Sign in to follow this  
bdew

No publicity is bad publicity... right?

It's weird that they thought that was newsworthy.

As I posted there, I was not even aware this was an issue before I read it on Massively. They should write about my problems getting good casts instead!

Edited by Cista
  • Like 3

It's weird that they thought that was newsworthy.

As I posted there, I was not even aware this was an issue before I read it on Massively. They should write about my problems getting good casts instead!

That site isn't Massively. It looks like a clone. Massively is owned by Engadget now, and goes by the brand "Engadget Gaming". Sorry, Joystiq it would appear to be. I haven't used Massively in quite a while. :)

Edited by Keenan

This article is pretty dumb, its like someone went out of there way to complain here over yellow potions made of urine. :wacko:

• Like 1

That site isn't Massively. It looks like a clone. Massively is owned by Engadget now, and goes by the brand "Engadget Gaming". Sorry, Joystiq it would appear to be. I haven't used Massively in quite a while. :)

It is Massively.

Joystiq shut it down, and Bree Royce kickstarted this new Massively, preserving the whole stock of writers. That's why it looks like a clone.

Edited by Cista

It is Massively.

Joystiq shut it down, and Bree Royce kickstarted this new Massively, preserving the whole stock of writers. That's why it looks like a clone.

Interesting! I actually found the writing to be very dull. Due to being staff here, I went away from the Wurm articles and ventured to my former love of EverQuest 2 - and I just thought it was link bait for the most part. Hence my original post. Thank you for updating me :) 

This article is pretty dumb, its like someone went out of there way to complain here over yellow potions made of urine. :wacko:

Things like database corruptions is not a thing to be taken lightly as a game company.

Nor is memory leaks.

People tend to say "put it on steam!" all the time, but they don't realise that tremendous issues like those would create massive ammounts of negative PR for non-alpha games.

There is a lot of things just downright bad about wurm that would quickly get noticed by media and steam reviews, however there is a lot of good things too but they would probably be quite outshadowed.

Fortunetly for wurm it aims at a certain nieche of players and not the general gaming world, thus its able to attract those and get a small loyal playerbase.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

It was started (using crowdfunding) by a good chunk of the creative crew from Massivel, after the original Massively.com and Joystiq was shut down by AOL

The comments make a good point. If Rolf knowingly screwed with the database without a backup, what else is he gonna break? (again)

It was started (using crowdfunding) by a good chunk of the creative crew from Massivel, after the original Massively.com and Joystiq was shut down by AOL

Cista mentioned that above. I made my original post based on a few articles I had read that just felt like linkbait. Could just be that writer (I wasn't paying attention entirely, I was more out to see if this was a creditable news source or just another clone).

I stand corrected and I shall now gracefully bow out as I have no further comments on the topic at hand. :)

His solution of course is even better ... "Screw it.. we didn't promise you anything." Despite sending emails "if you buy prem, you get x". If I were close to getting spyglass atm, I would be pretty pissed.

Why do i get the feeling that Bdew himself is "anon" that posted this?

Also, what a useless website, lol.

• Like 2

meh, what i see out of this is that a player tipped massively that something went wrong. Making something impacting a small part of the playerbase (that might never be involved in the loyalty program) who never repremmed (gone players / perma alts  / whatever), article worthy is just defaming wurm online.

yes, things can go wrong, happens all the time, why focus on a little problem on a bonus program (which mostly give you yellow potions anyway) instead of all the late bug fixes and UI improvment.

Hmm yea thats a valid point... if you are a dev or even just a sysadmin and you play around with a database that holds the worth of thousands of euros in virtual goods that people spent months or years on you shouldn't temper with that lightly and always have a backup in case of a burned down datacenter anyhow.

Heck at my workplace every one of our local office servers even has a backup going daily and every week we change the disks to have at least one in a different area in case the server burns down with the attached backup.

Playing a highly time and grind intense game knowling my chars ain't safe at all because there are zero backups in case of ups... hmmm... sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Planing a weekly maintenace that maybe takes an hour or two depending on the amount of data to backup might not be a bad idea.

(and yea while not knowing if they learned from the Wurmageddon thing and maybe do have a backup of sorts... maybe just the subscription stuff wasn't included... well who knows... but it would sure help if they could explain this a bit further... first time ever I see a MMO apparently not having a backup of sorts and if that "assumption" is wrong or just partially wrong then i'm more than happy to be corrected of course.)

• Like 1

hacky tiny unknown site, and the commenters are all forumie whiners. I am not even going to pay attention to it. Just a way for those who are too sour to quit, a place to cry more. 

It's getting quite pathetic, sorry to say, but I don't see any guns to anyones heads...

Think I'll go make a list of all the other games Ive played where ACTUAL negligent behaviour caused ACTUAL damage to paying customers.

Edited by Marlon

Pretty sure wurmageddon guaranteed there will always be backups, the occasional rollbacks prove there are backups.

i think people are mistaking what happened for something else. there are backups, implementing this backup would be far too time consuming for little worth so rolf decided to accept the loss and move on.

this doesnt mean our toons arent backed up and safe, it just means for a few lost premium months, it isnt worth the time.

Pretty sure wurmageddon guaranteed there will always be backups, the occasional rollbacks prove there are backups.

i think people are mistaking what happened for something else. there are backups, implementing this backup would be far too time consuming for little worth so rolf decided to accept the loss and move on.

this doesnt mean our toons arent backed up and safe, it just means for a few lost premium months, it isnt worth the time.

And thats just as good as an assumption as mine, without having Rolf or a dev state this there could be just no backups as well.

At least Rolf fiddling with the DB and messing stuff up without even testing it in a lab envrionment doesn't really make me think that he seems to play it the safe way but rather quick and dirty.

The least they could have done was use a newer screen shot. Maybe their database was corrupted and they lost the newer one.  :P

It's not an assumption, rollbacks are when a saved state is reloaded. i.e. a backup

A backup that takes too long to restore, is a backup that might as well not exist.

The fact that Rolf "accepted the loss" and decided that he didn't promise anything retroactively (even though the mails he sent clearly state otherwise) is even more worrying to me.

A backup that takes too long to restore, is a backup that might as well not exist.

The fact that Rolf "accepted the loss" and decided that he didn't promise anything retroactively (even though the mails he sent clearly state otherwise) is even more worrying to me.

Well nobody here (well i dont) knows what database they use and how big it is.

From what i know, restoring a single table in some database can be hell and to much effort sometimes. But i guess it all depends on the situation

My dev db is a monthly snapshot of minimal data, and takes 6 hours to run on a toku setup. Anyone that quickly wants to do this, has no clue.

Did people actually read the post that Rolf wrote, instead of an "article" that is just designed to try to sound as sensational as possible? There are backups, but restoring only small sections would have caused inconsistensies across the whole database. Instead, it was deemed too dangerous and it was left alone.

• Like 7