Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

My new take on Wurm

Thought i'd share this life changing experience, exposing myself to the ridicule from the people I have vowed to avoid, the forumites!

Having played for years, I got used to Wurm in my own sense. Helping noobs  on our settlement, dealing with their trash when they leave, grinding this and that skill.

Being frustrated at random issues, being frustrated at tedious work... Dying by running out of stamina on rocks, or being KOS'd by a neighbour who did not want to learn to speak english enough to warn us that we are building a road through his "future farmland which doesn't exist yet". Good times.

Then I moved to Xanadu, to start from scratch, and my mindset changed. Lucky enough to play with my fiancee (not many people are lucky enough to have gamer spouses), we started from scratch. It was great, the surival aspect was awesome, the whole mood was great. Xanadu was however, not for us. We moved back to our deed Plattekloof on Indy, upkeep was still good.

Then an unfortunate incident with our neighbour happened. Actually he was a new neighbour. Mckalister was the previous owner of the mountain top, he was a swell guy, quiet, understanding, hard working. He moved up there to avoid the rush of the south mountain highway, so many travellers heading to deliverance on fridays...

He went away, suddenly, not sure what happened. His place disbanded, and immediately a non-english speaking guy deeded it. We had this agreement with mckalister to build a road up there, and around the mountain side, and this guy didn't know or care. He saw us in local, added us to the KOS list, and just like that, we were butchered by his templars on the mountain side, with our corpses in unreachable places, enchanted weapons, fancy armour, all gone.

We left, angry and bitter... but this was a good break. I had time to think and plan, and know what I wanted from Independence. Independence!

Bygones...

I came back recently, and spent 2 weeks walking around, finding a good place. I have a friend who has been here since day 1 of Independence' life. She found a great spot, which I loved.

Things have been different ever since. I am playing my role, I am treating the land and my neighbours with respect. I gave up on my laziness. Instead of complaining and asking friends to "make this for me please, I don't have any foo Ore", I worked hard and did it myself. Instead of spending coins to buy things I was too unskilled to make, I made low quality versions of them myself, and dealt with it. It felt good.

I love the diversity. The political dramas between allies I both like :P - It's all good and needed, the spice that makes things nice. As long as they all handle it like adults.

I love my land, and I am slowly building up a new empire. Meerkatjie is still a digger of note, she still helps to move whole hills in a matter of hours, I will admit. But I know how to survive now. I have more work ahead of me now, than ever before, and I will do what i can for the good wurmians. Ill see you on the roads and I will send a wave. 

But the one thing, that made all the difference to me, is not having to look at people from various countries and cultures, clash over stupid music, wars, politics and epeens. I respectfully disabled chat, all chats, and I avoid the forums where possible. This has fixed my experience, and I am more immersed than ever :)

Mind you, I will still turn them on to do business, there are so much good folks out there, and the economy is important.

See you there.

*unfollows this post*

Edited by Marlon
  • Like 11

The gaming with your spouse can be a blessing or nightmare, one slip of your axe accidentally in the cow pen 3 or 400 times can buy you a lot of quality time on the couch =). 

• Like 6

I tend to turn off kchat and gchat  unless 1) I am bored or 2) I forgot to ^_^

An added side bonus is that I am personally convinced the game runs much smoother with all chats disabled, I think monitoring chat channels plus writing them all to logs,  adds immensely  to the game "overhead load"  so I like to strip things down to minimal, especially if I am running 2-3 clients. 

I also think, with a couple exceptions, that Indy is overall a nicer   place since the opening of Xanadu ;) as a new server tends to siphon off people with .. more excess energy.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Sometimes on fridays I have got myself a pack of beer and plans to spend whole evening playing Wurm until small hours.

Thats usually when I open kchat/gchat.

It rarely turns out good, but in the process it seemed like fun.

Saturdays following these beer-fridays are the "business days". Fridays I make alot of "good business deals" and out of feeling obligated, I sort them out and deliver during saturday.

It rarely makes any profit, but in the process of friday-dealmaking it seemed like fun.

