Sign in to follow this  
bdew

No publicity is bad publicity... right?

Did people actually read the post that Rolf wrote, instead of an "article" that is just designed to try to sound as sensational as possible? There are backups, but restoring only small sections would have caused inconsenstensies across the whole database. Instead, it was deemed too dangerous and it was left alone.

+1

A backup that takes too long to restore, is a backup that might as well not exist.

The fact that Rolf "accepted the loss" and decided that he didn't promise anything retroactively (even though the mails he sent clearly state otherwise) is even more worrying to me.

Well, if it all burns down and it takes them 2 days to restore the burned down servers in hardware and all... thats a worthy backup for me... but it has to exist in the first place.

A local snapshot of a database is NOT a backup.... and as it seems Rolf didn't even have that.

Not restoring a database that would take more than a day worth of work as it seems now... as everything else would have been clearly worth it just to avoid certain disucssions and rumos from spinging up.... welp yea, I for one would have done it... not like it would have stoped the other devs from working on their stuff... doesn't take a bunch of people to watch a progress bar move and then verify some things.

(thats assuming their backup system - if there is one - is relatively recent and not from the 1980's)

Wurm is small, has a small community... I like the game - don't get me wrong, but things like this can easily pull away a lot of people and i'm not talking about some piss pots missing or a spyglass... couldn't care less for that.

The Management has shown a very odd behavior here which concerns me a lot more.

EverQuest recently pulled likewise stunts with their TLPs and I feel game studios do this because it's their god giving right to toy with players because they own the game and if they change something and the players don't like it... welp we are free to vote with out wallet...

Then again... it's easy to abandon a char in EQ really - specially if it's only a month or two old, but in the case of Wurm... it's sorta addicting and on top of that people have put months or years into their deeds and characters... to abandon that ain't easy and we may just as well will have to suck up a lot more that COULD be coming in the future.

EDIT:

As I feel a bit odd rethinking things... I wanna add a few things.

When I read the news yesterday my first thought was "wow... that guy has the guts in the right place to admit he did something wrong in the first place" - so thumbs up for that.

I still feel a bit weird though about doing open heart surgery to a database mhhh... maybe the danger involved was just not realized fully and he gave it a shot... who knows, but at my workplace we do end up at these "do or don't you will be damned anyhow" moments as well.. he tried, it didn't work out... he was being honest and honestly it feels a bit bad how it turned out.

The Backup thing... god knows, really... honestly I wouldn't mind if someone official could enlight us on the one or other thing without giving out any information that could show hackers a way in of course. Honestly, I do believe there is a proper backup, otherwise I would be up and packing already. ;)

The compare with the recent EQ mess... well, maybe a bit missplaced as well. (what the EQ guys did was a bit worse... more like false advertising right from the getgo and then abusing their power to change rules and leave people with a messed up decision to make)

Rolf had to decide as I guess... either get the information back into the database and if that should have been done in a proper way without causing inconsitencies or other issues it would have probably be compareable to a rollback of a day.. or two... depending on when that misshap went down.

Killing hours of work ~1000 people have put towards the game since that misshap for sure isn't worth a few urine potions or whatever else.

Sure it sucks for those who should have goten a free toy of sorts or whatever... but think about it, maybe you are the same guy who just got a rare...and then... it's rolled back.... so you could have a spyglass a title or a urine potion instead of that rare.

I mean it's not up to me to decide whats worth more to someone... and iirc Rolf stated that the system should work properly now so that even if people didn't get it now, they will at some point.

While I agree on the point of the reminder emails... that may should be changed, I never viewed these things as anything remotely important or game changing for me. (of course other people may have a different viewpoint here but yea...)

Anyhow, just felt like adding this for some odd reason... the post as it was still remains up there but as you can see, I don't feel exactly right anymore about it and yea... lets just hope the lesson was learned for everybody.

Edited by Milkdrop

Well, if there is No publicity then yes that may be bad, if publicity is desired. Then again, if there is No publicity it can't be bad, or even good. So I can't conclusively respond with "Right", or even wrong for that matter, not that it does matter. Matter of fact, if the complete facts are unknown then the usual counterpoints made within these forums are based upon little other than suppositions, I suppose. Who knows?

Now if this is pertaining to that link which I haven't bothered to check, then my comments are more free from a bias of perception unintended to sway points to my own point of view. All is well then, as this linkey just provided more fodder for complaining for those so inclined. As for me, I play the game in a slightly reclined position, which perhaps is why I am not inclined to comment further.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

This article is pretty dumb, its like someone went out of there way to complain here over yellow potions made of urine. :wacko:

The point is that Rolf did something dumb and then posted about it without including an apology. Just like with Sparta.

• Like 1

Rolf had to decide as I guess... either get the information back into the database and if that should have been done in a proper way without causing inconsitencies or other issues it would have probably be compareable to a rollback of a day.. or two... depending on when that misshap went down.

Killing hours of work ~1000 people have put towards the game since that misshap for sure isn't worth a few urine potions or whatever else.

Sure it sucks for those who should have goten a free toy of sorts or whatever... but think about it, maybe you are the same guy who just got a rare...and then... it's rolled back.... so you could have a spyglass a title or a urine potion instead of that rare.

I mean it's not up to me to decide whats worth more to someone... and iirc Rolf stated that the system should work properly now so that even if people didn't get it now, they will at some point.

That situation should never even happen. When you have to choose "do i screw some players out of rewards i promised for the money they gave me, or do i screw everyone over with a rollback" - it's a good indication that you did something very dumb to get there.

Maybe that's why it rubs me the wrong way - i know as a developer if i did something like that i would most probably be looking for a new job right now.

What's worse, instead of an appology, we get that "not part of the sale" nonsense. And that's what pisses me off, not potions.

• Like 2

I feel like maybe I'm one of the few people who honestly doesn't care about the rewards program.  Sure it was nice to randomly receive something unexpected, but it's kinda like Christmas; you shouldn't expect gifts but it's nice when you get some.

Personal opinion; as long as the game wasn't broken by this small inconvenience in a system that was unnecessary to begin with - I'm perfectly fine. :)

Edited by Slickshot

Sorta weird people are badmouthing MOP for giving wurm publicity... might be smarter to start sending them GOOD news?