Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

You can still play both.

No I can't. Nothing I have listed as positives for an online experience is worth the grind and gauges of the current WO. I don't know how you imagined that given my last paragraph. Anyway, never mind.

That's what I thought at first. Then I imagined playing WO without Alliance chat, without Global chat, no other people's houses around, no sounds of people working in the distance when you are traveling, no ruins, no roads, e.g no life, past, present or distant, and it made me sad.

The best of both worlds IMO would be for Rolf to release a WO no-grind no-gauge PvE island. I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that it will have the same effect that Trammel did on UO.

The best of both worlds IMO would be for Rolf to release a WO no-grind no-gauge PvE island. I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that it will have the same effect that Trammel did on UO.

This is an interesting idea which in fact has been suggested various times in the S&I section under varying conditions. Such as a non-aggro server, a hunting server, etc. If Wurm Online would offer servers with varying conditions available exclusively to them, then they could offer a lot more variety to choose from for those who preferred various playstyles.

One server could then have faster timers and skill gain or maybe even skills that could be set to any level like WU will offer. Since Wurm Unlimited has now broken the *taboo* of the set in stone concepts of Wurm Online, I think that now opens the potential for different playstyle types of servers within Wurm Online.

=Ayes=

Sorry, but commercial trick, how to sell dying game. Can good mask engine problems for novice. Update like couldron. All separate clusters with differ skillgains are good for family game. Items cant be use widely. Quick try, set high skillgain and quick leave. Only good for custom mods.

Edited by ftoz

Sorry, but commercial trick, how to sell dying game. Can good mask engine problems for novice. Update like couldron. All separate clusters with differ skillgains are good for family game. Items cant be use widely. Quick try, set high skillgain and quick leave. Only good for custom mods.

wat

In this post and will be my last on this subject I will point out a lot of things about WO and why it has never took off and player base has been short as well as why WU will help it as a whole but will also talk about how WO version could be better if certain changes where to take place.

WURM ONLINE Plus Features:

True Sandbox. Real in depth skill system. Real close simulation building structure system. Huge open world landmass.

Down Falls for WO:

Slow fight system. Slow development of new things to mess with in game. Real world currency economy. Land cost and upkeep based on the real world dollar.

Downfalls explained slow fight system: The action timers are to slow it feels false. It in a lot of ways feels like turn based fighting.

Slow Development: Important stuff like tons of textures and wall construction types are to slow and added very slow. This gives a player to little imagination and ability to build.

Real World Currency: This is by far it's worst feature in a mmo scene. The mmo world is so use to a virtural in game economy that has never creep into there wallets for plots of land and monthly upkeep. Only a small player base would ever try and play a game with this in it which is why WO player base has always been small and caped off. This is also why when many players came to try wurm paid for premium only to find out they had to purchase land then had to pay more money each month to keep it. I can't stress how much this has keep WO in the dark.

WURM UNLIMITED Plus Features:

It's a exact copy of WO. It can be altered to suit a players play style. It can be modded faster than the development team can pump out content, Reason it goes from 5dev's and a handful of volinters to a cool hundred or more coders pumping out content. This means the development team gets a massive boost. Mods can help the development of WO. No more monthly upkeep for land mass no more having to buy a section of land out of ones pocket. It will bring back those who tried but left WO for these reasons. It will reach more players who knew of wurm and didn't.

WURM UNLIMITED cons:

Will lower some of the population on the WO servers. Will cause a percent of players to never try WO, cause when you get something for a single price and never have to pay for it you just don't leave to play the same thing and have to pay more for the same enjoyment.

What WO can do to help in some of these issues?

Like I've said in other post WO needs to charge a monthly sub which includes a section of land in the sub. 14.99 is the going mass mmo charge. If WO would say 14.99 a month will give premium and a 25x25 deed no monthly fee anything over will cost additional cost and land upkeep wurm would see a bigger audience.

WO needs to make a new cluster which is not set on the dollar but a in game earned coin only. This does not stop a player from offering a item for a real world buck in game. This in game earned coin should have value in game as a game coin not as a real world coin. This coin is used to pay upkeep on extra land and to buy extra land. and to buy items. This does not stop players from earning said coin in game and selling it for real world cash. No where does this hurt a real world currency exchange it just allows for players who seek to avoid this type of game style to avoid it and play like they have been use to in every other mmo out there and allows those who prefier it to continue to do so.

Special merchants can be created and set out in the lands that travel and sell there goods. They can sell armors like drake scale and such for a high coin value. They never set in one spot long but are in travel mode more than any thing.

Combat timers need to be decreased so action can be seen in combat and damage needs to be decreased on both sides to balance the faster swing timers. Soon as you swing and the animation is finished you should be able to swing again and no delay. Blocking needs to be implemented so it is player and mob controlled. Blocking doesn't fully block damage but it decreases it by a lot. This would help the combat blah in WO and WU. This will be one of my first things I fix in my WU client. I have nothing against turn based type fighting just not in my mmo. This is what it feels like and looks like in videos turn based.

