Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

What does your server mean to you?

The lands of Wurm are large, larger now than they ever were before. I've traveled to many islands across the map, and each one seems to be unique in its own way. The Wurmpedia Team is asking all of you to tell us a little bit about your home in Wurm. Where do you live in these lands, and why? Is it the mountains or wildlife? Do the people there keep you coming back, or do you prefer a more solitary life? If you could give one or two sentences to a new player that describes the best things about your home, what would they be?

This is open to all servers, but for Chaos and Elevation, I would ask that you think outside of the warfare that is made in those lands, and think about the majesty or beauty that the lands hold. Try to remember that this isn't going to be for recruitment purposes, but to help describe the landscape and qualities of the entire server.

The scope of this project is to crowd source a paragraph or two for each server, so be as descriptive as you want and don't worry about repeating what others have said.

I had posted this before in the Wurmpedia section, but I hope that this reaches more of you. Feel free to click on that link and see what has already been said. We will be using replies from both threads when we tailor the paragraphs.

Thank you!

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 1

Elevation is flat and ugly, no mountains, barely high enough to make a mine before you hit water. Woudln't visit unless for the pvp.

but our homeservers are beautifull too :(

I think Keenan means "be open minded" and don't focus solely on PvP.

but our homeservers are beautifull too :(

Describe them as well! I should have mentioned Elevation and Chaos, not Epic. Will change in my post. As Marni said, that's exacty what I mean. Those servers are highlighted as being PvP already, but what else makes them different and beautiful? You don't have to completely leave out the combat that takes place, but I'm just hoping some find other things to mention. Chaos, for example, is one of the few places where I have seen whole populated areas return to nature in Wurm. That is a side effect from the combat, but it has made something beautiful as well. I also know that Elevation was recently reset, but there must be something about it that is favorable?

Also, if you find yourself living in more than one place, then feel free to describe them all. The reason we we're looking for residents of these lands is because some of the best parts of a server can't be seen by simply sailing on by or taking a main road. That doesn't mean you have to pick one. I described both Chaos and Exodus in my reply to the older thread.

Edited by Keenan

I started off on Deliverance, and joined a village that had rules that limited what you could do in a very big way. After a few months I lost interest in Wurm and moved on to other games.

One day a friend of mine mentioned that he was playing wurm and that he had a nice town set up, so I decided to log in and visit him. He was over in Exodus so I set forth from the North side of Deli on a trip that turned into the longest one I had done yet on Wurm. Eventually I locate my friends deed on Exodus, but it was a shock. I left a server that was largely settled and found myself in a place lacking in such things as running water he was living in very barbaric conditions without any of the basic amenities at all. There was a troll waiting to stomp me behind every tree, things were wild.

It took a few months, but we manage to tame the wilderness and bring some civilization over to our little corner of Exodus.

I have grown to enjoy Exodus and don't think I could move to another Freedom server, I have built something and left my mark on Exodus and that is what I love about that server. It is not overly populated and there is room to roam, it is a nice size so that you do not spend days traveling from one side to the other.

• Like 2

Chaos best server ever- Can do anything you like, no drama like who took my sheep out. 

Deliverance- Best PVE server. Connected to all side. Can travel everywhere from deli. Also home of some of the most powerful players and can buy everything on deli.

I live on JKH

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

not much else to it

Edited by MisterTeddy
  • Like 1

arrived on deli to room with friends as i learned the game. i live in central deli and there is everything i need as far as materials available in abundance, the hunting is great, easy access to most parts of the island. also it is a quiet area not devoid of people but neighbors are not encroaching upon me. i love my area of deli

• Like 1

Not to be negative on an otherwise positive thread, but I fail to see how each server is unique. It is my great hope for the future of Wurm that the servers and regions of the servers will showcase slightly different environments.

There is great - but random -variation within each server, but no variation among servers. There are 3-4(?) additional mob species on Chaos, that's it. Why go anywhere else?

Edited by Cista

I play on all the freedom servers except chaos but I really like indy out of them all - has good people.

I also know that Elevation was recently reset, but there must be something about it that is favorable?

Its flat, large and open landscapes allow battlefields to form pretty much anywhere on the larger islands and the lack of internal chokepoints for large areas allow people to roam pretty freely.

To the diffrense of chaos, Elevation was designed with naval warfare in mind and thus there is plenty of waterways to travel.

Continenets are separated, but close enough to allow bridges to span across and thus strategic positions are formed in kingdom vs kingdom warfare.

