Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

Rolf, 

What type of database is being implemented for WU?

Before i preorder, 

any news on multiboxing, or being able to do everything with one single char as alternative?

yall are going nuts with this wurm online will die crap. WO wont die off.   Look at minecraft, for once  it makes a perfect example. There is Thousands of mods for minecraft that changes the gameplay massively and its still drawing millions of players. hell my daughters still going nuts over it. WU will only help the dev of WO. Why? Modders. Steams encourages modders, has a workshop for it and allows ya to extend your gameplay by miles.  Modders fix alot of the bugs  ingames, do graphics updates and generally make  what was a bad game, great or a great game even more awsome.  Rolf did the right thing here, It will succeed.  However, his past ideas of they will deal with it wont fly on steam. That kinda thinking will end you , because all major gaming sites pretty much go off steam reviews, if its bad, they will slam ya hard. Also wurm reviews will make ya or break ya. you cant delete them. No player or dev has control over them. You will be at the customers mercy. in this aspect rolf will quickly find out, past habits wont work there. BUT! if bug fixs happens fairly fast and release goes good, i can seee  tons of good reviews which will massively boost the pop of WU and possibly WO  a year down the road

Look at minecraft, for once  it makes a perfect example.

Eh, no.

Imagine if minecraft had 2 versions. One vanilla with a monthly subscription & a couple of servers hosted by Mojang, and one modded version that anyone can host and modify, with a small one-time fee.

Edited by Rotab

What handicapped accessible options if any are included?:I am a Quadriplegic that uses SmartNav to control the mouse and I have had issues with the looking around on the normal client.

i left this game a while ago because it felt like single player, except for the odd random brief encounter or something like impalong.

The idea of having an easy mode single player game doesnt interest me at all - i like the grind because it divides people out, you have to ask ppl with skills you dont have to help etc. Whats the point in playing if everything just happens instantly? thats not a game thats just a 3d design program for ppl who want to landscape their gardens :P

I came back tot eh forum hoping the steam release was for the main game and that there would be a lot more people but this is kinda meh - my only hope is that the advert will get people attracted to the online game because the advertising for wurm is terrible - i searched for years trying to find a good sandbox game and FINALLY found wurm only to see it had been running for a long time lol, even now if i dont use the word wurm in a search it would be very hard to find a reference to wurm.

I know too many people would hate this but I think the best thing would be to take wurm online to steam with a total server wipe save for characters and their inventories - or maybe just wipe xana and chaos or something 

Edited by CountZero

Not sure if this info has been posted any where, you can cluster WU servers...

I know too many people would hate this but I think the best thing would be to take wurm online to steam with a total server wipe save for characters and their inventories - or maybe just wipe xana and chaos or something 

Or we could just delete the Freedom Isles and everyone can play on Epic (as it should be).

Returning player here... What is Wurm Unlimited exactly? Singleplayer wurm? 

I'm not all sure and wish to know more about this and what I should do.

Returning player here... What is Wurm Unlimited exactly? Singleplayer wurm? 

I'm not all sure and wish to know more about this and what I should do.

Its Wurm but you can run your own server (on the same machine you play Wurm on,  doesn't need its own hardware), or join ones other people host. So it can be single player if you wish or multiplayer. Basically it allows you to play Wurm how you want to play Wurm, especially given you can set how fast you gain skills, speed of the action timer, etc.

All for one low price i.e. no monthly fee.

Its an amazing deal for a great game.

Edited by WUPlayer

I currently have about 1200 hours in a game called 7 Days to Die. Some here may have heard of it, most likely have not. It's a zombie themed survival/crafting kind of fpsy game.
Anyway, everyone has the option of playing single player with creative mode and god mode options. Most folks land there initially. Then they get bored out of their gourds with having it all and having no challenge.

Then they come to a multi player server where between 8 and 40 or so people play.
Then they start having fun and building communities.
Even through the various updates and server wipes and iterations, there are about a dozen or so people on each server that form a community again from scratch and start expanding the community through helping other players and trading, etc.

It's at a lull now, because the next update, A13, is due out just before Halloween and most of the players are out doing other thing until then, as there are server wipes between every full iteration. (A11, A12, A13, etc.)

I see WU kind of like that. Folks will have fun and build their own worlds and derp around a bit. Some will form multi-player servers, and most will eventually come over to WO.

Why? The challenge. Easy mode gets awfully boring awfully quickly. So does single player.

This, I think, has the full potential to revitalise WO with an expanded player base. So I don't see this as the end-of-everything doom and gloom that some folks do.
If people like Wurm, they'll eventually get bored of single player and will likely come over to the more difficult version of the game, WO.

Or they may just join a private server instead. Who knows? But each sale of WU is cash for CodeClub, which they'll then use to develop more Wurm, which everyone should be happy with.

