Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

You know I've played wurm since 2008, it got me through a lot of hard times and for f*** sake I'm going to have to buy this too.

• Like 1

I'm very excited for this expansion of the game.

I feel like people who don't like it will return to the original, and those who don't like it without playing will never leave the original, therefore it won't have a bad turn out on the game's online servers.

Will also be waiting the night of the 21st.

One thing I do question though,

Whats the price range of the game?

Also for people who say "steam refunds can be submitted up until two weeks after purchasing!"

Have you ever done a steam refund? You have to have played the game for less than a few hours, and obviously if that's the

case you never intended to actually play the game in the first place. Usually its for games that are just not working on your pc / crash a lot etc.

rolf said no price for the game yet -_-

• Like 1

Well i think most new games are less than $60 so i am sure it will fall someplace under that. 

• Like 1

will we be able to run multiple clients of wurm unlimited?

• Like 2

At the moment, I don't see any reason to continue paying a subscription once the one off payment goes live. Unfortunately I fear a larger player base (if 'unlimited' is successful, may not even have a larger player base anymore), centrally hosted servers (I imagine someone who owns the game can do this too), The 'no reset developer trust', and the already in place economy will not be enough to keep people with Online.

Rolf. How about a 1 time charge ..$60 would be fair...   for current WO players to remain on WO servers. It only makes sense for current players to bolt to an Ultimate server rather than continue to pay monthly.

• Like 1

I have a question. Will "premium" be free after this? Why would anyone pay for premium if they have free (well, one-time pay) version?

Say I want to host 3 maps. Two are home kingdoms like in epic being bl home and jk home and the third no one can spawn there as its contested territory. Will this be supported at some point?

I have a question. Will "premium" be free after this? Why would anyone pay for premium if they have free (well, one-time pay) version?

I'm sure lots of people wouldn't even consider moving to their own server, be it because it's more effort/cost to host, be it because they got friends in too many circles of friends to gather them all, be it because they're attached to what they've made on WO over the years.

Then there's the PvP crowd, guessing more Chaos than Epic, as private PvP servers wouldn't be a simple as "set up and run" compared to a PvE one since you NEED at least SOME numbers, whereas a PvE one can be a 1-man thing.  *edit: my guess on chaos being less WU-friendly is based on Epic already kinda being a WU of its own.... KINDA...and it's just my guess*

Add to that folks who enjoy Wurm mainly because of the trading, and folks who pay everything via labor for silver.

Bad news is griefers are least likely to leave, but they'll also be easier to track down for a while.

Also, believe it or not, some of us PREFER hard mode.  Birdplane Isles MAY get some speed increase if I start from 0 again, or normal speed if I just copy my skill dump into my WU char stats.

Edited by Mordraug

I assume the client will be released in java if not then which language.

What programming language will the server be released in?

Much depends on what the two maps that are released look like. A map pack or maps as DLC would be a good way to make a few extra monies. I don't know how long it takes to make one but it would be a nice option for those who buy WU.

I assume the client will be released in java if not then which language.

What programming language will the server be released in?

I would assume Java as well, but it could be anything I suppose.

Much depends on what the two maps that are released look like. A map pack or maps as DLC would be a good way to make a few extra monies. I don't know how long it takes to make one but it would be a nice option for those who buy WU.

I think a procedural map generator would be better, makes everyone's experience unique

• Like 1

Will Wurm Unlimited require multiple purchases to play more than one character at a time? 

OK tons of questions, mostly about EXACTLY what you are planning to allow and how or if you will actively support world building.

First, there is much talk about MODing wurm -How far will you allow this to go. Generating custom maps has been thrown around a lot so Ill use it as an example.

I currently use WORLD CREATOR for some odd projects. And I would very much like to create maps for WU using this program as the detail one can get out of it is really astonishing -see GALLERY

1. Will you support this activity. By support I mean develop tools to automate import of maps made with external tools or will this be a we wont stop you as long as you can figure it out sort of thing?

2. If you are going to support it, can you briefly describe some technical limitations of wurm terrain rendering. Is it possible for wurm to support this level of detail? IE Shader support?

3. Will you be developing any tools so that we could say as an example use custom graphics for allready existing items. IE I dont like the low hedge graphic and I want to change that can I say for instance -

Go into Blender, import the exisiting low hedge, change the skin and export it back out and use it in the game? Using a CC developed tool to import this back into the game and set all its parameters where they need to be? Maybe even changing the sprout that you use to grow them? A  nice little UI for adding custom objects that allready exist in the DB?

4. Will we be able to Create new Items? Say for instance Trees. I would like to have a Date Palm for use around desert and coastal regions. Could we again go into a 3d modeling program, make our Date Palm and then export it out and add it to the game? Will you be developing tools to support this?

5. If you are going to support world building can any dev at all walk through a very very basic process of how you envision this to work.

