Sign in to follow this  
Zachariah

Mining Overhaul

It has been a big project for the Wurmpedia team to overhaul the Mining article so it can go on the new format of the front page of the Wurmpedia. 

With the help of Keenan I was able to do it. I think it looks really great and is gonna help out a lot of Vets, returning and new players alike. 

Check it out :D

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mining

• Like 1

Outside of some minor typos, it looks great!

All we need to hope for now with all the wiki renovations is a better way to read the Wiki ingame.

Tile type Mining By-Products
Rock Rock Shards
Slate Marble Shards
Marble Marble Shards
Iron Vein Iron Ore
Copper Vein Copper Ore
Tin Vein Tin Ore
Zinc Vein Zinc Ore
Lead Vein Lead Ore
Silver Vein Silver Ore
Gold Vein Gold Ore
Mining Resources

This is the graph you have that shows what people mine and what it produces. Slate shows as producing marble shards. Other than this the whole thing looks great. Would love to see a pic of a player mining added to top right side.

Tarlynn fixed. I guess mine and keenan's eyes got used to the page and i didnt catch it :P and I like the idea of a player mining but I would have to check with keenan. 

• Like 1

Outside of some minor typos, it looks great!

All we need to hope for now with all the wiki renovations is a better way to read the Wiki ingame.

Edited by Zachariah

I believe so but that table was left over from the original post I will confirm though

Edit: Everyone I have talked to said that 85-90 should be mining on lead, tin, and zinc. 

Edited by Zachariah

After about 50 tunnelling actions - should be tunneling

Standing on a flat cave tile will permit the levelling - should be leveling

are typically unfavourable  in mines - should be unfavorable

nice work

Edited by Pashka

It is possible to surface mine too deep outside a mine to open a mine properly. What happens if you surface mine below 20 I believe you can still create a mine entrance, but will not be able to proceed beyond that point, even if you try to mine from the inside out to the entrance.

nice work

thanks

It is possible to surface mine too deep outside a mine to open a mine properly. What happens if you surface mine below 20 I believe you can still create a mine entrance, but will not be able to proceed beyond that point, even if you try to mine from the inside out to the entrance.

It wont let you according to the mining warnings page

Everyone is in full agreement there.

Looks good! 

I'd also like to thank everyone for helping with their feedback. That's one of the most important parts of making these posts, as one person (or even two in this case) may not see everything.

• Like 1

somehow I do not see there that message about side shaft, which will most probably stop you from mining further (you have to solve it from other side first)

is that situation already removed from game and I missed it?

Edited by Zakerak

nice work

The original spelling is just fine - this is just the difference between English and the American version of English.

• Like 1

The original spelling is just fine - this is just the difference between English and the American version of English.

May be true but when i went into to edit it was easy because the wiki marked them as being spelled wrong 

Just one point : not just the mayor but any citizen with mining right can mine on deed reinforced walls

Great work everyone. I would think that updating Wurmpedia is a never-ending job because of all the updates. I know what an invaluable resource it is for many players.

It is nice that the editors can receive a bit of praise from time to time.

• Like 2

It's worth noting that the skill levels at which certain veins give optimum skill gains is only a very rough guide - you can extend the range of a particular vein type by adjusting your pick QL.  Really, the only way to optimise skill gain is to look at your product, and to keep as much of it as possible in the 1 < X < 40 range for your combination of skill, vein and pick - 50% is a good basis to aim for, but you can do better.  I'm not sure that different vein types affect the size of the ticks at any given skill (my experimentation indicates they don't, but I wasn't really testing for this), just the likelihood of actually getting a tick (1.01 - 39.99 QL product).  As such, the vein 'difficulty' provides a starting point for this process; it isn't the whole answer, tho, which is what the current page implies (IMO).

Otherwise, looking good!

• Like 2

+1 on comment from Pandalet. The ore type seems indifferent on tick sizes - and ticks are given for all results with ql from 1.01 to 39.99.

Thanks for the page update you have done!

Edited by Jaz

<offtopic>

Sneaking a little message in before I go away; this is great work and I and the rest of the team are happy with the direction the Wurmpedia is going in. We're looking for more editors like Keenan and  Zachariah. Remember you don't need to be a staff member to be an editor, only someone of reasonable experience in Wurm and have a lot of enthusiasm.

I'm hoping for 6-9 months of structured projects like this to get the Wurmpedia to a level where we can trust the information, understand it clearly and clear out the trash. Once that's done, we can look to implementing some awesome features and make the Wurmpedia the best gaming Wiki there is.

So if you're up for that challenge, drop me a PM with an application and I'll look to getting you added, all things good, by the time I'm back from my holidays.

</offtopic>

• Like 1