Sign in to follow this  
bdew

Forum web server has been borked for months

Get it multiple times a day, as do several players on my friendslist.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ Great site btw.
Players from Canada, US, & EU have suffered it all at once many a time, so something is clearly wrong.

Hetzner has had issues similar to this in the past.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110301-hey-i-know-i-hope-she-dont-crash/

Worse yet, it happened consistently during certain times of the day, and only to certain regions. (Canadians were the hardest hit between 9am - 6pm GMT.) To this day we still haven't been told why.

While the problems have been, for the most part, fixed since then - there have been the occasional hiccups on the forums, and in game that can easily be answered by dramatically screaming, "HETZNER!" at the top of your lungs to the sky.

The forums aren't being hosted at hetzner though

Edited by Rotab

Happens to me at 10pm pst, reliably, every night without fail.  I can tell time by when it happens, it's that consistent.  I don't know about the other times of day since I don't try to access the forum 24/7.  

To those who want to discount and invalidate the experiences of others simply because they haven't experienced it yet themselves, and who condescendingly demand some sort of proof or additional effort on the part of those complaining.....I say, What Better Advice to Follow Than Your Own.  

This problem has been annoying me for a very long time and I didn't realize anyone else was having the same problem.  I'm glad it's finally getting some mention.  

• Like 1

Happens to me at 10pm pst, reliably, every night without fail.  I can tell time by when it happens, it's that consistent.  I don't know about the other times of day since I don't try to access the forum 24/7.  

To those who want to discount and invalidate the experiences of others simply because they haven't experienced it yet themselves, and who condescendingly demand some sort of proof or additional effort on the part of those complaining.....I say, What Better Advice to Follow Than Your Own.  

This problem has been annoying me for a very long time and I didn't realize anyone else was having the same problem.  I'm glad it's finally getting some mention.  

Some things are inconvenient, that's just how it goes.  Is it annoying?  Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it requires a fix of some sort.  There could very well be a good explanation for why this happens at set times during the day.  Perhaps that explanation involves elements of necessity, such as a daily backup.  No certainty here until it can be explained by the Admin.

Some things are inconvenient, that's just how it goes.  Is it annoying?  Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it requires a fix of some sort.

If you want to look like a bunch of amateurs, sure.

There could very well be a good explanation for why this happens at set times during the day.  Perhaps that explanation involves elements of necessity, such as a daily backup.  No certainty here until it can be explained by the Admin.

How many sites do you know that become unreachable once (or more) a day because of backups..? :)
  • Like 3

Some things are inconvenient, that's just how it goes.  Is it annoying?  Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it requires a fix of some sort.  There could very well be a good explanation for why this happens at set times during the day.  Perhaps that explanation involves elements of necessity, such as a daily backup.  No certainty here until it can be explained by the Admin.

Hence, a post is made and people relate their experiences.  Yes, it's annoying and yes it needs to be fixed.  My opinion (and others), which we have the right to express.  Yes, there could be a good explanation even though I sure can't think of a one.  We'll sure never know what that might be without a thread on the subject methinks. 

You, on the other hand, seem determined to argue with everyone who is having a problem with it, and invalidate everything they're feeling about it for some obscure reason.  A post to relate that you personally have not experienced this would be consistent with the purpose of this kind of thread.  But continuous posting to argue with those who have, implying they're just complaining about nothing, and in one case even implying that some are just making it all up, is quite another thing.  Is there some rational, valid reason for doing this, other than to antagonize people? 

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 8

The forums stop working for me between 4 and 10 times a day. Do I have proof of it? No, but I don't give a crap about whether or not wannabe-officials believe me. It's true and I'm sure the real Wurm staff cares.

• Like 4

1am to 2am EDT every single day. Like others, I just assumed it was a backup or something. It's rare, but does happen, outside those times for me.

EDIT: Location seems to have a lot to do with it. Some people in some regions never have a problem. Other regions have it constantly. I think it's Hertzner. I think they limit/throttle IP ranges at various times. Do I have proof? Of course not. But it doesn't just happen on the forums. I get what they describe in their forum experience in my game experience. I could only hope the game would be like the forum experience I have.

