Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

wood alcohol

Initial purpose is a way to convert wood scraps into a usable lamp fuel via a labor intensive means, but later it opens the door to other distillation

Could be included under Alchemy/Natural Substances, or seen as an entry level into BREWING skill

methyl-alcohol-250x250.png

HISTORY OF WOOD ALCOHOL

In their embalming process, the ancient Egyptians used a mixture of substances, including methanol, which they obtained from the pyrolysis of wood. Pure methanol, however, was first isolated in 1661 by Robert Boyle, when he produced it via the distillation of buxus (boxwood) It later became known as "pyroxylic spirit". In 1834, the French chemists Jean-Baptiste Dumas and Eugene Peligot determined its elemental composition. 

They also introduced the word "methylene" to organic chemistry, forming it from Greek methy = "wine" + hȳlÄ“ = wood (patch of trees), with Greek language errors: "wood (substance)" (Greek Î¾Ïλον, xylon) was intended, and the components are in the wrong order for Greek. The term "methyl" was derived in about 1840 by back-formation from "methylene", and was then applied to describe "methyl alcohol". This was shortened to "methanol" in 1892 by the International Conference on Chemical Nomenclature.[41] The suffix -yl used in organic chemistry to form names of carbongroups, was extracted from the word "methyl".

How to Make Wood Alcohol Through Distillation

All of your scrap wood and paper clippings can be turned into a fuel source that you can use around your home. Distilling wood is an excellent way to turn old scraps in to something useful again. Methanol or wood alcohol is the liquid chemical that wood gives off when it is distilled. It is used in antifreeze and it can be used to produce biodiesel as well.

Things You'll Need

• A fire pit or propane burner

• A large metal pot with a lid

• Cooking thermometer

• Metal tube

• Wood and paper shavings

• Metal container

Instructions

1. Obtain a heat source for your distilling. This could be a fire pit or a propane or natural gas burner. You can also use an electric burner.

2. Mount a large pot over the temperature source. Put a thermometer in the pot to track the temperature of the wood and water mixture. The thermometer will be important for making sure the temperature of the mixture stays at the right level throughout the distillation.

3. Obtain a condenser tube and drill a hole in the lid of your pot that is sized to the tube. A condenser tube is a metal tube that the alcohol travels through as it evaporates. Attach the condenser tube to your lid.

4. Attach the other end of your condenser to an additional pot or bucket that will serve as your holding container. Ensure that this container is covered to prevent the loss of alcohol.

5. Place your wood shavings in to the pot and fill with water. Heat it until you reach 78.3 degrees Celsius and keep it at that temperature. As the wood breaks down, it will release alcohol into the condenser tube and slowly drip down into your holding container. You can distill the alcohol again to improve its purity.

Tips & Warnings

• Perform this procedure outdoors in a well-ventilated area.
  • Wear protective gear and stand away from the pot while the wood is distilling.

• Like 5

Holy Snoek.

Take my money. +1

Anyone else, making a suggestion, and not doing it with this kind of thought, must not press "submit".

Edited by Marlon

nah I just copy-pasted text from the included E-How & Wikipedia articles,  then just cleaned up the formatting heh :P  

lazy mans posting system \o/

• Like 1

No I just like the idea of organizing information into ways that are easily comprehended and remembered  ... mostly because I have a very hard time sometimes learning/remembering new information, so the "process" of how people acquire and organize information, and then attach that information to knowledge they already have,  is really intriguing to me :D  At home I can take apart a computer to the last screw and reassemble it and if it does not run, I can sit back and figure out why not and solve the issue. But I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how to help my 85 year old mother get her "missed call" messages off her cell phone. And if she ever hits the wrong button on her TV remote, or accidentally resets the time clock on the microwave, we are both helpless unless someone younger is home visiting for the weekend lol.  But that's also partly because I like computers and I do not like cellphones or televisions. Still, they explain it to me and I forget. Then they explain it again and I forget again ;)

Do not EVER give me an excuse to ramble. I will take that opening and run for the endzone with it \o/

• Like 2

Love the idea.

As far as rambling. I've been following and loving it. For many years. I stated being a Brash fan when "unrepentant archer" was the go to Web site for AC 1 tips.

• Like 2

+1. Another use for woodscraps is never a bad thing, and this is a damn good one.

+1 Oktoberfest anyone? Cept for Wurm :P maybe make it so you can combine different drinks to make a new one

+1 one for Brashs idea.

Myself I'd like to be able to take birch sap also to make birch wine...