Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Horses Traits Changed

As the title says I have at current count and still checking others- 5 horses that have had thier traits changed /dropped. I had 4 speeds that are now 3 speeds. I have one horse that was a 4 speed that is now a single speed horse.

WTF happened? and can this be fixed?

• Like 1

I want to add to this.

Over the last week, a citizen on my deed has bred about 4 horses now, all of which have 4-5 traits... One having 7 traits. Some of these are 3-4 speed horses.

Her Animal Husbandry current sits at 18.01 and most of these horses were bred when it was more like 10-12 AH.

Yeah, someone with about 10-12 AH has been breeding horses with 4-7 traits.

This too many traits on bred horses thing seems to not be an isolated incident. Since I have ah 50+ and breed a lot of 5 speeds, I often get asked to check the foals of newer players living in the nearby area. I first became aware of it when visiting Hartwig and Lexia at Lexwig Haven, and have personally seen the 5 speed 7 traited horse, and several 4 speeds she should not be capable of producing. I am aware that you occasionally get lucky, but it seemed to be a bit too many and the 7 traits was over the top for her AH level, since it should've required ah 70.

I got interested in this even further after being asked to check another neighbors first ever newborn foal.  I went to see Livionbounds at Livionbounds Ranch to check the foal and we were both expecting a 1 or 2 speed at most since he has an AH of 7 and it was the first time he had ever bred. He produced a 4 speed horse.

Then today I was visiting with Alauras at The Haven and she asked if I would mind checking her new horses. Alauras has ah of 28, and all three of the foals were 5 speeds.

I have to say while I am pleased that my neighbors got some nice horses, that all sense of achievement I felt in hitting ah 50 and being able to produce 5 speed horses is pretty much gone. Since that is what my main focus has been and my deed was specifically designed for breeding horses; I have spent a ton of time grinding the skill, used my sleep bonus on it as opposed to other skills, and built tons of animal pens in anticipation of the day I would be able to breed good horses. It is somewhat of a slap in the face to now see new and low ah players cranking them out like mad, and makes me feel as if grinding the skill was a lot of wasted time since now everyone in the q15 area seems to be able to breed them without any effort at all. Please fix this!!

We probably need to keep in mind this thread is now about two different issues. :

1) Horses that literally lost traits. Sunvortex's original post. Horses who once had 5-6 traits and now that same horse has 3-4 traits. I would like to confirm things like .. is there any chance the AH skill of the person checking the horse changed? Were any of these horses also ones that had the "Corrupted" trait at any time? Did the person checking the traits have any deaths or "head inhiries" affecting their skills? (As far as I know head inuries won;t affect a skill like that but I know it can affect things like captaining a boat by lowering Mind Control, so many other skills can be temporarily affected too?)

2) Second issue is that be  breeders seem to be achieving foals with too many traits for their skill level. 

I am curious, on group 2, which specific server you are from. Like most of you, I believed the number of traits was tied entirely to the person breeding, while the combination of which traits you got was tied to the horses.  However, I have also since been told (and this may be wrong) that the number of traits can be adjusted upward  somewhat by the genetic lineage of the  parents, in that horses with a extremely long line of breeding and dozens of branches in their family trees, have a higher minimum of traits.  In other words, if you start on a brand new server and breed two wild horses, even if you have very high AH you won;t get more than 1-3 traits. As you get successive genrations that raises to 4 5 6 traits, capped I thought by your skill. But I have since heard that number of traits can very slowly increase on an older server like Indy if the horse's genealogy line goes back for years and years (say, back to 2010) and scores of baby foals growing up to have babies of their own. Only by a small fraction each generation but after 5 years and maybe 40 tiers of generations it slowly adds up to an extra trait or two. I don;t know if this is true, but it is not the first time I have heard of brand new players breeding 4-5  speed horses on an older server like Indy.  

As a for instance, this section on Bloodlines was removed from the Wurmpedia accoring to its TALK sectiom:

Blood Lines

"Longer blood lines will support more traits. (For example: A 4th generation dog can have up to 6 or so traits where a 1st generation dog (the first offspring from wild dogs) usually only have 0-3 traits.)"

Going to remove this from the notes section, as it appears to be outdated. I've been making note of every horse born on my deed since Pristine launched in December, and number of traits appears to be purely based on AH at the time of breeding (though of course, with a bit of randomness thrown in). I have data to back up that two wild horses will produce 4-5 trait babies quite frequently with 50+ AH.

