Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

Rules will be easy to change (apparently), but the terrain is pre-made. There are some players preparing to work on that if they can, but we won't know what they can do until it comes out and we can see the code.

Maybe this is what you meant, but here's a quote from Rolf: "You may however play around with it yourself and use any maps you manage to generate by replacing them in the game directory."

Maybe this is what you meant, but here's a quote from Rolf: "You may however play around with it yourself and use any maps you manage to generate by replacing them in the game directory."

Yes, that is what I was referencing. Thanks for taking the time to find and post it.

There is a thread or two with active conversations about this and just what will be necessary to generate our own terrain. Problem is we really have almost nothing to go on but Rolf saying something along the lines of using a commercial terrain generator whose output he customizes to make a Wurm map. We don't know how Rolf does it and we don't have any code to look at, so everything is speculation at this point.

More than likly they use raw hieght maps it is common in map creation. Just like in world gen and few other map making programs out there. It is black and white maps with shades between the 2  that allow the ability of heights. I would think this is what they are using. They can also be made easy in most paint programs and saved as raw files.

It will take some coding as well more less changing some hard code numbers like size. It will not be a simple make raw file and replace the original. You will have to change size in code and more less the name of the raw file to what ever your raw file is called it is not really hard to do even for some one new to this type of stuff if you have the right teacher.

These are what Height maps look like https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=height+maps&qpvt=height+maps&qpvt=height+maps&FORM=IGRE

But Remember Rolf said the maps  coming will be 2048x2048 and for those that don't make games and these type of maps that is a huge map for a small server and a good grp of players. You don't want something like a 100k map the bigger the map the more it will cost you in power so I would recommend everyone staying with a 2048x2048 when making there own personal maps. WO maps are made for a massive amount of players at one time so keep that in mind if you do make your own personal maps in WU.

Side note not sure how Rolf has there maps but each engine to there own example in unity things are done in a power of 2 + 1 which means we have to make height maps 2049x2049 in raw data. So this is some info you will need to make sure Rolf answers when it comes to a raw height map if this is what they use.

Edited by Arkonick

Can't wait for WU. Have been wanting to start the game again since bridges/staircases were put in, but getting a sub and convincing my friends to come with me is a hassle, since we all always know we're eventually going to stop playing as we have simply too many games to stick to a subscription based one.

Will probably just be sticking with WU forever from then on, I'm not sure how WO could actually tempt me back.

It is good to see some media starting to report of this. Wurm can definitely use the exposure. And media connecting the game to the Minecraft buzzword will certainly help boost awareness even further.

• Like 1

This is going to kill the game, is there no better alternative? 

If you give everything on a silver platter to people in one go they get bored and leave.

Surely there must be another way, could you at least try advertising wurmonline as an MMO on steam first.

Actually.....My son and all his friends still play Minecraft.  Why?  because they can MOD it.

Not entirely sure what to think about this but the Idea that I can just go ahead and build my own fantasy based world thew way I want to, totally solo without burning through silver for deeds is just epic!  I would use it as a total side project to make the fantasy world I have in my brain a total reality...

And I can also continue to play with friends on Wurm Online... I can't afford to shape a whole map the way I want to xD

• Like 1

What? That article says nothing about the options to customize WU that Wurm plans to included. GM mode, speeding up action timers, faster skill gain, amongst others is a big deal. I would post a comment on that article but I don't have nor want to make an account on RPS.

Rolf Said if you read his post they have nothing  at the moment to support Moding and that it's something they will look into. For those of us who can code and read code we can. Rolf isn't against the moding community moding WU versions. In fact if I remember correctly Rolf even said something about if some mods where very cool they would talk to said moders and look into maybe adding them in the WO version. You should read Rolfs post to get a clear picture on what WU means.

Rolf Said if you read his post they have nothing  at the moment to support Moding and that it's something they will look into. For those of us who can code and read code we can. Rolf isn't against the moding community moding WU versions. In fact if I remember correctly Rolf even said something about if some mods where very cool they would talk to said moders and look into maybe adding them in the WO version. You should read Rolfs post to get a clear picture on what WU means.

quote from the email sent to me...

In both modes you can set your player to become a Game Master with the possibility to instantly create items, summon creatures, build and terraform faster in order to create the experience you want for other players or just fool around with the features. You can also copy the whole game directory of any mode and create own, custom modes. You will be able to tweak variables such as initial skill values, skill gain rate, action timers and max number of creatures.

Modding wont' be needed to change these things.

in contrast..

If I want to push fish in FSB, add UO's -- Mark, Recal, and Runebook system, fix farming so time all time spent doing farming tasks increases yield equally, add every plant in the game to be a farmable item, fix vehicles so they easily go parallel with the road, add a mini-map...yada yada all of those need modding.

-1 If this goes down....  Like i think it will, I will quit.  Peroid...

