Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Is all known wurm online content going to be available in the steam edition? artifacts, pmks, meditation, uniques, bridges, etc? Or even the ability to set up supply tents like the 1 in middle hota

Also, Will the private server GM's have the powers that normal GM's in the live game have? Or are they just given a more limited user friendly version that spawns items and modifies world?

As a GM of a private server, Can i rip players hearts out? My account was bugged one time you see, And a GM killed me to un-bug it, Ripped my heart out and dropped it on the ground. Id like to have this ability in the private server.  :)

Will we have the ability to freely control time? Or weather? Or set the frequency of weather, fog, daylight etc?

EDIT: 

OH, Also, Will we be allowed to set specific skill gains to certain skills? For example, Set ship building to 300% skill gain, set body, mind, soul skill gains to 400%, and set certain skills like digging to default skill gain? Or will it just be over-all?

Will players be able to rename themselves? Or GM's Force name changes? 

Edited by akaedis

Well i think most new games are less than $60 so i am sure it will fall someplace under that. 

New AAA games are normally 50-60 and while not all are worth that it's the amount we are use to paying,  wurm despite aging well should not cost more then 30$ (imho). If they want it to sell well to people that have not even played wurm think in this instance a lower more reasonable price would be the better choice.

Will unlimited be avilable on Mac? In its current state Wurm Online is rocky at best when you run it from mac.

I am sorry if the following have been answered and I missed them.

1. Will there be a PVP or PVE setting for servers?

2. Will we be able to link servers together with skills shared? (Like servers are linked currently via the edges of the map)

3. How about including some of the current map bases (as they where day 1) ? 

4. The ISP I am with wants to host a server(s) any "fansite kit" they can use to advertise it?

Edited by axeblade346

Rolf, 

(from your announcement)

There are initially two modes planned for release: "Adventure", which is a predefined world with a few warring kingdoms to live in and explore, and "Creative" which is an undeveloped map. The main goal for the Adventure mode will be to find a way of becoming a deity on the moon Valrei which we think is suitable both for a single player and a group of players either cooperating or belonging to different kingdoms.

Can you explain adventure mode?  Are the warring kingdoms NPC's since you stated it would be suitable for a single player?

Whats the plan for content updates?

1. I.e. Is Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited going to be updated at the same time?

Are some content updates (random none real example - 3d mines), going to be in forms of DLC - Honestly would be a smart move to make the big game changers be DLC while small things e.g. new trees be free

If this is a success would you look at the possibility of producing / allowing higher resolution assets (possible good DLC)

If he is looking to monetize for more income options, this is the best way to do it. WO gets its patches as part of the subscription. WU will be a DLC. It works great for EA. Look at The Sims. They are on the 4th edition of the same games with the same DLCs and content packs as the previous editions and selling millions of them.

Well i'm seeing the same questions being asked several times that have already been answered. So it's time for a new one.

Will there be a Santa Claus?

• Like 2

1. We know the client does not have Linux support. Will the server software be able to run on Linux?

I ask this because it is much easier and cheaper to secure servers for Linux, especially if it's running on the command-line. If you really want a GUI, just make a web one like they have for Unreal engine stuff.

2. Will we have to buy the game to get the server software or can we download it for free (like SRCDS or Minecraft Server)?

3. What are the suspected hardware requirements for the client? What about requirements for the server?

I understand that situations can be dramatically different from one server to the next, but on default settings, what do you expect we might need?

4. You said the map size was 2048x2048. Is that in kilometres or some other unit? How does that compare to current map sizes?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions Rolf, have a good one.

Edited by FlakAttack

Oh another question regarding priests this time. 

When on WU since its a steam client, I have't tried yet with other games, as far as I know you can't start up another client with the first one running. So will priests have faith hits? Only asking since you are majority of the the wurm population have 2 characters on the current play style; a main (crafter or fighter) character and a priest character.

Or will we be able to set that up ourselves in the settings?

• Like 1

I'm very excited about this announcement. I am pretty sure I will not resub for a 4th stint since I know it will end up in doing dailies, dailies, dailies, sorry, chores, chores and more chores :). Some questions:

* Once a game is started, in SP or coop play, if we want to change some setting like the mining speed for instance, then adjust it again and again, will we be able to do so without a complete reset of the world and a wipe?

