and contempt at that person for wanting the griefer disciplined, yell that "it's a sandbox and how one plays (read:steal and grief) shouldn't be restricted, now GO WALL UP EVERYTHING YOU OWN WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT!!", with the usual splattering of "If you don't like it, find another game".

WU shows up and I see many of that crowd crying to the heavens that it'll drive people away from WO.

image.jpg

Did you consider that those who "cry to the heavens" may be different individuals than those who said "If you don't like it, find another game" ?

Im also stongly opposed to those griefers, thieves and scammers as you might remember, but that doesnt mean i want to see WO die (as in rapidly dwindling numbers of players)

Did you consider that those who "cry to the heavens" may be different individuals than those who said "If you don't like it, find another game" ?

Im also stongly opposed to those griefers, thieves and scammers as you might remember, but that doesnt mean i want to see WO die (as in rapidly dwindling numbers of players)

Oh I know, and I don't want WO to die either even though I left both times on a sour note, the last time promising myself I wouldn't waste time and money to be a potential griefers' plaything.

Also wasn't too pleased with how you can't up and take a month's break without losing half your stuff, unlike pretty much anything else on the MMO market.

Now it's different, I can either pause my own server if solo, if friends join it'll be people I can leave my deeds open to.  I'll pay for that.

Main thing about logging into a game, at least for me, is to RELAX, and that just wasn't happening on WO, specially since I refused and continue to refuse to make any deed of mine into a war deed just to keep the tweens away.

Finally gonna get to have my cake AND eat it too, because people who say that that is a bad thing must be the biggest suckers at birthday parties ;-P

• Like 1

I freakin' LOVE this announcement.  I've been waiting for this since the first day I joined wurm 4 years ago.  I will still pay for and play WO, as that is it's own unique experience.  However, nothing, NOTHING can compare to the experience of a pocket server for my girlfriend and I to do on as we please.  

Some people love the game and hate the community, just sayin'.  Rolf saw a niche and is catering to it.  If you don't like the entire idea, you don't have to play it. 

All the people who are complaining about "loss of community" aren't going anywhere.  You'll still have each other.  People who are going to outright leave WO for WU likely dislike and do not participate in the community to begin with.  Or they previously quit because of the monthly cost or the issues involved with it being an MMO.  It kind of makes me giggle that people are outright complaining that people will no longer be forced to deal with them in order to play Wurm.

If you actually believe that WU is going to "kill" WO, perhaps that says a lot about your "community".

Edited by JackBinimbul
  • Like 1

Well, I played a couple of games in the past with people telling that the next game will surely kill "my" game, and then... a few people left, a few of the few came back, but if a game has a niche, it also has a player base.

Yes, some people will go for WU because everything is handed on a silver plate, and I see nothing bad in that. It's their spare time, they should play a game they like.

Others wil try WU and come to WO because they like the general concept but DON'T like getting everything on a silver plate. And that is fine too.

And if WU wasn't there, then maybe LiF would be the falling sky, or RoK, or whatever other similar game comes along in the future.

PS: My first online game that was said to be killed by another game was Dark Age of Camelot - and its still playing, albeit on a smaller player base than in its early days.

Edited by Beregrost

Well, I played a couple of games in the past with people telling that the next game will surely kill "my" game, and then... a few people left, a few of the few came back, but if a game has a niche, it also has a player base.

Yes, some people will go for WU because everything is handed on a silver plate, and I see nothing bad in that. It's their spare time, they should play a game they like.

Others wil try WU and come to WO because they like the general concept but DON'T like getting everything on a silver plate. And that is fine too.

And if WU wasn't there, then maybe LiF would be the falling sky, or RoK, or whatever other similar game comes along in the future.

PS: My first online game that was said to be killed by another game was Dark Age of Camelot - and its still playing, albeit on a smaller player base than in its early days.

