Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Server settings statistics

Once all of the private servers are up and running will your deal with Steam allow you to gather private server data in order to see or gauge what server settings are most attractive to the new (assumed) customer base?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say GM mode... ;)

Thought of a potential issue.

Character names on Wurm Online are unique, but how are they going to be handled in Wurm Unlimited.

I.e. can you choose any character name, but then what happens if your server is connected to a server where there is already someone using that name?

• Like 1

:) Hi,  I just have 3 small questions. Do I understand right that if I wanted to I can play the standalone version of the game exactly the way we play on line now, so including the skills to 100, resources, building unlimited and that basicly the 'only' (for me pretty important) thing missing will be the community? Second question, how does it work with the deeds if you're playing solo? You still have to pay silver for it? (If so where does it go?) I'm mainly asking this to get clear if the wall-decay, the dying pregnant mum-animals, the lights not turning off during the day etc will be an issue in that version. Can I still make a bridge on a stand alone? Since you need two players to make one, how does that work? 

:) I love new ideas. :P Just try to get my head around the 'smaller' stuff. 

:) Hi,  I just have 3 small questions. Do I understand right that if I wanted to I can play the standalone version of the game exactly the way we play on line now, so including the skills to 100, resources, building unlimited and that basicly the 'only' (for me pretty important) thing missing will be the community? Second question, how does it work with the deeds if you're playing solo? You still have to pay silver for it? (If so where does it go?) I'm mainly asking this to get clear if the wall-decay, the dying pregnant mum-animals, the lights not turning off during the day etc will be an issue in that version. Can I still make a bridge on a stand alone? Since you need two players to make one, how does that work? 

For the most part yes, the idea is that it will be mostly the same game as wurm online but standalone. If you like you can play it exactly as you would but without the official community or support.

Rolf has said that we will have an option able to make deeds free on WU.

I can only speculate that decay would be another setting for the Gui. Another thing to consider is that in GM mode you'd likely be able to spawn in silver or give your character a trader to get silver if you wanted the challenge from it or set a bridge as necessary, though having solo bridge options for WU with maybe adding a plant option for the ranged pole could work for bridge planning.

Edited by Blacklotus
  • Like 1

WU is kinda like WO in god mode. You can set parameters and do GM stuff. Cept you can't have an alt and they forgot you need two characters for some things. Ooops.

Edited by Clatius

I had another question, Warlander. Priesting up. Will there be altars at some spawn location that will let you choose a deity to follow and also bestow priesthood?

For the most part yes, the idea is that it will be mostly the same game as wurm online but standalone. If you like you can play it exactly as you would but without the official community or support.

Rolf has said that we will have an option able to make deeds free on WU.

I can only speculate that decay would be another setting for the Gui. Another thing to consider is that in GM mode you'd likely be able to spawn in silver or give your character a trader to get silver if you wanted the challenge from it or set a bridge as necessary, though having solo bridge options for WU with maybe adding a plant option for the ranged pole could work for bridge planning.

About the silvers, somewhere up there in this long thread he said in GM mode, you can just spawn silvers. By him saying that, I would assume that since the silvers are bound to only that specific instance (build? LOL don't even know what you would call a saved game) of WU that you are playing, IE not your your Wurm Online account or even your Worm Unlimited account, they are just another item like a wemp strand or a potato. 

Also, since he is porting a modified Wurm Online into the new Wurm Unlimited, one could also speculate that if you didn't want to spawn silvers, the routine for seeding activities like killing monsters or foraging may cough up coppers. 

I think Rolf gave up on this thread.  I really like to see all of the official answers compiled and listed in the first post.

I think Rolf gave up on this thread.  I really like to see all of the official answers compiled and listed in the first post.

R-E-L-A-X its the weekend ;)

Since in WU you will not be able to run multiple characters at once, but only a single character, then will WU have settings that will allow us to make that one character able to be a jack of all trades?

In other words, will that one character be able to get skill gain in everything, including priest skills?  Instead of having to choose between being a normal toon or being a priest?  Be able to enchant and mine and build, etc?  Or be able to gain the abilities of more than just one kind of priest (multiple faith bars, able to set which favor you are sacrificing for, etc.)  Just plain be able to master any and all skills without limits all in that one character?

Will there be epic events?

I would like to have a large map with lots of water and minimal landmass, but with frequent epic events to provide resources, where you have to search and sail the seas for, in stead of settling down on existing resources.

Sorry, I did mis read your post. I was only trying to help. Thanks for the claws though. You are everything i've heard about these forums.

You cast aspersions about someone's character by insinuating that they are suggesting dishonest behavior, which you clearly admit were made mistakenly, and then you want to talk about "claws"?  That makes for a pretty backhanded apology.  In most cases, I tend to be pretty civil in these forums, but if you are going to make unfounded accusations like that you had better expect some retaliation.

Since in WU you will not be able to run multiple characters at once, but only a single character, then will WU have settings that will allow us to make that one character able to be a jack of all trades?

