Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

According to me and the orginal Birdwatcher: Im glad this is happening, this takes the people who are rude out of the game, and now I can play the game I want too without dealing with the community, this is going to make  wurm so much better, I played this game   before many of these people came to wurm , and now i can play it myself and relaxe. Just like Old Times.

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

P.S  THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST IDEA ROLF EVER HAD!!!!!!

So your current 8 euro/month subscription aswell as monthly deed upkeep is going to be replaced by a single onetime fee.

Seems like Rolf will lose out on money from you.

If I was a new player trying WU and was able to skill up instantly and have GM powers to spawn what I want etc, I would become bored really quickly. What would be the point? It's like single player mine craft and would hold my attention for a few hours and then move on.

And after all that I decide to try the MMO version and realize not only is going to take a very long time to get decent skills anywhere in the game, it's going to take 10 minutes or more to mine a single cave tile. Why would I bother? I wouldn't. I would play something else and play WU every great once in a while to get my building-game fix. Why do you think many minecraft players have tried this game then went back to minecraft? The bottom line is its a niche game for people who understand that you aren't going to win the game today or tomorrow and understand they are investing in a long term skill grind. Introducing a instant gratification version of wurm is deceiving if you're intentions are to get more players to the mmo.

There is a lot of criticism of the bugs in this game and it not being ready for steam but the fact is If any version of this game should be on steam it's the one we have. It may not get the playerbase that mine craft has but I'm sure a few people out there would stumble across it and fall in love with it.

• Like 2

Worst idea I have seen to-date. They push out several awesome updates and then dump atrocious news like this all in the same quarter. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction (Newton's 3rd Law of Motion).

Edited by Macadelic
  • Like 3

I've been out of Wurm for over half a year now, I keep coming back though because it's just an awesome sandbox game, but to me, the skillgain is too slow and the craft timers as well. Allowing me to adjust that to my own preference will make the game viable time-wise for me to play again. I've been waiting for this for a looong time. Kudos!

Edited by Zenoxgear
  • Like 1

Saves me the trouble of re-subbing my accounts this week I suppose.

• Like 1

Oh no !!!!! Rolf stole my lolipop and now all i have to do is cry.

Before the game is even released on steam players are acting like spoiled brats.

If it will kill wurm online, so be it, if it will make it better, then more fun for us.

Speculating on what the game will do is pointless, just play it and enjoy it now.

• Like 5

:/ Why no polls about this expansion to see what the community thought?

This is bascially minecraft now

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 1

The ONE game I played, the ONE game I actually loved....

Ill wait for more, less vague details (DETAILS, specifics, non-general important information that is owed to us...) before I renew premium further or even play more. Don't feel like it.

*editing out negative thought*

Edited by Marlon

GG rolf GG another huge    dropped on our heads, i have not forgotten the days you enabled kvk on the home servers!

WTF again you just ignore you player base.

How are they ignoring the player base. I'm a player and I love this idea! Of course, it's usually the ones that don't like things that are the most vocal in any forum. Those of us that are in agreement and are OK with things don't speak up as often because we're busy playing away instead of complaining.

Rolf, good decision. I'm all for it! I feel that this will expose Wurm to a much larger audience and even if there are tons of small private servers, I think the player base will increase overall, driving more people to want to play it. Minecraft never had a central MMO server, just a bunch of private servers and look how large that game got. It's not always about a single large company run server to make the game big.

One thing though, Rolf, I hope you include the option that if we purchase this version from Steam, that we do have the option to connect to the main servers still with our current characters and have permanent premium without having to pay it separately. That would be a good option to keep the main servers going.

• Like 4

you're all being overdramatic, wurm isn't going to die, just like runescape or wow didnt because of private servers, it just exposes people to variants of the game, the main game will remain. and i personally aren't going to leave for instant gratification on a private server, i trust codeclub will keep my deed and not abuse staff powers or spawn items can you say same about player owned servers?  ..

• Like 5

I have been doing some thinking about this. Here's my current thinking on what it means. It will be interesting to see how closely it matches reality.

Freedom is largely a hermit community harassed by what feels like constant griefers and thiefs.

In the first six months of WU the Freedom community will diminish by a third as the casual gamers and constantly harassed move to their own private servers.