For those who are worried about WU don't be. It will not destroy WO but help make it better and rem the moding community will be hard at work and some of this might reach WO so on the bright side WO is about to get a large Development team and testing team of features you might see in WO if Rolf likes and approves of them.

WU isn't even here and I my self have been working on the side with new wall types and staircases and making a list of things I will work on like Animal manure and grass to straw  mixed to make fertilizer which will be used to make crops give better and faster yields. to animal feeding containers and chicken houses that will collect eggs etc.. my list has over 15 things Already.

Closing words: Look at WU as a development client handed out to many coders to do projects that Rolf can then look at them all and be able to say hay that looks good and contact said moder and see if something can be worked out into adding that to WO so there work can be enjoyed by all.

If I were to briefly describe Wurm Online from an unbiased attempt at a first impression, I would have to say "A coloring book that someone already colored most of the pictures in."

Everywhere you go seems to have some construction in various stages going on. And to tell a new player "There are places open, you just have to look harder" won't work. If I were a new player (especially if I were subscribing) I wouldn't want to be told to spend the next few hours to few days running around trying to find anyplace you can settle, that isn't in someones back yard, but is near a few resources. I would say the hell with that.

And the funny thing is I have been sailing around on my boat for a few (RL) days now and I haven't been able to find anywhere along the cost to settle. And I've tried multiple servers There is construction everywhere. But what is the real kicker is I hardly ever see anyone in local chat. I think I've only seen about 7 people total in all the time of my voyage.

Also, If you are going to have market stalls and merchants (yes, a lot of abandoned market stalls in wurm) please provide better protection, as in Templars. That guard tower that's barely withing help distance just doesn't cut it. I've been searching for one merchant that has a mooring anchor the whole time I've been out here and I've had to pass by many merchants because I'm not going to sit there shouting help to kill every critter in the area before I go shopping. I still haven't found a mooring anchor yet. You would think it would be a rather common thing to sell at all these ocean-side merchants.

Anyway... yea... low skills and lack of knowledge of the game while having to wander the dangerous countryside looking for a place to call home would make for a lot of rage quits. I know what I'm doing and have a boat and I'm about the give up on this venture.

• Like 1

I am interested in what all comunity say to ROLF, when all those tricks end. But speculate, that will not be "thanks for gg"

Need to decompile first

So y will see after first release WU, maybe sooner, what will happen with community and their big thx to creator

Simple ppl spent much money in wurm and now they cant back to euros. GG ROLF!! IN YOUR LIFE COME SAME SITUATION, BUT Y WILL BE ON OTHER SIDE. Everything is in his server. Sell us useless data a wait we stop play and then ALL our kingdoms will be delete, all our wurm lifes end. And all our money in his pocket

Edited by ftoz
  • Like 1

So many horrible decisions on sandbox mmos these days, the haven and hearth 2 being a pay to play and now wu. rip rip

Simple ppl spent much money in wurm and now they cant back to euros. GG ROLF!! IN YOUR LIFE COME SAME SITUATION, BUT Y WILL BE ON OTHER SIDE. Everything is in his server. Sell us useless data a wait we stop play and then ALL our kingdoms will be delete, all our wurm lifes end. And all our money in his pocket

Why are you so bitter about?

If worst happens and WO go off business, you already got what you paid for, you played, you got fun, you make some new friends across the world. Time to move on.

If you happens to be one that dropped insane amounts of money in the game who is here to blame about but yourself?

I've payed a fair amount of money in the past to buy tickets for movies, some of those where good movies, totally worth the ticket price, a lot of it where just crap, but you do not loose any of your valuable time standing days over days on the theater door bitching about and questioning the director or the shitty actors, you just move one and hope for the best the next time.

Edited by KunAlt

• Like 2

If I were to briefly describe Wurm Online from an unbiased attempt at a first impression, I would have to say "A coloring book that someone already colored most of the pictures in."

Everywhere you go seems to have some construction in various stages going on. And to tell a new player "There are places open, you just have to look harder" won't work. If I were a new player (especially if I were subscribing) I wouldn't want to be told to spend the next few hours to few days running around trying to find anyplace you can settle, that isn't in someones back yard, but is near a few resources. I would say the hell with that.

And the funny thing is I have been sailing around on my boat for a few (RL) days now and I haven't been able to find anywhere along the cost to settle. And I've tried multiple servers There is construction everywhere. But what is the real kicker is I hardly ever see anyone in local chat. I think I've only seen about 7 people total in all the time of my voyage.

Also, If you are going to have market stalls and merchants (yes, a lot of abandoned market stalls in wurm) please provide better protection, as in Templars. That guard tower that's barely withing help distance just doesn't cut it. I've been searching for one merchant that has a mooring anchor the whole time I've been out here and I've had to pass by many merchants because I'm not going to sit there shouting help to kill every critter in the area before I go shopping. I still haven't found a mooring anchor yet. You would think it would be a rather common thing to sell at all these ocean-side merchants.

