Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

On 2/16/2016 at 7:29 PM, Enuf said:

With the new skill gains some servers 5x some 7x has anyone found any new tricks for skill gain?

I've found creation to be great for some of the smithing skills, BUT it EATS ore. Every creation is 100% a skill tick. And it's higher than the imp skill tick.

This has to do with the skill gain system in WU not being based on difficulty, unlike WO. In WO creating new items is usually not considered "difficult" so you gain a lot less skill from it.

For some tips:

Carpentry - Planks (they use 4kg of wood, but return 2kg as woodscrap and you'll need tons of them anyway)

Woodcutting - Kindling from all the woodscrap you got from planks :P

Blacksmithing - nails

Weaponsmithing - arrow head (either type)

Cloth tailoring  - cotton strings

Ropemaking - bowstrings

Chain armour smithing - armour chains

Stonecutting and masonry - whetstones... or bricks if you are planning to build from them anyway

Shipbuilding - Belaying pin

Leatherworking - Use all the crap ql leather you don't need to make leather strips (0.03 kg per), will still need to imp a lot but this makes it easier

The other skills can also be leveled with creating items, but i haven't found anything small enough to be worth it. If you spend.

Some skills you can create unfinished items and just dump them. Might be worth it for easier spamming using the creation window, but will use a ton of materials. Examples:

Coalmaking - coal piles (log+kindling)

Fine Carpentry - rope tools (plank+nail)

• Like 4

Fletching - Arrow Shafts get that BC!!!!

• Like 1

Yesterday i readed in a youtubepost there are ironstones if you botanize?

in which update are this included,. maybe i was blind to find this

Eject

It was sometime in the late winter I belive. After the last Q&A etc.

1 minute ago, Cecci said:

It was sometime in the late winter I belive. After the last Q&A etc.

Thank you for the info :D

First we found too many so it was lowered and is now more likely if low skill or something like that.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:42 AM, bdew said:

Nice tip here! Didn't know this about arrow heads. For Masonry and Stone Cutting at the same time I still find that the old WO approach of improving slabs works best. Just create 10 and start imping them. Doesn't create a lot of waste products either.

=Ayes=

i do not see the point of paying the monthly subscription for wo any more when wu get every thing for a 1 off payment 

58 minutes ago, wasntme said:

i do not see the point of paying the monthly subscription for wo any more when wu get every thing for a 1 off payment 

There are two reasons why I gladly pay for WO:

- Security

- No hassle

Security because my hard work, time and effort is not in the hands of another player, but instead with the official company and dev team. In WU, if I play on someone else's server, there is no guarantee what will happen. And if I play on my own server, then I either play alone or allow others in. Then I need to carry the heavy burden of responsibility for THEIR hard work and efforts. My game experience in WO is carefree and relaxing, no worries. 

If you don't want to pay for WO, then don't.  It's not a revelation, it's not rocket science.  Those of us who pay, do so because it provides us with value at a price we're prepared to pay; if you don't see the point, then that would suggest you're not in that group, and you'd be happier taking yourself somewhere else (WU perhaps).

Personally i play WU for the freedom, i wouldn't mind paying a sub for WO if it could allow me the same level of freedom, but alas that's not something realistic.

17 hours ago, Malena said:

Security because my hard work, time and effort is not in the hands of another player, but instead with the official company and dev team. In WU, if I play on someone else's server, there is no guarantee what will happen. 

Yes, like having a complete failure of the servers and loosing all data having to start over. :P

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, Malena said:

My game experience in WO is carefree and relaxing, no worries. 

I suppose it all depends upon your point of view. For myself I find WU to be much more relaxing and carefree with many more choices available in servers and their diversity. I play on a few of them and if one does eventually shut down I just continue on with the others. I have even quit a few of them myself when I found after some time that their play style did not suit my own desires.

Those slow skill gain and action timers more closely tied to WO's I do find a waste of my time and efforts. So frustrating to get anything accomplished with these sloooow gains on them. In these instances I would agree that WO is the much better choice in comparison and worth the extra cost for the stability, game population and interactions. Any servers under 5x-10x I quickly abandon for my foolishness to try playing on them.

=Ayes=  

The only reason I can see that anyone would want to play WO is for it's community and if you agree or can tolerate WO rules and development choices.

For me, WU is considerably better.

On 27.04.2016 at 11:42 AM, bdew said:

This has to do with the skill gain system in WU not being based on difficulty, unlike WO. In WO creating new items is usually not considered "difficult" so you gain a lot less skill from it.

For some tips:

Carpentry - Planks (they use 4kg of wood, but return 2kg as woodscrap and you'll need tons of them anyway)

Woodcutting - Kindling from all the woodscrap you got from planks :P

Blacksmithing - nails

Cloth tailoring  - cotton strings

Ropemaking - bowstrings

Chain armour smithing - armour chains

Stonecutting and masonry - whetstones... or bricks if you are planning to build from them anyway

Shipbuilding - Belaying pin

Leatherworking - Use all the crap ql leather you don't need to make leather strips (0.03 kg per), will still need to imp a lot but this makes it easier

The other skills can also be leveled with creating items, but i haven't found anything small enough to be worth it. If you spend.

Some skills you can create unfinished items and just dump them. Might be worth it for easier spamming using the creation window, but will use a ton of materials. Examples:

Coalmaking - coal piles (log+kindling)

Fine Carpentry - rope tools (plank+nail)

Lockpicks for locksmithing. :P

On 26/04/2017 at 8:27 AM, Votip said:

Lockpicks for locksmithing. :P

No!!!! :D

For locksmithing, clay key moulds is best. Sacrificing them can get you a potion here and there too

On 4/23/2017 at 7:12 PM, Ayes said:

I suppose it all depends upon your point of view. For myself I find WU to be much more relaxing and carefree with many more choices available in servers and their diversity. I play on a few of them and if one does eventually shut down I just continue on with the others. I have even quit a few of them myself when I found after some time that their play style did not suit my own desires.

Right a question: To play on a WU server, does one need to be on Steam?

The Wurm Unlimited client requires Steam.  You cannot use the WO client to connect to a WU server.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that I think you can play WU on your home pc without internet connection.
You no longer need steam after the purchase unless you want to play on a server with other.
I could be wrong
Edited by lowborn

On 11/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, lowborn said:
I just wanted to say that I think you can play WU on your home pc without internet connection.
You no longer need steam after the purchase unless you want to play on a server with other.
I could be wrong

You couldve just tried it out before posting? But yea, you're wrong

• Like 1