The Freedom group that stays the longest will be in three categories (not including Chaos here):

- Those who live in populated villages with a sense of community - very rare today
- Those who are heavily invested in the trade market - as population drops this group will lose more and more interest
- Those who have spent years working on a deed construction project - they will likely be more concerned about losing something or not completing the project

Epic and Chaos will also be impacted in several ways as well:

- Casual players living in a PVP world will be tempted to move to private servers just like casual freedom players - I don't think this is a big part of current PVP player base

- A significant portion of my kingdom's population comes from people who are currently or were in the last six months, primary freedom players - if this intake pool dries up then it will gradually reduce population into PVP

- With the release of code to the public those who are inclined to open it up and review it will begin to be able to identify exploits easier then they can today. This is the largest worry I have since exploiters are treated well in this game

While it is possible some Freedom servers may shut down I don't expect it to happen. I suspect that Wurm runs on virtual machines which means 2 servers or 12 servers the physical hardware likely remains about the same. No real cost savings for them compared to the loss of whatever deeds remain in place on any server considered for shutdown.

Epic and Chaos have the best chance of survival provided they can maintain their communities. The main difference between Freedom play and PVP play is this community link that players have. Provided that glue stays then this game will be very difficult for the PVP players to leave.

Of course the concern then is that people have fun playing the game. If one kingdom becomes dominant beyond all others ability to defeat then there is a good chance that people will also leave the game for that reason.

For what it's worth.....

~Nappy

• Like 4

Excellent news!  Rolf and Code Club were completely stalled out with the current Wurm.  Years of effort to make the bridges release and what did it net them?  less subscribers now than before.  Xanadu, the largest sandbox server ever created?  Subs are going down.  So what do you expect them to do, just ride the subs down to a single player, making wurm online a private server anyway?

No, this is the kind of change that was needed.  So many here are experiencing F.U.D.  Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.  Same thing the flat earth contingent struggled with.  You just don't know the real benefits this could bring, until it happens.

1.  Yes, people are gonna leave here and go there.  Guess what? Code Club is still getting their cash, which doesn't weaken Code Club.  If people are that eager to go, won't it make the remaining online servers more pleasant for the people that stay?  More resources to go around, more beachfront available. etc.

2. New style of game play may be what was always needed to bring in the masses, meaning much more cash for Code Club to do new, groundbreaking dev on the Online servers.

3. The private servers give people a chance to experience everything!  If they decide easy mode is too much, they can easily drop the private server and hop on over to the old Online server, potentially making a much bigger influx of players than we have ever had before.

I hear a bunch of crying about the unknown.  Save your tears and wait until you actually know what the end results will become.  Pass judgement on this decision when there is actually something to judge.

• Like 20

I think the standalone game will be a useful benefit to Wurm in general in the long term.

Short term the curious, the fed up with their neighbours and those hankering for fresh pastures with their friends / communities will pull players away from the main game to experiment with while attracting new people (via Steam exposure) and giving those people who Wurm failed to initially retain (for various reasons) an opportunity to give the game a second chance at their own pace.

Many will migrate back to the official servers after a time for a million new reasons as well as those who have only experienced the game as a single player experience or with a modest sized and variable group that may drift in and out as whims take them to try the "proper", evolved version of the game as a full MMO.

No doubt Steam will be vocal about the shortcomings of the game and offer all manner of suggestions, gamestyle options, mods etc which will help direct future development of the whole of Wurm in general.

As we are a small, insular community we often forget that there is life and inovation beyond our borders and new opinions from new players (be they Online or Unlimited) will fuel the games development in ways that can only benefit everyone further down the line.

But, like I said, short term it's going to suck for a lot of people worried about the value of their accounts, their efforts and achievements and the nay sayers and gloom mongers will reign supreme until movement occours both ways.

If I was Rolf, I'd limit the level of customisation in Unlimited to a few, very specific things, like keeping the skill curve stuck between vanila and epic and not outside these established levels. Fast paced Wurm will cheapen Online too much and just add in an additional hurdle to players migrating to the online game from their single player / hosted experiences.

• Like 1

One thing I am curious about... will there be character transfers to the private servers?  Certainly never the other direction, but for those that want to keep playing private servers by all the same leveling rules, etc, it might be nice to bring our favorite alts over.

Will there be options to run multiple alts on one account?

In my own   Wurm Private server,  NO FATIGUE! Wurm just got better already,  I wonder  what else  I can think of.... ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

I hope there is a lifetime sub option, or buy once and play forever.  I hate worrying about monthlies.

• Like 1

One thing though, Rolf, I hope you include the option that if we purchase this version from Steam, that we do have the option to connect to the main servers still with our current characters and have permanent premium without having to pay it separately. That would be a good option to keep the main servers going.

Permanent premium? I doubt that can be done. That would mean Code Club receives no income from premium any more and would thus totally rely on silver sale and Steam sales.

Think about pvp for a sec.  Great way to host "Challenge" like pvp events.  Invite everyone to a weekend of mayhem. 

Treasure hunts for friends.  Since servers can be linked, invite everyone over to your server for the hunt, then wipe it when completed.

So many possibilities here.

I'm glad to see there are some constructive comments here instead of RIP wurm, or this is the worst idea ever.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this