Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

Wurm Online shouldn't die if they advertise under/alongside Wurm Online. The servers will be exposed to millions of potential players...And the player input will be high...How many of those will stay is obviously going to be low..But having maybe 50 new players a week try the game and having 1 stay as it is currently compared to having hundreds play and 2-3 stay...It could be good.

Wurm Unlimited could never really replace Wurm Online - You'll never meet a stranger to be unsure of, you'll never have a true enemy, rival or real Kingdom beef. Politics because of that will be really Naf and servers will probably rise and fall real quick so persistence won't actually happen. In a years time I will be able to go back to a place on Wurm Online and be reminded of any history I had there...On the hosted servers you won't. 

Completing missions for your own sides gods and attacking other kingdoms, religion and gods themselves all useless on a private lobby. 

Players thinking of getting this community to go over will cause Drama and be biased if rules are needed to be enforced. Wurm online has some what of a GM-team to be outside of gameplay and make the rules/enforce them without being bias. Game masters will stop any of the above because if they're "invested" in the game they won't but help ruin it in some way. Massive drama would be a result.

Map sizes may be restricted to 4 x 4 for any computer to be able to host, player size will probably be capped too, linking servers is possible but this only tells me that the map sizes/player cap which hasn't be announced will be small/low. You'll never have the feeling of hunting in the wild, spotting a log chopped down, tracking a player name and then having a 30 man JK zerg run up on you...It just doesn't compare.

You'll never feel the real risk because you won't be invested. Your deed getting raided will never matter, the armor you lose will probably be spawned if you don't feel like it. Any feeling of an economy will be wiped away...

LiF was first announced to be having a persistent large server which everybody plays on...And we're still waiting. It's currently private lobbies and when that was announced alot of people were dissapointed. Wurm atleast has this in reverse, the lobbies will be new and when players get bored of the minecraft style servers they'll come over to a hard-core styled persistent server and with having some knowledge gained from private servers...Might actually make more of a go at it.

That being said...Home kingdoms should be shutdown and Elevation should be the only server for the Epic Cluster. It's big enough to support all of the community and if players do lapse [they'll come back] it won't be as hard hitting. 

We might see server numbers rise a little in the long run. If Rolf stays true to the community and the core game. But Wurm Unlimited will be down-voted hard on steam. The video shows sounds being played as bisons run, it doesn't show those bisons glitching into mine walls. One memory leak will cause a down vote. Bah I crashed - Downvote. That wurm logic - Downvote. All the annoying things about wurm which we somehow put up with and come to ignore to love the game, will be down voted. 

Hard to say but that's my view. 

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 5

It's the only way out of this mess. People would have to be compensated for deleting the Home servers in Epic though, obviously.

Mclovin I see waht you are saying, but I cant see no where, I will not be abel to host a server and open it op for all there like to play on it.
Will say players I dont know as well, and if I dont know them, I relly cant trust them to can I?

So out from what I can see and understand, mybe I am wurng, but then tell me, and tell me where I am worg.

But I have server towers, I am abel to host large wurm server if I want to, and if I have the server client.

And if I am abel to do that, I will see my self damage wurm, becuse I can make a easy server and all that crap.

If this is released I can safely say i'll stop subscribing to wurm online.

Private Server to keep out toxic folks is a good enough incentive to finally sell up :D

• Like 4

Wurm Online shouldn't die if they advertise under/alongside Wurm Online. The servers will be exposed to millions of potential players...And the player input will be high...How many of those will stay is obviously going to be low..But having maybe 50 new players a week try the game and having 1 stay as it is currently compared to having hundreds play and 2-3 stay...It could be good.

Advertising doesn't matter when the game itself is buggy and unbalanced. Player input wasn't listened to in the first place, it doesn't matter how much there is.

Wurm Unlimited could never really replace Wurm Online - You'll never meet a stranger to be unsure of, you'll never have a true enemy, rival or real Kingdom beef. Politics because of that will be really Naf and servers will probably rise and fall real quick so persistence won't actually happen. In a years time I will be able to go back to a place on Wurm Online and be reminded of any history I had there...On the hosted servers you won't. 

This is true. The community is really what makes the game. The downside is the reason for that - the gameplay in and of itself isn't much.

Completing missions for your own sides gods and attacking other kingdoms, religion and gods themselves all useless on a private lobby. 

Same as above.

That being said...Home kingdoms should be shutdown and Elevation should be the only server for the Epic Cluster. It's big enough to support all of the community and if players do lapse [they'll come back] it won't be as hard hitting. 

JKE (and anyone else with this horribly uninformed belief) needs to realize that it is too damn late for that. Home servers make up the majority of Epic's population. You and your group have been acting on emotion, not logic, when you spam this single thought over and over. The fact of the matter is that it won't solve anything. Do you really think it will force them to play your way (how selfish in the first place)? No, they will quit, and because the money from the home servers pays for Elevation, you get the short end of the stick in the end. Before merged Epic population, it was common to see Elevation below 40 (sometimes below 20) and JKH and MRH each at 60-100 or more at peak times. Forcing people to quit will not be good for anyone - the servers, the cluster, and the entire game will lose much needed funds, and if you think nothing gets done now... whoooheee, wait and see what happens then.

