Sign in to follow this  
roarkindrake

Fog Toggle

I dont know about most people but about half the people i know would rather be able to turn off fog than have it in game.  I do know there are some that like it most likely the same amount that do, so why not have a switch to turn it on/off at will because if your traveling or just in a mob spawn area it really sucks to not see whats around you.

• Like 2

IMO this suggestion is one of those first steps on the path to being able to toggle aggressive mobs or something like that. I like the ambience the fog gives and the challenges it produces. It's another facet of wurm that makes it different from other games and is part of the survival aspect of the game.

One might argue that that's all well and good, I can leave it toggled on, but that's not the point. For the sake of simplicity and ease of use, even many of the people who enjoy the challenges of fog would have it turned off. You might as well have it turned off permanently on PvP servers too because no one will give up the sight advantage there.

Basically in providing the toggle option, you may aswell remove fog entirely - which as you may have gathered, is not something I'd support either ;)

• Like 4

Fog, rain, and snow make my Macs lag and crash. They don't like particles.

Edited by LorraineJ

As much as I can see the usefulness of this I have to -1 this suggestion as it would take away some of the strategy to the game. I think that the game actually benefits from the fogs as it is supposed to be a survival game with realistic elements. If this is allowed then I should also be allowed to toggle day and night, stamina, mountains and lava. Yes that is some extreme examples but there are other things that need to be focused on and this is not even a long lasting effect in the game. Wait it out for 30 minutes and get some exercise.

• Like 1

As much as I would like to turn off fog at times, I must say its a part of wurm that I don't think should be able turned off.  I understand the why but sorry -1

• Like 2

then we might as well be able to turn off night, i like to be able to see, but would ruin my immersion so -1

• Like 3

MY IMMERSION!!!! OH MY IMMERSION!!!!!

EsbN5W3.png
NinBTX5.png
S8SU2iF.png
7oKxhMF.png

^ That isn't immersive, it's poorly handled fog implementation and I haven't spoken to anyone ingame so far who actually likes that crap. It gets extra bad if you're in a ship too, as if sailing isn't enough of a pain already.

+1 Improve the fog or let us turn that crap off.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3

As much as I would like to turn off fog at times, I must say its a part of wurm that I don't think should be able turned off.  I understand the why but sorry -1

• Like 1

MY IMMERSION!!!! OH MY IMMERSION!!!!!

EsbN5W3.png

NinBTX5.png

S8SU2iF.png

7oKxhMF.png

^ That isn't immersive, it's poorly handled fog implementation and I haven't spoken to anyone ingame so far who actually likes that crap. It gets extra bad if you're in a ship too, as if sailing isn't enough of a pain already.

+1 Improve the fog or let us turn that crap off.

• Like 1

i lived fog like that in real life here so lol you cant say its against realism,unless of course like everybody here you just use "realism" as an excuse to justify whatever you want.

and some people want to turn fog of,im sure some people would like to turn all timers off too so everything its instant,doesnt mean its a good idea just because if you want to you can still turn it on

• Like 1

the fact you dont like it doesnt mean it doesnt add to the game,i do like fog specially for sailing,which gets really boring pretty fast once you know the way around the servers

Edited by Brynden
  • Like 1

the fact you dont like it doesnt mean it doesnt add to the game,i do like fog specially for sailing,which gets really pretty fast once you know the way around the servers

+1 on option to change on and off

But its fine how it is, I can see just fine in fog no lag issues can see far enough to avoid aggressive mobs. Most people use roads to travel so fog doesnt effect travel issues by road you still see the hwys. Also boat travel is not effected much by fog using your compass bearing and map you can get around in pitch blackness. Plus crashing a boat is next to impossible now that coalition has been tweeked, also, if you traveled by boat before to and from wherever your going sailing experience is then used so fog doesnt effect a skilled boat driver. But as far as having the option to turn off something is nice. But don't blame the fog for simple wrong settings. I suggest playing with settings, turn off your lamps you would drive with you high beams on in fog the light reflects. so maybe try a low ql lamp. Along with graphics setting. You cab make you visibility better.

However if there was a way to turn off snow I would put a +1 on this. Its too bright but I change my settings accordingly

• Like 4

-1 I think fog should get even more dense then it already is, if this offends anyone or people start throwing the lag excuse around it's not that bad at all.

Edited by Bloodscythe
Moderation Edit
  • Like 1

-1 for adding possibility to toggle fog, but +1 to improving it visually.

• Like 2

IMO this suggestion is one of those first steps on the path to being able to toggle aggressive mobs or something like that. I like the ambience the fog gives and the challenges it produces. It's another facet of wurm that makes it different from other games and is part of the survival aspect of the game.

One might argue that that's all well and good, I can leave it toggled on, but that's not the point. For the sake of simplicity and ease of use, even many of the people who enjoy the challenges of fog would have it turned off. You might as well have it turned off permanently on PvP servers too because no one will give up the sight advantage there.

Basically in providing the toggle option, you may aswell remove fog entirely - which as you may have gathered, is not something I'd support either ;)

Agreed

This is not just a decorative ffeature, it provides challenge and constraint to navigation and is part of the shared world.

If we turn this off, then turning off night, rain and mobs is the next step. Then we might as well add a "Easy mode because I can't handle it" button.

I regret reading suggestions & ideas everytime I come here to take a chance... 3 years and I still havent learned my lesson *sigh*

• Like 1

Agreed

This is not just a decorative ffeature, it provides challenge and constraint to navigation and is part of the shared world.

If we turn this off, then turning off night, rain and mobs is the next step. Then we might as well add a "Easy mode because I can't handle it" button.

I regret reading suggestions & ideas everytime I come here to take a chance... 3 years and I still havent learned my lesson *sigh*

Since you use the same argument to fend off everything you feel uncomfortable with I'll just quote and reuse the reply I gave you in another thread:

Calling everything you don't like "easy mode" is just another way of trying to insult the people you are arguing with by insinuating that they in some way would be inferior to you and your abilities. Try to see beyond your own needs and see that what you consider "a challenge" or "good for the game" is often just something that you yourself find to be enjoyable just because you so happen to have figured out a way to cope with it without having anger outbursts.

I'm tired of the "I can handle this so it's not a problem" mentality of this playerbase. Not everything that is annoying and/or ugly actually adds something to the game - A lot of it could be vastly improved and the game would still be enjoyable. Often it would be improved by it and open up for a lot more people to actually have a positive gaming experience as opposed to being driven away.

• Like 2

The all the way cranked up fog where you can't see anything is unlike anything in any other game i've seen before, where they add wimpy weather mechanics then advertise it like 'oh huhu get lost in the rain and fog l0l'

In wurm you truly can end up all over the place in fog.

In pvp situations alone people have escaped from stuff and wound up on top of eachother without even knowing it because of it.

• Like 1

-1 for me.  Wurm is anchored in environmental challenges and this is one of them.  Not only do I see the value in and like the fog aspect to the game, I'd wish there were Fog monsters that would emerge when the fog rolls in.

• Like 1

-1 I usually turn off fog in games because it kills my frame rate, but I don't have the same problem in Wurm

Bring it on