Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

Free real estate showings for new players wanting to 'deed'

New players...

There are quite a bit of new people coming into my local from time to time, and then the occasional posts asking where to settle (i prefer this over the term 'deed', since the word deed means a document. Living on your deed, is kind of... ruining it and making the ink smudge, but enough fun).

They all have requirements, some don't know what they want, but we can help them. Others go as far as wanting to stay in a shack, away from any deed.

I have helped a few by inviting them to my area and showing them the lay of the land, where mines are, where water can be found, forests and dangers.

With this post, I want to invite any new players wishing to find a place, to contact me in game if you need help. I know large parts of Independence now, years of galloping around helped. While I prefer staying closer to the inside/central parts (I can get to slick, cybaru, gumbo, black dog, FM, DFM, steppe in relatively short time), I won't mind helping with the more southern areas either.

I also want to invite other players to do the same in their areas, maybe list yourself on this post, or a post like this, so they can find us, PM us and we can get them sorted. Some think they need to live by the coast, when inland living can have great rewards and vibes! So we can help them understand what they need and if they really need to live near 50 tar tiles.

I know of so many great places in my area, and I wouldn't mind neighbours around the hill. Raw and wild, or flat and previously terraformed. Foresty, sandy, rocky, let me know. 

I am north of dragon fang mountain, so not too hard. I might be available some days to pick you up in the large cart of doom, and bring you over too.

But do move in, Independence *bias!* awaits you.

• Like 3

I had once thought it would be nice, once a month maybe, to have a Pioneer Sunday.

A group of armed experienced players take a horses-and-cart (or many carts) with some jumpstart resources (bricks, clay, lumber, nails, barrels of water)  and meet at one of the spawning areas, inviting all new players interested to come along.   Find a spot (scouted in advance) where they can put a guard tower in the center and "rough prep"  enough land for 3-6 homesteads, doing any hard/rough terraforming that might be completely beyond the ability of the newbies, but leaving untouched most of the wilderness. In the center, build a Community Hall 3x3 with a forge, loom, bed. Find a spot outside to place a well for community water, a single community mine. Maybe they find iron and maybe they don;t, its a start.  A team of experienced stonemasons, diggers, woodcutters, miners and carpenters can do all of this in a few hours.  Leave it mostly rough and unfinished however. Do NOT build any houses, fences, anything but a guard tower, a community center, a well and a mine.   A "sponsoring" experienced veteran who lives roughly in the area (within an hour), holds the writ for at least 3-6 months to ensure it stays in the hands of someone who is permanent, but it is permissions to allow All Kingdom access.  Preferable a spot remote or completely abandoned or at minimum, that has the wholehearted support of any existing deeds. Nothing that is crammed down the throats of existing nearby settlements. Any new players who want to make a new start there, stay behind. They can stay in the community Hall under the shadow of the guard tower until they build their own new homestead sites nearby. They all agree in advance to welcome any new neighbors to that spot. That was the deal. The veterans ALL return to the starting spawn with any new players who decide not to stay. The new players who stayed behind are now completely on their own, a new community bound together by their inexperience.  It's not a single village but a homestead cluster of independent players. All of them new. If some want to team up and others want to stay solo, they all can. If some want to deed and others don;t, they all can. Everyone agrees to never deed over the COMMUNITY CENTER + well + mine  so it can forever be useful to any passing traveler or new settler, try to keep them in repair as a local volunteer effort, and to try to resolve all future disputes amiably. There will be some disputes, eventually. There always are. That's their problem now and the veterans stay out of it. 

The next month, the veteran players pick a new starting spawn for that months Pioneer Sunday. The cart goes out again into the wilderness and spends the entire day there. A new community site to be built.  Twelve over the course of one year.  Different servers or regions each time.  Would need one good organizer and a team of semi-local volunteers to work out -- dates, areas, advanced publicity. 

This is a little different than your idea (which is a perfect counterpoint) of individual veteran players helping individual new players, across all servers all regions with no schedule.  Help a newbie find a spot, it can be 30-40 minutes away from your own place if you want no neighbors, but you probably know good places out there better than they do. 

One important thing I think for veterans to remember -- don't have hidden strings on your "gift." Don't expect them to be ever grateful to you. A true gift is one that has zero strings or expectation, it is truly a gift and not a vague favor you can benefit from later down the road.  They don't have to like you, of feel indebted, or even remember what you once did for them. It's a real GIFT. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 8

Well said Brash.

Your idea is quite magnificent. One that can be done when we can get the larger groups joining at a time.

I am going to give this some more thought. There are some big-settlement/vets/hard-asses that I have spoken to with ideas for new players, so the ideas are all good.

Now just to apply them...

Anyone new on exodus wishing to start a deed I would be more than happy to find them a good spot to start out at or drive them around till they see something they like, location is everything and I find new players all to often plunk the stake down in the first spot they discover to later learn resources they need are no where near there new deed.

I consider resources #1 then appeal of the location for #2, no point in making a deed if they place is ugly or too far beyond terraforming to make it livable.

• Like 2

Marlon,

At first glance your idea is a positive one but I prefer to handle each individual individually and not make a blanket advertisement of being the person to come to for finding a place to settle within the Local area.

Brash's suggestion is a pretty nice one for those who want to devote time to it and yet it requires future oversight in at least pointing new players to that spot so that they can settle there for a time if they choose.

I did something similar to this on Deliverance behind my deed in a free area by making stone wall enclosures without gates that new players or anyone just had to build their own gate to secure it. Then they could build anything they wanted inside of it. The mine was right next to this into the mountain and I had cobble roads running throughout so everything was accessible. A Guard Tower for help was next to this on my perimeter.

Still, it required me being around a lot to make it known that these spots were available and answer some basic questions. Being that Deliverance was fairly new at the time and this was close to the starter Village of Green Dog, many players did settle there for a time to learn the game and then move on as they desired, some even to their own deeds.

Eventually I diverted my attention elsewhere, new players went to new servers opened and I just deeded that whole area since there was now so much open land abandoned nearby. A been there done that kind of thing for me which I don't have much interest in doing in the future, other than on occasion with a newer player whose plight appeals to me on some basis.

Both your and Brash's ideas are good ones though and hopefully will produce some positive results.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

>stone wall enclosures without gates that new players or anyone just had to build their own gate to secure it

That is a pretty good idea since new players will likely make low quality gates that decay away quickly if they leave the game, while your sturdy stone walls will remain and keep the basic building areas marked off for the next user. No fighting over who is using which area or overlapping into an area that another person was using. Someone could make a similar  "free enclosed 10x10 lots" for new players using the "you have to add the gate" system, and then making sure there is a mine, a well, a guard tower and maybe a community crafting center nearby till they get their own place finished, That gives them plenty of room for house garden and cow, plus good odds of other "new player neighbors" they can chat with, without forcing any social interaction if they prefer no village or alliance affiliations, Someplace closee bough to a start spawn so they can get back home easily if they die. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I like Brash's idea.

Also if anyone is looking for a place to settle around west Xanadu, i have space for days around here.

Both waterfront and secluded inland/hilltop areas. Most of it probably never touched by the hand of a wurmian.

Some digging might be required but nothing too crazy.

If anyone is interested - PM me.

Edited by bdew