Now all these questions assume that you are going to actively go towards and support MODing. If you look at the forums and the chats in game EVERYONE thinks modding will be the saviour of wurm...so EXACTLY how far are you planning to go with modding and what are some goals you have in mind for it?

Make no mistake, if your going to make the tools and support the modding of wurm, Ill spend the time and the money on dam good 3rd party programs and art packages to mod it. But I need to know what you are planning and how your planning to do it. I need to know what will be allowed initially and in the future. I am well aware it wont happen overnight but what are the plans for it. How far are you willing to let people go with it? How much will you support it?

This is an example of what I would like to do with the terrain in Wurm, can it handle it?

09FNlsY.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

So upon reading the announcement today I have to say that i was pretty floored.  Mind you not that this is something that is bad but just I never figured ROLF would get here.  But as soon as my mind settled down from pretty much a broadside to my concept of wurm and how it is the questions came flooding in.  SO I talked to alliance people and chat and here are some questions I have which may be relevant or not.

(1) Since people can make their own servers is there going to be server hosting?

(2) If there is going to be server hosting will it be a cost assosicated that Codeclub charges or we just find our own?

(3) Will there be a public list of all wurm server and will they be password protected if we need it?

(4) What kind of population limit will the servers have?

(5) In these servers with the population are we still dealing with the concept of deeds and protected land or is it just all land now that you settle?

(6) Will there be an ability to ban people that get out of hand?

(7) Will Codeclub still be pushing out updates and will they be free or cost?

(8) Will we be able to clone our current characters from wurm and use them on the servers?

(9) IF it is an option will cross server pvp raids be allowed?

(10) Will there be support chat or services for setting up the servers and technical assistance?

(11) Because we have creative mode advertised exactly how much does that cover as in just general landscape and buildings or can we design server with lands waters and the whole 9 yards?

(12) With this influx of players have u talked to NOTCH yet about his success doing this same thing and how he made it all work. ( ok im being a bit silly but I dont think its a bad idea to be honest).

(13) Due to the fact that your going from a monthly fee based model to a one time purchase model are there any plans to move wurm to a regular 3d engine providing financing allows and sales being good?

(14) With the move if population shrink on the main wurm server will their be a consolidation of servers?

(15) Will we be able to set skill gain levels on private servers in adventure mode or will that only be in creative mode?

Ok I can sit here for hours and think of more but some more critical questions are the following.

(1) ARE YOU  going to have a live video convesation with ROLF explaning his vision of this his plan for wurm since this changes the whole landscape?

(2) Are we going to have a live chat Q and A session with the Dev team and ask some tough questions?

(3)  Are we going to allow open source modifications and MODS to be allowed on private servers since it does not affect the main cluster?

I will wait for these then follow up but let it be know.. I LOVE WURM

Mind you this is kind of like being thrown out of a  plane with  a parachute making skill of 1 and being given the silk and strings and told GOOD LUCK NOOBIE trying to make a parachute before the ground and I do the death kiss.

How about replacing gfx packs and modding to the point one can create say... a Mad Max Online?

Still waiting to hear how he's going to integrate advertising wurm online. It would have been smarter just to make it "wurm offline" for 30-60 bucks and keep wurm online.

Edit: And pricing, if this is a $60 game or a $20 game. Can make a big difference. I'd be happy seeing it as $60 considering it's a one-time payment to all the content.

Make it $20 and sell a million or so ! :D

I confident more people want to be able to put fish in FSB then care about this. Its obviously important to a few PvP but buy no means is it crazy important to most players.

I'm reluctant to post this as It might start a war but i"m tried of a handfull of squeek wheel PvP making thier wishes seems so important.

• Like 5

Rolf, One point that I am unclear on. Can Wurm Unlimited single player version be played offline? I know with Skyrim after it is purchased on Steam it can be played offline and then just updated by logging on. Is this how WU single player will work as well?

=Ayes=

Whats the plan for content updates?

1. I.e. Is Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited going to be updated at the same time?
  2. Are some content updates (random none real example - 3d mines), going to be in forms of DLC - Honestly would be a smart move to make the big game changers be DLC while small things e.g. new trees be free
  3. If this is a success would you look at the possibility of producing / allowing higher resolution assets (possible good DLC)

So upon reading the announcement today I have to say that i was pretty floored.  Mind you not that this is something that is bad but just I never figured ROLF would get here.  But as soon as my mind settled down from pretty much a broadside to my concept of wurm and how it is the questions came flooding in.  SO I talked to alliance people and chat and here are some questions I have which may be relevant or not.

(1) Since people can make their own servers is there going to be server hosting?

This is a question wich awnsers itself. How else are you going to get a server?

(2) If there is going to be server hosting will it be a cost assosicated that Codeclub charges or we just find our own?

They have no prices yet.

(3) Will there be a public list of all wurm server and will they be password protected if we need it?

They will be since it will be you're server and its quite common to keep one private for a community if needed.

