Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Wurm Unlimited Announcement

This can be an advert for wurm online and money boost for developers, anyway only time will tell.

And what makes you think it's a one time purchase? Or that you don't need to connect to a main server in order to play on your own? Both seem way too likely. I can't imagine it being a non-ridiculous priced one time purchase game knowing that Rolf is behind it.

Being someone who will tear Rolf a new one for every bad decision, and highly unlikely to defend his choices...........

I don't think you read the announcement at all.  Only part that's still "to be determined" is the price *fortheonetimepurchase*

Edited by Mordraug

i will admit that Rolfs posts/answers can get lost in all the other posts but he did already say that it would be a one time purchase.

What i do to keep up on what he has answered is to go to his profile and check out his content to see what all he has replied or posted to keep up with everything he has posted. 

Edit On a side note the news has hit sandboxer.org..

http://sandboxer.org/

Edited by Kegan

When I first saw the news I was actually worried that this game, that I have now spent a long time paying for and playing was going in a negative direction. I was very tempted to join the clamour against.

I am glad I waited until now. Things never remain the same, everything changes and after reading as many comments as I can both for and against, I now see this as an opportunity that Rolf really had to take. I am quite happy to remain on my three existing servers but I am also increasingly tempted to see what WU will be like. That surely is what Rolf wanted. The loyal 'oldies' still playing but also the fresh-faced newcomers giving Wurm a go and perhaps becoming loyal clients as well.

Good luck Rolf and the rest of the team. It may be a risk but sometimes it is precisely that which can lead to even greater success.

• Like 3

I would support the new steam thing if we can customize our servers and sell coin on our private servers and edit the code. But i doubt Rolf would want to share his profits with all of us. But i would support it if it was like that. I mean if i go out my way to pay for a private server for 100-300 people to play on if i should be so lucky then the question is why wouldn't i and others making the same investment why would i not want to recoup that investment by selling ingame coin on this new steam option in our own private servers. It says in the steam description you can have GM like abilities but assume that's like playing it like mine craft in some sort of creative mode which would be absolutely no fun at all in my openion. So i guess basically im saying he should be selling this as little franchise offer of the game to those that want to invest and recruit and own there own little of pc of the pie, should be a temporary thing. But it doesn't sound like that's what he doing. To me it sounds like he cash grabbing and trying to follow a trend like so many others are doing on steam. Trends die out and whats dangerous about jumping on this wagon is the player base for the online version is already weak. If you piss off your main player base the majority leaves there a good chance they won't be back. Rolf you really messed up man! You really did! All those that volunteered time to help you develop this game, all those who spent lots of cash to support your game, you may own the game Rolf but the people who have helped you along the way had a value stake in it as well that includes your player base. You didn't ask all of us how we felt, you kept it secret and you pushed on people without a second thought. To em that was dirty, low balled sneaky and underhanded and very shady. Im reading post after post the majority is against this idea of releasing the game on steam. If you was sick of the game looking to make a fast buck you should  of sold the game to someone within the game that would have kept the game going in the right direction. So far every change you have thus made thus far has damaged the game a little more. There alot of new MMO Sandbox games coming out. The idea of making some side money in playing a game such as wurm is catching on in other experiments out there. This game is not the only unique game out there so i like many are very hurt and disappointed that you cared not for your fans and players base of your game and just decided more or less to self destruct it on steam. It's a shame. Those Devs and such that knew this was the plan and kept it hidden from us the players your just as bad as Rolf. You cared not for your friends, your fellow players and the community as a whole. This was to big for anyone person to have made a decision and just jump ship on. It should have been brought before the supporting community.

Stuff I cant read.

Get the sunflower seeds out of your space bar please.

• Like 1

So now I can be empress with 100 troops and kickass in single player! :D

The wurm playerbase is stagnant, this might be high risk for the wurm online, but if it spreads the game to more users, why not.

Now, I wonder what kind of AI they have to create for the adventure mode and if it would be easier now for them to make tutorial. Maybe cutscene / visual guided tutorial.

If this is released I can safely say i'll stop subscribing to wurm online.

