Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

I don't understand the crying about how this would "kill Wurm." Especially those of you who have the philosophy that "griefing within the rules" is ok - if you loved the "community" so much, you should have nurtured it so people would want to stay playing in it. If you have a strong community, they'll stay with you. What do you want the rest of us for, those of us who are tired of constantly worrying about having to spend extra time and resources to defend the things we worked for? Feel some happiness that you can be rid of some "carebears."

Now a lot of the people who were enjoying Wurm until they got turned off by the abuse of jerks can play again in peace. It's a great thing.

• Like 9

Reality has a habit of surprizing us.  This may work out in ways that are not anticipated.  I for one plan to continue business as usual and wait and see.

This^. I just don't see the sky falling at this time.  What ever changes may come I am still having fun in Wurm today, and hope to continue to do so for a long time to come.  I do not consider some other version of Wurm  a game breaker for myself. Heck I can still screw off with my friends, imp my brains out and hunt when I need a break from those 2 hobby's.  :P

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 5

To the very vocal haters of this new option coming:

1.  Why aren't your alts and stuff posted for sale already, if you are so determined to be gone?  PLEASE back up your big words and leave.

2.  Please refer to #1.

I'm amazed. Did the devs say "we are going to stop dev on WO?  Did they say they were shutting down the existing servers? You are seriously mad enough to quit, because some of your friends (or enemies) are going to try out the private servers?  "Billy is going to play in his own sandbox, because he doesn't like me best. Dammit, I quit!"  This is literally what you sound like.  So childish and WO is going to be so much better off when you are gone.

This it seems insane to me that you would be so mad about Rolf giving people more options to play that you would quit over it.  Can't wait to see you back up that silly threat.

I think I need to stop reading this thread and let my blood pressure drop back down.

• Like 6

Hmm I dunno...

See how it goes I guess.

Then again, Creative mode ended up being one of Minecraft's biggest draws, and I usually preferred Survival mode.

Edited by Karrde

I like this because I will still play with my main and my alts on Wurm Online, but will also have a server for me and my kids to play on, particularly my 5-yr old who has been dying to play this game with me. I don't let her play because the current Wurm Online environment means she could inadvertently grief someone's deed. On a private server however, she could have free reign :)

Thanks, this means we can have the best of both worlds - and those people who try the game out and don't like it? Big deal :)  Wurm's not for them anyway :)

• Like 4

Congrats on the big announcement.  Best of luck to Rolf and the entire staff, hope it all works out well for you.

• Like 2

AS a Indy dev my self working on my own wurm online style sandbox which Rolf inspired me with Wurm Online, I have to look back at all discussions in Q&A and ask why this route?

Could it be this is a way to try and get some quick cash flow to start WO 2.0?

Most people who mod will not trully understand cause well you just change things to someone elses project but for people who make from scratch will undertand this alot better.

Rolf said in Q&A they where looking into a new Language. This means that any thing on the original servers would never get to be brought over all's hard work and years of construction would be lost and all would have to start over. Java a game language has it's limits which can prevent one from implementing alot of game changing 3rd party software from being added to make a game a better game. Examples Nvidia's Grass Turf, SpeedTree,And some new upcoming character changing tools.

What many might not be aware of is Rolf might be winding this down to redo WO on a new engine So he can do alot more and raise his limits. If information like this was to hit the public it would more than likly go like this about WU.  I think there is more to this route and secrets behind the door.

Most people don't and didn't know at the time of EQ that EQ 2 was in development for 6 years behind closed doors before anyone knew any thing about it. It started development if I rem Correctly 3 or 4 years after the launch of EQ. LIF and some may not know this but the stand alone was to make money to pursue there LIF mmo. This might be a way for Rolf to reach a bigger audence and make alot more money to pursue WO 2.0. Would this be bad IMO no it would be the best thing and way to go. Remake the entire game under a new engine and language. Microsft is already making VS more powerful and langauges like C# and it's compatability to be on muliple platforms. Which is why rolf made WO on java in the first place cause at that time it was the only multiplatform language.

Rolf if this is what your doing God Speed and go for it. And personaly want to thank you for the insperation you gave me to go after my dream as a game developer and start working on my own project. I will buy a copy of WU from you for me and my son to help support your dreams as a developer

• Like 1

Haha. I am glad i haven't spent any more time in wurm.

Stupid thing to spread even more the thin player count, but hey. Happy retirement days Rolf :D

If it's that expensive then it will receive a terrible rating which will result in not many people actually trying it. The game has a lot of broken features and also has memory leaks. I don't think anyone would be insane enough to pay 100$ or even like 50$ for that. I think 25$ is a fair price.

