Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

He should have just kept it to himself till the day of launch, lol

• Like 3

Wow! Absolutely fantastic! You *sneaky* Developers have really lived up to this label by getting this whole project created under the radar. For that alone it is an amazing accomplishment. Beyond that, it is a great option for playing the game of Wurm with all its features. It will appeal to those who want to have an private version of the game to tinker around with on their own, as well as those who want "private" servers to control by restricting those who can play upon it, or even open it up to everyone.

This new option on Steam will give the game much more exposure, drawing in newcomers to a cheaper cost alternative and keep them initially isolated from the *real* Wurm worlds so that they can do their learning and mischief there. Then if they find the concept/game appealing they will have a further grounded reason to subscribe to the original version that we only have available today. Of course the additional income from this version of the game will help support the main version of it, so another positive aspect to look forward to as this income will be used to improve the original game.

Although no doubt I will tinker around with the single player version to create my own private world designed to my tastes, what makes the distinct separation and draw to the current Wurm is that other players are also contributing to this world unrestricted by my own desires for what they should be doing. To me this is also the draw of Wurm, as even without directly interacting with these players I can enjoy seeing their visions unfold as they shape the environment to their own desires. Then again, sometimes I even do enjoy interacting with them, so there they are!

The current version of Wurm is about dealing with other players which must be done to some degree whether it is desired or not. This is what will continue to draw players to the original version of Wurm and Wurm Unlimited will just all the more expose this option as lacking there. If people are so isolationist as to not want to deal with anyone and prefer this new single player option, then they will go there and the game we play now is clearly not appealing to them anyway. So this versions loss is that versions gain, which means some income is still generated that would otherwise have not been available due to lack of interest from the individual.

I see so much positive potential from this new Wurm Unlimited being available on Steam that I am only greatly encouraged by it becoming available, the sooner the better. What minor problems that arise will be worked out over time and those that leave the main game will be replaced by others not tainted by their own bad experiences here, real or imagined. As this hardly has any direct effect upon the way the main game of Wurm functions I see little impact upon it, other than some few players quitting and new ones filling their places, no doubt in greater numbers than as currently.

Great work Rolf and Developers! Please stay the course and do not be discouraged by the End of The World Order members, for although I will refrain from making any harsh comments in their direction, the skies will be clearer for their departure. Let's just see how it all shakes out, eh?

*shake, shake, shake!*

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 5

Everyone is saying Wurm Online is done, yet WU hasn't been released to steam yet. lol

Instead of crying about it grow a pair and see what happens afterwards, because majority of those who are leaving/threatening to leave are those who spent hundreds of dollars on characters, deeds, and rare items as well as hours. Yeah cool you guys are frustrated, but it's seriously to early to be bitching about Rolf's decisions. 

Just when you guys quit, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Believe me i wont!

I really really hope that you guys have mixed the calendar and tought that today is the 1st of april...

If not..well the very very bad choice!! Wurm is unique for a reason.. don't make it trash!!!

I don't like this much personally, but if I'm honest with myself I think it will probably end up being good for the game in the long run, depending on how customizable the private servers are and how easy it is to find friends on them. The community as a whole can probably make a much more fun version of Wurm than we have now. That's not meant as a slight to the existing team, a handful of devs just can't compete with even a moderately-sized community. Not to mention official has to be one-size-fits-all so there are a lot of ideas that are basically impossible to even try without angering huge percentages of players. With this there will be private servers that cater to certain crowds: different levels of skillgain, building rules, could have a server with no priests or a server with only priests, all kinds of weird stuff could be tried that could never be done on official.

However, the increased fragmentation comes at a cost. The official servers are arguably too fragmented already across just 2 clusters, let alone hundreds or more. In addition, whether the official servers will be worth playing with all these other options available remains to be seen, but I'm doubtful they will be able to compete with community servers. I guess the hope is that one-off sales will make up the lost profit or that the increased exposure will lead to enough people paying premium on the official servers.

We'll see how it goes, I might check out the private servers depending on what I hear about them, but I have a hard time imagining playing on official after this. Have to give some respect for the bold move though, something big definitely needed to change.