By the way, your retention problems have nothing to do with how home server players play on the home server. Home servers aren't your problem.

We might see server numbers rise a little in the long run. If Rolf stays true to the community and the core game. But Wurm Unlimited will be down-voted hard on steam. The video shows sounds being played as bisons run, it doesn't show those bisons glitching into mine walls. One memory leak will cause a down vote. Bah I crashed - Downvote. That wurm logic - Downvote. All the annoying things about wurm which we somehow put up with and come to ignore to love the game, will be down voted. 

This is what I have been saying. You can't advertise a broken game that would be considered unplayable by most sane gamers and expect advertising alone to help the game. You need to fix the game. Unfortunately, I see this as the ultimate workaround. Instead of lowering shield damage, raise weapon damage to bring them closer. Instead of balancing priests, make them all even more powerful. Instead of fixing the game, let the players do it for you.

Hard to say but that's my view. 

My initial thought was "R.I.P. Wurm Online is dead." Then I thought of it differently. This may be the ultimate workaround to actually fixing the game, but what if players actually did? What if a large enough group of players committed to playing on one server or cluster owned and maintained by someone who really knew what they were doing? What if people could play only with the types of people and playstyles they wanted? We have already seen players try to buy the game, hoping to steer it in a better direction.

My fear for this is that there are some issues that players may not be able or willing to fix. Balance issues require critical thinking, but with some research an intelligent individual or group can figure it out. Memory leaks and desynchronization issues, however, are very difficult to fix and require a very in depth knowledge of the language and the engine, which we may not even have full access to.

All in all, it has potential if it's supported. I doubt it will be though. Oh well.

One last note: this is something that has been frequently suggested. Now that it's been provided, everyone hates it. The least we can do is recognize and appreciate that Rolf and Co. read something from the suggestion board. Now all we need are Glocks and trains.

na... ill buy one and make a private epic one - all up for you guys only. Putting proph, mclovin, gomeo and zeke as GM :lol: 

I'm not even sure it what sense this is a "money maker" for Rolf. It's not even that. As I said earlier, steam has refunds and buyers WILL use it as soon as they see what a pile of buggy crap it is.

Rolf is simply destroying the game for some absolutely unknown reason.

edit:

I hate it when people say player input wasn't listened to. Listening to what the players want is NOT the way to go about developing your game. You should be able to rebalance your own game instead of ducking up with each and every change you make. Player input shouldn't even be needed in the first place, let alone constantly be requested (to, as mentioned above, not even be listened to).

Edited by Elktazahjr
  • Like 2

This won't work.A lot of people will torrent it and play in "cracked" servers. On the other hand, it is good advert for wurm online.

Better would be singleplayer one, which would introduce large crowd to wurm without filling servers with tons of newbs who would quit after few hours.

Hell yes! and i got a server waiting for this right now, WOOHOOOO!!!!

• Like 1

Well, even thou i am on a break since over 7 month, i guess it is time to log in soon and disband the deeds that costs 6 silver each month.

Game will be dead in a couple of months anyway, no need to waste the money.

R.I.P.

I would hope that Rolf get what he deserves, but i am afraid he will only get some more money.

But hey, he will never be able to sold out himfelf for the amount that Notch did.

*wavesgoodbye*

No!! no no no no!

Honest to god if this happens, this would be the end for the game, and for me playing anymore.

Also, Rolf  pls pls pls push this to Nitrado  they are a privater server hosting company,  and where my private server is, so would be awsome to test all this hehe

• Like 2

Finally wurm gets on steam and exposed to thousands of new potential customers! Oh wait nevermind it's a single player version people will laugh at and move on meanwhile the population we have now thins out even more.

Hey while you're at it lets open up a few new servers so the 25 people on Celebration can become about 5. Great idea...

• Like 1

Worst direction this game could have take RIP wurm community and all the hard work we have all put it.

R.I.P Wurm current community. See you guys in the After-life.

What will happen to the current server's that are listed? Will they keep going or will they be closed?

One of your staff members asked us why is everybody selling there account?

Well, here is your awnser. You destroyed the community by this.

Edited by Devily

You what...

I can't see any point of this, it's not happening, no, just no.

Why can't you put on steam wurm online? Why the hell devs are making "Wurm copy of wurm" to put it on steam? Especially in that way? Private servers, rly?

Edited by Alkhadias

First time in my "wurm history" i've seen so many bad comments under wurm news.

Wurm is not playable the same way like Metin 2 or DOTA, competition on private servers may appear when game has something special to offer and CAN GATHER lots of people before release of private servers.

Something went wrong guys.

No regards,

Zabaq

According to me and the orginal Birdwatcher: Im glad this is happening, this takes the people who are rude out of the game, and now I can play the game I want too without dealing with the community, this is going to make  wurm so much better, I played this game   before many of these people came to wurm , and now i can play it myself and relaxe. Just like Old Times.

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

*Dance*

P.S  THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST IDEA ROLF EVER HAD!!!!!!

Edited by Thegrandreaper
  • Like 5

Should give a good estimate of how many people are fed up with griefers ^_^

But seriously... deets... what server size are we talking about?  Rough idea on cost (if deal with Steam allows revealing it this early on)?

Do tell.. do tell...

Edited by Mordraug

Sign in to follow this