Elevation also has a lot of lesser islands suitable for smaller groups that wish to form PMKs or simply keep themself a bit more distanced from others.

Edited by Zekezor

Xanadu is the best, its young and fresh, near unlimited room to grow. Other servers are boring and stale. 

Every plot of land that isn't a man-made island, was at one time, owned by another player.

There are remnants of terraforming, deeds, buildings, plantations, and mines that echo throughout the years.

Independence is Wurm's longest living PvE server, and, though it's not as old as Wild, there was a lot more development, decay, and redevelopment. This server has truly evolved the most of any server in Wurm.

• Like 1

Independence was our first home, for 2 years. 

We moved to Xanadu, for less than a year, but came back to Independence eventually, and have resettled an enormous, brand new, settlement on Independence with my fiancee and a returning villager.

Over the years, we have travelled Indy flat, we keep finding new raw, unterraformed terrain, and we always say that we don't understand the notion that there is none. Indy is sufficiently small, but greatly large enough. We have some of the longest time players here, the stormies, the black dog folks, the ever evolving mystery lake coast.

The thing I love the most, is the history. I stumble on to decays and ruins that once thrived, and you can almost cut the eerieness in the air.  Then around the hill, you find a whole new village. 

I haven't been to deliverance, but it would be something I might have chosen, if it wasn't for the complete rebuild of a new settlement here on Indy. I would like to see more frequent neighbours in local, and I guess Indy is a little large for that, but wherever we have gone, there are always someone in Local that pass through. Indy sees a bit of travel, it's old, it's solid, and the landscape is beautiful. 

The ONE thing that I couldn't find on any other server, is that creepy, being followed feeling when going anywhere on Indy. Someone has always been here, either long ago, with their spirits lingering in the shape of the land, or the ruins of their castles, or somewhere is near, with a campfire, staring at you with his noobie clothing, quietly.

Dairuka is right in saying, it's very evolving server.

Edited by Marlon

Port Monito, Independence

j5TyoQv.png

Early 2011:

I started Wurm and became villager of Exile's Gate village. During my first months the area of exploration was slowly expanding for me, until I found the spot for my village. That spot was known already and was marked on Community Map as "Eorzea" village. They had left behind several big houses which one of them was sturdy stone building, housing a trader within.

Mid 2011:

While being a villager already, I had no interest in founding my own village. It was the trader inside that building that kept my curiosity as older players teach me how good money the are. I had kept my eye on that place decaying for half a year when I made the decision to "make a move" and started building buildings and walls around the still-standing traders house, mostly to block view so anyone passing by would only see construction and not a prospect of acquiring free trader.

Late 2011:

I found my village called "Port Monito" which was positioned in not-so-central location of the area, as the old trader-house was still standing and blocking my free village placement, but it already had gotten holes in its walls to allow me gain access to everything inside. It took another month of waiting to have last parts of those old Eorzea buildings to finally fall completely. During these times I was Exiled from Exile's Gate due to disagreement whether or not its "Ok" for villager to have an alt which is a mayor of a village.

The old buildings left plans, which did not go away. GM visited Port Monito and with thunderstrikes the house plans were gone, and I was free to expand my village to cover the whole spot.

During 2012-2013

My "great highway" project. I do love highways, especially good highways. With help of some of my allies, I made very straight highway to go around Port Monito, and extended it by cutting "trough" the mountain in order to bypass a tunnel passage that served as "main highway" before.

Red Square is Port Monito, Yellow overdraw shows how old highway was going around and trough Port Monito. New highway marked with red arrows was constructed.

It took over a year of surfacemining over the mountain to make it straight and flat 3+2 (3+1 at highest point at mountain cutting) wide highway:

O7D6fB7.png

Mid-Late 2013:

Port Monito became the Leading actor in our powerful alliance and after series of events decided to leave the alliance. We had futile attempt to establish "South Coast" trading partner network as old allies together covered most of the SW of Independence coast. Port Monito ended up as member of non-acting alliance, a collection of friends and has ever since remained that way.

In past ~1.5 years Port Monito established as a place that "is allways there". Several members of alliance have abandoned their villages, cutting costs and chores, and became villagers.

Port Monito currently is a workshop constantly producing high quality enchanted tools, armors and weapons.

Future plans:

NW section of Village is a mountain hill up. We are going to mine it flat to make whole village a big flat square.

