Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Dragon Loot Tweaks

There is now a pool for distributing dragon scale and hide pieces reserved for the more enabled characters with higher fight skill or characteristics and priest. Other players will still receive from the smaller pool and all players will receive blood as usual.

Newer players will also receive a free supply of cookies. :lol:  

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit
  • Like 2

You know what will happen :D? Everyone will priest up their alts cause... Hmm which is harder. High faith or high body/FS :D

• Like 1

Well if things goes that way, we will just add in more restrictions for the priests.
Require higher faith or good channeling.

Edit: Or rather we could do that, or try and find another way that doesn't require tampering too much with fighting stuff.

• Like 7

Well if things goes that way, we will just add in more restrictions for the priests.

Require higher faith or good channeling.

Edit: Or rather we could do that, or try and find another way that doesn't require tampering too much with fighting stuff.

dont get me wrong as i have killed like 1 or 2 drakes i really dont care for it, but i think there should be some kind of check for it. Like to make sure its just not a high faith priest who is ideling :)

Great move actually.. this is issue that needed/needs attention.

But isn't the most obvious solution: to be eligible for hide/scales, you have to hit the dragon/Drake, or heal the fighters (read: directly contribute to the fight)? In that case maybe the number of simultaneous attackers needs to be tweaked. How much someone does damage shouldn't be important, as otherwise people wouldn't be motivated to back away from the fight to let other people also hit the target.

Well yes that would be the best, unfortunately as things are currently the list of attackers may not be 100% correct at the end of the fight, and pure healers would not be apart of it at all unless they actually got a hit in.

This change is a little bit on the quick and dirty side, not wanting to fiddle in areas that are prone to bug out easily when changed. 

• Like 2

This change is a little bit on the quick and dirty side, not wanting to fiddle in areas that are prone to bug out easily when changed. 

wanted to say something sarcastic about classic wurm move, but actually i dont care anymore.

• Like 3

My main concern with the changes is how they will incentivize private fights even more than before. I don't know what the developer's thoughts on public fights are, but my personal opinion is that they are great community events and offer intersting social experiences for both new and veteran players.

I think the changes all make sense by themselves, so I am not saying they are necessarily bad, just that it might be worth giving some thoughts to whether public events is something you like to see in the game.

Having bigger drops on Freedom servers than on Chaos is going to incentivize Chaos players to come to Freedom to find (and probably also steal) uniques there. To avoid this Freedom players will want to kill their uniques quickly and without letting the public know they have been found. 

Not being able to pen uniques securely certainly makes sense, but it's going to make it very risky to announce the fight in advance. It will be much less risky to kill it privately and with very short notice.

Having the main loot from dragons come from a limited pool will make it a lot less desirable to invite others to the fight. In the past the blood drops has been a lot more valuable than the hide/scale which meant that there wasn't a big downside to announce fights publicly.

All in all I am happy to see you make improvements to uniques, but I hope that public fights will remain popular.

• Like 7

My main concern with the changes is how they will incentivize private fights even more than before. I don't know what the developer's thoughts on public fights are, but my personal opinion is that they are great community events and offer intersting social experiences for both new and veteran players.

I think the changes all make sense by themselves, so I am not saying they are necessarily bad, just that it might be worth giving some thoughts to whether public events is something you like to see in the game.

Having bigger drops on Freedom servers than on Chaos is going to incentivize Chaos players to come to Freedom to find (and probably also steal) uniques there. To avoid this Freedom players will want to kill their uniques quickly and without letting the public know they have been found.

Not being able to pen uniques securely certainly makes sense, but it's going to make it very risky to announce the fight in advance. It will be much less risky to kill it privately and with very short notice.

Having the main loot from dragons come from a limited pool will make it a lot less desirable to invite others to the fight. In the past the blood drops has been a lot more valuable than the hide/scale which meant that there wasn't a big downside to announce fights publicly.

All in all I am happy to see you make improvements to uniques, but I hope that public fights will remain popular.

That's my concern also. I hope public events continue

I think this is a change on the right direction, and I think this will in fact encourage the public killings.

