Sign in to follow this  
Brynden

linux for wurm on old computer?

hello,so play wurm in a pretty old computer,using windows xp until now and wurm runs just fine,but im considering moving to a linux distro, im thinking LXLE or LUBUNTU  are probably the best for old computer like mine.

the only thing i really care about when i switch its that i can still play wurm and have a decent video player,my worry its about the video drivers for an old video card in linux to be able to play wurm.

do you think wurm will work fine in LXLE or LUBUNTU? or do you recommend a diferent distro?

this is my poor computer specs:

Intel Core Duo T2400 @ 1.83GHz   

2,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard LENOVO 200843G

512MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 (Lenovo)

596GB TOSHIBA MK6476GSX (SATA)  

Thank you for your advice :D

Edited by Brynden

Works great on Ubuntu at least. That laptop GPU is always going to bite you in the ass however.

• Like 1

The choice of distro / window manager does not matter at all, as long as the proper graphics driver and java is running (which in general is possible on every Ubuntu based distro and most others).

The issue will likely be the ancient gpu as you assumed, last time I had to deal with one of those ati mobility ones they had been dropped from the official driver, and the open source alternatives didn't have great 3d acceleration yet.

But things might have changed by now.

right now for windows i have to use an old version of the catalyst control center.versions 8 or 9,if the open source drivers are still no good could i use those in linux somehow?

I have a secondary laptop with a bit newer ati mobility gpu - can use the Ubuntu stock driver only as amd has no support anymore on it. Wurm runs on it although on real low graph settings ofc. I'd say to give it a try - maybe on a system installed to a pendrive - that works for me as well.

oh i know it will be the lowest settings posible,that happens in windows too :D,just want it to work.

The choice of distro / window manager does not matter at all, as long as the proper graphics driver and java is running (which in general is possible on every Ubuntu based distro and most others).

The issue will likely be the ancient gpu as you assumed, last time I had to deal with one of those ati mobility ones they had been dropped from the official driver, and the open source alternatives didn't have great 3d acceleration yet.

But things might have changed by now.

Not true, desktop enviroment and window manager, have real impact in system performance, try to run ubuntu (with unity) with that specs, then add wurm over it...

But I agree with the part of free divers.

Using a lightwave window manager (not a desktop enviroment) like fluxbox or openbox? i will more worried about the amount of ram that wurm uses than the graphics...

ignore this:

Maybe running wurm in full screens directly in x-window without anything else.

well so far i tried wurm in lubuntu and the performance was pretty bad,used the same settings i use in windows,even considering in windows i just a wurm window and the browser or video player at the same time and in lubuntu i just tried opening wurm,so i think il stick to the modded xp version i use until i get a new computer.

I just installed on a laptop with ati mobility radeon hd 4250 using 32 bit kubuntu, And it will run up to 20fps. But this is with minimal settings and glsl shaders turned off.  I only use it for a preist anyway so they dont have to move around a whole lot.  Other than wurm it runs great. Wow on high settings with no lag. You can do just about anything you want with it. But wurm chokes them bad.

I used the downloaded drivers from ati. They claim to have dropped support. But their still updating the file so who knows. Anyway i get double the framerate with the downloaded driver than the ones from linux. Those are just terrible.

For old computers, I'd bet on Mint with MATE (still ubuntu, just a way lighter flavor, less resources burned on the UI).  Could change MATE for Cinnamon, still pretty lightweight but prettier.

Main thing is that ubuntu flavors bring openJDK due to some copyright spat with Oracle a couple of years back, so you'd have to make sure to install oracle java instead.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html   You can skip the tl;dr and skip straight to "linux terminal", copy those lines in one by one into your terminal and you should be fine.

Also, you'll most likely wanna install your graphics' card's drivers if it's an ATI or Nvidia, ones linux brings out of the box work but not toooooo well.  All in all, Wurm's really light so should run fine, maybe with minor graphics' nerfs depending how ancient or not your computer is.