Thats all about Port Monito I could think of in this morning. :)

• Like 4

Celebration is synonymous with two things for me. The fronteer experience and water.

Being the southernmost server, Celebration has most likely the lowest population and a lot of untamed land. Here, most of us don't live in large congregated communities, but in large estates spread all over the map and often remote from each other. There is a robust network of roads here to connect everyone, so unlike Xanadu, your isolation is mostly self-imposed. The people who live on Celebration remind me of hardened fronteer pioneers, very self-reliant and able to handle themselves alone.

Celebration's geography is also quite unique. We have strategic waterways that criss-cross our server and separate our land masses. Due to that, our server is very much a waterworld. Here, you will just as likely use your ship as your cart and even today with bridges present you need to be a sailor to move around with ease. The waters can be treacherous as well, with many shallow reefs, so experience is quickly gained - often the hard way - while moving around.

Yet above all, Celebration is beautiful. With many uninhabited shores and lands, covered in huge forests and rolling plains, full of game and great hunting, it has a majesty that melts into one's heart. Our community is not large and very spread out, and while we do have occasional drama like everyone else, it's full of great people who have been here for a long time and love our land. Your neighbors here are not close by, so you treasure them all the more when they visit you. Many have tried Celebration and decided to move to the more populated servers. But those who stayed... stayed out of love.

PS: I am getting sentimental in my old age, forgive. But Celebration will do that to you.

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 8

One word: "History". I try to explain what I mean with that Word.

Wurm is unique in that sense, that you can have direct impact on your surroundings. That means that pretty much everyone, who plays Wurm leaves a mark on the server, be it only one paved tile. Even the road, that has "always been there" is a work of some individual, or a group of people.

That is what makes Independence for me special. I have a reference point from the time I started here. And it is interesting to see how the surroundings have been constantly evolving since then. People come and people go, but everyone has their own "handwriting". Places, which years ago were full of people are now covered with forest and vice versa.

Also with almost everything you see, there is a story involved. Some are good and some are not so good, but even when the players who have been involved in the story have quit, you still see the remnants of those stories.

• Like 3

So I started playing wurm with my friend some years ago. We picked Exodus server because I guess it sounded nice? Well that was the start. After wandering around for some time we realised that we want to find some not terraformed nor in any way habitable place. And where did we end up? Edge of the big desert. Yep. That was the perfect choice if we wanted to get constantly harassed by crocodiles, scorpions and all the other beatiful desert wildlife. And we were. Not that it affected our attitude to the game - it was always quite a laugh, well, besides getting back from the starter village in case of dying - and that happened a lot. Eventually we found out that there was some veteran hunters lodge near by - they took my friend for journeys sometimes (I was usually offline at that part of the day but I enjoyed his screenshots afterwards).

Some time has passed and we decided to look for some nicer place to live. And again we didnt want something that was previously terraformed or looked like someone lived here. Of course we saw a lot of places that met our requirements but we continued searches. I was quite astonished by all the architecture I've met - like, how much time people even spent on doing these? Lastly we found some nice mountain - and while there were some people on the shores, the very top of it was completely untouched. That was the moment i realised: that is the place where I want to live! I'm gonna mine a maze in that mountain! Well, the moment of realisation was somewhat disturbed by some aged troll wandering around in the woods (guard towers were on the shores only). That and all the other silly deaths like falling off the edge of mountain happened a lot afterwards.

And that is the new chapter of my story. We stayed on that mountain and terraformed the top of it. I wanted some planes for the buildings but didnt want the whole space fully flat - so we ended up making some levels, following the rock layer. Neighbors from the other mountain provided me some dirt in crates they didnt need - that was extremely helpful and i finished this project much earlier then i planned. Sadly, at this point my friend already lost most of his enthusiasm about the game. But I eventually deeded that place and lived nicely doing all the stuff i like to do in wurm. Finally the Xanadu was opened and all the shore people moved there.

Not that all this was without negative parts. When we first moved, my friend parked his boat near the shore village - that led to quite a fight between them. Thats when we learned that wurm inhabitants can be rather rough about their deed borders.

After some time I got quite bored with the game, abandoned it for months, and my deed got disbanded. I got back tho feeling tired about my place and setting off to find something new. The Xanadu opening affected a lot of shore or even more land deeds, leaving them to history. I found a small spot near the water on the opposite part of the Exodus map, built a shed there and started mining. After a week or so I got really sad about the place I left - it was completely looted after the deed disbanding but the buildings were still standing - and I thought "no way I would find some other place like that - it was unique" (even if it wasnt, I wouldnt like to terraform another such a place). And I got back, deeded it again and started another pleasant wurm life.