Edited by Audrel

The forums aren't being hosted at hetzner though

As far as I can tell, and I might be doing this wrong, the following are hosted not by Hetzner but by a swedish webhost named CRYSTONE, possibly also affliaiated with a company named "SEO Hosting"

forums.wurmonline.com  << forums 

updates.wurmonline.com  << patch server 

wurmpedia.com  << wiki 

All of these are addresses that have sporadic connection issues for wurm users, maybe in some cases it is limited by region I am not sure. It is hard to judge a webhost company through online reviews anymore, because many reviews are planted by people who are paid to submit glowing reviews to places for all kinds of products, and some negative reviews are just people who are angry about something else and exagerrate.  For instance this website shows 100 percent uptime for Crystone websites  since last december, which I find unlikely. However when I google "crystone uptime" there seem to be a fair number of their customers who say their sites go up and down intermittently throughout the day, including these two reviews at the same site reporting 100 percent uptime. . There must be some way Rolf has of monitoring actual downtime, including periods where for 5-15 minutes people cannot connect to patch server or wurmpedia or forums. 

Hetzner  probably does game servers only as those probably are a lot different in terms of hardware, cpu useage, etc.

I can live with the sporadic "forums are down again" but it's a little "beta indy developer-ish".  

It does seem there should be other options, but it can be a ROYAL PAIN to change companies and sometimes the one you switch to is just as bad. Or worse. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I personally experience this problem atleast once a day sometimes multiple times a day. I honestly can't find any pattern to it either as it does not always occur at the same time of day and sometimes occurs even just 10mins after it becomes accessible again for me.  I know I'm certainly not alone experiencing this problem as many of the people I play with have reported similar issues. 

It would be wonderful if this could be fixed as it is extremely annoying, I've never known any website to have such reliability problems with such a stable number of people accessing it.  

(Australian for reference).

• Like 1

Every morning i wake up and take a small dump. While that i try to log into forums but usually i cannot cause the forums are down or superslow. I am GMT+3 and it is around 7-8 am when that happens to me. (Mainly on the phone tho)

• Like 1

What about all the people who only claim to have an issue at one point during the day? Lol. Fallacy.

Just as it's not our jobs to collect data for Rolf and his team, I don't belive it's your job to attack and discredit people coming forward with feedback of their experience. As with any data collection there will at times be anomalys but that's really not up to you to decide whether there's a problem. Simply because you haven't experienced what others are reporting does not mean that it's not happening, just that it's not happening to you. If I go outside and it's not raining, it does not mean that it's not raining somewhere else in the world just that it's not raining where I am currently stood. 

You're right that we won't know what the issue is until a dev is able to look into it, however attacking people bringing forward information about their experience really isn't helpful to anyone and I have no doubt that your time could be much better spent doing something else. 

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 3

I've experienced this problem a few times. I found it's either around 12-8am GMT+1

There's no real pattern to it and most days it's fine. I rarely see issues occur during the EU day times.

Hi, wannabe official here, I'm going to need proof to determine if you're lying or not.. yes I'm talking to everyone.

• Like 1

For me the forums seem to be down regularly at certain times, and I think those might be back-up times - ? At any rate, if I ask in-game if the forums are down for other people at these late hours, people usually respond "yes it is back-up time, they'll be back in about half an hour." But then there are plenty of intermittent times the forums won't load. Those outages seem to be for a shorter amount of time.

Given the fact that I pretty much stalk the Wurmpedia section of the forums now, I can attest that it happens anywhere from once a day (1am Eastern) into the upwards of a dozen or more times a day. It's different though, as the 1am seems to be the server timing out, where the other times it appears to be a failure to route to the server. There's no need to attack other people who are experiencing something different either, so please stop with the toxicity.

My theory is that the 1am eastern outage is definitely a backup or other server load process, because the connection is most certainly alive and it's the server that isn't responding. The other occasions seem to be routing issues, which I've experienced quite often with Wurm itself at times. I feel the fault of those lay with Hetzner.

I've seen the same thing happen with the Wurmpedia on occasion, minus the 1am Eastern downtime.

• Like 1

The nature of the downtimes are both regular and sporadic from what I can tell. There are regularly occurring downtimes at 6am and 7am Rolftime so I'm assuming they happen for a reason such as backup (but god knows why they happen twice spaced an hour apart), but those aren't the biggest issue - The sporadic downtimes throughout the rest of the day are.

Edited by Aeris

My theory is that the 1am eastern outage is definitely a backup or other server load process, because the connection is most certainly alive and it's the server that isn't responding. The other occasions seem to be routing issues, which I've experienced quite often with Wurm itself at times. I feel the fault of those lay with Hetzner.

Still not hosted with Hetzner though. ;)