Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Erupt Change : Duration and Product

This all starts with the path of power ability Erupt.

Currently lava fades back into rock really quickly and lava has no use in PvE except decoration, overall this level 7 skill has little use for the majority of players.

On PvE remove the mag domain only restriction slow down the revert rate (pause it completely in a mag domain so mag domains allow magma to remain for decorative purposes), I am not going to suggest changes on this part to PvP since that is a balance issue.  When lava cools down it has a 25% chance to form a special kind of wall (obsidian).  Obsidian walls are very fragile and break after only 10 blows giving 2 weight of obsidian each time, leaving an obsidian floor, they have 10x the chance to give gems compared to normal walls (so roughly double the chance of getting a gem each tile in a much faster space of time).  Obsidian walls can be reinforced as with normal walls and are, in every other respect, normal walls (not veins).

Obsidian itself is not much use as a building material, however it does have many uses in cutting instruments (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian#Current_use) because of its extreme sharpness.  A nice way to integrate this in wurm is to allow it to be crafted into various short blades (knives and the like, no long thin blades since it IS very fragile) that take double damage but work twice as fast.  These tools cannot be imped or repaired, their QL is always the QL of the blade component when crafted however they take enchantment VERY easily (50% difficulty reduction).

These changes would make erupt much more useful on PvE servers as a power (since it allows access to a unique material and a decorative tile that is no longer transient).  This suggestion is aimed at PvE balance but I don't think it would impact PvP balance overly much since the tools are aimed at crafters and not fighters, the wall chance is not certain so as a tactic it is not really viable.

• Like 1

As a great "fan" of path of power, I can't say I like this obsidian idea.

While getting new ingame items is nice, tying them to a meditation path is not.

After all, eruption is far from useless in PvE:

- You may use it on rock above ground to to melt metal veins or reinforced cave walls below.

- You can push items on lava tiles to get rid of them, good for items that are hard to destroy, like ships or bell towers.

- It gives you a way to deal controlled damage to tools or materials, very helpful for grinding.

- Lava spreading is the only ingame way of removing tiles like clay or peat.

- With effort, you can erupt lava below creatures such as trolls and have fun burning them to death.

Although I agree as many before that Magranon domain restriction is annoying and limits players.

Allowing eruption regardless of domain and changing magranon domain to prevent lava decay instead gets my +1

Edited by Pidgeoni
  • Like 4

Eh noooooo, muh safe cafe priveliges.

Not really sure if I'm +or- on this. Off deed sure np, ondeed prolly not

Edited by Postinglels

- You may use it on rock above ground to to melt metal veins or reinforced cave walls below.

Whoa! Can you explain how this works? I need to get rid of a metal vein.

+1000 to this change for PvE, especially regarding the restriction of the Mag domain. One of my alts can do lava, and I know of only 3 (useless) spots where I can erupt it.

yes please remove the Mag restriction and lava will be pretty usable already.

Whoa! Can you explain how this works? I need to get rid of a metal vein.

Dig the surface to rock above the vein tile, make sure it is Mag domain, erupt. Then freeze it again. The vein is now rock.

Of course, if the surface tile is part of a house, this may be more trouble than its worth.

As far as pvp goes can just change mag domain to allowing within your own kingdom.  This way you can use it for your own use without domain worries, and its not usable to grief enemy (it's stupidly easy to create irreversable damage)

Yeah, the Magranon domain restriction feels extremely arbitrary and pointless. +1 for removing that, at least. The rest can stay how it is.