Sign in to follow this  
Darkbringer

planed scheduled server downtimes please

I wonder if i am the only one get annoyed bei the server downtimes.

Well i know sometimes it is needed, but is it possible to scheduled the times better?

example every day at 12:00 cet

But not one day about 10:00 the next about 14:00 and the day after about 12:30.

• Like 2

Id rather they be done as needed especially if something is very broken

• Like 6

The downtimes are there when they are needed. They are not needed every day, sometimes 7 days go by without downtime.

Software Development is rarely never 100% predictable

• Like 4

well wurm got a bonus i love that game

but

i think every other online game i played got this more scheduled downtimes its ok

but is wurm realy so broken that this well emergency shutdowns are needed ?

it sometimes takes me realy hard down if i used my sleepbonus and would craft about 1 hour to get skill and after 10 min he server shutdown hurrraaayyyy

schedule update : something gone wrong... wait 7 days before the next one and rollback everything ?!

nope, better to have a new restart to fix things.

• Like 1

schedule update : something gone wrong... wait 7 days before the next one and rollback everything ?!

nope, better to have a new restart to fix things.

That's not what anyone said though. If it's an emergency, sure.

The downtime used to be at 11 (10?) Swedish time back in the days, who knows why it isn't now.

Edited by Rotab

I wonder if i am the only one get annoyed bei the server downtimes.

Well i know sometimes it is needed, but is it possible to scheduled the times better?

example every day at 12:00 cet

In the more sophisticated high budget games this is common practice. In Wurm, not gonna happen. You can depend on that. Anyway, no big deal, as they are done currently this means that they are getting accomplished when Dev time allows, which is good.

=Ayes=

The only thing I could ever wish for is a longer notice of shutdown time. 20-30 mins would be nice.

• Like 2

The only thing I could ever wish for is a longer notice of shutdown time. 20-30 mins would be nice.

I'm happy its being worked on a little more notice would be awsome unless it's a huge issue

Especially Xanapoo becomes extremely laggy past 2 days of uptime. Scheduled downtime would in no way mess with the game if it encountered a problem in between the scheduled downtimes - They could just restart an extra time and we would not be harmed by it... There would still be a daily back-up every day so the only difference would be reduced lag.

Fun fact: We used to have scheduled downtimes and it worked a lot better than running the servers until they crashed. We haven't had it since they changed server hosts so I don't think the devs know how to, the scheduled restarts were probably a service one of the previous hosts offered.

Software Development is rarely never 100% predictable

It's also not 0% predictable, unless you're doing it wrong.  The recent server upgrade downtime is a great example of how to do it - you know you're going to need to take stuff offline for a bit, so telegraph it in advance.  If the developers know they're going to be rolling out a batch of features next Tuesday, set a specific time and make a post warning that there'll be a bit of downtime then. 

'no notice' or 'no changes' aren't the only possible options, y'know...

• Like 1

Ah the fun of predicting the inherently unpredictable... besides predicting its going to be unpredictable.

i think every other online game i played got this more scheduled downtimes its ok

but is wurm realy so broken that this well emergency shutdowns are needed ?

I bet you every other online game you played was fully developed with the exception of expansions. Wurm is far from fully developed and thus needs downtime to fix bugs and apply updates.

DDO has been down most the past couple days. It happens to the best of them.