• Like 1

This is a different game correct? Make your own website for it. Get this garbage off the WO site

This is a different game correct? Make your own website for it. Get this garbage off the WO site

Just minimize this category and we will never hear from you again. Deal? :)

• Like 2

I haven't been taking part in the conversations on this topic yet, but I thought I'd chime in and share my thoughts. As long as WU is not some secret plan to eventually phase out WO (and I hope to god it's not!!!), I'm happy and optimistic about what WU will mean for WO. Although it's understandable that people are concerned about it thinning out the population on WO, my prediction is that even though this may happen slightly at first with many WO people buying WU to check it out and play around with it (myself included), they will soon return to living their WO life once the novelty is over and will only play around with WU once in a while to get their creative fix. Much like playing the Sims.

In the long run though, I think that not only will the majority of WO players get back to spending most of their time in the good old online version, but we will see a huge influx of new players who try WU out to get a taste for the game and then will want to graduate to "the real thing" once they find out there is an actual MMO version of the game.

The main problem with WO is the fact that it's undiscovered and unknown to the majority of the MMO players out there for whom this would actually be their dream MMO. As it was for me a couple of years ago. And already the very first night I played, I KNEW this is the game for me. The YouTube comments on my intro video prove it! Look at all these people thrilled to discover the game and get right down to downloading. Wurm just needs to be discovered, and what better "tool" than a presence on Steam through WU. Excited to see how this plays out!

youtubecomments.jpg

• Like 3

Eh Rolf made his own website for it, it's in the wurmonline.com domain, and WU uses the Wurm Online code and will get its updates from WO updates.

Now take that trashy attitude to some blizzard.com site.

• Like 3

WU will not act like other single player games where when updates happen maps have to be reset. Updates will work just like the official WO game. If a map does reset it would be from the host hosting the server redoing a new map or what not it won't be because the game had a update.

Now as far as people playing WU eventually going to WO yes some will but will quit fast afterwards and go back to WU for one main reason. As of right now WO is peaked at the player base who like or don't mind a Real World economy based on the real world dollar. All the people trying WU will be those who don't like that and this allows them to play with out that economy. What people need to realize is 98% of all mmo's or games have a in game economy that has never been based on a real world dollar. So when you try to get them to come play your game and tell them you going to have to spend X amounts of money each month in a game they will not go for it. This is where I've in the past tried to explain and tell Rolf that if he want's this player base to grow he is going to have to make another server or server's to use a in game coin not based on the real world dollar economy.

Gamer's don't mind paying a one time fee they don't even mind paying a monthly sub not exceeding the standard 14.99 a month but when you tell them they will have to fork cash for in game items and a virtual coin it isn't going to float with them.

So for those who think WU will increase the player base of WO you need to remember you are one of those who don't have a issue spending your real money for virtural items that one day will eventually not exist. This is why many say WO will die they know and understand this. They also know there is a lot of people who play WO now who deal with it but if given the option to opt out they will and WU gives that option and the player base for WO will decrease cause this is what these players have been waiting for.

Some of the people opting out will be replaced with some new players who don't mind the system of Real economy and these will be people who didn't know WO existed until all the publicity from WU.

The other majority of newcomers will stay with WU cause it can be used to not deal with a Real World economy and dip in there wallets and these will also be the players who do not like real world money trade and there are hundreds of thousands of these type of players.

In order to force a pve player to play on a pvp server you can't offer a pve server what so ever. And the reason this fails in todays gaming is cause there is always another mmo who offers pve game play. So this will never work. Same goes for real world economy game. It will never work cause there are so many mmo's that offer the opposite. If you want to attract both gamers you need to give them what they want and that is and will always be opposite servers.

Rolf has the ability to create non real world economy servers and offer a system where these gamers can have wurm in there way in a online version and this would be a new cluster separate from the old clusters now. How to get coin in a server like this? Yes I will explain it now.

New mobs = Robber's, Bandit's, Pirate's etc.... These mobs drop a random amount of coin when killed trading goods to tokens and traders same system already in wurm. Trolls and goblins drop coin cause in any fantasy game these mobs have a economy and trade with world coin so they would drop coin to. I believe Rolf should create his own Online servers with a economy not based on a Real world dollar on the side of WU so he can cover a fan base he is missing out on so bad who would play WO if it wasn't based on a Real World economy.

Now that I have WU I can now have my own WO server not based on a RW dollar economy and this is why I'm leaving WO and going to WU cause I now have my opt out option.

Amount of the transaction       23.99 USD

Date of the transaction        :2015-10-08 01:28:52 (UTC/GMT)

​

Edited by Arkonick

Wurm is much like a free to play MMO with a pay shop as far as investment of real world money goes.,  When I buy a mount or potion or another alt or bigger bag or DLC in ESO, I have to buy crowns with real world money, and can optionally invest in a subscription which gives me some crowns to spend.  When I played DDO it was actually cheaper to subscribe than use the pay shop, and that is the main reason many MMOs have switched to pay shops is because they make more money than subs. 