Anyway... yea... low skills and lack of knowledge of the game while having to wander the dangerous countryside looking for a place to call home would make for a lot of rage quits. I know what I'm doing and have a boat and I'm about the give up on this venture.

Sadly, I have to agree here, but to me at least it's somewhat sadder than that: yes there's construction / deeds, but more often than not there's no PEOPLE. No one to talk to, no one to ask about where to find places etc. Friendly or unfriendly, in an online game players ARE content, and if you can't find other players why are you playing online?

The servers have just gotten too big with not enough people to populate them, at least in my experience, and especially with travel speed being so slow compared to the ever-increasing distances involved...yuck.

And all that's assuming you don't get yourself killed on a server you're trying to just pass through and then end up without your stuff in a starting town with very little idea of how to get to or find your corpse. Maybe an interesting story/adventure but it's nerve wracking and just feels forced.

And as to finding a mooring anchor...I wish I could at least say "Oh hey if you're by XYZ I can get you one" but I haven't been an active player in almost a year. So if you found the deed...it'd just be one more set of stuff in various states of construction...and at least when I was active, it was just kinda assumed that such an anchor came with the boat X(

Edited by WalkerInTheVoid

This is why most games block RMT.

People start to believe they are a vested interest or own digital assets. He didn't SELL you anything other than a service.

So funny.

Read the EULA.

Edited by Trake
  • Like 1

will y sell also commented current WO client? Or standalone text box with crafting system?

Why are you so bitter about?

If worst happens and WO go off business, you already got what you paid for, you played, you got fun, you make some new friends across the world. Time to move on.

I like this. Agreed.

Just don't know where to move to. WO kind of worked exactly the way I wanted, and was an actual, long term grind adventure. If you know of anything that can replace it in the long term (5+ years) then PM me, I am all ears. Everything else kind of sucks.

Another thing where the community, not WU, could kill off WO.  Rolf's kept himself from earning good money over the years allowing the sale of silver among players, to the point where now many features are unlikely to be added because some folks think that Wurm is an investment designed to yield rl profits as opposed to an MMO.   Those people are gonna get badly burned the day they switch to another game and start flaunting THAT attitude around.

That's what we have been saying in our 'buy char' threads forever. Some people come to a GAME, forgetting it's a game, make it their lives, invest in it, and expect the stability of a goddamn reserve bank... Again, filtering out these players, is a good thing, so we can get back to playing a game, and dealing less with wannabe pseudo investors.

• Like 1

Another thing where the community, not WU, could kill off WO.  Rolf's kept himself from earning good money over the years allowing the sale of silver among players, to the point where now many features are unlikely to be added because some folks think that Wurm is an investment designed to yield rl profits as opposed to an MMO.   Those people are gonna get badly burned the day they switch to another game and start flaunting THAT attitude around.

right, quick earn get him lazy and lazy start to stop develop. Same as for all of us in game.

Edited by ftoz

I like this. Agreed.

Just don't know where to move to. WO kind of worked exactly the way I wanted, and was an actual, long term grind adventure. If you know of anything that can replace it in the long term (5+ years) then PM me, I am all ears. Everything else kind of sucks.

Sorry bud, there just ain't nothing like it. I've been looking for something that feels even close for the last ~6 years. You might be able to get close with single player with Dwarf Fortress but that's about it that touches near to this game's depth.

• Like 1

Sadly, I have to agree here, but to me at least it's somewhat sadder than that: yes there's construction / deeds, but more often than not there's no PEOPLE. No one to talk to, no one to ask about where to find places etc. Friendly or unfriendly, in an online game players ARE content, and if you can't find other players why are you playing online?

The servers have just gotten too big with not enough people to populate them, at least in my experience, and especially with travel speed being so slow compared to the ever-increasing distances involved...yuck.

And all that's assuming you don't get yourself killed on a server you're trying to just pass through and then end up without your stuff in a starting town with very little idea of how to get to or find your corpse. Maybe an interesting story/adventure but it's nerve wracking and just feels forced.

And as to finding a mooring anchor...I wish I could at least say "Oh hey if you're by XYZ I can get you one" but I haven't been an active player in almost a year. So if you found the deed...it'd just be one more set of stuff in various states of construction...and at least when I was active, it was just kinda assumed that such an anchor came with the boat X(

I did eventually "settle" for a place that is basically only half build-able on. The rest is rock. There's construction on both sides of me and I'm fairly sure above me on the top of the cliff. I've been here 2 days now and I've only seen one person briefly in chat. Not that I mind much, I'm more of the solo hermit player. But I see no signs of a community. I never did find an anchor. I just had to drag my boat up on land.

I've been playing Wurn on and off for a long time. This character /playtime says I entered the portal to Wurm on Wrath day, week 2 of the snakes starfall 989. That's 2667 Days and 5 Minutes ago. But it also says I've only played for 61 Day, 18 Hours and 15 Minutes. LOL

I'm excited to see Wurm Unlimited Come out. I think it's an excellent idea and business move. At least in my on and off play style I won't have to start all over again every time I decide to play. I only wish I could get in on a beta now. 

• Like 3