Private Server to keep out toxic folks is a good enough incentive to finally sell up :D

Count me in :)

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 1

people seem to fail to realize that wurm online is not going on steam. its only wurm unlimited lol.... and chances are the only way to find it is to look directly for its name or go to like the 16th page in the steam store l0l

I think a lot of people are underestimating the amount of exposure this will generate for Wurm. Sure Steam will get the word out to more players, but the real benefit is in the private servers. Just like Minecraft, ARK, and all the other hosted games, people will make their own servers and start inviting players. These server owners are campaigning on behalf of Wurm as a whole because they now have ownership to some degree.

This influx of players will inevitably start to trickle over to other servers, perhaps even the online ones, and these are the best kind of players. These are players that were personally invited by someone who is motivated to get them to learn and like the game. Sure, some won't like it and will quit, but the ones that don't will already have a taste for it, leading to a higher retention.

Code Club is creating a network of affiliates without having to shell out percentages. Affiliate marketing has two common themes: affiliates are effective at making sales, and the one on top always comes out well ahead of the pack.

All that said, server owners need a solid product to peddle. We'll have to see if Wurm can withstand the challenges of being mainstreamed.

• Like 3

From the top I'll say I don't like the idea, If anything Wurm Online should have been released on steam years ago to bump up population on existing servers, not this new unlimited edition. 

Playing on someone else's server sounds like fun, until they stop paying hosting, restart there server, update and wipe there server, whatever it is and your back to the start all over again, if your lucky enough to find one were that doesn't happen then you'll have faired better than most. Usually just a matter of time.

In both modes you can set your player to become a Game Master with the possibility to instantly create items, summon creatures, You can also copy the whole game directory of any mode and create own, custom modes. You will be able to tweak variables such as initial skill values, skill gain rate, action timers and max number of creatures.

Once you have experienced everything at the highest level and can make anything instantly what drive is there to keep playing? In terms of longevity there is none. 

A lot of steam gamers want an action fix. You'll get people reviewing this after about 2 hours of game play. Don't think that will go down to well.

Initial exposure will be high, and then it will diminish to the point of no return.

Like everything we will wait and see, just the opinion of a bitter vet :)

Edited by Jet

From the top I'll say I don't like the idea, If anything Wurm Online should have been released on steam years ago to bump up population on existing servers, not this new unlimited edition. 

Playing on someone else's server sounds like fun, until they stop paying hosting, restart there server, update and wipe there server, whatever it is and your back to the start all over again, if your lucky enough to find one were that doesn't happen then you'll have faired better than most.

Once you have experienced everything at the highest level and can make anything instantly what drive is there to keep playing? In terms of longevity there is none. 

A lot of steam gamers want an action fix. You'll get people reviewing this after about 2 hours of game play. Don't think that will go down to well.

Initial exposure will be high, and then it will diminish to the point of no return.

Like everything we will wait and see, just the opinion of a bitter vet :)

people still play miinecraft all around even with godmode ;) ... in sandbox game where goal can be made, having super power doesn't diminish that goal... I played on test server and having fun with super fast skilling and even 70 skills but I dont stick there even tho I could. I assume, this is what happens for that one question of yours :)

Edited by rosedragon

Hey Rosey :)

people still play miinecraft all around even with godmode  ;) ... in sandbox game where goal can be made, having super power doesn't diminish that goal... I played on test server and having fun with super fast skilling and even 70 skills but I dont stick there even tho I could. I assume, this is what happens for that one question of yours 

An interesting comparison and a valid point, a big driver in Wurm has always been levelling up to make certain things achievable though.

