Sign in to follow this  
Gaeron

Ropes and climbing

I'd like the addition of pitons or something similar so we can anchor a rope to a tile. Depending on the length of the rope we can then move up /down it safely without falling. The weight of someone on the rope has an impact on the damage it takes when used, the rope's ql of course reducing that amount. Using the rope would be much less of a stamina drain compared to unassisted climbing.

Maybe allow tieing of ropes to trees to assist in climbing down with each rope (0.5kg) being a certain length (3 tiles?), so if you need longer you would need to combine ropes first.

would definately allow for more exploration of remote mountains.............wait  i live on one of those.....

could be very interesting if done properly.

would definately allow for more exploration of remote mountains.............wait   i live on one of those.....

could be very interesting if done properly.

+1 !

What's gotten into you? Way too simple, no way this can be good :P.

+1

If one player came across another player traveling up or down a rope can the player cut the rope or chop the tree down and they fall?

Could a grappling hook be added to then allow a player to climb over a wall?

The idea is nice but I can see it being abused immediately

This might give ropes a perpose, rather then just dragging animals and draining traders.

Grab trees, grab hand would be nice. I hate to see my friends fall down when they are right infront of me, rofl! And specially when it is a tree that I only slide off when I fall on it.

The problem is getting up in the first place, not getting down. :P

The problem is getting up in the first place, not getting down. :P

That would be a job for those grapple hooks.

A very good idea, as one who spends most of his time on top of a mountain, around and on sheer rock faces, I can say that would be very handy.

Perhaps magnify it's effect for those with higher climbing skill? Just a suggestion  :D

You should be able to repel down a rock cliff and mine while suspended in air :o ...

Or you could just make a mine on the ground and find the same stuff but hey where's the fun in that?

For when usable mounts are included, rope+2 trees = surprise.

I like it, but only for the rappelling down steep hills part. That means you can easily cement it to a tile border, then "drag" or something similar to get down the slope. I also think the length of the rope should equate to how many dirts you can climb down safely before dropping. Something like 10 dirts per kg.

wasnt this suggested previously?

along with crampons, ladders and a bunch of other things?

I love this...it should be on GV.

Another use for steel for pitons/grapple hooks perhaps?

So like .50kg rope/tile (might wanna cap it at 20 tiles at a time)w/ a grappling hook on it to throw and lower stamina usage for the climb of that section by say 80% ?

Mechanics:

My 10kg kg grappling rope which I threw a couple times before catching hold 20 tiles up the cliff allows me to climb with about an 80% stamina reduction.

Sounds grrrrrreeat !

So like .50kg rope/tile (might wanna cap it at 20 tiles at a time)w/ a grappling hook on it to throw and lower stamina usage for the climb of that section by say 80% ?

Mechanics:

My 10kg kg grappling rope which I threw a couple times before catching hold 20 tiles up the cliff allows me to climb with about an 80% stamina reduction.

Sounds grrrrrreeat !

Add possibility of rope breaking (ql dependant),

plus ability to regain stamina (slowly) when you stop moving

Make it so the hook can catch in trees, but not in grass

The necrobump to end all necrobumps. 

Spoiler

358k7d.jpg

This was an excellent idea. Would love to see it added at some point.

Would make mountain climbing a lot more realistic than stam sandwiches and fence ladders. 

EDIT: To add on the original suggestion, being as ropes don't actually have length, perhaps it could be one rope per 1-3 tiles and either use stam or act kind of like a ladder. You climb up one and hang onto the rope, if you activate climb at that point you can move off the rope, if you don't activate climb and move off you fall. Link multiple ropes together and climb all the way up and down. 

Regardless of whether it's stam based or like a ladder I think it would be a wicked idea and add a whole new element to exploration. 

Edited by Matholameu
Added suggestion