So the point of this too long of a story: there wasnt such a moment in my wurm life when I regretted settling on Exodus. The experience was quite colorful in any way.

• Like 2

One word: "History". I try to explain what I mean with that Word.

Wurm is unique in that sense, that you can have direct impact on your surroundings. That means that pretty much everyone, who plays Wurm leaves a mark on the server, be it only one paved tile. Even the road, that has "always been there" is a work of some individual, or a group of people.

That is what makes Independence for me special. I have a reference point from the time I started here. And it is interesting to see how the surroundings have been constantly evolving since then. People come and people go, but everyone has their own "handwriting". Places, which years ago were full of people are now covered with forest and vice versa.

Also with almost everything you see, there is a story involved. Some are good and some are not so good, but even when the players who have been involved in the story have quit, you still see the remnants of those stories.

^ adding this to my comment. well said.

What keeps me attracted to a server is pretty much what people already said: History. The landscape that was touched by many people who lived there and is constantly changing with new ones coming, staying or leaving again. And of course it's the people.

My partner and me started on Exodus and spent the first day running around, searching for a place to settle and, of course, constantly dying to critters. Never ever have I seen so much fenced areas with all kind of domastical champion animals :o
Eventually, with a nice person making me three nails for my first cart, we found a place to settle in a a crater. There was already someone living there, but he didn't mind us living next to him. Two guard towers made it a wild and yet peaceful spot to start out. I still have screenshots from that time, full of nostalgia^^

Some weeks later we decided to join a village before making our own and were curiously looking through the forum to look for a german one - so we got in contact with the deed owner of the former Bergdorf on Deliverance. He was so kind to collect us at the north coast on Exodus and brought us over with a rowing boat. What an adventure that was for a young wurmling... crossing a server border xD It was a beautiful village, yet lots of trolls in the area. And we didn't stay long.

Only a few days later we met an rl-friend who brought us to Independence. Originally it startet as a visit, but we decided to stay. Independence became a good home over the months, although we moved around quite a bit, founded and disbanded two deeds before finding a place to stay. We've met a lot of good people around there, most of them being people who have played Wurm for years, and a lot of nice places too. I remember that one resting tavern that I accidently stumbled over. It was sooo beautiful - not just a room and a bed, but with lots of furniture and rugs. Really comfortable. I have no clue if it still exists or who made it (or where it was located, to be honest)... and sadly I didn't make a screen of it. But the memory is a good one.

Later I traveled back to Exodus to take a look at our old home just to see that our former neighbour had left or moved, walls still there but slowly decaying. I could still see some of the walls we build there too. It made me sad but it was also exciting to see the place taken back by nature.

I also traveld over Deliverance a bit and saw quite some beautiful big deeds and the boat bridge... but although it's a larger server, Independence always felt like the most living server to me.

I'm now actively playing in the epic cluster on Affliction, and it's an interesting contrast to Independence.

First of all, it's Libila's domain, of course, so it takes some time to get accustumed to all the mycelium for a former freedomer ;) Eventually, you learn the benefits of it... and come to see that without all the green nature it's still a very beautiful place.
Since it has fewer players than other servers, the land might appear wild and untouched in many places, although there are already some ruins, either next to the starter town or out in some places so wild you would never expect them. It has been very exciting to see the land change... the places I used to hunt a while after the new affliction server went live look totally different by now. Huge grasslands have been covered by mycelium or changed to a huge forests.
The people are paranoid and yet not so different to freedom if they come to know you. Although you should learn not to easily trust everyone you meet and build lots of walls to prevent someone from breaking into your deed.

Edited by Cayce
  • Like 1

I also live on Xanadu and after a little traveling I wonder

HOW DOES THE SERVER KEEP TRACK OF ALL THESE TREES???

So many trees.

To actually respond to OP:

Xanadu is a lovely gigantic server where you can get terribly lost, find a herd of glowing unicorns in the desert, uncover a hidden temple abandoned several months ago, and get devoured by hell hounds who always seem to know when your horse is tired.

To seriously respond to OP:

Wilderness! Hooked on Xanadu worked for me. It's great for people who want to set out and establish homesteads in the wilds. That's what I did, lots of room to spread out, lots of mysterious hillsides to surmount, not knowing what will be on the other side.

Edited by Tipper