(4) What kind of population limit will the servers have?

Enough if u can afford a good server. 

(5) In these servers with the population are we still dealing with the concept of deeds and protected land or is it just all land now that you settle?

They said it will be same like wurm online but no cheat detection system. 

(6) Will there be an ability to ban people that get out of hand?

You can make people GM or urself to solve that problem.

(7) Will Codeclub still be pushing out updates and will they be free or cost?

What else will rolf be doing counting his money? This is not the end of wurm online so if wurm online gets updates Most likely WU will get those too.

(8) Will we be able to clone our current characters from wurm and use them on the servers?

Really is that a real question?

(9) IF it is an option will cross server pvp raids be allowed?

Like they said it is Your server wich will have its own rules and they are not connected to CURRENT Wurm Online servers.

(10) Will there be support chat or services for setting up the servers and technical assistance?

When they have it ready Code Club will probably not sell these servers but other company's that have them will and have there own support.

(11) Because we have creative mode advertised exactly how much does that cover as in just general landscape and buildings or can we design server with lands waters and the whole 9 yards?

There will probably be a Map editor/generator available when it releases. This is not certain it might create its own world on the making like minecraft i presume.

(12) With this influx of players have u talked to NOTCH yet about his success doing this same thing and how he made it all work. ( ok im being a bit silly but I dont think its a bad idea to be honest).

Rolf u can awnser that urself -.-

(13) Due to the fact that your going from a monthly fee based model to a one time purchase model are there any plans to move wurm to a regular 3d engine providing financing allows and sales being good?

Rolf u can awnser that urself -.-

(14) With the move if population shrink on the main wurm server will their be a consolidation of servers?

I doubt that he will merge all the servers together since that would only make more people leave.

(15) Will we be able to set skill gain levels on private servers in adventure mode or will that only be in creative mode?

You will be able to almost change everything you want since it is your own server. This means more likely people will start making mods for alot of things.

Ok I can sit here for hours and think of more but some more critical questions are the following.

(1) ARE YOU  going to have a live video convesation with ROLF explaning his vision of this his plan for wurm since this changes the whole landscape?

Why do we need one? He just trew this new announcement to us wich i doubt hes gonna make a video about his sort of vision.

(2) Are we going to have a live chat Q and A session with the Dev team and ask some tough questions?

(3)  Are we going to allow open source modifications and MODS to be allowed on private servers since it does not affect the main cluster?

-----> Again Private servers means Private this means code club is not responsible for mods. Since people are free to use their server as they want in most ways and may add things in there them selves.

As most questions where already awnsered by previous people and rolf himself. Ill just fill it in since i dont think rofl has time to do all questions.

Kind regards,

Devily.

Edited by Devily

OK tons of questions, mostly about EXACTLY what you are planning to allow and how or if you will actively support world building.

First, there is much talk about MODing wurm -How far will you allow this to go. Generating custom maps has been thrown around a lot so Ill use it as an example.

I currently use WORLD CREATOR for some odd projects. And I would very much like to create maps for WU using this program as the detail one can get out of it is really astonishing -see GALLERY

1. Will you support this activity. By support I mean develop tools to automate import of maps made with external tools or will this be a we wont stop you as long as you can figure it out sort of thing?

2. If you are going to support it, can you briefly describe some technical limitations of wurm terrain rendering. Is it possible for wurm to support this level of detail? IE Shader support?

3. Will you be developing any tools so that we could say as an example use custom graphics for allready existing items. IE I dont like the low hedge graphic and I want to change that can I say for instance -

Go into Blender, import the exisiting low hedge, change the skin and export it back out and use it in the game? Using a CC developed tool to import this back into the game and set all its parameters where they need to be? Maybe even changing the sprout that you use to grow them? A  nice little UI for adding custom objects that allready exist in the DB?

4. Will we be able to Create new Items? Say for instance Trees. I would like to have a Date Palm for use around desert and coastal regions. Could we again go into a 3d modeling program, make our Date Palm and then export it out and add it to the game? Will you be developing tools to support this?

5. If you are going to support world building can any dev at all walk through a very very basic process of how you envision this to work.

Now all these questions assume that you are going to actively go towards and support MODing. If you look at the forums and the chats in game EVERYONE thinks modding will be the saviour of wurm...so EXACTLY how far are you planning to go with modding and what are some goals you have in mind for it?

Make no mistake, if your going to make the tools and support the modding of wurm, Ill spend the time and the money on dam good 3rd party programs and art packages to mod it. But I need to know what you are planning and how your planning to do it. I need to know what will be allowed initially and in the future. I am well aware it wont happen overnight but what are the plans for it. How far are you willing to let people go with it? How much will you support it?

This is an example of what I would like to do with the terrain in Wurm, can it handle it?

bud, its java

Rolf, why did you choose this publisher in particular?

Edited by Propheteer