Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Many chat channel changes and client update

I don't see why players should be punished for not checking a window for 3 minutes. I mean if a player is macroing they will continue to queue actions even after a gm popup message occurs. These are the players who should be banned. Not the people who start shield training/fishing and alt tab to another toon or watch a youtube video.  You might as well just log players out for 3 minutes' inactivity at this point.

If you stack a queue of actions and go AFK, when that queue ends you will be standing there doing nothing until you return. When you return you will obviously be looking at your screen to begin new actions and thus would see any pop up or whatever. I

Just for clarification. I often run multiple characters on one machine and in order to minimize performance impact and reduce display space as much as possible most clients will have the chat window hidden. My primary character always has chats open in this case.

Is this an actual pop-up message that appears like a dialog box or are we talking about a new tab appearing in the chat window? My concern is that with the chat window hidden I wouldn't see the tab at all if a message was left for me to answer.

~Nappy

It's like opening a container or getting a med question, a box window like that

• Like 1

I don't see it listed in the changes, but can we revert the change to number alignment in windows (ql, dmg, weight, etc)? It makes no sense at all to line it up to the left. At the very least, give us a toggle to put it back how it should be.

Image for those who haven't seen / don't know what I mean:

5292460890.jpg

• Like 5

Will it be a window that doesn't let you click 'send' without choosing something so we don't get banned for having a sudden popup on where we were about to click?

I don't see it listed in the changes, but can we revert the change to number alignment in windows (ql, dmg, weight, etc)? It makes no sense at all to line it up to the left. At the very least, give us a toggle to put it back how it should be.

Image for those who haven't seen / don't know what I mean:

5292460890.jpg

Thanks, i had not noticed that..

Its from a fix i did so text is not right aligned, looks like my number check is incorrect.

It's a multiple choice thing like meditation or picking numbers from a bsb

Bsb lets you click send without choosing anything since something is chosen by default... I hope this one will make you have to choose to send so we don't have to worry about a send button appearing on where we click while doing our daily activities

Edit: It would also be nice if the window is easily distinguished from our already opened windows (maybe colourful and such) so we don't have to spend more time looking at windows than playing the game

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 2

Perhaps it is worded strangely but its not nearly as scary as one may think.

If you stack a queue of actions and go AFK, when that queue ends you will be standing there doing nothing until you return. When you return you will obviously be looking at your screen to begin new actions and thus would see any pop up or whatever. If you are standing AFK doing nothing obviously you wont be expected to answer a pop up. If you are not answering a pop up after 30 actions something will start to look suspicious. The 3 mins isn't some hard cap its just a general example to make sure that people are aware they need to not be stacking queues and queues and queues without at least glancing at the screen between.

Hopefully this explains it a little better, things like shield training are not even actions so please don't panic it is only asking that people do try to pay attention between queues.

Yet shield training is still specifically mentioned in the Wurm Rules post.

When performing actions that you start more seldom and take a long time to finish (such as fishing or training shields) you still need to verify that you have a valid target now and then when starting the action which should be no problem.

I am not sure what valid target I am supposed to be verifying while shield training.  Maybe I am doing it wrong.  Me standing in one spot for hours/days letting a creature hit me.  The only things I typically have to verify is whether or not I am dead, the horse is dead, and do I have stamina. 

***it's hour 5, and this horse is still hitting me... whoo hoo this active gameplay excitement is killing me.***

This would not even be an issue if gaining shield skill while actively hunting was more effective.  I would MUCH rather be hunting than using the current suggested system.

Perhaps if the gameplay experience was inherently more engaging versus lending itself so easily towards the queueing of actions whilst playing other games or watching TV, this would be less of an issue. I'm not condoning someone automating endless prayers or spell casts or any number of other actions of an exploitive nature, but maybe the game producers should better understand their own game and their customer base (not to mention communicating more clearly) before they do these things. There's a difference between casual gameplay in a game that has non-engaging mechanics and setting up botting apps to automate for hours on end - let's use some common sense.

What happened to the common practice of issuing a warning (perhaps even a suspension of an avatar for a month,etc) before permanent banning, especially if you intend to scrutinize more closely?

It seems more and more the goal is to drive people away than to draw them to the game.

Feel free to flame away.

Edited by Kruggan
  • Like 8

How about the GM staff work with Dev staff to find ways to make the actions you are threatening to ban people over more interesting and less time consuming so people don't feel compelled to go afk during them?  