P.S. Mordraug, your obsession with turning every post into a political thing between PVP and PVE is completely bizarre. You secretly love the PVPers don't you? It's okay you can admit it. :)

• Like 1

Not a single word about what will happen to the live servers after the kiddie game comes out.  No promises of an improved game for the existing patrons, Not even another hollow promise of fixing creatures and game play for the people that pay the bills. 

This steam version could have been released as a tutorial for wurm, Since you couldn't be bothered to put one in the actual game.

That would have drawn people into the live servers when they were ready to play for real.

I think that this steam release will prove to be another bad idea in the long run.  Simply because it is not designed to draw people into the actual game.  It's just another cash grab on your part.  Something that you have done repeatedly, And it always costs the players in the end.  Our economy is now almost non existent, Half the creatures don't spawn anymore. No colors on the rare ones. A thousand other bugs that could easily have been fixed.  And yet we don't even get another pathetic promise.  Instead you go for another cash grab.

My wife and I have been around since 2007, And our premium expires near the middle of november.  That gives us a few weeks to see what happens after the cash rush starts.  By then if we see stagnant servers like we have now, Then we are gone. 

I can buy nicer games at a fraction of the cost of wurm.  Games that actually put thought into entertaining their patrons.  Instead of working their players to death, And never making the game fun.

my advice sell out now let the sheep buy what you have if they are foolish to stay. He makes no promise if the servers will be around because they wont be. Why do you think he made xanadu? This was there plan all along. Get new players on steam and move the game there down size the others servers and move everyone to xanadu chaos and epic and then get rid of the useless abandoned servers. He will drop the others and keep Xanadu and maybe Chaos and Epic but everything else will go bye bye i doubt he will reimburse anyone remember it says in Ab Coide you own nothing in the game its all his!. They are not saying anything right now because they want to avoid a panic sell off and mad rush of rage quitting but that's whats going to more then likely happen you mark my words. I'm no fool i see exactly what he planning on doing.

• Like 1

P.S. Mordraug, your obsession with turning every post into a political thing between PVP and PVE is completely bizarre. You secretly love the PVPers don't you? It's okay you can admit it. :)

I miss you guys the most <3

• Like 1

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymm76vK6d8&index=19&list=PL699196FD1723DAD2

#happylikehelllol

Oooh and I also just saw the trailer on Steam, and now I'm even more excited! :D

lolwut.

Don't really understand this whole private server thing. No idea why you haven't just posted Wurm onto steam as a F2P with a sub option, same as Eve and such. I honestly can't see how this private server thing is a good idea, ESPECIALLY after Rolf has protected his coding for over a decade.

If the main game can't hold a solid amount of players to make the servers feel 'populated' then how the hell will a private server help. Players will join, see 10 people online, try to do anything, unable too, quit. Never to return.

This is a very very risky move in my option. Especially since once someone tries a private server to only find its empty, why would they bother with the real one? Their first impressions will be bleak, empty and show the game as just a grind without the community aspect. Very hard to change someones opinion of a game once a "first impression" has sunk in.

Edited by Headhunter
  • Like 1

Reality has a habit of surprizing us.  This may work out in ways that are not anticipated.  I for one plan to continue business as usual and wait and see.

Seconded. Now to log in and get back to roadbuilding

REALLY freaking REALLY..... GOOD JOB OF RUINING THIS GAME!!!!! why would i give you money to have premium when i could buy this wurm unlimited only 1 time.... 1 time an be a GM!!! Your going to give the ability to play wurm on a totally different GAME.?.? Kill the 1000 or 1500 people that play on the regular Wurm servers..... To go play this cheap little half ass cut off of the game.... This is going to kill Wurm online... why would i play wurm online when you could go play on some WURM unlimited that has faster skill gain or hell just set it to insta build an be done with this game in less then 2 hours so they can return it back to you for full money back ANDDDDDD never play wurm online again... either way good job on digging you own grave.

• Like 2

Im the only one that feels stabbed in the back?

The more i think about this situation the more pissed off i get. No wonder devs have kept this issue 'top secret' up to now, under a 'bugslaying' summer cover, in which I could clearly picture those hard working devs, understaffed of course, doing their best with their limited resources and time to keep 'small miracles' happening.

Because that is the picture ive been always offered by the devs of this game, a 'guys this is all we can do with the meager resources we have'. And then out the blue, bang!, here it is, our secret project payed with your Premium money.