Maybe I lack imagination  :P

Edited by Jet

I would support the new steam thing if we can customize our servers and sell coin on our private servers and edit the code. But i doubt Rolf would want to share his profits with all of us. But i would support it if it was like that. I mean if i go out my way to pay for a private server for 100-300 people to play on if i should be so lucky then the question is why wouldn't i and others making the same investment why would i not want to recoup that investment by selling ingame coin on this new steam option in our own private servers. It says in the steam description you can have GM like abilities but assume that's like playing it like mine craft in some sort of creative mode which would be absolutely no fun at all in my openion. So i guess basically im saying he should be selling this as little franchise offer of the game to those that want to invest and recruit and own there own little of pc of the pie, should be a temporary thing. But it doesn't sound like that's what he doing. To me it sounds like he cash grabbing and trying to follow a trend like so many others are doing on steam. Trends die out and whats dangerous about jumping on this wagon is the player base for the online version is already weak. If you piss off your main player base the majority leaves there a good chance they won't be back. Rolf you really messed up man! You really did! All those that volunteered time to help you develop this game, all those who spent lots of cash to support your game, you may own the game Rolf but the people who have helped you along the way had a value stake in it as well that includes your player base. You didn't ask all of us how we felt, you kept it secret and you pushed on people without a second thought. To em that was dirty, low balled sneaky and underhanded and very shady. Im reading post after post the majority is against this idea of releasing the game on steam. If you was sick of the game looking to make a fast buck you should  of sold the game to someone within the game that would have kept the game going in the right direction. So far every change you have thus made thus far has damaged the game a little more. There alot of new MMO Sandbox games coming out. The idea of making some side money in playing a game such as wurm is catching on in other experiments out there. This game is not the only unique game out there so i like many are very hurt and disappointed that you cared not for your fans and players base of your game and just decided more or less to self destruct it on steam. It's a shame. Those Devs and such that knew this was the plan and kept it hidden from us the players your just as bad as Rolf. You cared not for your friends, your fellow players and the community as a whole. This was to big for anyone person to have made a decision and just jump ship on. It should have been brought before the supporting community.

Fairly certain the Dev team knew about this... in regards to him "bringing it to us first" the last game I recall that let the community 100% shape the game was DF:UW, and look where it went.

Majority of the player-base is for for the steam release for a few reasons. (This may not be completely true) I believe the only reason we're seeing so much negative response is because it's easy to complain about change, than to actually open up to positive possibilities.

It's getting Wurm's name out there! The more people who know about Wurm Online/Unlimited, the more people we should see flowing in, if I'm not mistaken there was already a chart posted somewhere showing our population growing a little bit. 

WU servers will not be 100% reliable, however Wurm Online official servers will be. He's already stated the servers will not be going down. Look at Wurm right now, with the amount of time and effort you need to put into the game are you really going to trust someone across the planet who could literally drop off all forms of contact from everyone to keep your progress.. or not abuse their power? Sure the same could be said about Rolf, but he's been in it for the long run. This game is his baby.

You may see it as a cash grab, and for all I know it very well may be one! But the more money this game has I see nothing but benefit. The money that's put into the company will push it deeper into development.

If you choose to go the path of running a WU server or playing on other people's WU servers tread very very lightly, else you may find the server hoster abandoning his server and leaving your 6 months of effort or more to null.

Edited by Tehangel2
  • Like 2

I doubt players will move from playing SP to playing MP, not many atleast. When someone finds "wurm's" on steam (WU and WO) they will consider what they want from the game, the pro's and cons of each option (SP or MP) and then they will choose. If they then like the game enough to actually invest the time and energy to learn the game, I doubt they will want to restart from scratch after that.

Persoanally it feels to me like rolf is still dreaming after notch... Lol, "Lets throw in adventure mode!...minecraft has it right?" >_<

Edited by Steeloxide

I doubt players will move from playing SP to playing MP, not many atleast. When someone finds "wurm's" on steam (WU and WO) they will consider what they want from the game, the pro's and cons of each option (SP or MP) and then they will choose. If they then like the game enough to actually invest the time and energy to learn the game, I doubt they will want to restart from scratch after that.

Persoanally it feels to me like rolf is still dreaming after notch... Lol, "Lets throw in adventure mode!...minecraft has it right?" >_<

This is probable.

There likely won't be an outrageous amount of players who move across. However I view it is if even 100 unique players over a full year decide, yeah I'll bite the bullet and pay 10 euros per month to try the real thing, those players can then create premium alts, share the word of the game, all still pushing the game forward.

For the ones who don't; they still bought WU, which supports Wurm's budget.

Sure Notch with Minecraft may have done the same thing, but the same can be said about ARK, Life is Feudal, etc. 

I can't see anything but long term benefits.

Short term, I can see how Wurm would suffer. The population will thin for a bit while people test out server hosting/joining servers. I know I'll toy around with the client. I'll probably pop a server but I won't be playing on it much, if at all. Only times I'll be found on it is for events/moderating. My time has been, and will continue to be spent on WO.

