Sign in to follow this  
Sila

make diging same way as mining

votes for change!  

236 members have voted

1. 1. do you like idea?

If someone is not your friend and come near you he cant take item you drop.

+1

It makes more sense AND it's easier for everyone!

Yeeesssssssssssss

+1 for dirt/sand, though I'm not convinced for clay. Just imagine that you are happily digging clay off deed (that's pretty much where clay is for most people), then somebody comes by, grabs the pile of clay off the ground and rides off. Suddenly we've reversed the current situation, at least for clay. Instead of having to drop piles all the time you now need to pick up what you are digging all the time, even though with clay it was never a problem to begin with because it's only 2kg per clay, so you can hold plenty in your inventory.

What i'd propose is a slightly more complex system, which offers increased safety for clay and works better with dredging:

1) while digging, if you have an inventory besides your own open (cart, crate, boat, etc) then what you've dug up goes into that inventory first. If multiple are open then just let the server dump it into one of these, perhaps the first one which was opened. If the first one is full then it could go to the second one, and so on until all are full?

2) While digging, if case 1 did not apply or all of those inventories are full, then drop the materials in the inventory of the player if there is enough room in said inventory.

3) While digging, if case 1 did not apply or all of those inventories are full, and the player has insufficient room in his inventory, then drop the dug materials in a pile on the ground.

Edited by Theshrike

I voted for Yes,  but I am not sure it should be the same for clay or tar.

"Not sure." Mining is a pretty easy skill to raise just because you can just queue up your max and shards/ore drops on the ground then repeat this process until the tile hits 100 items. A favorite skill to raise up on a second account while playing the main one, as well as mining tunnels for access throughout mines.

Now with digging if using an alt they can only do a few queues because of the weight in inventory, making this something you actually have to pay attention to frequently to either drop/drag it into a pile or into a container/cart. Then apply this auto drop to ground in a pile and you have the same in-attentiveness to digging as you currently have to mining. Even beyond this, when you apply this to *leveling* there is not even a queue involved so you can be un-attentive even longer than with mining with even a newbie or low skilled character, due to the fact that the only thing that will stop the leveling process is running out of stamina.

This is why I respond with "not sure" to this suggestion. If players want to be able to focus their attention elsewhere for this extended period of time while using their character (or multiple ones) then no doubt this would be beneficial. If players believe that it is better that the game requires them to focus their attention upon what their character is doing, then this applied to digging/leveling detracts from that.

For myself, I find it no imposition to drop/drag dirt to a pile or container while using the digging/leveling process but this is because I do it with my Premium guys while being attentively active with them in the process. Then if I want to use a second character at the same time, work some skill that requires less active monitoring by using the queue or crafting window. So if things stay as is with digging/leveling it is perfectly fine with me, yet I am "not sure" if this is *suggestion* is best for the game concept.

=Ayes=

+1 for dirt/sand, though I'm not convinced for clay. Just imagine that you are happily digging clay off deed (that's pretty much where clay is for most people), then somebody comes by, grabs the pile of clay off the ground and rides off. Suddenly we've reversed the current situation, at least for clay. Instead of having to drop piles all the time you now need to pick up what you are digging all the time, even though with clay it was never a problem to begin with because it's only 2kg per clay, so you can hold plenty in your inventory.

What i'd propose is a slightly more complex system, which offers increased safety for clay and works better with dredging:

1) while digging, if you have an inventory besides your own open (cart, crate, boat, etc) then what you've dug up goes into that inventory first. If multiple are open then just let the server dump it into one of these, perhaps the first one which was opened. If the first one is full then it could go to the second one, and so on until all are full?

2) While digging, if case 1 did not apply or all of those inventories are full, then drop the materials in the inventory of the player if there is enough room in said inventory.

3) While digging, if case 1 did not apply or all of those inventories are full, and the player has insufficient room in his inventory, then drop the dug materials in a pile on the ground.

I know it's more complicated to implement, but it seems like a great solution. I could dig and throw the dirt directly into my large cart just like I'd do in the real world.

well Tich should atlast comment on vote she do :D

Well we are probably out of luck if Tich does not like the idea, lol

oh well de do not have only 1 dev, we have also ROLF to support us! :D

I Vote no, i don't want wurm to become easier it sets a dangerous proposal for other things, yes it's only digging and mining has this feature, but i just have a bad feeling.

edit:  would also nice to have a change like this on a ingame vote, since the vocal minority in the forums do not represent the opinion of all the playerbase.

Edited by Tazinsky

Or better: an option to switch auto-drop-as-pile on and off on profile settings. :)

Edited by Trevize
  • Like 1

+1 to digging dirt\sand dropping to the ground (clay \ tar if it is an all or nothing deal)

:sidebar \ hijack:

General terraforming improvements:

Allow dredging into inventory or ground

Add level to dredging

Allow leveling up of clay tar not just down

+1, but...

When digging clay, if you're on a deed that has allowed digging (so as to provide a public clay pit), if you dig into a pile on the ground, you may not be able to pick up said pile when you're done digging (due to pick up permissions not being set).  Or would proximity ownership solve that?

I was going to say proximity ownership should cover this. We've had the problem doing some public works where someone took the task of removing the clutter and was not able to because of it. However, I don't know if this answers the pvp question above with an alt just dropping it back. However, it is PvP. Just kill the alt. 

• Like 1

would be nice if we get some word from devs or rolf anytime soon to see how much time will take to make so great inprove to wurm :D

My only thing would be to make it where manual digging does this but leveling does not since it would just add alot more alts to the game.

• Like 1

I have no idea why the dirt does not just drop to the ground in the first place such as in mining. 

+1

-1 it would complicate things with permissions when you hire someone to dig on deed, clay on deed, tar on deed.

im sure that will be no issue when tich bring us new permission system