(Ok So Its Cool Afterall!! :) 

Edited by SuperFly

-1 If this goes down....  Like i think it will, I will quit.  Peroid...

Me Too! Oh wait. My subscription expired months ago. I'll Subscribe then I'll quit! Or better yet I'll buy WU, Make a character on my own server, then I'll quit!

To Rolf,

I see you started this thread so im challenging you on your decision to release this this new version. It's a huge mistake on your part! You have destroyed your online MMO game but i have the feeling you and your dev team knew this would happen a year ago when you guys was in the works of this new Wurm Unlimited. The game is yours of course but you didn't care about those who supported you all this time now did you? THE PLAYERS is what should have mattered! It was a huge mistake.

Thinking back on it now this is why your GMs have been relaxed on the rule violations and game changes ect ect. They knew as you knew that this would be the end of the online version. I read somewhere you said that the online servers will not go down for the online version. Do you own these servers? Are you leasing them? Because everything has a cost so tell us how do you plan to maintain the cost to run the multiple servers you have for the online game when in fact the player base will sharply decline and may stay declined once Wurm Unlimited release in full action.

I feel your gonna be forced to choose on raising the price of membership again or cut servers out! How you going to maintain it? When are you and your team going to come back and put the time in to fix all the many bugs that the online version still has? What about the banned players, cheaters that plague the online version when will you and your team finally come up with a security measure that protects against the players who have been banned 50 times and find a way to come back anyways! I think its great your releasing the game as a buy out option on steam where we will have smaller full version of the game. I hope it is a none subscription format. One time fee appeals to me and many others who plan to leave will buy it one time fee and never have to worry about being plagued with change again or an increase to subscription fees on a dishonest pretense to enhance the game! 

However its going to hurt your over all online game and you can't deny that! Really you can;'t deny you kept all this in the dark because you was afraid of peoples reactions just like your seeing now. Many are really upset with you for this myself included and heck im not even playing anymore i sold my stuff out over two months ago but im still upset because i was fan of the online game.  Im upset for all the people who are stuck with toons they worked for years and investments they made. Now with your release of a new version of the game. You just took from all these people what they worked so hard to build up, you destroyed there worth, the value of those toons and players labor. The ingame economy  was dead and is now for sure dead on your online version, this release has now for sure destroyed the game. How you going to save it? How will you get people to trust you again? You kept it a secret from the player base about this new version. You may not have lied but you surely deceived us all when you said the reason you was raising the subscription prices was to enhance the game you never said it was to develop an entirely new version of the game. For that reason alone many will not forget this and are upset with you! All you did was make a new copy of wurm stuck it on a trending market aka Steam and hoping to grab cash not to mention you degraded wurm and made it for sure more like mine craft!

By the way what kind of legality issues you going to have with Mine Craft, because if it becomes very similar to mine craft i would think you would have some legal issues there sooner or later. What set wurm apart from mine craft was there was no creative mode! The fact there was a real viable economy. A sense of real ownership! You took that all away with your new and cheaper version of wurm with a creative mode. This is a huge mistake rolf. You should have release a demo version of the game at a much smaller scale on steam to ride out the trend and to market your online version. Not a complete game itself. I employ you to change it, back out your deal or arrangements to release this wurm unlimited and change it to a demo for marketing purposes. If you do this, if you release wurm unlimited. You have killed your own online game. People will flock off of it unlike you seen and the game will be damaged to a point it won't be reversible.

Don't make the same stupid mistakes that the designer of playtechtonics made with star-port. That game is now worthless to play and wurm will become just like that if you do this. He like you decided that his game was not worth saving because of all the exploits and for years he been in development of anew version in the hopes to revitalize the game. His game fallen so far down hill that he has a hard time even selling tokens the equivalent of you silver and gold ingame currency.  His game full of cheaters and hackers and those that would exploit the game. Your time, your team time should have been 100% invested in the online version not a new version of the game. I feel let down as a player. i feel you let us all down and for what? Money? New Game? What was your reason for this? Marketing? Marketing can be done a thousand if not ten thousand different ways without the need to abandon the original project to release a newer version. It's my opinion love it or hate it a lot what i said is the truth and your making a huge mistake in this release of wurm unlimited!

Edited by Yamuliss

Yamuliss, that was a rambling, incoherent mess. Even when I could follow you everything you said was inaccurate, backed by no facts at all, or even just plain wrong.

Wurm Unlimited and Wurm Online are based on the same gameplay, but offer it in substantially different ways. Wurm Online is tapping into the market for people willing to pay monthly fees to get active administration, a large community, and stable (and long-lasting) servers. Wurm Unlimited is tapping the market for people who want a private server to live on by their own rules, or are willing to sacrifice some stability/community/etc for not having to pay a monthly fee. These are generally very different markets and the smart business decision is to tap both of them if possible.

Code Club is offering the game as both a product AND a service. It's a good idea and similar things have worked for other types of software: Unity (game-development) is extremely successful and for those not buying into the service they're giving the product away for free. I'm sure Code Club and Wurm will survive.

