Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Will I be able to deed the entire map in either mode of WU?

I can see this as a challenge for myself to completely cover the entire server with on gigantic city even with GM powers.

I am trying to figure out why any deeds would be required at all on a single player use of WU. If decay could be turned off completely then anything built within the server would have no requirement or benefit of being on a deed. Even with deeds I don't see how any maintenance upkeep on them would be required either, so the only use I can see for deeds would be just as the novelty of having various named Villages dispersed throughout the lands just for novelty purposes and the Village ambiance.

So many questions and possibilities arise on how this will function in the single player version it seemingly could fill volumes. I am sort of thinking it will initially follow closely the Wurm Online version with just the adjustment of skills being the main feature to increase what can be accomplished in game. All the in-game silver might be free and then just used to fulfill they same functions as the WO version just for simplicity's sake. Who knows, not sure, will just have to wait to see...

=Ayes=

I wanna know where the focus will be.

WO or WU?

I also wanna know if you will promote WO in any way on WU.

As said before you have a small group of devs so i guess it would be hard to go with both versions for any longer period.

I wanna know where the focus will be.

WO or WU?

I also wanna know if you will promote WO in any way on WU.

As said before you have a small group of devs so i guess it would be hard to go with both versions for any longer period.

From what i read so far, Hes trying to keep WU as much like WO as possible. All un-discovered content excluded ofcourse, That and the anti cheat. Some people like myself want to know if everything on the known wiki/game will be in WU, From admin powers to disabling certain features to pmks to meditation to whatever else. Or will it be just freedom with the ability to enable or disable pvp.

With that said, there gonna be kept updated and closely coded together

Edited by akaedis

How does timers work for this? For example, crop and tree growth, faith skill gain counters (20min apart, 5 max per day), decay, etc.

This question is more in terms if you're running the server on your own PC. Since most people don't keep their PC's on 24/7, if the server is not running, then basically everything is paused, right? Once you start the server and get back into the game, it starts exactly where you left off or does it look at real time to calculate how much game time should have passed? I assume everything is basically paused if the server isn't running but just looking for confirmation.

• Like 2

How does timers work for this? For example, crop and tree growth, faith skill gain counters (20min apart, 5 max per day), decay, etc.

This question is more in terms if you're running the server on your own PC. Since most people don't keep their PC's on 24/7, if the server is not running, then basically everything is paused, right? Once you start the server and get back into the game, it starts exactly where you left off or does it look at real time to calculate how much game time should have passed? I assume everything is basically paused if the server isn't running but just looking for confirmation.

This is an important question since it will effect normal tree growth, hedges, crops, horses maturity levels and other domesticates. I envision it more as based on a continual internal clock that enables these growth stages to continue while not within the game; thus, time will always pass in these single player servers (if even they can be labeled as servers if not online) to enable it to continue evolve without logging into it. Even then a *Pause* mode could be available for those who want to freeze all absentee progression of the game. Would seem to be the best options to me, although I have no idea about the eventuality.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

My only question, so far, is: Will we be able to run more than one game at a time, for alts to log in for spells and bridges and such?

• Like 1

Could you give us a hit as to what kind of "undiscovered content" will be excluded from WU? I know this is probably hard to do without spoiling the discovery. For one, I'm assuming undiscovered skill titles won't be on WU.

Will all the core game mechanics be the same on WU? I see potential in WU to test out how things work. For example, I could quickly setup an ideal testing scenario to investigate priest spell casting. Since I'm assuming we can independently change skill it wouldn't be that hard to figure out what say channeling and SD does for Vynora.

I haven't seen this asked specifically yet, so my apologies if so.  Will Unlimited have aspects of the deity system, like the unique creater spawns and deity influences?  Even for creative?  Or you control that?

WU is not an online game unless you wish to host a server...

This is a point I was wondering about, if it could be played single player offline, but since it was not specifically stated anywhere I continue to have my doubts. I mentioned that Skyrim was that way on Steam where you could play offline and only needed to log into Steam to update it, so I am hoping this is the way that it will work for Wurm Unlimited as well.

This would be great for building the world independent of any internet connection while moving or disconnected to it for other reasons. I know my ISP can go down unexpectedly for some times on occasion, so this will be a nice alternative to play then for the Wurm fix and progress of one's own little lonely isolated world. Can't really dispute the fact that it is an isolating environment in contrast to the Wurm Online MMO worlds with their more social environments, which I think will continue to make them attractive to others who want a broader human experience in many ways.

=Ayes=

The client and the server is written in java so you will have Windows, Linux and MacOSX support for both.

Rolf said the game uses native Steam libraries that mean the client will only run on Windows. Using Java doesn't guarantee something will be compatible on all platforms.

• Like 1

Well i'm seeing the same questions being asked several times that have already been answered. So it's time for a new one.

Will there be a Santa Claus?

And the easter bunny. I always look forward to my egg full of cheese!!

Couldn't find it listed anywhere in here so I thought I'd ask;

Will private server rely on Wurm Online in any way?  That is, would an WO outage effect me?  If WO shuts down, would my WU server still work?

