Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

How does it work with map generation? Can we create our own maps or is it select from a pre-generated map selection? Or is it randomly generated?

• Like 1

Are you planning to close any of the official servers? And what would be the initial cost of WU on steam?

How will the initial map be created? Will we be able to design it from scratch or set preferences for it?

• Like 1

Is it going to be possible to customize maps in creative and then upload the map to an online server for people to play on?

• Like 1

steam trading cards?

new term for new people steamers

achievements?

trading for steam credit?

serious question those things as really is it just going to be just a different version of wurm or are we actually going to get steam specific things as well?

There are Steam Trading cards. We haven't coded achievements yet, and don't know if we'll be able to have them for release. No plans for involvement in Steam credits.

• Like 2

Rolf there are a bunch of players that are scared of change but this is going to be good for you and the game i think in the end. Don't get discouraged and good luck with it.

I will be for sure checking it out on the 21st  :)

• Like 9

Rolf there are a bunch of players that are scared of change but this is going to be good for you and the game i think in the end. Don't get discouraged and good luck with it.

I will be for sure checking it out on the 21st   :)

Same here! Just make sure the MMO benefits from the WU sales too in some way or another. Can't really go wrong with an approach like that.

Maybe the MMO will eventually get a Steam version too. But until then... :)

Edited by syncaidius

So the wurm online server code and the wurm ultimate code is different?

Will there be a monthly fee for this aswell?

There are Steam Trading cards. We haven't coded achievements yet, and don't know if we'll be able to have them for release. No plans for involvement in Steam credits.

well hope the cards will be nice ones and not generic ones like "killed a wolf" 

1. What incentives are you going to use to try to get people to play the MMO over the standalone version? 

In this new steam version will we get to have different maps or is it all the same map and how big is the maps there

Congratulations on getting through what was likely a tough and weighty decision and likely a difficult development cycle. Here are the questions that first came to my mind:

First: adding Unlimited would seem to expand Wurm toward market segments who appreciate isolated, low player-count style play over large population, less sharded play and who are already served by well-funded, active competitors. And, as development capacity at Code Club appears to have been the primary constraint for the past twelve years, it seems this also may necessitate a move away from segments preferring higher population and higher risk gameplay. Is there any thinking you would care to share about what you want the future focus of Wurm to be and what your vision is for the kind of player and the kind of play Code Club wants to cater to in the next twelve years of Wurm?

And: in addition to the many established multiplayer games and single-player games with multiplayer modes that will directly compete for market share with Unlimited, not the least of which is Minecraft, there are many similar products in development, e.g., Life is Feudal: Your Own, 7 Days to Die, Sword Coast Legends. Any thoughts you would like to share on your vision for how new developments in Unlimited and Online will differentiate the Wurm story from those of these new competitors you're seeking out and how the Wurm brand will be decoupled or coupled to successes and failures in that new arena?

Bonus question: Plug in Digital is listed in the press release, but their involvement is not described in it; what is the scope of their part of the project (big, small, short term, long term)?
Edited by FasterDoudle
  • Like 1

How does it work with map generation? Can we create our own maps or is it select from a pre-generated map selection? Or is it randomly generated?

At the moment you won't be able to create your own maps. We will provide the two maps used in Adventure and Creative mode.

How much will it cost?

The price will be available on the Steam store page when we've finally decided it together with Plug In Digital. We seem to be fairly in agreement on where it should land.

• Like 1

So the wurm online server code and the wurm ultimate code is different?

Will there be a monthly fee for this aswell?

No this is a one time purchase on Steam.

• Like 3

At the moment you won't be able to create your own maps. We will provide the two maps used in Adventure and Creative mode.

Dont forget that we like islands on our maps :)

Hmm, interesting, and thanks for the detail.  I should have been more specific regarding costs, sorry - see below for a concrete example.

I decide to run my own server, say on a professionally hosted machine (which I organise separately with a hosting company).  Ignoring the hosting and server bandwidth costs, will I need to buy the game once or pay a monthly fee?  Will the stand-alone version only be available via Steam, or will I be able to buy (for example) a tarball or rpm from the WO/WU website?  I guess everyone who wants to play on my private server will also need to buy the client (e.g. from Steam)?

Edited to add: I guess some aspects of specific costs are still being worked out - I'm curious about charging structure more than specific 'x will cost y Euros' information.

You just run your Steam client on the hosted machine and download and install the dedicated Wurm Unlimited server. You only need to buy it once.

• Like 3

Reading thru this only makes me think this is a horrid idea. A game with a small player base like wurm does not need to be further split up into seperate games. Why is separating the game into new faster and less rewarding modes/servers always seem to be your answer for lack of advertising?

Is it possible to offer a bundle deal? For the point of getting more keys so you can introduce Wurm online thru Wurm Ultimate. It would also give a point for the new players so they can start playing together with their friends.

an other question why pair up with plug in digital in the first place?

A few questions, sorry if any have been answered while typing:

• Will there be any kind of steam network integration? eg. finding servers, joining friends, connecting to the official server etc.
  • Client and server both included together, sold separately or some other arrangement?
  • I think modding has been mentioned as being not enforced. Will it be officially supported ie. via an API, or will it be all DIY?
  • Both client and server modding?
  • Will the steam workshop be supported? Can mods be monetised?
  • Any thoughts on new sections in the forum? I can see that wurm unlimited has been added, will there be server adverts, separate tech support subforums for stand alone, mods etc.?
  • Would you be open to the idea of incorporating mods or other user content (with agreements with the modders ofc.) into the main server?

What about unique/mysterious things about Wurm that we have to discover ourselves?  Take for examples:

Sorcery.  Everything is spawnable?  Now everyone can find out and test every single last thing, test titles, abilities, you name it risk free no effort involved

Titles.  Epic suffers second class 100 skill titles just because skilling is different from Freedom (they have to have "Epic" in the title, even if suggested, so there is no room for a unique cool title).  What titles for 100 skill are on WU?  Do they get to set skills to 100 and uncover Freedoms secrets? Or Epics secrets?  Which is treated less fairly, or can Epic have the same 100 skill titles now then?  Or are 100 skill titles (or all titles?) removed from WU?

Meditation.  Now you can set to 90 skill, possibly set path level?  Set several characters, now you can find out path answers easy compared to live, vs the many months it can take a player on live to discover

I'm sure there are many other things, but this would remove the discovery/mystery aspect that draws a special uniqueness to Wurm.  Sure once it's discovered everyone knows; but it had to be discovered by the players working for it, a player put that effort in and created his lasting mark in this community/game

A very valid question. I've played as a Game Master in another game and when returning as a normal player I still got drawn into the world. That said, I didn't have the code base and was limited in certain aspects. In many games there are editors but you still play the game normal mode if it's good. There are still some unexplored things you'll have a really hard time figuring out even by having the server code, decompiling it and going through it as a programmer.

We will keep developing the online version high end stuff and not release certain mysteries in the Steam version until people have discovered and made them public. Conversely, we can enable things on Steam like flying on dragons before we release it on live.

• Like 3

Conversely, we can enable things on Steam like flying on dragons before we release it on live.

YOU PLAN TO ADD FLYING INTO WURM ONLINE?!

• Like 7