Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

Champion dogs (and others) - Current situation

Hey wurmians

I want to better understand the prevalence of creatures out there at the moment.

We are looking for champion dogs, and as I understand, they do not spawn in the wild anymore?

Is this true, or what is the situation with them these days?

Do any other champion creatures spawn? Can they still be bred?

Thanks

marlon

• Like 1

Poorly documented change but from what I heard through the grapevine was that they removed the spawn rocks for some creatures. Champion creatures can only spawn in the wild if they spawn from a spawn rock. I don't know if they removed the "dog holes" or not.

• Like 1

Aye, champion mobs (and all other critters with an animal condition: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Animal_condition) can only spawn from lairs. None of the "domestic" animals (dogs, cows, bulls, horses, bison, deer, etc.) have a lair. Many naturally aggressive mobs have lairs (but not all of them, case in point: hell hound).

Ah, thought so. Unsure why 'variety' is removed like this, but there must be a reason.

Does make finding them harder, and scary, if they all die, they will be gone :(

Ah, thought so. Unsure why 'variety' is removed like this, but there must be a reason.

Does make finding them harder, and scary, if they all die, they will be gone :(

The current mechanic makes it actually easier to find them. All you need to do is to find large grasslands or steppes, cause that's where the "domestic" animals spawn (yes, with the possible exception of the odd spawning mechanic in southern Xanadu). Concerning grasslands there's a catch though: forests tend to take over meadows and grasslands over time. It's task of the players in a region to maintain their grasslands by cutting down the trees to prevent forests from invading the grasslands.

If the domestic mobs would spawn from lairs you'd get a lot of them in one region (where a lair happens to be) and next to none in other regions.

• Like 1

Some good info there, thanks (especially for grassland).

Didn't know hellhounds didn't spawn openly.

Guess it's time then to make a WTB champ doggy post :)

Thanks for all the feedback

Yep on grasslands. There's a grassland nearby one of my deeds and I see dogs roaming through my deed all the time. Sadly I haven't seen any lairs in a long time :(

Mmm, just realised that it seems most of you thought I was referring to ordinary dogs, but specifically, champion dog spawning. :)

I havent seen a champion anything in over a year on inde, various other critters seem extinct as well .. dont recall the last time i saw a unicorn for example .. spawns seem generally snafu to me

• Like 1

@scottfree i think you mean fubar?  

and to op best ql pendulum with lurker in the woods

may help some

Champ dogs no longer can be found in the wild. you can try buying from a breeder, most of the old servers have one. On Indy try Gumbo

I have found wild champ mountain lions and have heard of wild cats lately, so champs do still occur in the wild (on inde)

I wish this wasn't the case. It makes very little sense.

I understand the art reasons for doing so, but I really wish all conditioned animals still existed. Very small amount of effort to implement. Very large amount of content for breeders and collectors.