Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

General Discussion

Are you worried that this will be used to find potential exploits and bugs which will create issues in the real world of wurm?

Are you worried that these servers will be used as a testing ground for new, better hacks (map hacks, macros and the like)?

Are you worried that this may split up the existing player base further?

• Like 1

I can understand the reasons for this move, but hopefully this does not mean the official servers will become abandoned, desolate wastelands.

Are there any plans to incentivize people to actually transition to the "original" servers like Xanadu at some point?

"I can have gm powers wurm unlimited, basically single-player wurm online, to create whatever I want almost instantly.  For what reason would I play wurm online then?"

It's going to take me awhile to come up with an answer for this.

• Like 1

Can we just introduce Wurmonline to players through steam.. there is no need for this easy mode..... 

• Like 3

Going to end up with fragmented communities I would suggest, as people move off to their own "easy mode" servers.

Also I would suggest folks... right now... your accounts just went to 5-10% of what they were worth yesterday.

• Like 5

The only thing I don't like is the idea of 'adventure mode' - we already have Freedom, Wild, Epic and Challenge - to me it sounds like it will just further divide the player base.

I am 100% for steam integration and creative mode is probably what we need if we want to appeal to the masses of people who play games like Minecraft and want instant/fast gratification.

Whatever happens, please make sure that the Steam version of the game is capable of connecting to the current live servers.

• Like 2

make this standalone thing for freedom and lets get this game back on the pvp track like it was supposed to be.

• Like 1

So basically this is Wurm without the unique experience that has keep some of us around for years. Yes we complain about the grind but secretly we love it, that's why we're still here. So whats going to happen when these players from unlimited,

that has shown them that Wurm is like minecraft, join the real Wurm and realize they have to work for weeks to get that 50 mining they got on day one. In my view this is the beginning of the end.

• Like 2

You think we're bad. Steam people will rip this game to shreds. 

• Like 2

2 things to say to you Rolf:

Congratulations on your new business venture. I sincerely wish you the best.

To the rest of you. It have been a good ride Indy!

854ec206f0.png

To be honest, this will last for a month or two, maybe less.

Like Reign of Kings, Rust, Tree of Life, and yes.. Life is Feudal etc etc

They all run their course and die out quick.

Which is sad, you mention you can be a GM on your own server in single player in a creative mode.. alright cool yeah, well.. whats the point of people playing the other mode when it takes years to grind up skills and hours on hours to actually /play/ the game?

See.. me personally, I'd go play Single Player in 'Adventure' mode and be like, man.. this is taking forever to make a house/dirtwall (if dirtwalls are even needed anymore).. so I just go to creative and build the thing in 2 minutes and I'm like.. Wow, that was cool.  *turns off game*

Also, I saw that 'Adventure' Mode was something sort of fighting between kingdoms and leading your own or something.

How does that work with NPCs?

If it's single player, how do you get NPCs to go raid another settlement, do an open PvP engagement, how do you get NPCs onto boats to fight said other NPCs?

Allowing people to host their own servers is going to just split the community up even more.

Sure, it will probably bring in a lot of people.

But these servers that we play on right now have a max of what, 6,700 players?  1,600 of that being Epic alone.

How much of that is actually used?  Lol, at most.. 1/8th.

Goal to become a Valrei god?  That's sort of spitting in /everyone's/ face on Epic that has been doing missions for the past few years that they've been out and only 3 have gotten it.

I persoanlly know people that have well over 200k karma, probably more, and they still have no Demigod status.

And you're allowing people to change the rates of skill gain and other stuff I assume, yeah?

So basically, everyone is going to have crazy high skill gains set on their server.. and it'll be just like Challenge.

Wow that's fun.  We all know how Challenge ended up after the first one.

Dead.  And laughed at.  Sad.

This all just seems like a bad idea.

But hey, I'm not marketing major or game creator/dev.

Just a confused gamer of the same game for the past 5 years now.

I don't see how this at all will be the same Wurm that I log on every day to when this is released.

You're taking away new comers to the actual.. I assume Offical Wurm servers. 

Why play here when you have say, triple, quadruple the skill gain on a random server?

And you can make your own private server and play alone.. and build some awesome castle that.. nobody will ever live in.

It's about the community Rolf and I hope what you have planned goes right and I hope that it has the original Wurm players in mind.. because right now, it doesn't seem like it at all.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 5

TS3

PW: savewurm

Lets discuss ppl

25 People in Here already Discussing Wurmageddon...

Edited by Karellean

Private servers... i'm actually pretty interested. Just wish it had nothing to do with steam, as I am not a fan of the service.

• Like 2

A few questions!

Will you allow people to monetize their private servers?

Can people opt-in to test features and ideas before they are rolled to Live?

Will the local servers be scaled down, or will any features of current live servers be held back?

Will there be any linking between private servers and live servers? I'd hope not for skills and items, but what about account names in a similar way Freedom and Epic are linked yet separate?

The problem with private servers...even if you set up the best community possible, it will whither and die with time, people quit and no new players join. The MMO aspect kept wurm alive all this time. Too bad really.

Ah will this even be THE Wurmonline in the future or will we one day see our servers close and be forced to Steam also?

Maybe I haven't really thought it out but I don't really see some of the issues people are talking about. In the first place, all the players currently playing Wurm have either worked for years to get where they are, or have started playing and enjoy the game as it is. Why would they want to go to a standalone version? The people who do start on that will mostly be new...and one of two things will happen: either they will simply minecraft it in groups with their friends like my grandkids do, or, they might get the idea that actually it's pretty cool and then decide to give the real game a try. So either...they don't come here at all....or this game gets new players.

I don't see this game imploding any time soon. People have been saying it would for years and guess what..it's still standing. The difference between this and something like Life is Feudal is that Life is Feudal never started the full world, and sold out to these small standalone servers. That meant that all the serious players simply stopped waiting. Wurm already has what it has, and for most people I think they would rather keep it than get suckered into an "instant gratification" version that really would be different.

ymmv.....my 2 yen

• Like 4

Ah will this even be THE Wurmonline in the future or will we one day see our servers close and be forced to Steam also?

Timeline:

Wurm Unlimited released.

New players try out the small servers with small groups of friends (minecraft style) with insane skillgain and never get interest in the real servers and quit once they are "done" achieving what they want.

Wurms various issues makes steam players rip it apart in the review section, causing a lot of negative PR. (steam players love memory leaks, bugs and graphical glitches)

Main servers start to die out and the various hackers who could develop their hacks in a perfect test enviroment start to cause problems.

Main servers arent profitable enough and start shutting down 1 by 1 untill only self-hosted servers excist and perhaps one real server.

Wurm dies.

RIP.

Edited by Zekezor