The only game I have spent more on than Wurm Online is DDO. I think WO is well worth the money I've spent on it. It's the best game I've ever played, and I don't mind the bugs at all. To add to that, this WU thing will be a good answer for those who have been on the forums and share the run-ins they've had with griefers. This gives them an opportunity to have true privacy to build and enjoy Wurm without the frustrations and lack of control from other players' actions. 

I look forward to see where everything leads.

• Like 1

People are forgetting that other players are content

The neighbor you chat with every day? Content

The person you sold that hatchet to? Content

The person who stumbles onto your deed, lost? Content

The newbie you give 5s to surface mine your deed? Content

By adding private servers you are taking content away from the rest of us. Unless Steam sales can somehow maintain populations (I severely doubt this...and I would like to see data that suggests Steam players would buoy server populations in the longterm), this is just reducing the gaming experience of those of us that stay.

This is like Xanadu all over again.  You're whittling the server populations even further.  I don't plan to sell my account, but if more and more people jump ship, it'll just be me in my forge, alone, grinding skills on an empty server.

• Like 1

I for one welcome our new self-hosted overlords don't see why it's a bad thing.

People have been asking for private servers for a decade now, and this will give them that. Some of them will quit the MMO, but those generally are the hermit types that avoided interacting with the community as much as they could anyway.

On the other hand it will give rolf a nice boost of cash and hopefully allow him to hire more full time developers.

By adding private servers you are taking content away from the rest of us. Unless Steam sales can somehow maintain populations (I severely doubt this...and I would like to see data that suggests Steam players would buoy server populations in the longterm), this is just reducing the gaming experience of those of us that stay.

This is like Xanadu all over again.  You're whittling the server populations even further.  I don't plan to sell my account, but if more and more people jump ship, it'll just be me in my forge, alone, grinding skills on an empty server.

+1

I am continuing play as normal, in spite of this, and in spite of everything else (the bugs don't bug me). But you are absolutely correct, it's taking population density down, it must, it will, this is how people work, and this is what xanadu did. The "new players" that will "get exposed to wurm" through WU, will get used to unbalanced, poorly run, easy-skill, pay to win,  win button strategies, and they won't come back to the long, make your own game real-wurm that we all know. So I don't buy that whole "it will bring players" story. I do buy the "it's business, and makes sense", yes it does, but it means something else for us. For me personally, as the only game I play, wanted to play, and felt good about, it's a bit of a smash in the face, and 'business' won't care about one guy who absolutely loved what it meant, every single day of his life.

• Like 3

I'm with you. So long as Rolf keeps up these servers I will remain on them till the bitter end.

• Like 2

To the very vocal haters of this new option coming:

1.  Why aren't your alts and stuff posted for sale already, if you are so determined to be gone?  PLEASE back up your big words and leave.

2.  Please refer to #1.

I'm amazed. Did the devs say "we are going to stop dev on WO?  Did they say they were shutting down the existing servers? You are seriously mad enough to quit, because some of your friends (or enemies) are going to try out the private servers?  "Billy is going to play in his own sandbox, because he doesn't like me best. Dammit, I quit!"  This is literally what you sound like.  So childish and WO is going to be so much better off when you are gone.

This it seems insane to me that you would be so mad about Rolf giving people more options to play that you would quit over it.  Can't wait to see you back up that silly threat.

I think I need to stop reading this thread and let my blood pressure drop back down.

"If you quit a game you automatically have to sell your account and items" great logic you've got there mate!

The reason I personally am so mad is because unless Rolf has to make WU GREAT it will simply NOT succeed. I simply do not trust Rolf to succesfully accomplish such a task.

I said it once and I will say it again, for you and rolf and the rest this may be a gem of a game, but for the rest of steam's users it's just ANOTHER buggy, small and boring mmo out of the thousands they already get. I simply do not see any success in this WU. All it will do is divide the already small playerbase.

Screencap this post. Show it to me and burn me in 2 months if I have happened to be wrong.

Edited by Elktazahjr

So he decided to work on this instead of fixing all the current problems with Wurm. OK.

• Like 1

THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!.....THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!... RUN FOR THE HILLS YOU FOOLS!!!

Really guys ? come on. It's going to be another "Wait and see" thing but for me, i'll buy it and IF Wurm Online falls i can take a little bit of Wurm with me.

6 years has been a good run for me and if it goes on i can see me hitting another 7,8,9 and 10 more years of it.

Yes it will not be like it was but i will still have it to play and all my good friend can come and join me.

