Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Issues with the premium awards

There will be a problem with accounts that reprem and the premium awards due to a database error I made yesterday.

Many of you may disagree with the following I write in the linked post but I have to try and explain why we can't spend more time trying to fix this:

"These awards are not something we write about in the shop as part of the sales but a side bonus which we do not consider part of the offer of paying for Wurm Online. It's like a pianist playing in the restaurant or a nice entree course you don't see advertised. You may come to expect it, but it isn't part of the meal you pay for since it's not listed in the menu and we can only regret when it doesn't work properly."

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/111027-spyglasses-for-12-month-premium-and-bugged-consecutively-month/?p=1326215

Unfortunately getting it right could take weeks from development and we need to focus on other things. I can only apologize to you who didn't or won't receive your awards properly.

• Like 26

Honestly nobody really quarreled before the reward system. I take it as a 'thank you', kind of like when you donate to servers. Maybe it's just me, but as long as the development is focused where it's more vital, I really don't care too much about loosing one or two reward items if that's the case. Thank you for the update.

Edited by AndreC
  • Like 7

Just take it out if you can't spend the time on it. I guess it would be better then having a broken system left in the game for people to complain about and it did nothing but devalue things anyway. (the transmutation rods i can not even sell one for 30s now when they cost more then that at the traders) 

Edited by Kegan

*some* people got a spyglass without deserving it, so i'm not complaining.

Thanks for the update! At least now we know what's going on and i also would rather see time invested into something else to develop the game.

Weren't these rewards put it in to offset the price increase? Premium rewards, to reward you for being premium for x amount of time. They are a reward for paying for premium lol.

But if you have to put resources elsewhere, just disable the rewards until you can afford to get it working correctly :)

• Like 1

Thanks Rolf.

Most of us already assumed that, and it should be clear.

Some others will obviously create fake troll accounts as an outlet for their sarcastic wit.

*some* people got a spyglass without deserving it, so i'm not complaining.

Edited by Marlon

I would suggest removing the rewards system to be honest, but if something like this was desired perhaps have a check on the 1st of every month that if an account is premium it can win either a small amount of seryll, a yellow potion or something more special. Obviously the chances for seryll/special items are much lower than yellow potions. We don't need a complex loyalty scheme such as this, I don't pay premium for rewards, I pay to enjoy the game and the community.

[13:47:15] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of the Ant, week 4 of the starfall of Diamonds, 988. That's 2680 days, 16 hours and 17 minutes ago.

[13:47:15] You have been premium a total of 73 months until Dec 2013.

[13:47:15] You have been premium consecutively for 20 months since Dec 2013.

Edit: Just to show that I've played before and after this system regardless.

Edited by Fooligun

The yellow potions that smelled of urine and alcohol were a nice joke the first time.

After that they just seemed to be an insult to the players.

Randomize the potions or just get rid of this premium gift. as no one adds premium just to get a yellow potion.

You could get rid of rewards completely.

Nice presents for those who are premium during the winter holidays is sufficient.

And a lot simpler.

Edited by zorako

Thanks Rolf.

Most of us already assumed that, and it should be clear.

Some others will obviously create fake troll accounts as an outlet for their sarcastic wit.

I was bragging about receiving a spyglass on a fairly new account, cynical .

• Like 2

The only sad thing about this solution is that people who did get multiple spyglasses because of multiple accounts will sell them for a premium again.  One solution i could think of is making spyglass a craftable item to keep them from being such premium price items. 

• Like 2

The spyglass is the only thing i like really.

Its to bad you just cant make them , and have different gift bags ...

Worth noting that although you don't advertise premium rewards on the website (not that I've checked, mind you), you do use them as an incentive to re-premium in the 'your premium is about to run out' emails.  If you've accepted that the premium reward system is non-functional, and that isn't going to change, you probably want to remove the mention in the emails.

No, I want a spyglass!!!! 

But yeah, if you can't spend time on fixing it up to a functional level then there's no point in having it there, remove it as a whole. As other people said above, I see it as a 'thank you' for spending money on the game and for the development rather than a deserved perk for paying, it's not something we need but it's OK to get something in return once in a while as a thank you, because after all what would this or any other online game be without it's players. 

"These awards are not something we write about in the shop as part of the sales but a side bonus which we do not consider part of the offer of paying for Wurm Online. It's like a pianist playing in the restaurant or a nice entree course you don't see advertised. You may come to expect it, but it isn't part of the meal you pay for since it's not listed in the menu and we can only regret when it doesn't work properly."

Edited by bdew

Perhaps just make the next christmas-gift a spyglass, that way everyone missing out now will be getting it after all (with a few months more patience). And agree, better just take the reward-system out if it's not functioning as it should (including any mention of it anywhere...).

Edited by Kianga
  • Like 1

The only premium item that I personally found really useful was the spyglass. Please make it a craftable item so that all who want one can enjoy one.

~Nappy

• Like 1

Hello Rixk!

The premium time on your Wurm Online account is about to expire. This means that you'll fall out of our long-term customer reward program. Wouldn't that be sad?

Your next award is Item: Spyglass which will occur when you have 12 months of premium time since this program started (you currently have 11 since then).

You will also be granted one yellow illusion potion with the quality level of 100 if you don't let your premium time run out. Those are fun!

Our strong suggestion: Head to the Wurm Online shop now and re-prem!

Shop - http://store.wurmonline.com/

or maybe

Launch the Wurm Client to start playing.

Please enjoy!

The Wurm Online Team.

IRC - http://rizon.net/chat Channel #wurm

Forum - http://forum.wurmonline.com/

Wiki - http://wurmpedia.com/wiki/

Blog - http://wurmonline.tumblr.com//

Register - http://register.wurmonline.com/

To ensure proper delivery please add noreply@wurmonline.com to your address book.

© Code Club AB 2013. All rights reserved.

Edited by rixk
  • Like 2

Overall I didn't care much about the rewards anyway.

Of all the legacy rewards I got, I only used the ore transmutation rod. Seryll stuff isn't good because it so hard to get lumps to do maintenance. I sold it all. I don't remember all the legacy things I got but the ore rod is the only one I actually used.

All those alcohol urine potions I sacrificed for favor. I did like the spyglass but I think those should be craftable.

yep, just remove it completely and move on to more important things :)

+1

I don't always test my code changes, but when I do, I do it in production.  :)

You guys should print out a copy of this meme (https://twitter.com/programmingcom/status/320586991207059457) and post somewhere in the office. There's a copy of it displayed at my work and we all get a chuckle out of it from time to time.

In this industry, things don't always go down as smooth as whiskey. That is the cold. hard truth. Just gotta shake it off and move forward with a focus on the higher priority items.

Edited by Macadelic
  • Like 1

I don't want to support this unprofessionalism any longer. I am now gone. Fix your game and your people. O/

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 3

I will not support this unprofessionalism any longer. I am now gone. Fix your game and your staff. O/

*yawn*

• Like 5

Rolf,

Good to read that you have stopped devoting (wasting) time fiddling with rewards such as those yellow potions and spyglasses. On to more significant issues then. Excellent!

=Ayes=

All good.

I suggest to remove the lines computing all that stuff like consecutive months and premium since 2013 from /playtime and emails, if you're no longer gonna use them. And if you really want to add some side perks in the future, just randomize them between currently-premium accounts. If you are going to restart the counter instead, then restart it properly, start with today and move forward. Either way, don't keep a broken system in game, it only reminds people of whatever ideas or frustrations they had.