* "At the moment you won't be able to create your own maps. We will provide the two maps used in Adventure and Creative mode."

One of my pet peeves with all the islands I have seen up to a year ago was that they were mostly Alps on water. Since with WU you don't gain anything in keeping people surface mining on their deeds for months, could you consider making a flatter island, like maybe with one whole half being flat, and with flat shores?

Will these maps have smaller islands?

* Will we be able to change animal spawn locations? Like have some hunting islands with some endemic populations? (I suppose this wil require a customized map though)

* I have a nice toon that I played for a couple years in total, with most important skills above 70, I have good memories of Wurm and am rather attached to him. Will I be able to either import his skills from a dump or manually enter each of them into my new char?

You said the map size was 2048x2048. Is that in kilometres or some other unit? How does that compare to current map sizes?

2048is the tile count. The server would be as big as Deli, Exo or Cele is.

• Like 1

I'm very excited about this announcement. I am pretty sure I will not resub for a 4th stint since I know it will end up in doing dailies, dailies, dailies, sorry, chores, chores and more chores :). Some questions:

* Once a game is started, in SP or coop play, if we want to change some setting like the mining speed for instance, then adjust it again and again, will we be able to do so without a complete reset of the world and a wipe?

* "At the moment you won't be able to create your own maps. We will provide the two maps used in Adventure and Creative mode."

One of my pet peeves with all the islands I have seen up to a year ago was that they were mostly Alps on water. Since with WU you don't gain anything in keeping people surface mining on their deeds for months, could you consider making a flatter island, like maybe with one whole half being flat, and with flat shores?

Will these maps have smaller islands?

* Will we be able to change animal spawn locations? Like have some hunting islands with some endemic populations? (I suppose this wil require a customized map though)

* I have a nice toon that I played for a couple years in total, with most important skills above 70, I have good memories of Wurm and am rather attached to him. Will I be able to either import his skills from a dump or manually enter each of them into my new char?

Rolf has said repeatedly how WURM Online and WURM U will not be connected in any way. So I don't see how you could port a character. Don't know. Maybe the could do it somehow. 

Rolf has said repeatedly how WURM Online and WURM U will not be connected in any way. So I don't see how you could port a character. Don't know. Maybe the could do it somehow. 

• Like 1

When you can set your characters skills in WU, you can simply create the character with the exact same skills, equipment etc of your WO character.. technically it would be just copying your own character.

• Like 1

We know the client does not have Linux support. Will the server software be able to run on Linux?

The client and the server is written in java so you will have Windows, Linux and MacOSX support for both.

"A private server is still something else than an online hosted version. We aim to keep your creations for decades while your private server may go away overnight as well." Also, the public servers may or may not have more players and permanent community. We will see!

We have no resources for releasing Linux/OSX versions on Steam right now but we want to. It depends on the interest for the Windows version.

With only a Windows version available it may seem like there is a lot of interest but for those of us who will not be going to Windows 10 and beyond, ever, and are already switching to Linux platforms, if there were a Linux version available that would be our choice over any Windows version.

• Like 1

The Steam client uses native libraries so we can only support Windows initially.

One more reason for people moving to or using Linux not to try it out.

• Like 1

With the announcement of WU a lot of people have started requesting new features and asked about it's future development.

Does code club intend to hire new staff from WU profits to work on the new game or is the plan to divert the current staff working on WO to instead work on WU?

Will I be able to deed the entire map in either mode of WU?

I can see this as a challenge for myself to completely cover the entire server with on gigantic city even with GM powers.

I had several questions about this release.  I've done my best to read through what has already been asked and answered, and will try not to repeat requests for information which has already been given.  My apologies in advance if I do repeat something.

My first and biggest question is will this be released in the future on platforms other than Steam?  I know this has been asked by several others, but I have yet to see a clear answer, and I ask because running Steam really is a deal breaker for me.

