Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

Look on the bright side - at least people will be able to change their names :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG LOL ROLF CAVED WOW LOL

Some people get it because well, this is the way they play the game. Wurm Online is about the players within it and collectively what they make/create out of these Island continents (servers), that then is preserved over the years. This is called interaction of a diverse player base with diverse interests.

This is what Wurm Unlimited does not offer in either version, since in player controlled servers they could vanish or the player be banished at any time for any reason or whim. Yet what they both do offer is exposure to the game of Wurm, which some may then decide is something they would like to be involved with in the more stable existing Wurm Online. Then if they even just plug into it as a free player they will experience the vast difference in these servers and broader player interactions. Sort of like a Golden Valley introduction to the game.

Simple solution for those who abhor this Wurm Unlimited version, don't play it! I think most who doom and gloom this concept just do so for the not too well hidden reason that it will reduce their in-game profit making capabilities. For this I don't have much concern as I see it as a positive direction for the game to take even as a side effect. Better that the game finally focuses upon its own profit making ability first for a change.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 7

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdvT56E2MXk

The MMO is officially dead, the game may live on as Wurm Unlimited, but the experience of Wurm Online as it is, as it was released and always has been, will be something alien and unappealing compared to this transition.

Edited by Huntar

WU doesn't mean WO won't be coming to Steam at some point. Rolf could be intending it as a warmup. The Life is Feudal private server version is supposed to be a warmup for a LiF MMO.

WO is about the least Steam-ready game I think of, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

Personally -- I think the rendering engine upgrade (being worked on in the background) needs to get done before pushing WO onto Steam. Maybe this is the plan. Maybe it's already built into WU (although I doubt it).

Fun note: the "view the manual" button links to wurmpedia.

Chilling note: Mortal Online's recent launch on Steam went rough (Mixed).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287920/

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I think Rolf is positioning this project as a bit of gamble that would be easy to learn from and move past. I don't think MMOs die this easy after 10 years.

Fitting as Wurmpedia really isn't a wiki anymore. :rolleyes:

Some people get it because well, this is the way they play the game. Wurm Online is about the players within it and collectively what they make/create out of these Island continents (servers), that then is preserved over the years. This is called interaction of a diverse player base with diverse interests.

This is what Wurm Unlimited does not offer in either version, since in player controlled servers they could vanish or the player be banished at any time for any reason or whim. Yet what they both do offer is exposure to the game of Wurm, which some may then decide is something they would like to be involved with in the more stable existing Wurm Online. Then if they even just plug into it as a free player they will experience the vast difference in these servers and broader player interactions. Sort of like a Golden Valley introduction to the game.

Simple solution for those who abhor this Wurm Unlimited version, don't play it! I think most who doom and gloom this concept just do so for the not too well hidden reason that it will reduce their in-game profit making capabilities. For this I don't have much concern as I see it as a positive direction for the game to take even as a side effect. Better that the game finally focuses upon its own profit making ability first for a change.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Exactly! :)

WU doesn't mean WO won't be coming to Steam at some point. Rolf could be intending it as a warmup. The Life is Feudal private server version is supposed to be a warmup for a LiF MMO.

WO is about the least Steam-ready game I think of, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

Personally -- I think the rendering engine upgrade (being worked on in the background) needs to get done before pushing WO onto Steam. Maybe this is the plan. Maybe it's already built into WU (although I doubt it).

Chilling note: Mortal Online's recent launch on Steam went rough (Mixed).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287920/

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I think Rolf is positioning this project as a bit of gamble that would be easy to learn from and move past. I don't think MMOs die this easy after 10 years.

Why would people play a game that takes months to get skills while you have to pay premium and deed costs when there is a one time payment alternative that can be built to get everything instantly?

Most people going from WU>WO would reach this conclusion, there are a few that might end up migrating though. Nobody seems to realize that with that alternative, it's cheaper, and it will take away from the feeling of true wonder about how things work, or the sense of achievement that you get after a good 8 hour grinding sesh.

Edited by Propheteer

Why would people play a game that takes months to get skills while you have to pay premium and deed costs when there is a one time payment alternative that can be built to get everything instantly?

Why do people already do that?

There is no shortage of other MMO's or Minecraft servers to play in the other ways already, those people are already busy NOT playing WO. If they dabble in WU, the WO community at worst, loses nothing.

Why do people already do that?

There is no shortage of other MMO's or Minecraft servers to play in the other ways already, those people are already busy NOT playing WO. If they dabble in WU, the WO community at worst, loses nothing.

Because those games -arent- Wurm.

Those other MMO's dont have the same grueling grind, they don't have the same feeling of community, they don't offer the same level of detail and variety. Minecraft was built with an entirely different idea in mind outside of "sandbox".

Edited by Propheteer

Most people going from WU>WO would reach this conclusion, there are a few that might end up migrating though. Nobody seems to realize that with that alternative, it's cheaper, and it will take away from the feeling of true wonder about how things work, or the sense of achievement that you get after a good 8 hour grinding sesh.

I agree with is. I don't understand the logic, what many people have, that when people get tired of WU, they will move to online server. I don't see many people thinking that when they get bored of WU, then they move to WO, to start extremely slow journey to the point, which made them bored in the first place.. and pay premium ontop of that. Doesn't really make sense to me.

So I don't really see many people moving from WU to WO. That said, I don't say WU will be a disaster, it can be successful, or it can be a flop. That only time will tell. But while I don't see many people moving from WU to WO, I think opposite is more likely. Having the opportunity to stop paying premium while still playing wurm without having to worry about griefers.. I think that lures more people away from WO to WU. Especially considering the fact, that you don't have to play alone, you can get all your alliance together and move to WU, basically having the same experience than in WO.

