Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Frequently Asked Questions thread

Edit: And pricing, if this is a $60 game or a $20 game. Can make a big difference. I'd be happy seeing it as $60 considering it's a one-time payment to all the content.

graphics-lol-358887.jpg

Yea I'm sure the steamers wanna pay a small indie company the price of a AAA game like fallout 4. xD

edit: even minecraft that became a super hit went from 5€ -> 10€ -> 15€ and stopped at 20€.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 8

graphics-lol-358887.jpg

Yea I'm sure the steamers wanna pay a small indie company the price of a AAA game like fallout 4. xD

maybe i want it to be $60 so no one buys it :wub:

Will the single Player or Multiplayer versions go offline when you do, or does time still pass in game when your not playing?

IE: can I leave it for a week and come back to the same state I left it in.

How will this affect things like crop growth if so...As the game going offline whenever you do will mean crops and animals will take a lot of time in game to mature.

• Like 1

Will I be able to buy a copy of my characters from WO?

Will I be able to buy a copy of my deed from WO?

Will I be able to buy a copy of a selected servers pristine map?

Obviously, not a major deal, but would be nice, rather than having to replicate them, but it might be a viable income source.

Would it be possible to get release versions of current maps availabe as either downloads or even potentially DLC? Some of the current server maps look amazing and I think would be fun to play on fresh version of them. Maybe not PVP maps, but I cant think of a reason that Freedom maps couldn't be ported, unless there isn't an early enough backup/dump.

• Like 2

@ Rolf

i would be interessted in the spell mechanic... i mean in singleplayer its impossible to cast a spell who needs linking and 130 favor for one cast.

so how will you change that or will the spells just not be avaible?

@ Rolf

i would be interessted in the spell mechanic... i mean in singleplayer its impossible to cast a spell who needs linking and 130 favor for one cast.

so how will you change that or will the spells just not be avaible?

it was said that you could change things so i  presume we could change our max faith to say 200 and be able to solo cast those spells

Omg Wurm private servers!? I wish every MMO would do this. I'll sure buy it, I used to love this game... when I was in high school and had time to play it! I don't want to waste my life grinding numbers in a MySQL database. My main questions, like many others here it seems, revolve around how moddable it will be. I don't care if there's official support, but you did make it sound as if one could add custom maps if they knew how. I assume we won't have access to the entire server's source code, but what do we have access to and how much could someone change given enough time and effort?

• Like 1

will it be updated like the official server?

will I be able to edit character skill ? like if I want to recreate the character I have on the official server in my own private server?

in GM form can I create object like a longsword with a bunch of spell on it with the strength I want ?

will I be able to controle the spawn rate or normal creature and unique

will I be able to raise skill gain?

will I be able to shorten timer?

will I be able to tweak spell casting to make it more easy, higher success chance?

what I really want to know wil I be able to recreate the character, deed, item I have on the official server quickly without investing the same amount of time?

Edited by BlGpapa

How much dev time will this take away from the real game, Wurm Online?

Do you think there's any possibility that Wurm Online will come to steam as well in the future?

All wurm online coming to steam will do is have a different launcher this is wurm coming to steam maybe not in the form you though it was going to be but this is how they do it. 

Would it be possible to get release versions of current maps availabe as either downloads or even potentially DLC? Some of the current server maps look amazing and I think would be fun to play on fresh version of them. Maybe not PVP maps, but I cant think of a reason that Freedom maps couldn't be ported, unless there isn't an early enough backup/dump.

I would like to think that at least this would be doable by release no?  

• Like 1

If original dumps don't exist, using current server dumps could still work.

Granted, would take more work using either one's skills or GM tools to "erase" old terraforms but would still be a relatively "fresh" server.

Now, who's joining my private server!!!?

Guys?

Guys.... wait... come back..... aw man...

No this is a one time purchase on Steam.

I don't mean to create a negative post, as I've stuck with the game for forever and always love to see it prosper...

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but if this is the case, are you looking to remove the cost of playing Wurm Online if successful? What incentives do you have for the players of Wurm Online to continue paying premium costs to advance in the game and to purchase in game money?