Before, the scale/hide drop was extremely small and having lots of people in local (like in most public killings) spliced it in a way that everyone got a minuscule amount of it. Now the amount of hide/scale was increased (idk how much) and is split into 2 pools, the biggest one go (evenly?) to the actual fighters/priests, and the smaller one go to the rest, so again everyone gets some, but the people contributing to the killing gets a bit more than the rest, so you can still take 150 alts to leech blood and hide/scale from the small pool as long as creating as much lag as you can.

In resume, this don't change the situation for the lechers, but improves it a bit for the fighters.

Unless I got the update notice wrong.

• Like 1

I think maybe you read it wrong. The elite fighters and priests get more. Not the fighters in general. Dunno but seems to me it will create a situation where you get a group of elite fighters who don't back off to let others hit. They collect the lions share of the loot and sell it for a bundle of bucks. The noobs and non elite will get the table scraps. Maybe it won't always go that way. Getting more and more disillusioned with this whole dragon fiasco. It's becoming a joke. They're not really dragons, just big cows. This should be a risk/reward thing, not an elitist give away. Just my opinion.

Edited by Clatius

Those that grind the hardest to kill the dragon should get more loot than noobs. I don't see a problem in that, this is an mmorpg after all not a democratic nation,

Edit: or should I say a communist game

Edited by demondan
  • Like 1

we don't know the new amounts, we don't know the new requirements... lets see a few fights before complaining too much.

• Like 1

I personally was never one to bring 50 alts to a hunt just to get a bunch of hide and or blood but I was one to go by my self and suffer from the lag from 50+ alts. 

I do worry though that the newbs that I bring along with me wont have as much fun because of their reduced loots, however it does give them more inventive to keep working to the 70fs that they are striving for. 

The one thing i am a bit worried about is that the uniques will now bash mine doors. We relied on the bug that they wouldn't in order to be able to trap them. I am curious know what creative ideas people will come up with trapping them for public killings. If you cant think of one freedom chat suggested collapsing the mine entrance after it is inside and opening it up at a later date. 

This is definitely a step in the right direction and I appreciate the effort of trying to reduce the lag and or make public killings more rewarding instead of 0.00 hide from a dragon. 

My goodness Mr DKSprocket .... the irony of you saying Choas are going to come take freedom's Uniques is hilarious ....... That is exactly what you and crew do and then make the loot private , if you do not see the irony ..... 

( oh and you know exactly how to pen a dragon in a mine DK ... without a mine door ) 

Bravo developers the changes are fantastic 

Edited by Tarator
  • Like 1

What happens with scale distribution in the following scenario?

Three groups of fighters work together to defeat a Red Dragon.
- Group one are 70+ FS fighters with average characteristics.
- Group two are 70+ FS fighters with average characteristics AND 50 channeling but are NOT priested.
- Group three are 70+ FS fighters with average characteristics AND 50 channeling AND are priested.

In the fight, only 2 priests casted spells, Light of Fo and Mass stamina.

How does the algorithm determine who gets a larger share of scale? Does it favour priests with high channeling, high FS and higher characteristics?

My goodness Mr DKSprocket .... the irony of you saying Choas are going to come take freedom's Uniques is hilarious ....... That is exactly what you and crew do and then make the loot private , if you do not see the irony ..... 

( oh and you know exactly how to pen a dragon in a mine DK ... without a mine door ) 

Bravo developers the changes are fantastic 

I think with private loot kills he ment kills where nobody would be able to come over to stand in local for the blood, because they are harder to pen now.

I think the minedoor change should be reverted AS LONG AS ppl actually slay their uniques (which is happening right now). Because that way it is easier to make kills with PRIVATE LOOT but public events where very single player can show up to get some hide and blood. Everyone enjoys thats. 

As soon as ppl do start keeping uniques (to breed for example) or for the sole purpose so that other people can't get to it, they should bash minedoors again.

I know that some kills i have done have private loot, but i have nearly always made it so that everyone can show up in local for blood and hide. But i'm afraid now that its harder to pen, locals will choose to kill it asap instead of making the effort to pen it and make it a public event.

But time will tell.

