Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

So Rolf, If things like SOTG modifications become popular on WU servers, Is there ANY chance of seeing them come to WO? 

Would reducing your action timers by half be the same thing as using two characters? And the same idea with reducing timers by 1/3 for 3 or 25% for 4.

The things that need two characters (bridges, linking required spells) are an issue but it appears Warlander addressing those.

Could I create a world with non aggressive creatures? 

Naturally, just set aggressive animal % to 0.

Ha, ha! No more of these pests within my own private WU dream world then to waste time upon and disturb the tranquility. Excellent!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

WU is depending a lot on Steam-only features, most notably server browser, so it cannot work outside of Steam. When it comes to bridges and spells... You have a point, we will need to do something with that before release for sure. I am thinking about possibility to run multiple clients via single Steam app process, but this will require engine switch from LWJGL 2 to LWJGL 3.

Yikes! No one tested thing at all. If it had been tested to see how things work this would have been realized. This is why so many of us were concerned about alts. This is why many have said no alts is a show stopper.  :(

• Like 1

I guess you can lower the spell cost and maybe on the bridge you can plant the range pole to hold it in place or maybe use a construction marker like thing that you can plant to connect with.  (Although having a way to play more then one character at a time would be better of course)

Can we translate the interface and all the game world to other languages ?

It was answered already, but currently how things work, this wouldn't be possible (in any easy, simple way). I really hope this can be supported soon though.

Its gonna be cheap enough buy several.

Can you run multiple Steam clients at a time? It's not just how many you buy. It's your ID on Steam. You will need 1 Steam account (and client) running for each alt you plan to use. If you plan to cast, let's say, Holy Crop that needs 300 favor, you will need 3 Steam IDs and 3 Steam clients running, each one allowing one priest. If you can't run multiple Steam clients, you now need 3 computers or virtual boxes. 

It's not a shows stopper by any means but it will make it impossible to not need to use your GM to spawn things. If one wants a single player Wurm Online experience, without changing the variables or spawning everything they want, one will need to be able to use at least 3 characters on one Steam ID. People who set up a server and invite friends/family to join them and people who don't mind spawning things a single character can't do solo are not really affected. 

Warlander gave a way the devs can go to launch more than one client but another way would be to be able to have a non-restricted priest (meaning your character can do everything a non-priest can do) and lower all spells to a maximum of 100 favor. But this still would require a massive rework on bridges. As they are designed, you simply cannot plan one without two people online at the same time. 

EDIT: I have not seen WU but they did mention NPCs. Maybe it would be possible for them to code in a way in which you can direct NPCs to do these things for you? Or even some kind of Fo Altar (insert any deity) where you right click and "order" a rite or to have whatever spell cast upon what you place inside it.

EDIT again: There are many things that can be done in a stand-alone single player WU that can't really be done in WO. But it seems Rolf had wanted them to stay as close as possible to each other so he can develop both at the same time. The more we stray with ideas for WU from how WO works, the more it becomes Rolf developing two separate games with his very small staff of devs.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

Then best bet would be allow multi clients with one Steam ID. I guess. One month and two days to get it fixed. 

• Like 2

So basically you want the ability to have at least 3 or maybe even 5, 6, 7+ characters like some players do with WO now.

Personally I think that's half the problem with WO right now, but to each his own.

Maybe had people needed to work together instead of the way things are right now with players becoming solo cities, solo sermoning, solo everything......more people would have had a reason to stay.  

WO is just as much a solo player game as WU will ever be.

I am sure they can make in game features for WU that allow the things you are worried about without having 3-7 or so extra guys.

If they can't maybe people will have to learn to work together? or come play WO where they can have 7 guys playing at one time.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 3

So basically you want the ability to have at least 3 or maybe even 5, 6, 7+ characters like some players do with WO now.

Personally I think that's half the problem with WO right now, but to each his own.

Maybe had people needed to work together instead of the way things are right now with players becoming solo cities, solo sermoning, solo everything......more people would have had a reason to stay.  

thats is absolutly correct!

thats is absolutly correct!

