Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Oh another question regarding priests this time. 

When on WU since its a steam client, I have't tried yet with other games, as far as I know you can't start up another client with the first one running. So will priests have faith hits? Only asking since you are majority of the the wurm population have 2 characters on the current play style; a main (crafter or fighter) character and a priest character.

Or will we be able to set that up ourselves in the settings?

in some steam games (though wont know till this is released) you can actually run the game from its exe in the game folder and dont have to have steam running, so you could open multiple instances that way and just run teh steam for patches. That being said there are games that wont allow you to run them from teh exe so maybe not? we really wont know till it is on our computers and we can test it.

Would it be possible to get release versions of current maps availabe as either downloads or even potentially DLC? Some of the current server maps look amazing and I think would be fun to play on fresh version of them. Maybe not PVP maps, but I cant think of a reason that Freedom maps couldn't be ported, unless there isn't an early enough backup/dump.

this would not be a good idea as people could find the best quality ores then go mine them on the server

I just learned of WU on Steam and am very excited about it. I read all of Rolf's responses in this thread and have been left with one question.

1. Rolf, you mentioned that the cheat detection system is being left out of the WU servers to keep WO from being hacked, etc... I understand this, but it leaves me wondering about the safety of our privately run servers? If there is no cheat prevention system in WU, does that mean if I run a free/open server players of WU can login with hacked or modded clients and get away with almost anything on my server? I hope this isn't so, but if it is, it would definitely make me think twice about WU.

During the week of Oct 18th-24th, there are currently 4 or 5 BIG games coming out on Steam that will be vying for the customer's cash.  The games are Sword Coast Legends, Vermintide, How To Survive 2, Wurm Unlimited, and one other that slips my mind currently. SCL was my #1 choice until I stumbled upon WU. Now, WU is going to get my limited money and those other games mentioned will have to go on the back burner for a while. From what I've seen so far WU has the greatest potential to entertain me as I love sand box games, fantasy RPGs, and running my own server. I truly hope there is some way to protect one's private server from cheats and hacks of the WU client. If not, that would make WU less thrilling due to fear of hackers ruining and griefing good servers.

Can you please elaborate on the WU server and potential for hacking and cheating if no protection system is in place?

Thanks,

John

• Like 3

From what I've seen so far WU has the greatest potential to entertain me as I love sand box games, fantasy RPGs, and running my own server. I truly hope there is some way to protect one's private server from cheats and hacks of the WU client. If not, that would make WU less thrilling due to fear of hackers ruining and griefing good servers.

Can you please elaborate on the WU server and potential for hacking and cheating if no protection system is in place?

The only way I can envision protecting one's server setup to any extent is by pre-screening those who are allowed to enter it. Those who just create an open server allowing anyone to log into it are going to find a lot of undesirable results to deal with, I would say. It seems most who want to allow others to play are their servers will just go with inviting known friends and if not they will first have some type of interview with the unknowns who want to play there.

Even then these server operators will be in for an educational experience in what Rolf has had to put up with from players and their demands all these years. Should be a time of much enlightenment, which I am looking forward to reading about since I myself will stay well clear of these much improved over Wurm Online new servers created by others. Good times ahead!

=Ayes=

iF Rolf offered the server security code as part of WU then it is likely commercial server operators will outperform WO and his subscription model will die.  By being able to promote WO as the safe multiplayer with MMO decades long persistence he adds value to WO over WU.  If you want to play with strangers play with WO, only play with trusted friends in WU

I was excited about SCL until I realized the only thing that makes it D&D is lore.  The combat is nothing like D&D being action combat with much overuse of healbots and rezes.  There is no tension of die rolls over critical fails/hits if you do not have turn based combat (pausing action combat is not the same thing)  For those looking for a turn based combat with the strategic depth of D&D combat the better game this year was Divinity Original Sin.  

I think there are many like me that are going to jump on the chance to replay Wurm without having to continually repay.   But it is unfair to mention SCL in the same genre as Wurm which is not a top-down dungeon crawler.   Any ex Wurm player certainly has a higher gaming budget than most and can afford to by all the games, but I doubt it has any competition in the sandbox category, no games have yet to match the depth of it's open world.  But it will sadly get overlooked once people realize it is not action combat.

Edited by yarnevk

have a "GV" area that resets every 3 months or so, set  max skill to 20, and use that area as a screening process before being ported to the real world.

Question I have a hosting company I use regularly for my gaming needs, http://www.bananastandhosting.com/ will a free hosting client be provided so that company's out there would be encouraged to provide hosting services?

Question Will there be a set update schedule, like weekly at a certain time, or like ARK: Survival evolved where it comes randomly, morning noon or night, sometimes 1 hr apart? ( I hope for the scheduled update option after the first rush of bugs due to pain always getting servers updated)

I have not seen an answer to these questions.. anyone know?

From the pictures i have seen so far. There is a server management GUI program, which is quite cool, wont go into details.

I do not know if this program is for local access only or has remote access capabilities.

But it is unfair to mention SCL in the same genre as Wurm which is not a top-down dungeon crawler.   

For the record. It is not unfair to mention SCL in the same post as WU if it is within the context for which it was being compared. The comparison being made was that they are 2 out of 5 or so BIG games coming out within the same week. There was no mention or intention to say that the two games are similar in any way other than both are games. As such those with a limited budget may have to choose to buy one over the other because funds, not because they are in any way similar other than being a game. 

Simply both being BIG /Popular games was the only comparison, not genre, visual quality, style, multiplayer, action vs. turn based combat, etc...

Edited by Draugr

If we choose not to use a custom map, will a map dump of the island be provided at or before the time of purchase.  Just an Idea of what the island sorta looks like ?

i saw on another forum somwhere about wurm unlimited being 30 days prem on wurm unlimited at the start. so i guess i just wanna hear a second opinion and just to make sure if that was just a crock of sh*t. So, On wurm unlimited players get the same benefits the prem players had on like on WO but in wurm unlimited, its forever? 

basically what im asking is do i get premium benefits in wurm unlimited forever, since i bought WU? lol

basically what im asking is do i get premium benefits in wurm unlimited forever, since i bought WU? lol

You get premium benefits on all WU servers that have free premium set, that includes your own server, should you chose to run one.

Wurm Online is the one with a monthly subscription, WU does not have that.

Note that there will be player run servers that do choose to use the subscription model to help cover hosting costs, most private home run servers won't do that.

WU itself is a one time purchase, without recurring costs.

• Like 1

I can not find cofirmation nor confirm myself this: is characteristics gain affected by "skill improvement" multiplier?

edit: nvm, found confirmation (in form of numerous mods :D)

Edited by nekoexmachina