Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

With one Steam account, how many game accounts can we have?

GM Account, Main Character, Alt1, Alt2, etc?

Another scenario is, can we use the GM Account to modify the other characters while they are offline?

How can the main character add an alt to the village if they are offline?

So my understanding is that each steam account that purchases WU gets one WU account which means one character? Are there any plans for allowing accounts to have multiple characters? So far this is the only major drawback that I see to WU over WO is that you can't run multiple clients/characters at the same time.

Another question is will settings related to priests be able to be changed? Say I wanted priests to be able to priest but not have the penalties to what they can do (dig, craft farm etc) I know that going into GM mode you could just bypass this but thinking in terms of servers would there be a way to change this for everyone on the server?

While the idea of only one character at a time is limiting it could force people to work together more - but then players playing the priest only are very limited.

So my understanding is that each steam account that purchases WU gets one WU account which means one character? Are there any plans for allowing accounts to have multiple characters? So far this is the only major drawback that I see to WU over WO is that you can't run multiple clients/characters at the same time.

Another question is will settings related to priests be able to be changed? Say I wanted priests to be able to priest but not have the penalties to what they can do (dig, craft farm etc) I know that going into GM mode you could just bypass this but thinking in terms of servers would there be a way to change this for everyone on the server?

While the idea of only one character at a time is limiting it could force people to work together more - but then players playing the priest only are very limited.

just make the priest account a champian of the religion.

Edited by ausimus

I hope this is not true. The number of characters per WU account should be dictated by the WU, not steam. There are other games on steam that allow multiple characters because that isn't set until you get into the game itself. Steam only restricts one game client to be run. Anyway, I hope Rolf can shed some light on this.

Also, since you can only run one client at a time, I'm hoping that Rolf will run a sale to purchase 2 for the price of 1, for example, so that you can create a 2nd steam account, gift the 2nd WU to your other account and then you'll be able to play your main and alt together. Of course, you'll have to use separate computers in order to do this though. I've seen other multiplayer type games offer, for example, a 4-pack for a great deal. I think sales like this would help the player base and population on WU public servers.

I don't see him offering as big sale on multiple accounts since he doesn't do that now - but I do hope that he either allows or plans to add in the ability to have multiple characters per account. There are a couple ways I think to run two steams on one computer just not tried them myself yet.

As for the champing of priests I would just hope there is a way to configure the priest settings rather than having to champ each character that wants to priest but also be able to craft since they can't multibox.

I know we can only use one character at a time but how many characters can we make on one WU game? (will it be five like we have now)

Edited by Kegan

Will we be able to set what spells a priest can cast? I.e Fo casting web armor or rotting touch?

One thing I haven't seen asked....

I set up my server software, all nice n' good to go....

Then I gotta run a client to connect to said server and actually play....

So got my server, got my main running around, I invite friends....

a)  Will a separate client be available for download, or will usual client now come with an additional "insert server IP here" line?

B)  Would the new client require the purchase of WU for non-server-owners (as in the friends I invite), will there be a smaller cheaper "client only" purchase.... and.... to run *only the client* would one need Steam?

This... is troublesome.

Well, maybe not at all. If you run the server version wouldn't you be able to run multiple characters at the same time? You don't have to host it online, just a local server, right? Bah. You'll still be stuck with running one client. 

If we are stuck running just one character and no alts this is a major road block. Perhaps allow the WU version to run multiple characters off of one client like many other MMO. 

Edited by Clatius

Mord it will be like in any other survival game whats on the market right now like rust,ark,lit. You buy the.game and choose just to play or even host a sever. There will no be cheaper Version,there will be One and with that you can do everything.

Hi,

I don't have an opinion about this yet. Must think of it, and must have more input.

But a question comes to mind:

Will there be a possibility to buy Wurm Unlimited without using Steam?

Thx! And have fun!

Afraid not Xandra

Rolf, just to clarify, should we interpret this answer as applying to this initial release, or forever and all future of WU?

Is it more "there are no plans at this time for a non-Steam release (implying that there may be a change to this in the future, or at least the possibility is still open)," or "WU will never be released outside of Steam, period"?

Thanks!

• Like 1

One thing I haven't seen asked....

I set up my server software, all nice n' good to go....

Then I gotta run a client to connect to said server and actually play....

So got my server, got my main running around, I invite friends....

a)  Will a separate client be available for download, or will usual client now come with an additional "insert server IP here" line?

B)  Would the new client require the purchase of WU for non-server-owners (as in the friends I invite), will there be a smaller cheaper "client only" purchase.... and.... to run *only the client* would one need Steam?

They will have to buy a character on steam, having your own internet server or joining someone else's server is optional.

Edited by Uberknot

Rolf, just to clarify, should we interpret this answer as applying to this initial release, or forever and all future of WU?

Is it more "there are no plans at this time for a non-Steam release (implying that there may be a change to this in the future, or at least the possibility is still open)," or "WU will never be released outside of Steam, period"?

Thanks!

Someone may try to run a hacked version....but I doubt he's going to make it public domain.

Edited by Uberknot

Is this gonna be free?

No, you'll have to buy an account for a character on steam then you can play for as long as you want.

No, you'll have to buy an account for a character on steam then you can play for as long as you want.

Is there a set price?

Is there a set price?

They haven't released it yet, but have an Idea of what they will want. I am sure we will all know soon.

They haven't released it yet, but have an Idea of what they will want. I am sure we will all know soon.

Alright. My guess is it will at least be prob. 25-40USD

To be honest, everything depends on server configuration - if you want, you can create server which will have much lower skillgain rates and slower timers than WO servers.

Warlander,

Since I can't get a simple answer to this question from anyone who can provide one I can depend upon as being accurate, I will try asking you.

Can Wurm Unlimited single player be played offline? Either a yes or no will work for me. Thanks.

=Ayes=

Warlander,

Since I can't get a simple answer to this question from anyone who can provide one I can depend upon as being accurate, I will try asking you.

Can Wurm Unlimited single player be played offline? Either a yes or no will work for me. Thanks.

=Ayes=

Naturally, you must set up (local) server even for one player, but this is literally matter of 2 clicks and few seconds of waiting when server is starting up.

• Like 2

Hi, Steam only allows one client of any game (not only Wurm Unlimited) running at one time so you can only run one character per Steam installation and account.

So does this mean we can only have one character per account or that we can only play one character at a time?  

I would like to have a priest and a main on the same account but i would understand that i can only use one at a time. If we can only make one character per account then i am not sure how you would even go around that do we have to have two steam accounts? 

Naturally, you must set up (local) server even for one player, but this is literally matter of 2 clicks and few seconds of waiting when server is starting up.

Thank you for the response! Went to Google and found this Utube vid. Not being well versed in computer terminology or procedures I suppose this will work according to your reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAQsXDi1mBw

Might be useful to other computer semi-illiterates such as myself as well. I only play da games man!

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

Is there plans to remove priest restrictions and spell linking requirements so we can still play our one char and eventually enchant our own items without having to GM it?

Thank you for the response! Went to Google and found this Utube vid. Not being well versed in computer terminology or procedures I suppose this will work according to your reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAQsXDi1mBw

Might be useful to other computer semi-illiterates such as myself as well. I only play da games man!

=Ayes=

You just need to open server management window (from launcher) and click "start". :D

• Like 2