But guess what?, this is a new project, nothing to do with you. Just keep paying our dev time with your premium, while the 'on-line' ship sinks, just up to the last min, pls. That is what a faithful crew should do, (actually that is what a good portion of Wurm subscribers have been doing for many years).

That captain, who has been asking his hard working crew to fight on to the last.  We can stay afloat boys!

Telling us that he was doing everything he could, with the meager resources he had.

Yes, that same captain was in fact building a new ship, just around the corner, out of our sight. New sails, new ropes... and new crew too!  Since his plan all along was to abandon the old on-line ship under cover of night.

Come on boys! Anyways you are an old and spent crew, i can do better with a younger and more naive one.

Ok.. ok.. i will show some mercy. If you dont drown and make it ashore, give it a try with my new ship.

You dont even give a chance to this game. Out of steam. Shame on you.

REFUND US, is what you should do. For me, this changes everything. Im paying premium, so this game get better, the game im playing now, not to fund your new economic adventure.

• Like 3

If the main game can't hold a solid amount of players to make the servers feel 'populated' then how the hell will a private server help.

There is probably a good reason for that, and I can most certaintly tell you it's not the game Devs ;)

• Like 2

REALLY freaking REALLY..... GOOD JOB OF RUINING THIS GAME!!!!! why would i give you money to have premium when i could buy this wurm unlimited only 1 time.... 1 time an be a ###### GM!!! Your going to give the ability to play wurm on a totally different GAME.?.? Kill the 1000 or 1500 people that play on the regular Wurm servers..... To go play this cheap little half ass cut off of the game.... This is going to kill Wurm online... why would i play wurm online when you could go play on some WURM unlimited that has faster skill gain or hell just set it to insta build an be done with this game in less then 2 hours so they can return it back to you for full money back ANDDDDDD never play wurm online again... either way good job on digging you own grave.

Hmm, well there are for sure not 1000-1500 people playing wurm, far from. I highly doubt this will kill wurm online, espcially if everyone is so against it.

If everyone hates the update so much then no one will quit the MMO! Should work.

everyone who will quit duo that pls feel free to pm me and will buy your toons and items at low price :D

• Like 1

Was wondering if few people had heads up on this move?

Been seeing gold and accounts selling allot more pass couple weeks.

I know of a few games that have be your on GM , run your own server .

You can speed everything up to were you are borred after a weeks play and move on.

As someone else pointed out , how many will ask for a refund after a few days ?

I just hope they rethink or explain this plan more.

I see this as Rolf closing down Wurm as is , for a fast buck making private servers...!!! :huh:

So Wurm servers will stay ?

But you can also own your version to play solo or host for others?

Will they be able to MOD the game to there liking ?

This layout is somewhat vague..

Well, I honestly don't know if this is a good move or not. Certainly the 'monthly' subcription model is something that looks increasingly dated compared to most modern MMOs. I always thought it was a mistake to increase the price in the first place. Once it became only slightly cheaper than the likes of eve online etc it felt a lot less attractive.

I'm sure Rolf has done the numbers on this. He knows he has a small but very loyal playerbase who will continue to sub each month and cover the bills whatever happens.. He can then use the new model to attract extra income and compete alongside some of the new games that come out.

Still it will be sad to see the 'old' wurm online playing second fiddle...so many memories.

I think we can all agree that life is feudal is a lot worse then wurm and they sold over 100,000 copies of the game in the first month alone on stream Rolf is fixing to make a lot of money if that is any indication of how things are going to go and that will help him develop the game a lot more.  

Things will be fine the servers numbers will drop for a bit as everyone tries out the new steam version but most of them will be back soon enough. I for one am not going to give up the economic part of this game for the new version i like the idea that i can make a little money on the side while playing the game i like. That is just one of the reason why people will stay and migrate over from the steam version and if he develops it right with the money he gets from the steam version he can add in even more ways to entice people to make the transition over to the mmo. 

Edited by Kegan

THIS IS SO GOOD SO GOOD LOLOLOL OMG HAHAHAHAHA

How many will refund? SOOOOOOOOOOO MANY

Edited by Radni

"Nice idea" :)

but ...

but all "nice ideas" at last time has bring less players :mellow: emty servers   :unsure:  dead villages  :o 

The game need more action, more fun and we have more player. More servers are the wrong way! Every player his own Wurm?

Sign in to follow this