• Like 6

Yamuliss, LOL! heck of a rant there.......don't worry since you don't play anymore it won't effect you.....And when you do come back because you will....you'll find out there are more players playing Wurm on both versions.

It's my opinion love it or hate it a lot what i said is the truth and your making a huge mistake in this release of wurm unlimited!

Dude. You already quit the game. What you gonna do, pretend rage quit?  :rolleyes:

Oh, and then you say you'll give Rolf more money and buy WU. Guess you told him. 

Edited by Clatius

Me Too! Oh wait. My subscription expired months ago. I'll Subscribe then I'll quit! Or better yet I'll buy WU, Make a character on my own server, then I'll quit!

Please, post screenshots of your ranting in your very own single player kchat, at least 10 lines , ty

Please, post screenshots of your ranting in your very own single player kchat, at least 10 lines , ty

Don't worry. I'll log in as an alt on my solo private server to see what people say. :)

In all seriousness the interest in trying my hand in a solo world piqued my interest in Wurm again and I actually reactivated my account. My first and consistent reaction after a few hours was "Wow, there really is no where untouched by player building expansion." On the Celebration server, it appeared that every area I could get to in a reasonable amount of time was already over developed. 

I think what entices me the most about the idea of playing solo is the feeling of being in a completely empty and untouched world. Stranded, with only a few tools to survive. No possibilities of a friendly stranger to help me out with a few resources. A true survival game. None of the others (Stranded Deep, Ark, LiF, The Forrest, Minecraft) can even come close.

To me WU will be a completely different game genre. A survival game like no other. I play them as well as play Wurn online. I doubt if there is one person here that can truly say that they only play Wurn Online and no other game, ever. I like survival games too. So if I feel like playing a survival game today why not give Code Club my money and support a company that also develops the other game I like, Wurm Online.

• Like 2

On the Celebration server, it appeared that every area I could get to in a reasonable amount of time was already over developed. 

Pristine, Release and Exodus are probably the most over developed servers. Urban jungles is what I would call them. Celebration and Deliverance still have areas never developed. Probably because those areas are more robust. Indy is well developed but most of it is ruins. You have to have a bulldozer to get anything done. Because Xanadu is so large the inland areas truly are inland, meaning far from any water and vast in WURM terms. 

Pristine, Release and Exodus are probably the most over developed servers. Urban jungles is what I would call them. Celebration and Deliverance still have areas never developed. Probably because those areas are more robust. Indy is well developed but most of it is ruins. You have to have a bulldozer to get anything done. Because Xanadu is so large the inland areas truly are inland, meaning far from any water and vast in WURM terms. 

Well, that's rather disappointing. My plan was to build a boat and travel to Exodus because Celebration seemed overdeveloped. The maps on wurmpedia made it seem Exodus still had quite a few open spaces. I guess the grass isn't any greener no matter where you go.

Sorry to whoever's back yard I parked in. I had only planned to build a boat, re-plant trees and be on my way.  

I think what entices me the most about the idea of playing solo is the feeling of being in a completely empty and untouched world.

That's what I thought at first. Then I imagined playing WO without Alliance chat, without Global chat, no other people's houses around, no sounds of people working in the distance when you are traveling, no ruins, no roads, e.g no life, past, present or distant, and it made me sad.

The best of both worlds IMO would be for Rolf to release a WO no-grind no-gauge PvE island. I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that it will have the same effect that Trammel did on UO.

That's what I thought at first. Then I imagined playing WO without Alliance chat, without Global chat, no other people's houses around, no sounds of people working in the distance when you are traveling, no ruins, no roads, e.g no life, past, present or distant, and it made me sad.

The best of both worlds IMO would be for Rolf to release a WO no-grind no-gauge PvE island. I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that it will have the same effect that Trammel did on UO.

Adventure mode?

Edt: sorry misread, AM will be in wu. But maybe somethink like that will be in WO after that.

Edited by Velimir

You can still play both. I'm looking forward to playing Fallout 4 when it is released. That doesn't mean I can't/wont play Wurm Online Anymore. They are 2 different games. Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited will also be 2 different games. They may use the same engine and mechanics but one is a Social MMO and the other is a stand alone, Co-Op Survival.

I guess my point is I play many games and right now Survival games are trending. Code Club already has 90% of a survival game finished with Wurm Online. Just change a few minor things and they can release a semi-finished product that is way further along than games like Life is Feudal. And like many others have said, once people burn out from being lonely and bored they might move over to the more community based version of Wurm Online. And if not than that's fine. At least they made some money from a person that probably never would have tried Wurm Online anyway. 

For those people who do leave Wurm Online forever to play Wurm Unlimited, then more than likely Wurm Unlinited was/is more of the game they were looking for in the first place but had no other decent place to turn. In the end, Code Club is making money and they have a happy customer. 

• Like 4