Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

Theme music for this choice:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD1cxSE25ck

I know this might be an unpopular opinion but personally I think this is GREAT! Thank you Devs for bringing this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the people who want to be part of a community already are a part of it, and will stay a part of it, but the people who want to play as hermits already do so as well. This doesn't change anything other than providing yet another option for those who want one.

Personally, I'd LOVE to have my own tiny server where I could do massive projects with only my partner, without interference or having other deeds in the way. We'd love to shape a small private server to be exactly what we want it to be, and this sounds like we finally get a chance to do that.

That doesn't mean we would disappear from the "online" part of it, because we've made some amazing friends in this game, but now there's just an extra option which is always fantastic.

So once again, thank you so much Devs and I'm looking forward eagerly to this new release!

• Like 11

So - Does this mean a new dev team to manage the "unlimited" stuff? How will the "overworked and underpaid" current devs be able to handle what is clearly another very large persistent workload. Is the MMO version going to be the redheaded stepchild? Who will be focusing on what?

All I have ever heard since playing this game is how short staffed CC is.....well. We getting new devs or? Im finding it hard to believe that they will just continue as normal.

This is my number one concern area. Will CC have the Staff to handle this?

Personally, I'd LOVE to have my own tiny server where I could do massive projects with only my partner, without interference or having other deeds in the way. ...

That doesn't mean we would disappear from the "online" part of it, because we've made some amazing friends in this game, but now there's just an extra option which is always fantastic

But you will be less often active in the online version while you do projects on your private server - and your friends will do exactly the same. You will be tucked away in your own small server and when you come online to say hello to your friends there won't be any - because they are all tucked away in their small server.

The whole thing might actually be a good idea for Code Club from a revenue point of view - but I'd expect a significant hit to the number of players on the PvE servers ...

• Like 2

I have kinda mixed feelings about this thing, idk if it will end being good or bad for the community, but I feel a bit cheated having invested some hard earned money to pay premium and upkeep in advance...

Of course, if WU ends in a big succes, after reading a post from Rolf in the faq, It feels a bit sad that people that supported and funded the game from so many years now, need to pay to get it.

Another rushed, zany, expensive for the consumer experiment.

Oh CodeClub AB. You so silly.

Lets rename this project to Challenge 2.0: Soon to be forgotten.

was there any demand for this?  no

will the current playerbase pay for the steam version and rush-off to be on their own servers?  mostly not

will there be increased awareness of WURM in gaming circles?  yes

will WURM compare favourably to its competitors in Steam reviews?  yes

will this lead to a greater trickle of players to the subscription server here? probably yes

I understand the negative reaction of the people here but frankly this steam version isn't for you.  You're all too invested in the existing servers.

After almost a decade of development Rolf finally has a game he isn't embarrassed about so putting it in more marketplaces isn't a bad thing.

Congrats Rolf ... this is by far the most stupid thing ever ... could write now how bad this will be for the already small population on the servers but it would just be a waste of letters since you never listen to your cash-cows ...

Well after 10 years I think I can finally see myself leaving Wurm. It's been a good run but...this is not the direction I wanted the game to go in and it's disappointing. 

• Like 5

Here I had hoped at coming back to Wurm when my RL stuff improved but it seems Wurm has just met the beginning of the end. Since everyone can now host their own server may as well get rid of subscription fees and make it a 1 time pay or full f2p. Shame, I was really hoping to eventually come back and the news of this just made that a dream the same way as games like Shadowbane became a dream. Good luck with this!

#epicfail

was there any demand for this?  no

will the current playerbase pay for the steam version and rush-off to be on their own servers?  mostly not

will there be increased awareness of WURM in gaming circles?  yes

will WURM compare favourably to its competitors in Steam reviews?  yes

will this lead to a greater trickle of players to the subscription server here? probably yes

I understand the negative reaction of the people here but frankly this steam version isn't for you.  You're all too invested in the existing servers.

After almost a decade of development Rolf finally has a game he isn't embarrassed about so putting it in more marketplaces isn't a bad thing.

And what makes you think this will get wurm online good reviews? For you and rolf it may be a gem of a game but for most steam visitors it will just be another one of the thousands buggy sloppy games with little hope in its future.

Reality has a habit of surprizing us.  This may work out in ways that are not anticipated.  I for one plan to continue business as usual and wait and see.

• Like 3

And what makes you think this will get wurm online good reviews? For you and rolf it may be a gem of a game but for most steam visitors it will just be another one of the thousands buggy sloppy games with little hope in its future.

I said it would compare favourably to its competitors (such as Xsyon and LiF both of which are less developed than WURM)...

