Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

Will we be able to mod the game? Add new items etc?

If this steam has the same server back end as other similar private server game then yes.

It depends what engine the server uses and how much access to the server files and server DB y8u are allowed.

Take LiF:YO a very moddable game, with some player modding it to add ships and even a few hacked server were running that you did not have to buy the game to play.

Steam is the way to go if planning on phasing out wurmonline...

If not then the message should have link to future plans of Wurmonline...

Hopefully we hear about Rolf's plans for Wurmonline...

as for Wurmunlimited, it will/should attract new players to the game and should help improve it.

I am sorry but with the new steam refunds system this game will fall flat on it arse, Just my opinion. I hope you rethink this through as people have invested a lot of money into this game for you to-do this.

• Like 1

One can only imagine

"HEY GUYS IT'S BASHUR AND TODAY WE'RE REVISITING WURMONLINE"  

:(

What on earth are you on about?

I quickly notice you dont use reddit.

You are in the hot section, it shows topics that had comments VERY recently, ya know, discussed right now.

You want to be in the high scoring section.

And in the high scoring section there is categories...

Past hour, past 24h, past week, past month, past year, all time....

Here is r/games the past 24h.... https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/top/?sort=top&t=day

Notice the top one having 3876 likes?

Wurm has 172... and its not #4.

also r/gaming is the main gaming board that most people subscribe to... https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/top/?sort=top&t=day

just sayin.

I am sorry but with the new steam refunds system this game will fall flat on it arse, Just my opinion. I hope you rethink this through as people have invested a lot of money into this game for you to-do this.

He is not closing Wurm Online... He's releasing a single player and/or private server version of the online game.

Just don't sell to Microsoft...anyone but Microsoft.... or EA... or Activision.. you get the idea.. 

• Like 2

Great move for the game, many small groups, clans and guilds have long wanted to run their own servers.

WO's problem with retention is so much have a steep learning curve, but a very cliquey community, and a very small, very toxic part to it, which discourages and repels new players, this may help with that.

I think very few existing players would leave, but some new players will certainly migrate from WU to WO. So it seems fairly low risk to me, you'll make money from the sale, and hopefully net out in front on the WO players.

• Like 3

I like the idea. I just wish there was a way to make a copy of my online character.

I just bought Life is Feudal thinking it could scratch that Wurm online itch, but it's way too far out from being there.

I hope the first thing someone does is make a mod to put back starving. My son tried Wurm online and said it was too hard. He doesn't know hard until he's played back when the free food ran out and you started starving. Now he would just wait until he fasted.

I play Ark Survival right now and it's way too easy. My biggest complaint about these sandbox games now days is the instabuild. I like gathering wood to make boards to add one at a time to a wall sections. Now you just collect wood, make a wall section in your inventory and place a finished wall section that just magically poofs into the game world.

Anyway, a huge thumbs up from me. I'd pay for alpha/beta access right now if I could. (hint).

This is the end of wurm   ....

no more premium players  

easy skill 

private server 

the end ...

In the end Wurm will be the longest alpha / kickstarter game I ever played.

• Like 3

The only reason i wasn't happy reading about this. I had a thought last april when i got my bonus, to ask Rolf to make me a small island server . I had 2k bonus. but instead i did what i do every yr and pre pay a yr on my main, and a yr on main deed upkeep. buy silvers and new tools.  and an xbox one.    so i thought i'd ask next yr.  never thought he'd really do it though lol, just a dream.

but now reading this. it's really what i want. for my son and I to play on, I know i won't leave wurm's real servers with my main. but i do know i won't activate my 3 priests and 2 med character alts.

thinking it can be a ton of fun for us older players to bring in our friends to play on a fast leveling server ect... and then after they like the game we can draft them over to the live servers.

i thought i read 2k x 2k island server map. which i thought was challange servers,  nice size i think.

can't wait,  wondering how well it would work on laptops well being smaller and not online.  can take it to work with me ;-)

• Like 1

i thought i read 2k x 2k island server map. which i thought was challange servers,  nice size i think.