Edited by Tehangel2

Yes we'll enjoy this game playing with a total of 20 other people in a post apocalyptic looking world

Fairly certain the Dev team knew about this... in regards to him "bringing it to us first" the last game I recall that let the community 100% shape the game was DF:UW, and look where it went.

Majority of the player-base is for for the steam release for a few reasons. (This may not be completely true) I believe the only reason we're seeing so much negative response is because it's easy to complain about change, than to actually open up to positive possibilities.

It's getting Wurm's name out there! The more people who know about Wurm Online/Unlimited, the more people we should see flowing in, if I'm not mistaken there was already a chart posted somewhere showing our population growing a little bit. 

WU servers will not be 100% reliable, however Wurm Online official servers will be. He's already stated the servers will not be going down. Look at Wurm right now, with the amount of time and effort you need to put into the game are you really going to trust someone across the planet who could literally drop off all forms of contact from everyone to keep your progress.. or not abuse their power? Sure the same could be said about Rolf, but he's been in it for the long run. This game is his baby.

You may see it as a cash grab, and for all I know it very well may be one! But the more money this game has I see nothing but benefit. The money that's put into the company will push it deeper into development.

If you choose to go the path of running a WU server or playing on other people's WU servers tread very very lightly, else you may find the server hoster abandoning his server and leaving your 6 months of effort or more to null.

You said that he (Rolf) has already stated the servers would not go down.Maybe that's true maybe its not but as he experiences a down fall in his player base he like anyone will have to make important economic decisions. Raising the price again would encourage more to leave the game. Cutting back on his expenses would be the logical choice and im telling you as the player base declines from this new venture of his you will see abandoned servers go one by one.  This is the problem. He has now made a shorter version of Wurm and calls it Wurm Unlimited where he placing a bet on fast growing and trendy outlet for video games in general which is steam. Like any trend it has its time of glory and then sooner or later fades away. If his game takes off there it's doubtful once those players pay the money and invest the time that they will just walk away from it all and pay more to come play the online experience. Then you have the aspect that there is players on the online  version that will want to try the steam version. So they will (A) buy a copy try it out for a short time then be back to the original or (b ) they will like it so much they will stay on the Steam version and abandon the online version. In both cases there will be a down fall in active players on the online version. In any game no matter what game people sooner or later get bored playing it. I am bored playing wurm online right now so im doing other things but like i do all games sooner or later ill come back to play it again. So when you put these newbs on a steam game playing a dumb down version or simplistic version of wurm on the steam format, in reality its burning up there motivation for game play to the online version. They will get bored the majority will quit never having tried the online version at all. Then again there may be some who make free accounts and mess with it for a few days then leave kinda like what we all experience from time to time now but on a much larger scale.

Im sorry but what was seen as a good marketing tool for game exposure is going to be a flip flop and it's going to hurt the online game even more then whats been done in the last 8-16 months. Yes the game is Rolf game no one disputes that. But we as a player base have paid in to support the game and its development and to use the entertainment of the game for our enjoyment. When that enjoyment is gone so will the people be. Slowly but surely it's starting to degrade. There was many other options in which Rolf could have explored to expose the game to attract more players. But like always Rolf does what Rolf wants to and doesn't really ask anyone else for there imput on marketing this has been seen by many even before i played as his main problem.

What i don't get and what alot people are upset about is why he decided to release basically another game without fixing the game online and all its bugs first. Alot of issues with some latest changes to the game and not all the bugs have been worked out. So why did he release a new version of the game without fixing the older version. I keep coming back to the idea that he has abandoned the online game and put all his eggs in one basket being the steam version.  I could be wrong. More then likely am wrong. But i don't feel im wrong about his choice to release this Wurm Unlimited, i feel it will be the final nail in the coffin for the online game.

Edited by Yamuliss
  • Like 1

I am only speaking for myself here when I say this so this is just one player's perspective.

I enjoy wurm online because anything worth having or looking at in game takes a real time investment. Showing off that impressive castle or village on the mountain top that took months to build means nothing on a single player game. I enjoy the multiplayer part. You never know who you are going to meet at any time in the game.

