Sign in to follow this  
Alesondra

Noobs Take On Housing

So, here I am at the Xanadu server. I left the coast and went inland to make a place to live. I traveled a far distance, ran away from trolls, spiders and wolves. Got a cow. Rode that for awhile but it was useless for riding because of the limits in how steep it can climb. I would rather have three large nails instead of a rope. Then I can make my rope and even more to make a fence. Everything is fine until I have to make a house. Trees to the left of me. Trees to the right of me. Trees behind me. Trees in front of me. Can I make a house with them. NO. No nails and no clay. Does anyone know you can make a house with trees only? You don't need one nail. You don't need one bit of clay. All you need are the trees that are in their millions mocking me because of nails and clay. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Are there no log houses in Sweden?

• Like 4

See this is why we need pegs instead of nails on the wood house walls and wood fence so new players dont have to hunt iron to get a secure base set up. 

You can get iron to make nails by rummaging on rock tiles or mining to find an iron vein. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 5

The basic lesson to be learned is, start somewhere easy, build a basic little house near a source of iron, whether it is rummage rock, or a public iron mine, then once you are ready, move to somewhere a little more challenging, like inland, up a mountain, or on a small island. It took me weeks to get myself all ready to move, but then I went for a fairly hefty challenge of an area too. 

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing! 

Did you try foraging for iron to make nails?

• Like 3

The basic lesson to be learned is, start somewhere easy, build a basic little house near a source of iron, whether it is rummage rock, or a public iron mine, then once you are ready, move to somewhere a little more challenging, like inland, up a mountain, or on a small island. It took me weeks to get myself all ready to move, but then I went for a fairly hefty challenge of an area too. 

This is great advice.

However, there is also no shame in joining a village, and moving out once you're ready to embark on your own adventure. I did it after three days of being griefed when I first joined Wurm, and I can honestly say, it improved the experience a thousand fold.

• Like 1

Alesandra,

Around the perimeters of the starter Villages on Xanadu you may find some Public Mines made by players for everyone the use, which usually will have some iron veins to mine. You may even find forges inside to smelt the iron to make a small anvil and then nails, as well as bulk bins stocked with fuel such as wood scraps or junk logs.

I know Glasshollow has one large Public Mine like this right next to it, so I would think other starter Villages have some like this as well. Then when you make a few basic needed items it will be much easier to move a bit further away to set up a small homestead. With low newbie skills everything takes a lot of time at the beginning, so no need to rush as only the stout hearted and patient will persevere.

=Ayes=

Thanks for sharing! 

Rummaging* =)

Rummaging. Yes. It is misnamed. It should be called Falling Down Mountains While Running From Beasts. I pity the poor noobian who is not lucky enough to quickly find ore. I have found some simply because of dumb luck. I was lost while trying to find a spot I saw on the map and went far beyond it and ended up at a mountain. The lowest mountain tile where I arrived told me there is iron near after i discovered prospecting. Going down either side I could find no more. So, dumb luck being lost came to my rescue. 

That does not change the topic. People can build huge complex ships with nothing more than wood. Yet I cannot make the most simple house using the same thing. Why? This game has been called a survival game but the most simple house cannot be made. This kind of house has been made for eons. This house IS the survivalist house. 

Then there is clay. Is there some taboo for going inland? Clay is needed for many things. But to haul it so far inland is suicide. Why are there no clay tiles inland?

• Like 2

Rummage can be done on any stone tile, i could find some iron this way on the shores of a lake. Prospecting is about finding metal veins, it won't help for rummaging some iron on stone tiles. Rummaging is the easiest way to find some iron, but you won't find much and it will not be high ql, though it will give you enough to make some nails.

By prospecting, you've detected an iron vein not far from where you were, that means if you start a mine there, you will find an iron vein next to it, however i don't advice this way if you only need a few nails, because it will require a lot of work to start the mine, and you'll need decent skills to do it.

About clay, you should find small patches of clay next to any water.

About boats, you're wrong, you'll need far more than wood to make big boats : tar, ropes, cloth and tools. Even a small sailing boat require a sail and some ropes.

Edit : though i agree the lack of nails is the most annoying thing for people starting from scratch. That's why i found the old GV server was better than the tutorial, you had to find a way to deal with nails before jumping into freedom. As the GV was very small, you could find very fast some people who mine ores for newbies starting the game.

Edited by Zzabur

I think you are confusing prospecting with rummaging... you can get the option to "rummage" on any rock tile, and can find low quality iron that way. No need to find a "spot" for it, just keep rummaging on rock tiles till you have enough.

Yes, as you already established in your OP, one cannot make a house out of wood alone in this game, and yes I can see how that can be annoying for a new player. Perhaps instead of repeatedly ranting about that one failure of realism, you could actually try taking on board the advice people have given you in this thread. Try rummaging, or better yet, try preparing some needed materials and equipment before moving out into the middle of nowhere. And if you are wondering about clay... you can find it inland, generally it will be found near water, so look for lakes and ponds. To begin with, you may do well also to stick to more inhabited areas (such as around starter towns) or even join a new-player-friendly village, who can help you not only with materials but with advice on playing.