The big difference is that in Wurm you are very restricted in player level, capabilities and land ownership without investment, but you always have the option to earn the silvers in game and invest time rather than cash, while in ESO this is not possible but both pull every sales trick in the book to get you into your wallet and keep you grinding out the time.  The only real economy difference is the corporate shop vs. the player shops enables an actual in game trade economy, but that has nothing to do with the silver for euro shop as many an WU server aims to demonstrate with the ability to place silvers into the game using existing game mechanics that require time investment.

So the real world economy is not really valid argument why people quit, because any game with a pay shop can burn your wallet just as much if you let it because you have the option to play for free.   I think the larger reason is only a minority of people want to deal with others peoples problems, and would much rather play with a known group of friends or themselves even if WO was completely free with no silver shop - since it is actually the majority of the ex WO players are indeed ones that already played for free.

Edited by yarnevk

So the real world economy is not really valid argument why people quit, because any game with a pay shop can burn your wallet just as much if you let it because you have the option to play for free.

Land and monthly upkeep in other games is not part of a cash shop. Most game cash shops are filled with gear illusions and weapon illusions and some decorative furniture etc...

Yes you are right about one think a lot of people would rather play by them selves or with friends.

Wurm is in no way a FTP mmo. If it didn't have a level cap and you could build any where and it not cost you a dime then it would be a FTP mmo with a cash shop.

Edited by Arkonick

Land and monthly upkeep in other games is not part of a cash shop. Most game cash shops are filled with gear illusions and weapon illusions and some decorative furniture etc...

Yes you are right about one think a lot of people would rather play by them selves or with friends.

Wurm is in no way a FTP mmo. If it didn't have a level cap and you could build any where and it not cost you a dime then it would be a FTP mmo with a cash shop.

In general free to play mmo do not have player built housing, most mmos rarely even have instanced housing.  So that is not a qualifier.  The land and monthly upkeep fee is just a way of obtaining a benefit for reoccuring subscription, many MMOs will also benefit subscribers in different ways.   DDO did not level cap you as a f2p but if you wanted to actually level up with gear that got you into raids you had to buy the adventure modules which where usually free with a sub (until they started charging on top of the sub which is about when I quit).  Sure you could have paiinstakingly ground it out in the noob free areas, but the entire point of playing D&D is for modules so they milked it as much as they could.

Wurm is a f2p MMO - even the level uncap and land fees can be paid for using earned silver by working for other players that bought silver.  You are just giving the option of accelerating your game progress by not having to earn your silvers and just buy them yourself.  That is the difference with the game is that it has a player-driven economy rather than a cash shop economy, but that does not disqualify it from being f2p    Inherently f2p are subsidized by fewer players that pay, be that cash shop, subs or land/char fees.  

The reason that WU exists is because Rolf finally realized that his 5% retention rate is the worst in the f2p industry, so he added the game mode that is b2p - more people paying less can be more money, even if the only player base is only the 95% that quit WO he will succeed in the short term because that was 95% that was never going to pay him again that he recaptured a payment.  In the long term both new people need to come to WU and WO.

Edited by yarnevk

Well after playing for 2 years now, I've finally reached the point where the game has actually become a FTP for me since I'm able pay for my deed and premium with the silver I've earned inside the game. Being able to do this is most other MMOs is pretty much impossible. The only catch is to make new players aware of these possibilities and will give a goal to work towards. 

Well after playing for 2 years now, I've finally reached the point where the game has actually become a FTP for me since I'm able pay for my deed and premium with the silver I've earned inside the game. Being able to do this is most other MMOs is pretty much impossible. The only catch is to make new players aware of these possibilities and will give a goal to work towards.

Not really good idea, most newbies in my alliance we told this is possible burned out without even being premium for the first time.

• Like 1

Found it makes more senses to "pay premium since you'll need that $ to prem for any other mmo anyways, buy/forage up 10s for a min-sized deed, from there ANYONE can forage 1s of rare coins a month, any excess can be used to slowly expand and pay upkeep in advance.. just don't burn out".

Not really good idea, most newbies in my alliance we told this is possible burned out without even being premium for the first time.

Would not be a middle ages simulator without a serf class....it is possible though if you want to work at bulk resourcing for the upper class busy with their 90QL shipyards and smiths.    Which is what makes it f2p - all f2p make it so that it is much easier to play the game if you buy something, it is inherent in their design that while this is possible to grind for free it is probable that the majority will not.  But increasingly it becomes impossible in f2p though as they tilt that balance to increase profits.  ESO has armor sets and mounts unique to their store that are not available in the game otherwise, the previous premium design of the game was that you earned those things by grinding.  Even if someone could still grind for it, why would they if people that did not grind for it can get the same thing?

Edited by yarnevk

Perhaps Wurm Unlimited server could be made so that there are gm action logs from the start of a new map. And these logs are publicly accessible, and somehow verifiable as genuine logs. idk how???

Then players would be able to trust that gms or any server admin aren't cheating for themselves or their friends. (I guess they could still cheat by customizing a spot on the map for themselves.. but.)

I don't see how any large pvp population could be achievable without some method of trusting server admins whom you don't know personally.