As for the game itself:

What variables will we be able to control for our servers (other than what has already been specified, such as skill gain speed, etc.)?  If you are open to requests/suggestions, I would like to see the following:

• Maximum skill level cap (to run a lower-skill server, etc).
  • Action speed
  • Movement speeds
  • Weapon ranges
  • Time progression (how fast does time in WU pass compared to real time)
  • Decay rates
  • Animal/monster types that will spawn (may want to run a server with only non-mythical creatures, etc.)
  • Animal/monster spawn rates
  • Animal/monster spawn areas by type - it would be nice to have regions which are relatively safe for lower skilled characters, as well as regions with more dangerous foes for higher level characters to explore
  • Plant/creature growth rates

I would probably be most interested in WU to run a local instance either just for my own use, or for the use of myself and family members within the same household.  As such, I had a few questions relating to such use:

• Will there be support for running servers on a local network instead of broadcasting it online?
  • Will multiple WU copies or Steam accounts be required for multiple players to connect to a server from within a local network?  (I'm assuming the answer is yes, but as an FYI, I'd be willing to pay more than the standard WU cost for a "home" or "family" version which allowed multiple local clients 
  • Will we be able to run multiple clients/characters on a single PC simultaneously as we do now in WO?
  • For this situation, I would probably not have a continuous server running 24/7, but would only activate the server when I or someone else wanted to log in.  How will time progression work in such a situation?  Will everything pause when the server is shut down, and pick up exactly where it left off when it is restarted?  Or upon starting the server, will the program check the system clock, and advance time within the game accordingly?  Can we have an option to do either on server shutdown or startup?  If crops only grow and plants and animals only age when the server is online, then playing single player seems like it would take forever to accomplish certain activities.  However, there may be times when I have to leave/shutdown in the middle of a time-crucial task, in which case it might be nice to have the option to freeze the game state.  However, if we can only have it one way, I think I would opt to have time advance upon startup so that crops and such can be gathered in a reasonable time without having to keep a computer running constantly.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I'll come up with more.  I have to say that I am very excited about this announcement.  My early experience with WURM a few years back was heavily influenced by a very negative experience with a certain group within the community, and that experience greatly impacted the way I played WURM at the time as well as my level of involvement.  Now that I've returned to the game, I find my actions are still colored by that early experience, and as great as some players in this community are, the opportunity to do some projects in this game on my own apart from the influence of others is very attractive.  I'd be very willing to pay for such an experience, as well as to pay for future content updates (additional maps, feature packs, etc.) to such a game.  At the very least, I'd definitely be more likely to buy such things than I would be to, for example, buy silver for WO.

• Like 1

I fail to understand the anxiety people have with running a game on Steam. I and my friends have been using Steam for years and have had no problems. Exactly why do a few people oppose running Steam?

Rolf - Thank you!!

I tried to read most of this thread, but had to skim the last couple pages, after Rolf's responses went afk.  Some that I think others have asked and really would love answers to are:

1.  I think a huge portion of the population plays may alts.  Will you please allow the ability to make multiple alts from the one purchase & then run those accounts all at once?

2.  For others to join the server, will those other accounts be required to have their own server purchase?  If not, it seems there is a risk of one popular person or alliance hosting a server and letting tons of people play for free.

3. Can you set different skill levels, timer speeds, etc to individuals on the same server?  Why?  I'm thinking of so many RP scenarios, like "the weaponsmithing workshop", where I invite players to come join me for 3 hours of intensive WS grind, where I set a boost to leveling or timer speeds, enhancing the group grinding experience.  Others on the server not seeing those benefits, because they aren't there to learn from the group.

4.  PAUSE button.  If I host a big pvp event, or treasure hunt, we could collectively decide we all need a bio break and more pizza.  GM pauses all activity, seasons, animal movement, etc.

5.  GM mode will give us GM flying?  So we can do our teraforming, then fly up to get the big picture view?  I thinking how it would help in creating mazes, roads, etc.

6.  Can we set travel speeds on land, mounted and water?  Please say yes :)  I want a more realistic speed boost for riding horses.  Right now we run at 17 and a horse should do a min of 2x of man-speed.

7. In GM mode, can you make things beyond a 100 skill limitation?  Such as a bridge that is 500 tiles long?

Thank you in advance.  More questions soon!

Edits:

8.  How will travel to other servers work?  Just visit as a new character or my actual alt from my server can sail, portal or just log in to a friends server?

Edited by Wurmhole