I think that is the same size of all the smaller server like Deliverance, Exodus..etc

The only reason i wasn't happy reading about this. I had a thought last april when i got my bonus, to ask Rolf to make me a small island server . I had 2k bonus. but instead i did what i do every yr and pre pay a yr on my main, and a yr on main deed upkeep. buy silvers and new tools.  and an xbox one.    so i thought i'd ask next yr.  never thought he'd really do it though lol, just a dream.

but now reading this. it's really what i want. for my son and I to play on, I know i won't leave wurm's real servers with my main. but i do know i won't activate my 3 priests and 2 med character alts.

thinking it can be a ton of fun for us older players to bring in our friends to play on a fast leveling server ect... and then after they like the game we can draft them over to the live servers.

can't wait,  wondering how well it would work on laptops well being smaller and not online.  can take it to work with me ;-)

• Like 4

I think this is by far the worst idea I have ever seen... just release it on steam. Don't release a separate version like this. 

Rolf, I think this is a fantastic idea and I'm super excited!

I will just quote what I said in the announcement thread:

I know this might be an unpopular opinion but personally I think this is GREAT! Thank you Devs for bringing this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the people who want to be part of a community already are a part of it, and will stay a part of it, but the people who want to play as hermits already do so as well. This doesn't change anything other than providing yet another option for those who want one.

Personally, I'd LOVE to have my own tiny server where I could do massive projects with only my partner, without interference or having other deeds in the way. We'd love to shape a small private server to be exactly what we want it to be, and this sounds like we finally get a chance to do that.

That doesn't mean we would disappear from the "online" part of it, because we've made some amazing friends in this game, but now there's just an extra option which is always fantastic.

So once again, thank you so much Devs and I'm looking forward eagerly to this new release!

I also wanted to add that I can't believe all the negativity around this, all the people screaming "doomsday!" without even knowing how this will affect WO. Rolf, you have a lot of patience to deal with all the negativity, but know that not everyone thinks like that -- a lot of us are very positive when it comes to this new project, and a lot of us really appreciate this.

So like I said, I think it's a great idea and I'm really looking forward to WU!

EDIT: Anti-butthurt edit

This can only help wurm.

Edited by FranktheTank

So upon reading the announcement today I have to say that i was pretty floored.  Mind you not that this is something that is bad but just I never figured ROLF would get here.  But as soon as my mind settled down from pretty much a broadside to my concept of wurm and how it is the questions came flooding in.  SO I talked to alliance people and chat and here are some questions I have which may be relevant or not.

(1) Since people can make their own servers is there going to be server hosting?

(2) If there is going to be server hosting will it be a cost assosicated that Codeclub charges or we just find our own?

(3) Will there be a public list of all wurm server and will they be password protected if we need it?

(4) What kind of population limit will the servers have?

(5) In these servers with the population are we still dealing with the concept of deeds and protected land or is it just all land now that you settle?

(6) Will there be an ability to ban people that get out of hand?

(7) Will Codeclub still be pushing out updates and will they be free or cost?

(8) Will we be able to clone our current characters from wurm and use them on the servers?

(9) IF it is an option will cross server pvp raids be allowed?

(10) Will there be support chat or services for setting up the servers and technical assistance?

(11) Because we have creative mode advertised exactly how much does that cover as in just general landscape and buildings or can we design server with lands waters and the whole 9 yards?

(12) With this influx of players have u talked to NOTCH yet about his success doing this same thing and how he made it all work. ( ok im being a bit silly but I dont think its a bad idea to be honest).

(13) Due to the fact that your going from a monthly fee based model to a one time purchase model are there any plans to move wurm to a regular 3d engine providing financing allows and sales being good?

(14) With the move if population shrink on the main wurm server will their be a consolidation of servers?

(15) Will we be able to set skill gain levels on private servers in adventure mode or will that only be in creative mode?

Ok I can sit here for hours and think of more but some more critical questions are the following.

(1) ARE YOU  going to have a live video convesation with ROLF explaning his vision of this his plan for wurm since this changes the whole landscape?

(2) Are we going to have a live chat Q and A session with the Dev team and ask some tough questions?

(3)  Are we going to allow open source modifications and MODS to be allowed on private servers since it does not affect the main cluster?

I will wait for these then follow up but let it be know.. I LOVE WURM

Mind you this is kind of like being thrown out of a  plane with  a parachute making skill of 1 and being given the silk and strings and told GOOD LUCK NOOBIE trying to make a parachute before the ground and I do the death kiss.

Y'should edit your post to blank, puncher, and cutpaste the contents to the FAQ thread.

Good questions in there.