Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

I won't use STEAM, I have had to in the past for Skyrim and I hated STEAM, I won't use it for another game ever. If that means I will never play a new game then so be it.

As for the concept of Wurm allowing private servers... several people over the years have asked for this and frankly if the private server owners work hand in hand with Rolf then maybe new fixes and features might be the result.... so this idea by itself I think has potential.

But as it will be through STEAM I will never use it, so for me this new Wurm Unlimited does not exist as far as I am concerned. Just like character and account buying and selling never existed as far as I am concerned. To me my Account is worth today exactly what it was worth yesterday or two years ago.

I may not agree on all aspects with Rolf on this, but I do not wish him ill because of it. I wish Rolf success in his new venture.

I am seriously afraid that wurm won't be able to hold off all the new scriptkiddos that are going to play this game.. but time will tell i guess.

• Like 1

I have played Wurm on and off for more years than i care to admit and too me this has gave me an uneasy feeling in my gut, I am sure i have just heard the final nail being hammered in the coffin.

This is really bad way to expand wurm, going down the road of the rest of sandbox games like us.

This should have been thought through with the community, we have supported the game for years and should have some kind of input, just my opinion.

Now for the idea, its not bad but personally to make this work and benefit wurm I would have personally liked to have seen it played out a little like this.

• Do not allow admin powers (Ruins the fun of the freedom of wurm)
  • Plugins? hell no, welcoming hackers, bugs and all sorts of problems.
  • No wurm trading cards...
  • No wurm steam purchases...

Admins in most games are greifers, that's what made me love wurm online, your professionally run buy real admins that everyone knows and nothing can go wrong (oh look your house has been deleted after 5 months of construction, sorry im the admin i can do what i want its my server....)

• Implement online server rental (with wurm online) such as (buy a 10x10 map for 1000e and pay a monthly upkeep of say 30e)
  • Imagine massive companies buying a 20x20 map then paying the monthly upkeep of it (you would make a bomb to improve wurm and eventually take it to a whole new level)
  • ^ If that server is not payed for then they get a 1 month disband / rotting time to get out and move servers.
  • ^ Then that map is simply deleted from your servers.
  • ^ Servers / maps with active deeds would pay a monthly upkeep to the owner of that map (tax) which would help pay for that server eventually (real life economy?)
  • Implement a main server (wurm online) cannot be deleted and is modded by the real wurm admins etc.... when a server for example gets killed your char and stuff is moved back to a main server of choice.

This would not only bring in income to wurm but would also give you a maintenance pay + purchase shop (maps) improve overall online experience (lots of maps, lots of people, lots of markets, lots of income, those who have been here for years would benefit from it a little too as they were the reason its here in the first place, we could actually sell to the influx of new players and so on thus boosting the whole game to a new level within months...

Just releasing this version as you have is horrible, its got no future aspect and just encourages hackers, modders and general grief for all. Oh and the death of wurm.

• Implement it with your own wurm servers so people can go between servers (buyers can decide on pve or pvp servers / maps)
  • This will effect us in its current state and think it will even kill wurm online...

This is extremely disappointing and just pray to you Rolf that you rethink this before the game dies, connect it to us, let us enjoy it, let us become part of the growth and at the same time make some money so wurm can grow bigger than ever.

Also this may sound like a "give us a benefit post" but its going to actually benefit you more in the long run, more income for the business = better coding, better items, better graphics and eventually the best sandbox game ever of this scale with a stable nice income for all, just imagine how far it could go with the small points above with servers (if your really going down that road....)

Regards

Edited by Soardad
  • Like 2

I just want to state this publically - this is NOT the reason I'm not on the team anymore.

• Like 18

Hehe..

Wurm tries to copy Minecraft. Good or bad, only time will tell.

Welcome to Wurm Offline.

What a sad day.

As for the concept of Wurm allowing private servers... several people over the years have asked for this 

First rule of succesful game development is: never give "several people" what they have asked for.

• Like 3

I just want to state this publically - this is NOT the reason I'm not on the team anymore.

So I see... the fact you are no longer on the team is interesting and troubling in and of itself, no matter what the reason.

Welcome to Wurm Offline.

What a sad day.

First rule of succesful game development is: never give "several people" what they have asked for.

We don't agree on much Cista, so let us not get started. I see things differently than you and always will.

Edited by geode

This is relly not good, I dont understand this move, other then mony.

I am sure that lot of the old wurmis dont like this, I am not that old in wurm, 2 years on pvp alot longer on pve.

I relly dont think this will work, the bad thing is, it is already done, so I gess there is no stopping it now...

This worry me alot, I relly dont like that wurm stop being wurm, and wurm is that there os only two worlds, pve and pvp, and all the servers on pvp and pve is one world you can travel between.

Now wurm just become a nother crafting survivel game like the others out there, small serveres, with bad admins, hackers, GM's there use there power to get better then the other players, month of server jobs to try to find a server there work for you.

Hehe..

Wurm tries to copy Minecraft. Good or bad, only time will tell.

I will say bad, relly relly bad!

glad I ran out of reprem and didnt feel like paying again... this is the biggest piece of update ive seen...

Rolf what the are you doing?

• Like 1

Its a high risk move. Wurm will certainly be changed for ever, for good or for worse though?

i like the idea :) relaxe people and see what will happen. Rolf big Thumbs up!

cheers Bier

I kinda think this is a great step Rolf, and i think you nay sayers should take a moment and think about it

I think it will increase Official server player base while offering a fun creative mode we can keep our world saved in unlike the test server, i feel this is really getting wurm out there and add more playability , now we will have a few more clients open playing around in creative, while we grind on official x)

what i am most excited about i guess is the sheer amount of people who will start fixing small things, writing mods , texture packs, expanding the game adding new items and all that cool crazy stuff, which will only benefit the game in the end, you being able to see

we will see a few flavors of challenge rehashed on a dedicated server for sure,

but honestly and truely the best part i think is the offical servers its one of the things that alot of these survival exploration games dont have, it is the life to fall back on with a huge great community already in place, 

and guys this is the important part, wurm gets to benefit from steam sales and community, while simultaneously protecting our core game that we love and not having to change all legal things with the shop and premium and selling silver and all that kind of important stuff that keeps wurm amazing, cause you know steam takes a % and if you suddenly put the real wurm online on steam then it could surely suffer.

we really have only to benefit from this :),

Copied from the other thread, cause this was discussion x)

• Like 2

oh and btw guys learn to read!

Wurm Unlimited is your full !!!!standalone version!!!! of the fantasy sandbox world Wurm Online, the MMORPG where the players are in charge! â€‹

what i am most excited about i guess is the sheer amount of people who will start fixing small things, writing mods , texture packs, expanding the game adding new items and all that cool crazy stuff, which will only benefit the game in the end, you being able to see