I see this new Wurm as more of a BACKUP plan..... if Wurm Online falls i'll start my own sever.....and yes it will last along time (not run for a few months and then be gone) cus it will be like playing a solo game for me only one that my m8's can jump in and out of....i love Wurm so yes i can see my server running a VERY long time :)

Thanks Rolf for doing this.....if it all goes wrong i can still have Wurm with me forever. ;)

"And now the end is near,

And so i face the final curtain,

My friends, i'll say it clear,

I'll state my case of which i'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full,

I've traveled each and every highway,

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

(1969) - Song 'My Way" - Anka, Paul

I like the idea of wurm on steam, oh and congratulations Wurm Online, i think this is a milestone for the game.

• Like 1

So he decided to work on this instead of fixing all the current problems with Wurm. OK.

Honestly, it's better off my friend.

How long have you and I been around? How much actually gets done? How many of the real problems actually ever get fixed?

Almost 10 years and we've seen this game barely go anywhere. And it ain't going any further any time soon. Skillgain was raised a few years back for everyone, and now we have a billion 90+ skilled people that have been playing for 2 years, max. The economy is basically gone, aside from specialty items and coins/characters. We've got a decent amount of folks that use the ever-changing, non documented mechanics to grief others. We can't be in local with 50 others without the client shitting the bed (and regardless of what Rolf says, it affects even the best of rigs)...

Wurm solo play/private servers happens to be the best decision Rolf has made in a long, long time.

• Like 3

My first reaction, to this news was "Huhhhh?". This must be the death of wurm online. After letting things sink in, and read through the arguments in this thread I'm now mildly positive, and ready to embrace new opportunities this step could mean for the game.

It's possible wurm online could suffer, I understand the arguments. I'm worried about all the time I have left on the wurm online servers. At the same time we can now simply buy a copy of the game and store it, and in 30-40 years from now when we're old and grey still play our "blast from the past", like we do now with the games from the 80's.

For CodeClub I hope this will be a step towards business success. Getting the game onto steam is much needed.

For the game... who knows maybe the modding community will embrace this game like it did with minecraft. And in the future we can play wurm with automation, windmills, factories, etc. Or if you like medieval aspect of the game, a server with much more medieval options.

Change was needed, Rolf took a bold decision, and I hope it works out, not just for him, but especially for the game I like.

• Like 3

You know for over 7 years now I have been hearing Wurm is going to die,,,it's still here and Im still here.

I see WU as a new source of income not the end of the game.

Everyone relax and get back to grinding.

• Like 3

Everyone is saying Wurm Online is done, yet WU hasn't been released to steam yet. lol

Instead of crying about it grow a pair and see what happens afterwards, because majority of those who are leaving/threatening to leave are those who spent hundreds of dollars on characters, deeds, and rare items as well as hours. Yeah cool you guys are frustrated, but it's seriously to early to be bitching about Rolf's decisions. 

Just when you guys quit, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

What really gives me the giggles is that many of them are the "It's Rolf's vision, shut up and take what he gives you" group.

• Like 2

Can we buy the game here somehow when it comes out or it strictly trough steam?

Can we buy the game here somehow when it comes out or it strictly trough steam?

Probably steam only.

My first reaction, to this news was "Huhhhh?". This must be the death of wurm online. After letting things sink in, and read through the arguments in this thread I'm now mildly positive, and ready to embrace new opportunities this step could mean for the game.

It's possible wurm online could suffer, I understand the arguments. I'm worried about all the time I have left on the wurm online servers. At the same time we can now simply buy a copy of the game and store it, and in 30-40 years from now when we're old and grey still play our "blast from the past", like we do now with the games from the 80's.

For CodeClub I hope this will be a step towards business success. Getting the game onto steam is much needed.

For the game... who knows maybe the modding community will embrace this game like it did with minecraft. And in the future we can play wurm with automation, windmills, factories, etc. Or if you like medieval aspect of the game, a server with much more medieval options.

Change was needed, Rolf took a bold decision, and I hope it works out, not just for him, but especially for the game I like.

And what makes you think it's a one time purchase? Or that you don't need to connect to a main server in order to play on your own? Both seem way too likely. I can't imagine it being a non-ridiculous priced one time purchase game knowing that Rolf is behind it.

And what makes you think it's a one time purchase? Or that you don't need to connect to a main server in order to play on your own? Both seem way too likely. I can't imagine it being a non-ridiculous priced one time purchase game knowing that Rolf is behind it.

Seems alot of unfounded assumptions at this point. Why do you approach this with so much cynicism? A glass can be half full or half empty, but you can still enjoy the water.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this