What exactly is? That he is comparing an SP game that you can shut down for any time you want to an online one that won't let you quit?

That he is comparing an online grindfest and chorefest to a game where one could control every aspect?

Or that he is advising people to learn to "work together" in a single-player game?

Animal Numbers.

Many of these private server companies impose animal count limits to reduce server lag. In games like LiF this is not a problem because once you captured an animal and added it to a pen it became a database item and no longer on the server animal count. This animal limit was also used as a pricing point for many of these companies where having 25 or 50 or 100 animals per server would dramatically increase your server cost. A low limit would force people to have to choose between being breeders or hunters and that would effect the entire server population. We do not need limits.

How do yall plan to deal with these issues when they arise?

Will the server companies be allowed to impose these additional costs beyond what CC believes reasonable?

What is the target/max animal count CC expects to have available per server?

Edited by Zaul

Will holiday/special items be available in the database for GMs to spawn for special events like hota statues, gnomes, summer hats, ect...

Hi,

{... Will there be a way to play WU without using Steam? ...}

Afraid not Xandra

Thx a lot for the reply! But, unfortunately, it means that WU will be off limits for me. Because I'll never install such junk like Steam onto one of my machines (or onto one I have to care for). Never, until they change 180° at least.

Don't be sad though, Rolf - we'll stay on WO anyways. With multiple deeds & multiple premiums, unchanged.

And I really hope that all this goes well, even if my innate C(X)assandra is seeing bloody rain already, rotting corpses all over the place, rivers of tears and whatever it takes for a true Armageddon. I see a bleeding out of WO premiums changing to 1-time paid WU accounts, I see as few staying newcomers as we have already due to the sheer difficulties to adopt a full hardcore sandbox without previous experiences, and no training grounds at all ...

But as mentioned, I really hope that all this goes well, and I'm holding thumbs!

Have a good time!

• Like 1

I am sure they can make in game features for WU that allow the things you are worried about without having 3-7 or so extra guys.

If they can't maybe people will have to learn to work together? or come play WO where they can have 7 guys playing at one time.

The problem with WURMO and other MMOs is that everyone can do everything. If people had to specialize then you would have communities and a true MMO. One person would be a carpenter, another a mason, another a miner, another a woodcutter, another a farmer, etc. It would more likely force people to work together. But nope, for some reason MMOs have become single player capable because you don't need anyone else. Just youself and maybe an alt or two. 

Edited by Clatius

Hi, Steam only allows one client of any game (not only Wurm Unlimited) running at one time so you can only run one character per Steam installation and account.

Another clarification question - I'm assuming that the "at one time" qualifier means that we will be able to make multiple characters with one copy of the game, but only log in one of those characers at a time?

Or am I reading this wrong and we will literally be limited to creating a single character per game/Steam account?

You will be running the server on LAN by default in case you're behind a router.

I realized later that this question may not have been entirely clear - I was asking in reference to a shared server rather than a single-player game.  What I want to know is will we be able to connect multiple clients/accounts to a single server via LAN instead of broadcasting it online.  Specifically, if I set up a server on my computer, and connect with my client, and a family member in the same house starts up their copy of the client, will they be able to connect directly to my server over the LAN instead of having to access it through the internet?  Or in order to connect to the server, will their client have to look outside the LAN through a server-matching service (such as Steam), only to be re-routed through the internet back to my server?

If I were to install copies of the game on a few computers, and wire those computers together in the same room, with no internet connection available on any of the computers, would they be able to all connect to and play on a server hosted on one of the local computers?

Tbh haven't read though all the posts, so unsure if a price scheme has been figured out yet?

You don't exactly have other people to play with in a single player game. That's the whole definition of single player, Uber. If they want a stand alone single player version of Wurm, a single player must be able to do everything a whole server of players can do. If that means NPCs assist you (Mass Effect, SWTOR, etc) or you control multiple characters (Dragon Age), then that's what it needs.

