Sign in to follow this  
Nolana

Please lower barriers of entry

When it comes to launcher, I am not sure if you know, but there is new one which hides most useless technical stuff from the old launcher in development.

Mmmmm.... useless is such a subjective viewpoint.

For example, I think it's pretty useless to show us a progress bar when the client is updating since you've (the client team) now decided to hide the filenames of the items that are being updated.

Since we're on this topic, is there any chance that this client-gui overhaul will be available as an option, or is this going to be another "great" update that's forced upon us?

Filenames of items updated are shown now - we have decided that we will hide names of single assets completely, but currently updated file (like graphics/sound/PMK) will be shown. New launcher will completely replace the old when we will fix all problems and change few things. :)

• Like 1

What Wurm needs more than anything is for noobs to not just quit ..but speak up and tell us why?

Top marks Nolana for doing this is valuable feedback :)

it's easy to forget what it's like to begin from completely new. even if you make a new toon the knowledge and habits are there.

• Like 1

I love jumping in games and generally get frustrated in games that don't let you do so. However with wurm, especially with new players, I would see people attempting to trespass and get stuck. This happened a lot before when people would drop down into walled mines.

I don't think most newbies would quit over an inability to jump so much as quit when they're forced to suicide after jumping a fence in which they can't jump back over.

I do agree on the launcher issue. Wurm can be a HARD game to get running properly. Between the three different PCs I've played across each time it was rough to get going. This has driven off at least 3 diff people I've tried to bring to the game.

As for the clicking thing I coils have sworn you could key bind a mouselook toggle. If I am mistaken wurm could really benefit from such a thing.

It's a small team and small playerbase. Wurm won't appeal to everyone nor do I think it was meant to.

Keep up the feedback though;the developers need a newcomers perspective on things.

I do agree on the launcher issue. Wurm can be a HARD game to get running properly. Between the three different PCs I've played across each time it was rough to get going. This has driven off at least 3 diff people I've tried to bring to the game.

Seriously? Over seven years I've played this on six different desktop ;machines and four different notebooks. Never have I ever had any problems with it. There are 12 of us on our own wi-fi network. Everyone has played WURM. None have had a problem running it. Well, except Sarcaticous. He installed Windows 10 and it did something to his Java 64 bit so he had to reinstall it. But that was Windows not Java or WURM. So when  someone says they have a HARD time running it I scratch me head and wonder WTF. A ten year old (one of us has a ten yr old) can get it going with no problemo right off the bat. Not saying you didn't have a problem, just wondering what you did. . 

- Decent default settings and more mouse-related settings.

You do realize default settings have to be tailored for what the developers presume to be the low end machine for someone who will play WURM right? Not everyone lives in the U.S. or the Euro zone. And some who do don't have money for an average machine. So any default settings have to be able to be run by a relatively simple machine. In other words, the settings on my machine would look pretty crappy. Assuming most people fall above a low end machine that means most people have to fiddle with the settings. Heck, I have to fiddle with the settings of every game I play because they are default and I can run much much better than that. So exactly what are decent default settings? Decent for you or decent for Stan in Moldova who can't afford a decent machine?

And I hope you do realize that it is possible to detect a better default configuration?

Starting out at least in desktop resolution gives a much much better initial impression.

Also, not being able to turn ff mouse acceleration and to configure camera settings, is a huge huge barrier for many players I know.

If you play in 1st person, it HAS to feel right to look around.

If I can't find that setting right away and have to wade through wikis and whatnot: That is time I don't want to spend.

Why even mention WoW?  This game does not compare even remotely.

Also, man I wish I had that nifty jump feature to jump well.. never.

Don't you have to make an account on like.. every game from the webpage?

Everyone has recommended steam, but to be honest, it'd kill the game.

Game /unplayable/ because mouse sensitivity.  Q and E.  Also, that made me laugh.

So god damned whiny.  ;~;

Takes getting used to, but you're not just going to walk into Wurm and learn it right away.

It's posts like these I wish I could down vote.

I mentioned WoW as the poster child for intuitive gameplay and UI metaphors and systems people are used to nowadays.

So you are saying Q and E replaces the mouse? THAT made ME laugh.

Again, if you can't make players configure the most basic game experiene 'Moving and looking around' to their liking, that is an issue.

Now I seem to recall that it was I who said Q and E really.
You are welcome to laugh at me all you want!

But I didn't say it replaces the mouse.

Did you check what actions you can bind in the launcher btw?

Edited by Cecci