In other words, will that one character be able to get skill gain in everything, including priest skills?  Instead of having to choose between being a normal toon or being a priest?  Be able to enchant and mine and build, etc?  Or be able to gain the abilities of more than just one kind of priest (multiple faith bars, able to set which favor you are sacrificing for, etc.)  Just plain be able to master any and all skills without limits all in that one character?

This is what I am thinking will be available, that if desired the player can put any combination of skills and attributes on their character that they want. No reason why one character can't have the abilities of every priesthood as well as being able to perform any other building/crafting skills that they choose. Then they could also just set their favor, etc. to 100.00 and reset it to that at will, or even just have it auto-regenerate without needing to sacrifice anything.

This would fit well with the single player mode where everything is just customized to that person's liking. No need to follow any Wurm Online restrictions and this would serve the player better in *creative* mode where their focus is just to build the world. Everything should really be tailored to where one customized character will have the ability to do everything.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

That already said you can be champion....

They could also make scepter of +100 faith.....and a marker for bridges to place.....

Anything and everything can be solved fairly easy without making 7 guys per account.

Since they are separate games and  its pretty easy to do things with GM mode.

Edited by Uberknot

Since I play quite a lot of games through Steam, and host servers for several of them, hopefully I can shed a bit of light on some of the questions being brought up.  All of this is pure conjecture, of course.  We'll all just have to wait until October 21st to see how it all plays out.

With pretty much all Steam games, you are only paying for the game client.  If a game is able to be played multi-player, and a multi-player server can be self-hosted, the server is a free-addon to the client.  Some games include the server with the client by default, launching the server behind the scenes for the client to connect to when playing solo.  It sounds like WU will include the server sortware automatically but it won't be loaded unless needed.  Hopefully it can be run separately from Steam, but this is up to Rolf, not Valve.  The steam games that I host (Starbound, ARK, 7 Days to Die, etc.) are running on my web server, which does not have Steam installed.  I update all of these game servers manually, there's no automatic update performed because I don't log into Steam on that machine.

In several of the Steam games I own, Steam is only used to start up a launcher.  The launcher then starts up an instance of the client, and that launcher should be able to start up more than one instance of the client at the same time.  It's completely up to Rolf and team to allow characters to be created and selected at the launcher, or to tie a single character to a steam account.  This is not a limitation of Steam.

• Like 4

I think the biggest limitation would be that a single character would not be able to be online in 2 launchers at the same time just like when you try to start a second wurm login. It'd have to kick the first launcher off.

Now as far as hosting servers go, running the server itself. I will want to be hosting more than 1 server on a physical server but don't want to have multiple steam accounts? Will this be possible?

Now as far as hosting servers go, running the server itself. I will want to be hosting more than 1 server on a physical server but don't want to have multiple steam accounts? Will this be possible?

There were people in LiF and Grav that hosted multiple servers and I know of 1 guy who had his personal server and hosted servers for 3 games on it. The problem comes in accessing those servers as Steam  acts as a portal to the server list and will only allow one instance of itself to be launched.

I do know there are a few Steam games like Project Gorgon that had a client launcher seperate from Steam where you could log in with either one but that had a dedicated server much like WO.

just wanted to say. thank you. been looking for something like this for awhile and also a question about it. Will there be a way to save your deeds on the map and transfer them to a new map if you wish to wipe the server?

In replay to "I need alts"

* Bridges require two and so do some link-required magics. Wurm Dev, Warlander, said he's working on this.

* Reduce your action timers so one guy is suddenly like 2,3,4.. alts doing the same thing.

* Just spawn a stack of bricks/planks/whatever with GM power.

* Make a macro and do that boring stuff while your doing something, google "mouse click recorder". You can do this in WU. It is not like in WO where these type of tools will get you in trouble.

Here are a couple questions.

1.Will adjusting things like skill gain rate and action timers be possible on the fly or is it only something you can do during the initial server configuration?

2. Can skills be adjusted individually and at any time?

1.Will adjusting things like skill gain rate and action timers be possible on the fly or is it only something you can do during the initial server configuration?

2. Can skills be adjusted individually and at any time?

1. Possible at any time.

2. I am not sure what you mean, if you mean setting skill values individually - sure, no problem. If you mean different skill rates for each skill, this will be impossible without modding.

Do we have access to wurm's code?

could you also release all current / old maps(fresh) with WU to boost our map base if we can't generate new ones?

e.g  GV/ old affliction for private smaller games

Do we have access to wurm's code?

could you also release all current / old maps(fresh) with WU to boost our map base if we can't generate new ones?

Old Elevation

Edited by ausimus

How will religion work with WU?

Will we have something similar to the alter of three, or the bone alter>

Will it be possible to give a character the abilities to cast spells without imposing the restrictions like no digging, mining, etc?

i could imagine that your will spawn altars in gm mode (like something to build up your starter town) and for religion limitations there must be templates. see the new gods in WO.