That said, having your own server will vary wildly from what we know in the subscription community - but the customization options proposed mean those who want/have the Steam version will be satisfied as they mold their experience to how they want it - hence *some* good reviews.

Players from Steam who are interested in a deeper experience see there is a subscription version offering what they really want - and Rolf gets what he's really after which is more long-term subs.

• Like 1

Have to say I was quite shocked when I first read the announcement but now that it has had time to sink in I'm getting kinda excited to try out some ideas.

p.s. Cheers Rolf, best wurm drama since I've returned from my break.  I missed me some good ole Wurm drama.

Anyone know of a good MMO that was like wurm that we can go to that had the same style of ingame economy now that Rolf destroyed his game.

Well after 10 years I think I can finally see myself leaving Wurm. It's been a good run but...this is not the direction I wanted the game to go in and it's disappointing. 

I freaking agree with you on that one i never agreed with you much on anything else but i agree with you on this point. he destroyed his own game!

• Like 1

I have been for a very long time wanting to make my own MMO. I lack the programming skills and knowledge. Alot of new technology exists to be able to do it and do it on the cheap. There has to be many of you thats helped Rolf over the years that do not like seeing this game go in this direction. Lets form up and band together make a game in which we can all enjoy and prosper from.It may take a long time to get it fully completed and marketable. But i believe if enough volunteers and knowledgeable people in game design was to come fourth and unite we could put a game out that echoes Wurm and would make us all proud and happy. We should try! This was a slap in the face to those of us who played this game for years. I say we should leave his game high and dry now for it!

I have been playing Wurm for almost 8 years now, I didn't see that step coming, but if Rolf is happy with it I am happy with it too.

It feels like a step in the right direction, better than this game ends up nowhere. Further more I have decent java programming skills and I am working as a linux server administrator so I will definetely have my own server with nice mods if modding is possible :) After all I can say I am looking forward to it

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2

I would actually hope this game sells for 100$ in the Steam store… With all the premium time I have paid for development, make sure you sell this for a good price, because it might be your last game income.

Everyone is saying Wurm Online is done, yet WU hasn't been released to steam yet. lol

Instead of crying about it grow a pair and see what happens afterwards, because majority of those who are leaving/threatening to leave are those who spent hundreds of dollars on characters, deeds, and rare items as well as hours. Yeah cool you guys are frustrated, but it's seriously to early to be bitching about Rolf's decisions. 

Just when you guys quit, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Like 5

Not a single word about what will happen to the live servers after the kiddie game comes out.  No promises of an improved game for the existing patrons, Not even another hollow promise of fixing creatures and game play for the people that pay the bills. 

This steam version could have been released as a tutorial for wurm, Since you couldn't be bothered to put one in the actual game.

That would have drawn people into the live servers when they were ready to play for real.

I think that this steam release will prove to be another bad idea in the long run.  Simply because it is not designed to draw people into the actual game.  It's just another cash grab on your part.  Something that you have done repeatedly, And it always costs the players in the end.  Our economy is now almost non existent, Half the creatures don't spawn anymore. No colors on the rare ones. A thousand other bugs that could easily have been fixed.  And yet we don't even get another pathetic promise.  Instead you go for another cash grab.

My wife and I have been around since 2007, And our premium expires near the middle of november.  That gives us a few weeks to see what happens after the cash rush starts.  By then if we see stagnant servers like we have now, Then we are gone. 

I can buy nicer games at a fraction of the cost of wurm.  Games that actually put thought into entertaining their patrons.  Instead of working their players to death, And never making the game fun.

When in anger, fear, or doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

Edited by Vroomfondel

I don't get some people......

The "carebears" will be the most likely to head for their own servers, your choice of reasons.  Weren't we the ones ruining the game? 

Those horrible "hermits who hog up all the good land" are likely to leave too, being able to hermit their own 8x8km, imagine all the good land freed.

And finally, all those told to "deed it or lose it, if you don't like it, quit!" can now quit and STILL give money to CC.

Seems like a good idea all in all.

And from who's posted what.... it almost seems like.... PvP does need PvE players after all... 

Either way, gonna love Birdplane Isles, hopefully with the friends I left behind if not... I shall bask in my own glorious glory by my glorious self.  

Will finally get to enjoy Wurm AND keep an open "deed" without having to login nervously at least twice a day in case someone decided to ruin my game "because they can". ^_^

Who knows, maybe I'll even finally fortify an area, because I WANT TO, not because i need to kiddyproof my assets.

*Edit:  incidentally, those who have driven tons of players away by messing with their stuff "because I can" and "because it's a sandbox and I should play it however i want" ..... you're opposing as sandboxey a move as Rolf could have pulled... "You only want to play with some or none of the community, now you can!"

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 10

Sign in to follow this