It's not about a "silver plate" its about controlling your gaming environment and having the freedom to change many different things within the game world to suit your liking.  More options is always better and getting away from the riff raff is the icing on the cake! :D

What I see, is the many hundreds and thousands of people who got turned off by WO and have already left for other things, picking up WU, tweaking things so the game is similar to WO but not quite and actually enjoying the game. I also see the many many people who want to play WO but can't afford the constant subscription model that WO requires to really get much out of it, instead, they'll pick up WU, play it exactly like WO but better, and getting a great experience out of it. I can also see people like one of the other posters in this thread, who pick up WU, play it as intended and be introduced to a truly amazing game and migrate into WO because it provides the best experience they'll be able to get.

What it really means, is that Wurm makes money. More money, means more development. It equals out to a much better game for every player. It means money that would otherwise not make it to CC is going to now. You're always going to have kids who'll buy into it, hate it and never play it again, so what? It's just more money going towards development of our favorite game. Everyone wins with this choice, and what if some of the maps go empty, so rolf will shut them down, but i honestly don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

I've played Wurm for over 4 years now, and no matter what, if it's new and different it's opposed by what seems like a majority, but it's not, it's opposed by a voluble minority.

This is not to say that those who are against WU are necessarily wrong, some of their points have merit, WU could result in a lower player base than we have at present, but if this is caused by people leaving WO for WU that proves that WO is not all things to all men, (and women of course). We should hope for WU's success, and hope that it brings in new players who have played WU and understand the game better than those who log in on the tutorial and run straight into the portal, because far to many of those players last a few hours to a week before giving up, because Wurm is hard on new players, I know, I was one, and if it wasn't for other players in chat and in local, I'd still be playing Minecraft full time.

I came to Wurm from Minecraft, because it was recommended by Notch as his main inspiration for Wurm.

But I was used to having everything handed to me, craftin in Minecraft was easy, as was terraforming and mining, yet I stayed and learned, and pretty soon Minecraft became a playground when I needed some downtime from the demands of living on Indy, (back then there was little choice, indy or Wild was it).

I see WU the same way as Minecraft, a place to play, to mess about, to make stuff easy and cheap, to get away from the daily grind and endless mob killing ;)

Wu won't stop me playing WO, yes it may take some time from WO, but I'm in a bit of a lull just now anyway, but WO is where my heart is, because of the people, those infuriating, loveable, annoying and irreplaceable people I see on chat every day, Wo is, and always will be where the real Wurmians live, WU is where I'll go for a break.

WU will only kill Wurm if you set out to kill Wurm for yourself, over 4 years and it's never let me down, indeed, I've more often let Wurm down by burning out and taking time outs, now maybe I won't have to.

• Like 2

I've played Wurm for over 4 years now, and no matter what, if it's new and different it's opposed by what seems like a majority, but it's not, it's opposed by a voluble minority.

This is not to say that those who are against WU are necessarily wrong, some of their points have merit, WU could result in a lower player base than we have at present, but if this is caused by people leaving WO for WU that proves that WO is not all things to all men, (and women of course). We should hope for WU's success, and hope that it brings in new players who have played WU and understand the game better than those who log in on the tutorial and run straight into the portal, because far to many of those players last a few hours to a week before giving up, because Wurm is hard on new players, I know, I was one, and if it wasn't for other players in chat and in local, I'd still be playing Minecraft full time.

I came to Wurm from Minecraft, because it was recommended by Notch as his main inspiration for Wurm.

But I was used to having everything handed to me, craftin in Minecraft was easy, as was terraforming and mining, yet I stayed and learned, and pretty soon Minecraft became a playground when I needed some downtime from the demands of living on Indy, (back then there was little choice, indy or Wild was it).

I see WU the same way as Minecraft, a place to play, to mess about, to make stuff easy and cheap, to get away from the daily grind and endless mob killing ;)

Wu won't stop me playing WO, yes it may take some time from WO, but I'm in a bit of a lull just now anyway, but WO is where my heart is, because of the people, those infuriating, loveable, annoying and irreplaceable people I see on chat every day, Wo is, and always will be where the real Wurmians live, WU is where I'll go for a break.

WU will only kill Wurm if you set out to kill Wurm for yourself, over 4 years and it's never let me down, indeed, I've more often let Wurm down by burning out and taking time outs, now maybe I won't have to.

Perfect score 10/10 CHEERS!!!  :lol:

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1