Now you have been given plenty of advice in this thread, much of which, if you follow, you will most probably find your playing experience easier and more enjoyable. If your intention is still to rant and whine about the game's flaws, then it may be an indication that this game isn't for you. Wurm is a wonderful game that has an incredible amount of content and experiences to offer it's players, but it also requires a rather different mindset than most games. It rewards patience, curiosity, and ingenuity. If you are looking for quick and easy gratification you won't last very long. Either way, repeatedly pointing out the same problems every time you are given solutions to them is rather futile, not to mention boring. Good luck with the iron hunting, and hope your experiences playing wurm start to get better!

*Sigh* I am not confusing prospecting and rummaging. 

You can build a boat with wood and pegs. You don't need nails.

Clay should be away from water. Otherwise why have any inland at all?

Yes, I tried Falling Down Mountains While Running From Beasts. That's when I went to the wiki and found prospecting which I already know is not rummaging.

All of this advice is nice and appreciated and does not distract from the fact that log houses should be available. Which is really what the topic is about.

This would be a nice survival/exploration/adventure game with the addition of two things. The compass is probably one of the best things for a noob btw. 

• Like 1

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Build_house

this is a pretty good guide to get you started on building a house

a new player already has more than they need to get started

If you omit the need for nails, you are correct sir. That need is plainly spelled out in the house how to. :lol:

BTW, log houses have been asked for since I started years ago.

• Like 2

I think a log house would be cool! I imagine it smaller, not able to be built multistory, and more prone to decay than 'normal' wooden house.

You can survive without a house - just build some fences for safety to start with if needed. The tent was given out for a reason. Without iron you cant make locks so trolls and goblins and lava fiends would get into your log cabin anyway if you had one. And I would suggest picking a better spot for your house if there really is no iron around - or stop and ask whomever you can find for some help.

Edited by Journeya
  • Like 1

The critique here shouldn't be discarded because y'all know of ways to survive without houses or ways a house could be built more efficiently. This is a newbie and this is his/her input on one of the aspects of the game that he/she finds to be difficult and newbie-unfriendly. We all know that new player retention is very low in this game so it might be worth taking in input from someone who doesn't have 100+ days of ingame time and 300€ worth of gear to defend by claiming the game is flawless.

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing! 

This is awesome that a developer put input into this thread. May not have been the exact answer the OP was looking for. Then again it is more value knowing that the OP was heard by the dev team and the wheels might be turning on a new ingame item or craft.

For newbies just setting out making a lincoln log house out of just wood might be a good start. Limit the max ql of the item to say 20 and increase the decay rate a little on these houses meaning it would have to be repaired more often. An option like a thatch house or a shack of sorts just to secure your stuff in the wild for a week while you dig, mine, build a village.

I would love to see something like this!!

You don't need clay to make a wooden house? Hello? Idk why you are fussing over clay.

See this is why we need pegs instead of nails on the wood house walls and wood fence so new players dont have to hunt iron to get a secure base set up. 

You can get iron to make nails by rummaging on rock tiles or mining to find an iron vein. 

It would make so many locations viable for newbies if you could make wooden walls with wooden pegs. Finding iron is probably the toughest part of the game. (Ignoring the rummage option, which isn't really a long term solution)

Edited by Tinderlog

Getting iron and clay as a beginner could be better. It's sometimes stressful, you need clay to make a forge for example, I liked the peg idea from kegan wish that was a thing. Inland clay? Well being able to make clay using sand and dirt, or dirt and water. I think this would be better and little easier to get into the game.

Edited by Niki

We are requesting for log houses for years now, and this is a prime example of why they will be a much better add to the game than lambs or flower pots.

You should be able to make a basic log house without using a single nail just logs and the only required tools should be an hatchet to get the material and make the interlocking and a mallet to plan it.

• Like 1

You don't need clay to make a wooden house? Hello? Idk why you are fussing over clay.

Timber house is an option without iron, but then, it requires clay.

Edited by Anarres

I'm going to go a bit off the OP's thread like most have. Yes iron is hard to find for a newbie and yes we should have more building options but the problem I see here is

that so many new people have had experiences in a lot of the new survival games that leave you wanting to avoid contact with other people. Most of this game is on PVE servers and this

is a MMO, so talk in chat, talk in local, so many people willing to help it almost makes me want to vomit sometimes. Never a need to rage quit because you couldn't find iron.

Edited by Castile

If you look at the Xan map dump you'll see much of the interior has no discernible settlements. There's a reason for that. No clay. You can have all the help in the world...unless you want to settle the interior. Then some people whine about you being a hermit and you should have to live where everyone else lives cuz, after all, this is an MMO. And to be honest if I was a noob after reading the forums I'd want to avoid the griefing and drama and PVEP too.

I can see the devs put in a log house. It will be all wood. And a thatched roof that needs wire. That will take a tool that needs nails to make.  :lol:

• Like 1