From seeing private servers in the past, example - runescape, I've see communities of 300 people on a server, with your ability to link servers together, the ability to tweak things within the game code are you not concerned some creative geniuses create a successful servers which take your player base away from Wurm Online because it's a hell of a lot cheaper? (one off payment)

At the moment, I don't see any reason to continue paying a subscription once the one off payment goes live. Unfortunately I fear a larger player base (if 'unlimited' is successful, may not even have a larger player base anymore), centrally hosted servers (I imagine someone who owns the game can do this too), The 'no reset developer trust', and the already in place economy will not be enough to keep people with Online.

Edited by MetalDragon

We will not block you from monetizing. We will not explicitly allow you. So yes.

We are 5 employees and have no resources to manage testing a lot depending on what you are suggesting. We already have test servers for Wurm Online wich anyone can join using the client found at http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_test.jnlp.

The local servers will have pretty much all live server functionality but you can tweak variables using a GUI. We want to keep the code as similar as possible.

As I answered previously but which can not be overexplained: No - there will be no link between private and live servers.

Have you ever considered crowdsourcing parts of WO development in some sort of competitive or otherwise controlled manner? I wouldn't be surprised if some people out there would be willing to contribute their free time to WO development, sign non-disclosures, etc.

Will we be able to tweak some balance things, like for example taming multiple animals, faster tower guards, and such?

Hi Rolf,

Why did you not share this with the community and have us share our opinions and idea's for this?

You kept this as a secret to i think alot of developers and your loyal community who supported you all this time.

You trew a brick into the window for alot of people but did not share this.

All i ask is why did you do this? Alot of people have mixed feelings about it. Positive and less possitive feelings and we know you did not do this with a bad intention but alot of people have bad feelings at this moment.

Kind regards.

I have two more questions:

1) Do players still need to pay silver for deeding on these standalone servers? If so, where do players get it from? I assume silver bought in the shop cannot be used on those servers?

2) Secondly, if I host my own server, could I play on it by myself for a while and then open it up to other players at a later date? 

I don't mean to create a negative post, as I've stuck with the game for forever and always love to see it prosper...

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but if this is the case, are you looking to remove the cost of playing Wurm Online if successful? What incentives do you have for the players of Wurm Online to continue paying premium costs to advance in the game and to purchase in game money?

From seeing private servers in the past, example - runescape, I've see communities of 300 people on a server, with your ability to link servers together, the ability to tweak things within the game code are you not concerned some creative geniuses create a successful servers which take your player base away from Wurm Online because it's a hell of a lot cheaper? (one off payment)

At the moment, I don't see any reason to continue paying a subscription once the one off payment goes live. Unfortunately I fear a larger player base (if 'unlimited' is successful, may not even have a larger player base anymore), centrally hosted servers (I imagine someone who owns the game can do this too), The 'no reset developer trust', and the already in place economy will not be enough to keep people with Online.

I'll buy 4 servers, Maps all the size of chaos double the exp and never reset the servers (So 3 home servers + wild). I'll just ban exploiters and hackers and we can have wurm online without the bug abuse and getting away with it.

Pay the single cost to play, in-game economy will be done by pumping money into the game via creatures or allowing traders to consistently buy

my gm team will consist of kabill,fuel,madrocks,kellyt, and tonygreen

Edited by CubeManV2
  • Like 2

Will you be releasing something unique, like an "Original Gangsters" title for those of us apart of WO?

I'll buy 4 servers, Maps all the size of chaos double the exp and never reset the servers (So 3 home servers + wild). I'll just ban exploiters and hackers and we can have wurm online without the bug abuse and getting away with it.

Pay the single cost to play, in-game economy will be done by pumping money into the game via creatures or allowing traders to consistently buy

my gm team will consist of kabill,fuel,madrocks,kellyt, and tonygreen

see I'm sold already, I'm selling up and using the money to buy a copy

Hi,

I don't have an opinion about this yet. Must think of it, and must have more input.

But a question comes to mind:

Will there be a possibility to buy Wurm Unlimited without using Steam?

Thx! And have fun!

• Like 2

I'm very excited for this expansion of the game.

I feel like people who don't like it will return to the original, and those who don't like it without playing will never leave the original, therefore it won't have a bad turn out on the game's online servers.

Will also be waiting the night of the 21st.

One thing I do question though,

Whats the price range of the game?

Also for people who say "steam refunds can be submitted up until two weeks after purchasing!"

Have you ever done a steam refund? You have to have played the game for less than a few hours, and obviously if that's the

case you never intended to actually play the game in the first place. Usually its for games that are just not working on your pc / crash a lot etc.

Edited by Hatake