--Mayrin (talk) 16:41, 5 April 2013 (CDT)

I was not behind the original "Bloodlines" entry but my own experience from breeding wild horses with the opening of both Deliverance and Xanadu, was that I would usually at 50 AH get 0-3  traited foals if both parents were wild. it would not be until several generations in that I would start cranking out ones with 4-5 traits, and several generations more to get the right five traits.  On the other hand, I have never managed to get an unexpectedly  high number of traits on fairly old "bloodlines" on Indy, but I have not tested much with my low AH alts. However, new players I have given horses to will occasionally report  more traits than they should  but I shrugged and forgot it later.  Then I remembered the Bloodlines theory. Then I forgot it again :P The first times I assumed I had given them a pregnant mare without noticing. 

However if this is occurring on the younger Xanadu server, that throws that "long bloodlines give higher minimum traits" theory out the door (although I don;t know how many generations make a "long bloodline") . It looks like Hartwig at least may be from Xanadu...?

It is also  possible when devs were messing around with the breeding code for something else, someone slipped and changed a line that they did not intend to change. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

However if this is occurring on the younger Xanadu server, that throws that "long bloodlines give higher minimum traits" theory out the door (although I don;t know how many generations make a "long bloodline") . It looks like Hartwig at least may be from Xanadu...?

Yes, it's from Xanadu as far as I'm aware. Elizarya may want to confirm.

/confused :)

Guess it's time to get me female horses and breed. I have around 27 AH.

On the other hand, these do seem indeed different issues, both with horse traits but no more.

I have to say while I am pleased that my neighbors got some nice horses, that all sense of achievement I felt in hitting ah 50 and being able to produce 5 speed horses is pretty much gone. Since that is what my main focus has been and my deed was specifically designed for breeding horses; I have spent a ton of time grinding the skill, used my sleep bonus on it as opposed to other skills, and built tons of animal pens in anticipation of the day I would be able to breed good horses. It is somewhat of a slap in the face to now see new and low ah players cranking them out like mad, and makes me feel as if grinding the skill was a lot of wasted time since now everyone in the q15 area seems to be able to breed them without any effort at all. Please fix this!!

The AH skill in general is the most unrewarded. There are 9 good animal traits, but if you grind your AH up into the 90s, you still will never get a 9-skilled horse. There is no benefit to grinding up into the 90s, whereas in all the other skills there is a reward. Also, once you get past the 50s, your odds of getting a non-five speed go up also. You start getting 4 speed traits, with another decent-but-not-speed trait thrown in. I'm in the 70s, and it's a miracle when I get a five-speed bison from two five-speed bison parents. Or hell horse. Heck all of the animals, but I just watch the bison, hell horses, horses, and cows/bulls. We don't get rares. We don't get 9-trait animals. And now you don't even need to grind to make five-speeds.

And also - we need to maintain large and/or many deeds for a big enough breeding pool, due to animal ratio.

Edited by LorraineJ

I am not sure what constitutes a longer blood line but I have witnessed many players with lower AH breeding horses with several traits.  It has seemed to me that if they start with 2 good horses that it is possible even with below 10AH to achieve a 5-speed horse.  I don't recall seeing much on the horses that began as wild horses for them.

Yes, it's from Xanadu [...]

Guess it's time to get me female horses and breed. I have around 27 AH.

29-30 AH: I got a pair of 5sp horses from Elizarya, and bred the female with another 5sp (with more than 5 traits). Got a 3-speed horse.

31-32 AH: Second try, I bred the pair (5 speed, no extra traits I believe)

[15:10:12] <Ryshad> congrats, the new horse is a 5-speed called Ebonyraid

[15:11:13] <Amath> wow. Did you breed it lol

[15:11:48] <Ryshad> not that i can remember...whats your AH?

[15:12:12] <Amath> 32 XD

[13:08:54] It has fleeter movement than normal. It has a strong body. It has lightning movement. It can carry more than average. It has very strong leg muscles.

As far as we can tell, no one else could enter that pen. Looks like I bred a 5sp, at second try (first try with "pure 5sp" horses).

It would seem that my horses are magical and produce 5 speed offspring regardless of the ah of the breeder a good amount of the time :)

that is an interesting thing! i should look at my horses, but havent seen any of these things yet.

@LorraineJ

(its not true that we cant breed 9-trait-horses! Serpentarius breeds them alot!)

Edit: I have to corrigize me. I spoke with Serpentarius. He only can breed 8-trait Horses.

Edit: i got two horses too which have these trait problem. my walkingpie went down from a 5+ speeder to a 3 speeder. i culled her after that. and my wildheart became a 5speeder although he only was a 4speeder.

i want to know which thing these problem causes and if it is on xanadu only!

Edited by Chikiza