Let's see, how it all works out.. everything here is just speculation, from both sides (supporters and opposers)..

Edited by rixk

Those other MMO's dont have the same grueling grind, they don't have the same feeling of community, they don't offer the same level of detail and variety. Minecraft was built with an entirely different idea in mind outside of "sandbox".

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? People already play WO "because those games -arent- Wurm." doesn't really add anything...

Objecting to WU because people who don't like WO might play it, doesn't make much sense.

Objecting to WU because people who play WO might leave because some aspect (such as the "grueling grind") is able to be tweaked is WU, is just trying to force people to play your way.

WU can have exactly the same "grueling grind" if you want it.

I think "feeling of community" is over stated, often. People will still have their communities, and the forums and such. And they'll actually have more control of the many negative aspects of the community.

"Level of detail and variety" I would expect to be the same in WU, if not more so once the modding community get hold of it.

And what part of minecraft makes it not a "sandbox"?

Having the opportunity to stop paying premium while still playing wurm without having to worry about griefers.. I think that lures more people away from WO to WU. Especially considering the fact, that you don't have to play alone, you can get all your alliance together and move to WU, basically having the same experience than in WO.

I agree, that is the greatest risk to WO.

All that WO has over WU is the larger online community. Individual opinions on whether that is a good thing or a bad thing vary.

I'm confused why many folks assume every player of WU will tweak it to an extreme level of instant gratification. I play Minecraft to this day and I play it often. One of the mods I always use is NEI (Not Enough Items). This mod lets you spawn any item in the game, instantly and for nothing. It lets you toggle to creative mode from survival with a press of a key. Its a good example of extreme instant gratification possibility. Guess what, I still mine down to lava level and look for diamonds. I still run around looking for extreme hills so I can find emeralds. Ya, I could just press E, type in diamond, and generate a stack of 64, but I don't.

Imo, If you love community and interacting with others you'll come to WO regardless of the grind. If you prefer a more solo experience you'll likely stay with WU.

What i'm most looking forward to in WU is I can play it a little more like how I want to play Wurm. I hate fighting so I'll likely set my fighting related skills to 100, and generate a bunch of fantastic godly like fighting equipment so for the most part I can ignore it. Then I can craft, grind, and build. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

I been playing wurm for many years and have almost 1000 days of play time...yes, DAYS. The only reason I want others around is so I can sell stuff to them and earn enough silver to pay my premium/deed upkeep.

• Like 2

What i'm most looking forward to in WU is I can play it a little more like how I want to play Wurm. I hate fighting so I'll likely set my fighting related skills to 100, and generate a bunch of fantastic godly like fighting equipment so for the most part I can ignore it. Then I can craft, grind, and build. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

It seems to me that we will have the ability to remove aggressive mobs completely from the Wurm Unlimited single player version. If so this is what I would do, since I don't even want to have to see them appear in my own version. If they can't be eliminated maybe just adjust the spawn rate to almost nil and then have them only attack other aggros so that they kill each other, heh. No way I want to waste any time dealing with them there.

=Ayes=

I figure I'll make the following tweaks (give or take) to the server options and play normally with my wife, kids and close friends on WU occasionally, also utilizing it as a "live" deed planner.  Otherwise I'll continue playing on WO for the community and economy:  2x skill gain, increased skill timers, and absolutely NO winter (assuming I get the option).  Basically, my intent is to use it as a more casual version of Wurm to enjoy with my family, who currently have no patience for the online version.

• Like 1

I really love the idea of a standalone version.

Ive played WO a few times for a few months and needed to stop playing because of my rl. Finally i quit wurm because i was fed up starting all over when i got time to play games again, so the thing i was missing most from WO was a "pause" button, to be able to freeze "my world" for a few months and come back later and be able to continue where i left.

So a private server is perfect for me. Other people are nice to meet, but most of the time when i saw someone in local i was praying to myself, please let him just pass by.

I will definitly buy WU and enjoy wurm as i always dreamed to be, I will keep the skill gain ratio like it is in WO thats perfectly fine, only the necessity to log in regularily to keep the lifestock and farms in shape was the reason to quit WO.

• Like 1

Rolf is going about bringing new players to WO the wrong way with this, but as an offering on its own it's not a bad idea. As someone who hasn't played WO in years, WU is a lot more interesting to me. One-time purchase to get my friends (who refuse to pay monthly fees) to play Wurm? Deal. We'll throw a box together and get to work.

The takeaway here is we're a totally different crowd than your average WO player and I think that's what you're going to see. Live numbers will drop a little, but then people who want more will find out about WO and the awesome stuff going on there. Personally, my friends and I preferred the hermit life and I think for people like me this will be the better option.

Edited by FlakAttack
  • Like 1

Good thing they put in full ability to change leveling speeds! :D

Edited by Uberknot

Uber thats the only thing i will change. Faster action timers and i will love it XD

• Like 1

This is AWESOME news!  I can't wait to host my own server, with my own terrain and rules set.

• Like 1

This is AWESOME news!  I can't wait to host my own server, with my own terrain and rules set.

Rules will be easy to change (apparently), but the terrain is pre-made. There are some players preparing to work on that if they can, but we won't know what they can do until it comes out and we can see the code.

This is going to kill the game, is there no better alternative? 

If you give everything on a silver platter to people in one go they get bored and leave.

Surely there must be another way, could you at least try advertising wurmonline as an MMO on steam first.

• Like 1