Sign in to follow this  
Nesral

Community Map Project

Thinkin' about if I should just update the map a few times more before the FRAM project takes over?

Go for it ^^ it will be cool seeing that map updated as i allways us that one.

Novus Satus has been reformed and renamed to Arcilus

When someone will update it?

Probably never.

Till then I will use my legally obtained map dump.

I'll have a crack if someone can send me the PSD, that 1st post link is dead.

Cheers ago. I'm gonna prob convert into an illustrator file, update the outline a little from the FRAM info and some of my own map-making (limited as that is), then see about getting the thing updated.

Time permitting, I'll have something up for the weekend ;)

My digital artistry doesn't go much paste MSPaint but something I have though about doing is taking the FRAM map and adding a few layers to it (using a slightly darker color set to make it apparent) and fill in the massive empty spots with an approximation made using the CMP.

The FRAM project was very useful in that it made hyper accurate maps of some key regions and provided some very accurate measurements to help get the real size and shape of the island together. But it was also grossly over ambitious.

A hybrid would be best in my eyes.

The endless deed shuffling is one of the things that kills these map projects - it is not possible for anyone to keep up to date the specifics of each and every deed. Focusing on the ones that are longer lasting and/or effectively landmarks (ie. Freedom Market, Samling, Halcyon, Darkenstone etc) in their regions is probably a better, albeit more subjective, approach.

Well I've got the gridset and landmass done, added some lakes with the data from FRAM. Will finish the terrain parts today then get the roads/canals in (this is all being done in illustrator which should make amending the coast outline easier in future, for me anyway :P )

Now I'm thinking of just adding some of the main/older settlements at first, then everyone can just pm/post to have theirs added like before. And uh, I think I'll start a new thread since this one's a bit long in the tooth.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow then.

I believe i will lock this thread (but leave it as a sticky for now) and sticky the new one as well.