Other times I tend to stick to alliance chat and keep myself relatively isolated from rest of community by just chatting with select few long-term friends.

So in a sense, same "fix" did it for me. I tend to use forums from work during the very quiet first hour in the morning, because I come to work as early as its possible. Other than that, I rarely look into forums.

• Like 1

I tend to turn off kchat and gchat  unless 1) I am bored or 2) I forgot to ^_^

An added side bonus is that I am personally convinced the game runs much smoother with all chats disabled, I think monitoring chat channels plus writing them all to logs,  adds immensely  to the game "overhead load"  so I like to strip things down to minimal, especially if I am running 2-3 clients. 

I also think, with a couple exceptions, that Indy is overall a nicer   place since the opening of Xanadu ;) as a new server tends to siphon off people with .. more excess energy.

I'm going to test this. If this actually works, you may never see me in global again. (Don't rejoice too soon. I haven't tested it yet.)

• Like 1

Rule of thumb for a peaceful WURM existence, have no neighbors. If the vermin decide to settle nearby ginormous walls and a seaside view make them irrelevant. So far anyway.  :P

• Like 2

Haha, so I hear.

But I really enjoy them in Local... at least an occasional passer by.

"being KOS'd by a neighbour who did not want to learn to speak english enough to warn us that we are building a road through his "future farmland which doesn't exist yet". "

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but are you not being a tad xenophobic?  Did you try to learn enough of their language to explain to them the deal you had with your previous neighbour?

"and immediately a non-english speaking guy deeded it. We had this agreement with mckalister to build a road up there, and around the mountain side, and this guy didn't know or care."

Again, the agreement was with your previous neighbour, not your new neighbour - is it not kind of unfair to automatically expect a different person to agree to a deal you made with someone else?

"But the one thing, that made all the difference to me, is not having to look at people from various countries and cultures"

Another example of your xenophobia. 

I am happy you are enjoying the game now but maybe if you were a bit more open to other people and cultures you might not have these problems in the first place!

• Like 1

Klaa lol, yeah.

I was going to lol at this dude's response, but I don't like to add chips to shoulders.

I wrote a fun little post, if he wants to read/assume/accuse me of xenophobia (rofl) then that's Ok.

For your information mr chip, we kindly tried to talk to this person several times. Then let it be. He KOS'd us while we were doing our natural day to day thing on deed. The moment we wandered south, we got attacked.

Enjoy GTA.

M

well no offense but reading this it seems you really love the drama.

and lol avoiding the forums? you have 500 posts

Edited by Brynden
  • Like 1

lol, yes, perspective.

I do hate the "General" types of people that post on forums, it gives the soft men, a place to look hard, a place to insult, abuse, batter, be sarcastic to staff etc. That's fine, it's their right to demonstrate their <insert here>. I also dislike drama, which is why I am laughing right now.  :D

I can't stop posting though, need to use it for business, and to communicate with the great folks too...  :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks this very old (by now) post. I have found the area you are talking about Marlon (prolly long gone by now, I know). I found some artifacts left in game by Mckalister. I always love hearing back stories of areas and really do appreciate your story.

TeeeBOMB

• Like 1

Hey teebomb I guess this guy really did like the forums as he posted 500 more but what a typical judgemental person.. I hope his eyes are open wide now.. and thank the gods for the archaelogical society I wurm.. heheheh.. grave digger of dead posts and artifacts heheheh...

• Like 1

As a Non native english speaker I also got the feeling you were being a bit xenophobic, but then i remembered i don't really care enough to get bothered and moved on.

On 8/20/2015 at 7:45 AM, Clatius said:

Rule of thumb for a peaceful WURM existence, have no neighbors.

This has always been my own rule of thumb. I'm not exactly a 'people person', but I still greet people who walk into local. Unfortunately, neighbors come to me (to ruin my peace and quiet).

A lot happens when you aren't real active. ?
EDIT: Oh wow.. I didn't realize this was a necro thread.

Edited by Benie
  • Like 1