We are not the ones releasing a single player Wurm. If they want to release a single player Wurm and have it work and not be laughed off Steam when you can't do half the stuff you can by playing here (notice bridges are a theme in the trailer video and you cannot build them solo), then they need these things pointed out to them.

EDIT: And no one is making you play Wurm Unlimited. If you don't want to play it or don't like the idea, it's not required to play here.

Edited by Audrel

Another clarification question - I'm assuming that the "at one time" qualifier means that we will be able to make multiple characters with one copy of the game, but only log in one of those characers at a time?

Or am I reading this wrong and we will literally be limited to creating a single character per game/Steam account?

Steam does not support boxing so if you want to log 2 characters on your server (main and priest for instance) then you must have 2 computers, 2 seperate steam accounts and 2 copies of the game.

2 copies of the game because 2 steam accounts wont share a game  code.

2 computers because steam (unless something has changed/hacked) will not allow you to open 2 instances of itself on 1 computer.

Duel boxing is considered cheating in many games especially pvp.

Thought / Suggestion, either for a modder or for the devs.  I understand the client-side limitation of logging in one character at a time (no matter how many alts you're allowed on a given server for WU).  What about the possibility of a "headless" logon?  Not sure if that's the right term, but I'm thinking about an interface that would tell the server to log a character on with no associated client connected.  If that could be done, the rest would probably be simple scripting server side.

Example:  I do a headless logon for my alt Keete, and then logon with my main Nikalus.  I'm only running one client, but I can see Keete standing where I left him.  Scripts would allow me to issue commands to Keete via in-game chat ("Keete, follow me", "Keete, accept trade", "Keete, stay here", "Keete, link spell", etc).

Not sure if I'm onto a good track or not, but it seems like maybe that idea would be an easier way of allowing alts on a single-player instance...  Anyone with more programming experience think this might be doable?

Steam does not support boxing so if you want to log 2 characters on your server (main and priest for instance) then you must have 2 computers, 2 seperate steam accounts and 2 copies of the game.

2 copies of the game because 2 steam accounts wont share a game  code.

2 computers because steam (unless something has changed/hacked) will not allow you to open 2 instances of itself on 1 computer.

Duel boxing is considered cheating in many games especially pvp.

First, I know this is the internet and all, but it helps to actually read a post before responding.  I was specifically asking about whether we could create multiple characters with a single account but still just run one at a time; not run multiple characters simultaneously.  There are plenty of games that allow you to make more than one character per account, you just can't log in to more than one at once; but some comments here have indicated that a single account might be limited to a single character at all.  That's all I was asking about; I said nothing about running two instances of Steam or any such thing.  Again, read before you post.

Second, as this is something which only Rolf or someone else on WURM staff would have the knowledge to answer, you'll excuse me if I wait for official word on the matter, as anything else is pure speculation.

• Like 1

First, I know this is the internet and all, but it helps to actually read a post before responding.  I was specifically asking about whether we could create multiple characters with a single account but still just run one at a time; not run multiple characters simultaneously.  There are plenty of games that allow you to make more than one character per account, you just can't log in to more than one at once; but some comments here have indicated that a single account might be limited to a single character at all.  That's all I was asking about; I said nothing about running two instances of Steam or any such thing.  Again, read before you post.

Second, as this is something which only Rolf or someone else on WURM staff would have the knowledge to answer, you'll excuse me if I wait for official word on the matter, as anything else is pure speculation.

Sorry, I did mis read your post. I was only trying to help. Thanks for the claws though. You are everything i've heard about these forums.

EDIT: And no one is making you play Wurm Unlimited. If you don't want to play it or don't like the idea, it's not required to play here.

LOL!  YOU don't have to play WU if YOU don't want too.....Me that's the only game I'll play from now on.

Anyhow I am sure they will come up with something other than having to log into 7 players like WO has....

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

Server settings statistics

Once all of the private servers are up and running will your deal with Steam allow you to gather private server data in order to see or gauge what server settings are most attractive to the new (assumed) customer base?