---

on the  loot changes, we'll have to see how it goes the first few dragon fights because we can make any discussion on that. Seeing how much ppl get and how skilled they are to get a rough idea of how the new code is working.

I am also wondering how much it increased. The drake change was definetly needed, 0.5 KG was way to low (7 kills for 1 set..). You'd expect at least half a set or more should be dropped.

With old loot:

In total 66 dragons spawned in the past 12 months if i counted correctly.

16 Red = 6.25 Scale Sets this year.

50 Others = 7.1 Drake Sets this year. 

Scale was already dropping a larger amount because it only had 1 dragon. But now theres 5 scale dragons. Scale has always been more "rare" and "special". Will this no longer be? 

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 1

One can only hope the dev's make it so Uniques bash out the collapsed tile method that is being used  ( the one where you toss dirt on the rock face ) 

I have never seen a mine door used to keep one underground , better yet make it so Uniques will not go underground 

Happy trails :) 

• Like 1

One can only hope the dev's make it so Uniques bash out the collapsed tile method that is being used  ( the one where you toss dirt on the rock face ) 

I have never seen a mine door used to keep one underground , better yet make it so Uniques will not go underground 

Happy trails :)

But that would remove all public slayings for sure...

I was half asleep when I first read the announcement yesterday, and now I see that I didn't fully take it all in correctly. The change to the size of the hide/scale loot is good yes, but it seems it doesn't have anything to do with actually fighting or casting. So now anyone who is higher fs (70+, 90+? we don't know) and priests, can just be in local to get the larger drops. So no incentive at all really to reduce the number of carts full of alts it seems.

Then the mine door issue, with no effective way of temporarily penning them, I am thinking like DK now that it may mean less incentive to hold public fights, if it has to be done so quickly and a fairly small team of higher players can kill it privately and get the larger loots.

Of course it will take some few spawns to experiment and see exactly what it all means, but at the moment that combo of changes doesn't look good for public fights anymore, which would be a really sad loss to the community, since we have so little in the way of reasons to gather together for some fun. Time will tell but I sure hope public fights will still happen somehow.

how will making a skill requirement not reduce the number of alts at a dragon killing?

the game clearly isn't intended to have 5 carts of alts at every slaying because of metagaming nerds

• Like 2

But that would remove all public slayings for sure...

How is it public if one group controls all the kills and anytime there is good loot does it private?

More uniques combined with no pen, would allow local groups a chance at actually fighting and winning something.  Although people may "feel" they have good intentions for the larger community.  In the end they are doing it at a time of their choosing, under their control, with their rule set.

Solution:  MORE UNIQUES, no PENNING. 

Everyone now has a chance.   If there were uniques running around, anyone could organize a public fight if they wanted too.

There is obviously a huge demand for high end creatures, otherwise people wouldnt be sailing 8+ hours just for an opportunity to fight.  The game should be meeting that demand by giving more opportunities to participate.

Edited by thirtynine
  • Like 1

Solution:  MORE UNIQUES

The name unique does mean they should be rare and not a load of them. There are quite a lot of them already if you look at the fact there used to be only 1 spawn in the past of all of them and then you didn't see them for years. I think making more spawn is the wrong way to look at it and devalues them.

All of my alts are priests with 100 faith...

Honestly, if you are going to be keeping a premium alt, why wouldn't most of them be priests?

I quit taking any alts to unique fights early on, wasn't worth the hassle and it didn't seem right.

I eventually quit going to unique hunts altogether due to the lag. So I can certainly appreciate any attempts to reduce that issue in itself. :)

The whole blood, hide/scale distribution to local premiums was (i believe) a design to encourage community events and give a means for lower skilled players a chance to be included in a fun event and make a little money.

It's being abused and while I can appreciate the recent changes which I assume where meant to counter that behavior, its not going to do it as it stands now.

To me, those changes sound like they will encourage private fights which exclude the general community and will continue to reward players who bring premium priests or alts with decent fighting skills to those fights. In other words, its just setting up a worse situation.

But we will see with time.

I don't envy the devs in this issue. It's a tough nut to crack.

• Like 4