I am a wurm addict. I've been playing for 4 or 5 years. I'm driven by goals in the game: get to 90 blacksmith, earn a new title, finish building the 4 story mansion, etc., but again, All would be pointless in single player mode. I could earn 100 mining in single player by either the hard way or the instant GM way. Why? So I can mine faster. Why? So I can find new ore or tunnel faster. Why? Because...Idk. it's single player mode no real point to me.

BUT I do like the idea of playing around on wurm unlimited. I plan on making the most elaborate village/city I can imagine without any time or skill restraints. It might take even a few weeks. Once I get done thou I will be pretty much done with WU.

Then on return to WO I'm wondering if I will have any desire to play anymore. I will have fulfilled my building desires instantly on WU. I don't know if I will want to go back to the slow grind even on multiplayer. I have been a gamer since pong days on a black and white tv set (pre nintendo) so I can be honest with myself about how I feel about games once I'm able to cheat in them. I lose all desire to play any more once I've enabled any cheats. WU will feel that way to me.

Sure I could just not try it but honestly I really do want to check it out. In the end thou it may just be the thing that breaks my addiction to Wurm Online.

Again this is just one player and may mean nothing to you the reader or Rolf. I just wonder if anyone else feels the same if they do what that means for the online game in the future.

• Like 2

"rip in peace werm ermagerd"

All of you saying this will be playing it lol

I feel like this REALLY is a good time to have an other Q/A with Rolf and the devs. The last time we had one they promised to do it regularly. Well it's time to cash in on that promise I say. You guys kinda dropped  the equivalent of an atomic bomb on us, the news about WU shook up the community very badly.

So how about one of the staff members between two grinding sessions makes a post, gathers the questions, and Rolf will answer them? I recall the last time it had a nice and calming effect on the community, our curiosity was satisfied and we had the answers we needed.

People are worried, especially those who invested a lot into this game, and I don't just mean money, but time as well. Which I think is understandable ... so before the angry mob gets out the pitchforks, let's have a little chat between Code Club and us, hm?  ;)

Edited by Nikab
  • Like 1

Well you know im just fine with his Wurm Unlimited campaign now that i think about it a little harder.Him and his teams of developers are the ones that lose in the long run.  I understand when setting up a private server you can decide what the creation time is. So it doesn't have to be instant it can be like it is now. Rumors are running rapid that code can be altered. Much like it is now for Skyrim where the community making there own mods and changes. So everyone pony up buy your $100.00 version of it like Rolf wants. I plan to rent a server a large server if all the rumors are true we shall make a server that caters to what we all desire right now here is the best part, no more subscription fees! There still will be an ingame economy we will figure it out as we go. All rolf did with his release of this is end the online game, for sure the online version is Dead. It's never coming back people. Other's like my self will do the same. I sold all my accounts off all i have now left is a couple worthless deeds some tools with enchants that no one going to want anyways because its not high enough QL. A few ships but the ship market over saturated anyways.  So if i was playing right now id tell those left you best SELL OUT! It isn't worth staying in. Im looking into a private server now for myself my wife and friends to play on. Truthfully im sure prices on stuff are the lowest it will ever be on wurm online. As panic sets in stuff will be even lower to try and sell. Whats a good 80QL Enchanted tool cost now and what did it cost a month ago. If i was playing knew the player base was in decline i wouldn't pay more then 20 coppers for it. The game over people it's rolf and the devs fault no one else but theirs. They didn't consult all of you the player base. They didn't tell you because they knew the reaction and how it would be. After playing strong for years. I noticed in the last year which is probably the year they was working on this new version. I noticed the GMs lack enforcing rules like they once did. No wonder why, i see why now. They knew the game was headed for an apocalypse.  So do as you like people but wurm after the release of wurm unlimited will never be the same. No i dont think it will be for the better.

• Like 1

Thank God.

For once I wont post one of my 3000 word post, and just say....

I said this was coming.

People Doubted me.

The fourth time i've seen it, Though in this case, I would say (for the wurm team) It's a great thing.  and for anyone who enjoys being able to play and own everything.

AND REMEMBER.

People, this isn't fully a bad thing.  yes, you ARE going to lose friends likely....sadly.  but remember this - How many people will try the steam version and want a real world?.....Guess where they will flock to?

Just hope Wurm's prepared for the hordes,  This is a Win/Win. even if it doesn't seem like it.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this