As far as I've understood Rolf in his responses WU will be exactlly like WO.

2 Maps Adventure and Creative. Adventure will be like Epic with gods and ability to become a god. Creative will be like Independence with out the extra valkre and such and pve only.

As far as multiple clients running like you do in WO might be a online perk only. It might be possible for them to make a character window so you can log in and out of different characters on the same account but as far as multiple chars at same time I don't see this happening with steam. But I never seen there code so I think if I'm right if it will work the way I'm thinking you should be able to log in multiple times. I know sounds like a paradox answer to the Question.

• Like 1

will the development of wurm continue will it have new update ? or you're moving to something else?

Edited by BlGpapa

Rolf said the game uses native Steam libraries that mean the client will only run on Windows. Using Java doesn't guarantee something will be compatible on all platforms.

Steam and the Steamworks SDK are available for OS X and Linux. Other Java games have been released on all three platforms via Steam, e.g., Altitude: http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300. Even Flash games have been released for all platforms via Steam. Any Windows limitation is not from Steam.

Edited by FasterDoudle
  • Like 1

Steam and the Steamworks SDK are available for OS X and Linux. Other Java games have been released on all three platforms via Steam, e.g., Altitude: http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300. Even Flash games have been released for all platforms via Steam. Any Windows limitation is not from Steam.

I don't know what else to tell you, Rolf explicitly stated (in this thread) the client will only work on Windows.

No WO and WU are separate. It is this way for security reasons. If WO was to go belly up and close down WU wouldn't be effected. You would still be able to log in and play WU.

I don't know what else to tell you, Rolf explicitly stated (in this thread) the client will only work on Windows.

True enough, my point was just that that requirement wasn't coming from Valve. If I had to take a stupid, wild-ass guess, I'd say the server-side has been deployed on Windows for long enough that Windows-isms have crept into the code base and/or that it's just too much of a potential customer support nightmare for a very small dev shop to face down hordes of Mac and Linux users (we are an entitled bunch, I admit.)

True enough, my point was just that that requirement wasn't coming from Valve. If I had to take a stupid, wild-ass guess, I'd say the server-side has been deployed on Windows for long enough that Windows-isms have crept into the code base and/or that it's just too much of a potential customer support nightmare for a very small dev shop to face down hordes of Mac and Linux users (we are an entitled bunch, I admit.)

Ok I see where you're coming from. I'd prefer having a Linux client but I can handle playing that on Windows (it's why I dual-boot afterall) but being able to use Linux to host the server is not really optional in my opinion. Of course as you say, there is probably some Microsoft garbage tacked on now and we have no choice but to play nice. I hope we're both wrong about this and we can get a nice little command-line server for Linux. That would make me (and my wallet) happy.

If the Windowsims (eeeew) crawled that deeply into the code, here's hoping it can be wine'd without having to vmware/dualboot it.

First one to try it after Oct. 21st don't forget to post, we'll probably end up making a thread for the elit.... linux using community. ^_^

If there's no Linux support server-side and client-side sometime after launch, I'll probably pass on getting WU. I'd prefer a GOG version as well since that would make using a server host easier (I don't want to mess around with Steam-cmd, personally) but I don't want to be too greedy with my wishes. Fingers crossed for all of the above though.

• Like 1

You buy the game once. There is no registering any characters at all. WU is not an online game unless you wish to host a server in which case you still don't have to register anything with Steam. Exactly where did you get that idea. I am baffled. As far as Steam having an unpredictable future, it continues to grow with no end in sight short of a massive failure of world society. But no one has to like everything. Variety is a good thing. 

1. From what I understood WU is still an online game. You can set up a server, not list it anywhere and play on it alone as if it were a SP game (that's some kind of, *cough*, "local online"). Or you can publish your private server and play there with other people. I never heard anything about a completely standalone SP version like skyrim with saving/loading or anything like that.

2. I've played MMOs from within Steam, and indeed it's no different than without: you launch the game from within Steam, log in, and can choose any of your alts. But I believe that Borgir is wondering about something else, how do we go about the official multi-boxing that WO allows? I never saw a way to run more than one copy of the Steam interface, nor a way to start more than one copy of the same game.

• Like 1

Will WU require creating a new account, making one up similar to TEST, or will it just use our steam handles within a server?

But I believe that Borgir is wondering about something else, how do we go about the official multi-boxing that WO allows? I never saw a way to run more than one copy of the Steam interface, nor a way to start more than one copy of the same game.

Yes, this is what I ment.

Plus I'm worried about Steam being DRM (digital restrictions management). You never know what can happen in the future. For example, they can block whole countries or regions, if they decide. Etc. etc...

Ofc, Steam has many, many advantages. But also a bunch of disadvantages. That's why I'd prefer Steam being only optional.

Made an account just to comment, I must say this sounds exactly like the sort of thing I needed to get back into the game.

Now here's my question, is it possible to create a permadeath server? As in, once a character dies, you have to create a new one? It could bring some unique flavor for some private servers, besides it could be coupled with increased skill gain and/or higher starting stats to make it fair.

• Like 2