Being that Wurm is such a low population game, less than 10,000 active players, choosing to ban players as your primary form of discipline for going afk is a horrible decision for your business model.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 3

All I got from the rule clause was that one should after a queue of actions has finished or before queuing more, that the action is still valid. e.g if you mining by queuing actions you should check the wall is still there before you queue more.

:blink: What about when afk sailing across Xanadu?  Depending on the direction and speed of the breeze, there's a 1.5 to 5+ hours of your life you're not getting back.

• Like 1

How about the GM staff work with Dev staff to find ways to make the actions you are threatening to ban people over more interesting and less time consuming so people don't feel compelled to go afk during them?

Being that Wurm is such a low population game, less than 10,000 active players, choosing to ban players as your primary form of discipline for going afk is a horrible decision for your business model.

Well spoken

• Like 1

Added possibility to align player rotation with mount rotation (toggled off by default).

Where would this be located to enable it? Does this apply to riding on large carts as well? I guess this would mean that while riding on a large cart the driver will always be looking forward as the cart turns or changes direction? If so a great option, since 3 hands are rarely available to adjust up/down, turn view left/right, and turn cart left/right simultaneously.

=Ayes=

If you don't see it, you getting a perma ban or for how long?

I'm adoring all the new changes, thanks guys. But I have one (and only one) gripe - the COLOR!

trade.jpg

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

I'm adoring all the new changes, thanks guys. But I have one (and only one) gripe - the COLOR!

I'll make the colour a bit darker, before it was too blue and this one is too white

• Like 1

It's like opening a container or getting a med question, a box window like that

That's a problem because if you queue for another popup window to open (e.g. checking meditation path leaders) and the GM pop up shows before the other, that's a case where you'll get the time-out message when you attempt to interact with the macro check window, resulting in a situation where it looks like you're macroing since the GM never gets a response.

This is a problem with the way the pop up windows are designed currently but just shows that this isn't perfect and needs a better design to protect innocent players.

Edited by Laiwyn

If you did miss the activity check popup for a period of time, would you at least get a warning or something? As it is right now the rule says you get a straight up perma ban.

I think warning/s should be given and it stated in the punishment part of this rule.

The negative aspect of players stressing that they have to pay 100% attention outweighs the seeming to be lenient on this by giving warnings.

With the amount of time and effort and the value of players characters the threat of perma ban should be used carefully.

Edited by Omar

A popup box seems unnecessary, if you feel I'm breaking the rules, you can engage me in chat prior to removing my ability to play your game.

I have quite a bit of stamina and skill, I can finish 6 minutes of flattening on a timer, while I have no worries, I feel that the playerbase is small enough and the amount of macroing is very small you can go invisible and hang out and watch offenders for a time to make a call whether macroing is occurring or not, same as we did as guides in EQ years ago.

Simyaci, the pop up does not have a pre selected option.

The pop up is not the only thing that determines a penalty or not it is just one of the things used in a process. All that we are asking is that people pay some attention between their queues, the pop up is not new by any means and most people will never even see one in their game life to be honest.

Perhaps it is worded strangely but its not nearly as scary as one may think.

If you stack a queue of actions and go AFK, when that queue ends you will be standing there doing nothing until you return. When you return you will obviously be looking at your screen to begin new actions and thus would see any pop up or whatever. If you are standing AFK doing nothing obviously you wont be expected to answer a pop up. If you are not answering a pop up after 30 actions something will start to look suspicious. The 3 mins isn't some hard cap its just a general example to make sure that people are aware they need to not be stacking queues and queues and queues without at least glancing at the screen between.

Hopefully this explains it a little better, things like shield training are not even actions so please don't panic it is only asking that people do try to pay attention between queues.

Thanks SmeJack,

I was second guessing even logging in until this was further clarified.

And sorry this may not be the place for it, but a permanent avatar ban with no warning at all is seriously tough.

I said it years ago and will say it again, I highly recommend one warning with a temporary 30 day ban be issued instead.

People mess up, we're people. But just because we mess up once, doesn't mean we are inherently evil and deserve utter destruction.

It's a techie world with I imagine a lot of techie players. Those techie players coming in fresh will not grasp the severity until its too late. And i'm guessing that will result in a permanently lost player. If its changed to a 30 day temporary ban for the first offense, you will both teach the new player and possibly gain their respect and loyalty.

Game design note:

The game is designed around skill gained through actions and queues are given. Like others have said, if the intention is to have the player be more engaged in playing the game, it sounds like the logical course of action would be to make the game's actions more engaging. EQ2 "wack-a-mole" crafting system or some variant comes to mind.

Edit: Fixed my grammar and added game design note. :P

Edited by Tuanta

Sign in to follow this