Sign in to follow this  
Nesral

Community Map Project

Why dont you guys just use a SVN repository?

If you properly teach everyone how to use SVN and maintain it, sure...

Or use something more distributed like Git and then you can ignore the updates you don't want and maintain your own private updates easier.

Merging the work of others will still be a problem. Even if you use a text based format like svg you will get into big trouble if another person saved the map and posted his updates.

What we need is something like a distributed whiteboard where everyone (or selected ones) can draw to and everbody gets the changes instantly. Inkscape is supposed to support that to a certain degree but I'm still looking for a stand alone server that keeps the master copy without the need to run an inkscape copy on a desktop PC.

The annotations should be separate from the map. It's a lot easier to manage coordinates and labels that way, whereas the actual map pixels could be limited to a few people.

Here is the location of North Haven, Wild Ridge and Stoneheim. Also an edit on the mountain, now showing the hidden crater lake in the center... :o  Also, the highway from roadside is way off and not even close to completion.

NorthHavenupdatedpublicmapentry.jpg

your adjustment to the mountain isnt right. it was closer the first time.

and the lake is about 150-200 tiles west of the mountain fyi. i think your getting confused.

If that be the case, then Tiger is way the heck off. :-\ If the mountain is correct then that means that the cliff that extends to the west is not shown, and there are no deeds near that peak. I hunt around that peak and lake almost every day. ;)

Is someone still updating the map then?

Nesral hasn't had enough updates coming in to really justify a new version, I think.

Merging the work of others will still be a problem. Even if you use a text based format like svg you will get into big trouble if another person saved the map and posted his updates.

What we need is something like a distributed whiteboard where everyone (or selected ones) can draw to and everbody gets the changes instantly. Inkscape is supposed to support that to a certain degree but I'm still looking for a stand alone server that keeps the master copy without the need to run an inkscape copy on a desktop PC.

Git handles multi-user merges already.  Its quite nice like that.

Nesral hasn't had enough updates coming in to really justify a new version, I think.

He said he had no time to do it anymore, there's a tile accurate CC-RCR update aswel as a few deeds.

Planning to tile map CC to the southern tip of the inner lake end of the week.

Alright guys, I think the PSD is fairly ready..

But I would like to know if I should release it to all, or just one person (Which we will together find out who)?

I have also found a way to get some time so I can work on the map, as I have got Photoshop on my laptop now and update the map at school. So...

But let's focus on; Should I release it to all people, or just one new "mapper"?

I think it's best to release it to the general public.

This limits the risk of all the work getting lost should the new maintainer somehow get lost. No offense but I've seen lots of people simply disappear from games because they suddenly had to deal with RL problems, dead computers or connectivity issues. It would be nice if someone could take over the work any given time.

This limits the risk of all the work getting lost should the new maintainer somehow get lost. No offense but I've seen lots of people simply disappear from games because they suddenly had to deal with RL problems, dead computers or connectivity issues. It would be nice if someone could take over the work any given time.

Agreed, we can always just ignore updates from anyone but the current 'de facto' maintainer.

Another option would be to have, say, three people authorised to enter stuff.

Release it to all, there's no harm in that.

As Maluraq states, have one person who actually makes the official one, and others can use the PSD to incorporate their edits, and the official map can be adjusted accordingly.

It's pretty much what we have now, except everyone has a chance at editing bits, so it wont take as long to update the official with large edits if done correctly - and when the official editor decides to go on holiday, we can still use the random up to date edited maps people have uploaded.

PSD released

Read first post!

I hope to see the map get updated soon, and how it will involve.. 

I rather think it'd almost be better to use Illustrator for this..

Considering there's no real gradients required for this sort of thing..

This is basically what Illustrator is made for  :P

I take that back, it's organized enough now that I have seen it.

Doing some minor edits as we speak, might try my luck at adding in my Halcyon area map too.

ED: OH GOD WHAT

The entire map needs to be edited lololol

mapneedsextensivestretc.th.png

At Nes:

The layers are fine, easy to update those. It's the width of the map I'm more worried about.

For those which have looked at the map will see how much a pain it is to update, as it very frustrating to look through all those layers :P

I'm not that good at organizing my layers..  :-X

heh i was looking at it last night FM and i have the same problem adding my area.

The northern coast near IP is at least 30-40 pixels too far south.

i'm trying to put together an accurate map of the coasts from Insanity west to reborn and then back across the north coast to the public mine across the inlet at samling.

I take that back, it's organized enough now that I have seen it.

Doing some minor edits as we speak, might try my luck at adding in my Halcyon area map too.

ED: OH GOD WHAT

The entire map needs to be edited lololol

mapneedsextensivestretc.th.png

At Nes:

The layers are fine, easy to update those. It's the width of the map I'm more worried about.

This is one of those problems I had often, it can be a huge conflict..

I'm just going to add the parts I tile map, move only the surrounding things until it fits, and then when I join it up to another tile mapped area (after I map from RCR to DSC) finally do a major edit.

I doesn't look too bad, although it does squeeze the river a bit.

Can you make a short list of the tile mapped areas on the map so far?

I know of

• Samling to DS canal east coast side
  • Area North of Oreo west coast side

The area near Phoenix Enterprise..?

And that should be pretty much that..

I have another "version" of the map where there is the reference on the map, where all the other pictures are placed on the map.. Should I also upload this?