Sign in to follow this  
bdew

Forum web server has been borked for months

The forum intermittently and randomly stops working for a few minutes once in a while then comes back.

This has been ongoing for months. I've seen people complain about it on the forum and in game and it doesn't seem like anybody cares.

Could Rolf, or anyone else from the staff with access to that either fix the damn thing or move it to a hosting that doesn't suck?

Pretty please?

tRYjZAf.png

• Like 8

it does it at least once a day it seems in my experience, for 10-15 sometimes

At 7AM central european time the forum also works very very slowly every day, wurm forum is by far the most unstable forum i have ever experienced, not that it matters much tho

• Like 1

7:30-7:40Cest in the morning i can rarely load the forum, i usually get that the forum can not be reached. Everything else works fine but not the forum. Then i get the same error randomly during the day as you do Bdew, connection time out. good days it's 1-3 times, bad days its every other reload of say the forum index page(and no not spam reloading the page, just once in a while to update latest topics thingy).

I have this at least two times a day i had always thought it was some kind of back up type thing but it has been going on for a long time. 

everyday in the early morning it's completely unusable

and then a few times day it will be very slow to load with occasionally not being able to connect at all

Edited by Propheteer

I rarely ever have any connection problems with the forums, and I'm on them ALL OF THE TIME.  The only time there is a noticeable issue is about 12:00 am  (CST).  I feel as if that is when they do any kind of back-up or restart.  It is frustrating, yes, but it happens at that time every single day so I'm accustomed to it. :)

Edited by Slickshot

Same here, starting 7 in the morning for half hour or so very slow (sometimes not at all), and several times throughout the day no connection possible.

Edited by Kianga

I rarely ever have any connection problems with the forums, and I'm on them ALL OF THE TIME.  The only time there is a noticeable issue is about 12:00 am  (CST).  I feel as if that is when they do any kind of back-up or restart.  It is frustrating, yes, but it happens at that time every single day so I'm accustomed to it. :)

Yes, it does it for me 1 am EST every single day. I figured that is when the server is rebooted. I have come to expect it.

• Like 1

Same, no issues

Could be geographic (international links that get saturated?)

Interesting findings, 1AM, maybe backups are being done (db dumps)

Pretty sure it's the daily backup. I think it happens twice a day but I could be mistaken, I've only heard it from secondhand information.

Yes, it does it for me 1 am EST every single day. I figured that is when the server is rebooted. I have come to expect it.

Happens around 3-3:30 am EST too.

I know because I usually spend my work breaks and lunch trying to access the forums.

Pretty sure it's the daily backup. I think it happens twice a day but I could be mistaken, I've only heard it from secondhand information.

Personally, I don't think it's any kind of backup, considering that it happens more than a half a dozen times per day.

GDWlCOf.png

Edited by As_I_Decay

This is totally ruining the immersion of hundreds of wurmians pvp'ing in auctions and town square arenas. Fix it ASAP

• Like 1

I am getting this issue from Australia.

Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Some people think nothing of it, because it doesn't happen to them. Other people are annoyed by it, because it often happens when they'd like to access the forums. It's just very annoying if you regularly experience outages ;)

I had it happen when I was communicating with somebody for a trade, dropping something off, it's a bit unsettling if suddenly the forum cuts out and you can't get directions, because they're using the forums from work for example.

Happens around 3-3:30 am EST too.

I know because I usually spend my work breaks and lunch trying to access the forums.

Personally, I don't think it's any kind of backup, considering that it happens more than a half a dozen times per day.

GDWlCOf.png

Really?  More than half a dozen times?  Proof please.  I access the forums, on average, 3 times per hour, for 14 hours a day and I only ever consistently have trouble at 12:00 am.

Really?  More than half a dozen times?  Proof please.  I access the forums, on average, 3 times per hour, for 14 hours a day and I only ever consistently have trouble at 12:00 am.

Lol. Honestly, it's not my job to present proof. The proof is found in the 15+ different people claiming they all have issues accessing the forums at various points in the day.

It's Rolf's problem to figure it out. His or someone that he pays. I'm not going to take an entire day of mine to screenshot and timestamp every instance that it happens. Not for him... and certainly not for general players like you, who don't believe it happens because they don't experience the same issue.

I'll give him a clue... the nonsense didn't become constant until Hetzner was contracted over a year ago.

• Like 2

Lol. Honestly, it's not my job to present proof. The proof is found in the 15+ different people claiming they all have issues accessing the forums at various points in the day.

It's Rolf's problem to figure it out. His or someone that he pays. I'm not going to take an entire day of mine to screenshot and timestamp every instance that it happens. Not for him... and certainly not for general players like you, who don't believe it happens because they don't experience the same issue.

I'll give him a clue... the nonsense didn't become constant until Hetzner was contracted over a year ago.

What about all the people who only claim to have an issue at one point during the day? Lol. Fallacy.

What about all the people who only claim to have an issue at one point during the day? Lol. Fallacy.

Hetzner has had issues similar to this in the past.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/110301-hey-i-know-i-hope-she-dont-crash/

Worse yet, it happened consistently during certain times of the day, and only to certain regions. (Canadians were the hardest hit between 9am - 6pm GMT.) To this day we still haven't been told why.

While the problems have been, for the most part, fixed since then - there have been the occasional hiccups on the forums, and in game that can easily be answered by dramatically screaming, "HETZNER!" at the top of your lungs to the sky.

Edited by Dairuka

Perhaps this problem happens more often to others based on location in the world? Perhaps these people aren't visiting the forums as frequently as others?

So many variables. Again, I am a paying customer in a non-beta game. With that, it is not my job to collect info or to be a bug tester/instance reporter for someone who can afford to pay others to do so. My "job" is to voice my feedback as a customer... and I am. His server provider is and a portion of his site has spotty accessibility.

Likewise, it's also not my job to ping the Xanadu server to help him figure out why there is a 1sec additional lag on that server alone. That's his job to figure it out. 

Frankly, I don't think he gives a about either issue. Look at how long he lets those issues (and others) drag out for. But that's kind of Wurm's biggest problem.... the actions (or lack thereof) made around here scream "we don't give a !!!"

• Like 2